Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has anyone recently (last week or so) had their 5 swapped out and able to report what iOS was on it? I will be doing it shortly and hoping for 6.1.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My boss did last week and it had 6.0.2 on it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Dave posted:

My boss did last week and it had 6.0.2 on it.

Thanks! Good indications there. Appreciate it.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Ugh, my launch-day iPhone 5 home and lock button are acting up big-time but I am disappointed about losing the jailbreak/google push mail/calendar. Such a first world problem.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

voltron posted:

Ugh, my launch-day iPhone 5 home and lock button are acting up big-time but I am disappointed about losing the jailbreak/google push mail/calendar. Such a first world problem.
Did you even read the last 3 posts?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Jailbreaking won't get push Gmail back (unless you use the Gmail app, but, yuck). Google shut off exchange access for new devices on regular Gmail accounts. It's grandfathered in on devices that were signed up before the cutoff, but if you get a warranty replacement phone you don't get to keep it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Space Gopher posted:

Jailbreaking won't get push Gmail back (unless you use the Gmail app, but, yuck). Google shut off exchange access for new devices on regular Gmail accounts. It's grandfathered in on devices that were signed up before the cutoff, but if you get a warranty replacement phone you don't get to keep it.

Why yuck about the Gmail app, I'm curious.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love the Gmail app. Been using it for months now and no complaints. Only recently switched to Mailbox.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Has anyone recently (last week or so) had their 5 swapped out and able to report what iOS was on it? I will be doing it shortly and hoping for 6.1.2

Picked up a new one two weeks ago with 6.1.2 on it.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

BlurriedNCBackground makes the notification center look really nice. You can guess how it looks but here's a gif from some random reddit post which made me aware of it:

Anyone know what winterboard theme is used in this gif?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

yardblog posted:

Anyone know what winterboard theme is used in this gif?

That particular theme is called Enkelt. The gif comes from this imgur album showcasing a bunch of tweaks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That particular theme is called Enkelt. The gif comes from this imgur album showcasing a bunch of tweaks.

This was very helpful. Thanks!

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Yea, but how does having a jailbreakable iOS version change my first-world Gmail push problem?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know a lightweight tweak that can redirect the "take screenshot" button other than activator?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone using LS Vignetti for the lockscreen? I can't seem to get the AM/PM on there. I've been looking around and it seems that a few people have that problem as well. Any ideas?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way I can have push and the ability to star (flag) messages if I'm using gmail?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way I can have push and the ability to star (flag) messages if I'm using gmail?

Gmail app?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I recently got my iPhone 5 and it came with iOS 6.0.2. Since I'd rather stay jailbroken, I'm stuck with that for the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know if 6.0.2 had any specific bugs that I should look out for?

Specifically, I feel like my phone drains the battery a lot faster than it should. This might just be me loving around with the phone all the time, but I'd rather double check.

There aren't any major issues, but one really annoying one:

iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2: Attachments sent or received via SMS, MMS, or iMessages are not properly "deleted". They are removed from the conversation window, but the file remains on the device.

What's worse is the files are part of the backup, which means they will eat up your iCloud storage space. If you frequently send hilarious cat GIFs to friends, you could end up with several gigabytes of files you thought you had deleted.

Just remember to clear out the contents of this directory:
/var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/*

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For those that are spergy about the battery percent/meter "live battery meter" is pretty cool. It puts a number inside a circle which is the meter as well

Anyone use active dock? Seems pretty cool, $2. It makes your dock like os10

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 23, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I wonder if there is anything on Cydia, (or for that matter anything I can do any other way, perhaps using a download manager and iFile?) that will help me with a small music art thing that's been bugging me.

I have quite a lot of mp3s on my iphone, and half of the album art isn't working, or the pictures are just wrong, presumably because a setting on the particular mp3 is wrong, or something, so Apple doesn't automatically scrape and download it. I am not going to have access to an actual computer for a couple of weeks, but this has really started pissing me off. Is there any way to get art without plugging into a computer? I know how to sort it out when I can finally plug into a PC with iTunes on it, just hoping for some quick fix now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can someone tell me what magical combination of settings I need to use between LockInfo, PopupKiller, and BiteSMS so that when my phone is locked, I don't get a popup AND a notification on the lockscreen? I just want LockInfo to display the incoming text and I only want popups to appear if the phone is unlocked. I cannot figure this out to save my loving life.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can someone tell me what magical combination of settings I need to use between LockInfo, PopupKiller, and BiteSMS so that when my phone is locked, I don't get a popup AND a notification on the lockscreen? I just want LockInfo to display the incoming text and I only want popups to appear if the phone is unlocked. I cannot figure this out to save my loving life.

BiteSMS > Settings > Quick Reply > Lock Mode > Auto Show Quick Reply OFF

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried Abstergo yet? It seems like the perfect complement to Mailbox, but if anyone has any first hand experiences, that'd be great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok I don't know how I went so long without swipe select. It's awesome. Great for copy/pasting or fixing errors. You swipe left or right anywhere over the letters on your keyboard and it moves your cursor too. Hit shift and it'll highlight from left to right and backspace will highlight right I left then just hit spacebar or backspace again to delete.

other cool ones I got

Transparentcamerabar - just what it says, change the opacity of it or turn it off completely

Alarming - makes your alarm go at max volume but doesn't permanently change your volume, you can change snooze duration, or turn on/off vibrate.

Wraparound - if you go all the way right on your pages it brings you to page 1. Go left and you're at spotlight, keep going left and you're at your last page

Active dock - I talked about it above, mostly just aesthetics but still cool

Iive battery indicator - battery percent in circle that also shows battery life left. Comes with some themes for winterboard (make a battery symbol with the number inside it)

Whozcalling - free caller id. Haven't gotten a random call yet - does it work?

