Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So I'm really enjoying this game, despite my massive complaining post about it, and I was wondering about the other games in this series. How is Nocturne compared to Persona 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I'm really enjoying this game, despite my massive complaining post about it, and I was wondering about the other games in this series. How is Nocturne compared to Persona 4?

Hard. Also, no high school shenanigans, mainline SMT games usually occur during post apocalyptic events so they're pretty dark. Battle system is totally different.

Edit: A good hard I mean.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also a lot less accessible too, it lacks some of the features that makes Persona 4 less tedious than other JRPGs, big example being you can't choose fusion skills. Honestly if you're not a fan of hard dungeon-crawlers I'd say just skip it, I found P4 a lot more fun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fusion skill choosing being cribbed from Devil Survivor was probably one of the best choices Atlus could have made for P4G.

But I honestly never found min/maxing demon skills to be that necessary so I never played fusion roulette in the older titles.

e: Also Nocturne is much much better than Persona 4 from a gameplay/story perspective but it's not for everyone.

Of course I prefer JRPGs that give you the story more naturally than 3 hour cutscene dumps so that's colored my perspective on the matter :v:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 25, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I prefer the battle system, but it can be rather difficult if you're used to the easy level of difficulty Persona 4 brought to the table. Some of the mechanics are a bit more obtuse (namely some of the fusions are pretty obscure, and I don't know how you'd find them, i.e. Gurr is doing a sacrifice fusion with two demons that make Sparna and then sacrificing a Tyrant, what? :psyduck:) The dungeons are far, far more involved and not procedurally generated like the Persona dungeons, which is a large part of why I like it better.

Also the main character beats demons to death with his bare hands and can also fire lasers out of his skull and breathe fog. Nocturne is rad as hell.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you liked Persona 4 then you will almost certainly like 3 as well, they're really similar games. You should probably play that next if this is your first one. Non-Persona games in the SMT series don't have the whole "balance daily life with dungeons" thing.

Does Nocturne have random battles? edit: 5 seconds on Google tell me that both Persona 2 and Nocturne have random battles.

Ara fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 25, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also another reason why everyone should play Nocturne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KeHYA44qKU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nocturne is also the reason that I alway keep Matador in my deck for Persona 4. Just so I can watch him, make sure he isn't going to try anything unfortunate like wiping the party like 600 times.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rurik posted:

Small town high school.

I'm from a small town and I knew the names of at least half of my high school and certainly everyone in my grade. My graduating class had 45 students. When you grow up in a small town, yeah, you do get to know who everyone is, even if you don't regularly associate with them.

Oh, and I cosplayed last weekend.

I went out to a drink and draw event at a bar while still in my costume and a guy handed me his name and number on a piece of paper because he "was so taken by my Persona".

I've never really been hit on while in a bar before, let alone while being dressed like a dude.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I guess it just comes down to whether or not you like dudes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I guess it just comes down to whether or not you like dudes.

I like dudes (and ladies), but I happen to be engaged to a particular dude. :)

Oh, and I also saw a Chie while waiting in line at the convention, but she wasn't interested in saying hi or getting photos or anything. Chie didn't want to social link with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I like dudes (and ladies), but I happen to be engaged to a particular dude. :)

Oh, and I also saw a Chie while waiting in line at the convention, but she wasn't interested in saying hi or getting photos or anything. Chie didn't want to social link with me.

Chie's just upset about getting upstaged in P4G by Kanji's new Power Charge.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Rurik posted:

Ok, this game is awesome, but after nearly finishing it for the third time (first time for Golden though), I have to say which things bother me.

The concert thing is pretty outlandish, but the fact that there is an audience is explained by A) The event having been planned in advance and the need for a band being an emergency measure and B) the fact that a very popular teen idol would be performing exclusively, in a small backwater town no less.

Yukiko is popular by the game's own admission, and since Chie is always with her, it isn't surprising that people know her as well. Similarly, this is a really small town and everybody knows everybody, as established by pretty much every character.

Marie sucks until the end then she's awesome.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's established early in the game that Chie is popular in her own right. I think Yukiko mentions she's friends with a lot of boys and they consider her to be "one of the guys." Also, I'm sure everyone in town has sees and hears her training all the time. :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nearing the end of my first playthrough, and man when this game hits its stride, it hits it hard. I just got the last member of my crew and hit one of those nice long 'Build Social Links' periods. I figured out Fusing and got some kickass personas, I have all but 2 of my party at level 10 Social Link (and like, 2-3 outsiders too) and I'm just having a blast teaching one guy that knitting is awesome or one girl that she has to be her own person.

Also I ended up dating everyone at the same time. It's kinda funny that the game doesn't seem to give a poo poo about that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Nearing the end of my first playthrough, and man when this game hits its stride, it hits it hard. I just got the last member of my crew and hit one of those nice long 'Build Social Links' periods. I figured out Fusing and got some kickass personas, I have all but 2 of my party at level 10 Social Link (and like, 2-3 outsiders too) and I'm just having a