Volume sensitivity - turns volume up/down twice as fast

Voiceutils - tell Siri to reboot, power off, respring, or open any app

Volumebuttonextender - control iPod playback with volume buttons.

Oh wow, probably get wake with weather too. After you acknowledge your alarm you type in ccommands questions and it'll send them to Siri. So you can have it tell you today's events, the weather, play music, etc. there's wake info too which seems to do the same poo poo but is free.
- edit oh that one doesn't use Siri

- edit - it seems volume button extender seems to send me info safe mode

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 24, 2013

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Anyone try out that Atom lock screen yet? Looks interesting. Wonder how it handles notifications.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Christoff posted:

Iive battery indicator - battery percent in circle that also shows battery life left. Comes with some themes for winterboard (make a battery symbol with the number inside it)
This is nice, I wouldn't mind seeing a version with some colour in it, say edge of the circle transitioning from green to red as your battery drains.

Christoff posted:

Whozcalling - free caller id. Haven't gotten a random call yet - does it work?

I'm hoping that this will work with iBlacklist as my work number shows up as unknown when they call me so I can't just turn on unknown blocking in iBlacklist.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Anyone try out that Atom lock screen yet? Looks interesting. Wonder how it handles notifications.

I bought it on a whim last night, love it. As far as notifications go, when you slide up to unlock, the notifications disappear in a slick little animation to reveal the app launcher thing.

I'm also curious about that whozcalling thing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kazy posted:

BiteSMS > Settings > Quick Reply > Lock Mode > Auto Show Quick Reply OFF

drat that is an obscure setting. I also wouldn't have thought to call that "Quick Reply" since it's the notification of the message and not the text edit box I associate with Quick Reply.

Thanks!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Bucket Joneses posted:

drat that is an obscure setting. I also wouldn't have thought to call that "Quick Reply" since it's the notification of the message and not the text edit box I associate with Quick Reply.

Thanks!
Doesn't it say reply right on it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It might? I just don't think of it as Quick Reply until I'm actually replying. It's just semantics, I agree.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Jailbreak friends: I have a bit of a weird question. I handle social for the company I work for and we've been trying to get into Vine. With Vine, you're forced to record the video from within the application and can't pull it in from an external source. With our lengthy approval processes, this basically means that we can't use Vine until we figure out a way to import video into it.

I was wondering, are there any jailbreak applications that change the capture source of a video from within applications? For example, instead of using the front or rear camera on an iPhone, I could set the capture source as a video, or maybe a line-in through one of those fancy cables that they make.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattdev posted:

Jailbreak friends: I have a bit of a weird question. I handle social for the company I work for and we've been trying to get into Vine. With Vine, you're forced to record the video from within the application and can't pull it in from an external source. With our lengthy approval processes, this basically means that we can't use Vine until we figure out a way to import video into it.

I was wondering, are there any jailbreak applications that change the capture source of a video from within applications? For example, instead of using the front or rear camera on an iPhone, I could set the capture source as a video, or maybe a line-in through one of those fancy cables that they make.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

One of my facebook friends put up a trailer for an indie video game by literally recording a screen playing the video he created

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

mewse posted:

One of my facebook friends put up a trailer for an indie video game by literally recording a screen playing the video he created

Yeah, that's sort of my last resort. I know we can take audio inputs, so that will be fine, but I was hoping we could do something a little less hacky.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

mattdev posted:

Yeah, that's sort of my last resort. I know we can take audio inputs, so that will be fine, but I was hoping we could do something a little less hacky.

Pretty sure what you're asking to do would violate their terms of service anyway. You might actually want to contact Vine and ask them directly how you would accomplish this.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattdev posted:

I found the article where my friend Kert explains his process to make the video for vine:

http://indiegames.com/2013/03/vlambeer_on_the_art_of_its_6-s.html

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

mewse posted:

I found the article where my friend Kert explains his process to make the video for vine:

http://indiegames.com/2013/03/vlambeer_on_the_art_of_its_6-s.html

Ha, filming the screen. I'll have to give this a shot and see how it works!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It appears that the page "caniunlock" in the OP is outdated I think, and googling only seems to yield results for services which cost money. I have an iPhone 4S running 6.1.2 and jailbroken - is there a way to unlock for me?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Anjow posted:

It appears that the page "caniunlock" in the OP is outdated I think, and googling only seems to yield results for services which cost money. I have an iPhone 4S running 6.1.2 and jailbroken - is there a way to unlock for me?

While the iPhone 4S and newer has a SIM card slot, your carrier matters, mostly.

Have AT&T? Yes. Between $5-$35 will get you a permanent unlock that allows usage of the device around the world.

http://chronicunlocks.com/
AT&T: $25/$35
T-Mobile: $130
Verizon: $140

Unlocks on eBay are a lot cheaper.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Christ, I'm on EE UK and it says $175 and 5-20 days! That's awful. Are there no software unlocks these days?

Does anyone have experience with the SIM unlocks? Where you buy a SIM thing which allows you to use any network.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
There hasn't been a software-unlockable baseband released in almost three years.

Plus, software unlocks were crap. They required you to stay on the old baseband (from 2010), forced you to rely on certain packages to be kept up to date (ultrasn0w), prevented upgrading iOS (you couldn't use a stock IPSW), etc. It required that you stay jailbroken, even if you didn't want to.
And in the case of the 3GS, it encouraged people to flash a hosed up baseband firmware that messed up the GPS at the very least, or permanently bricked the radio on some.

An unlocked iPhone can cost up to $850 in the US. More in other countries. You have to decide if it is worth $175 to you.

• Locked thread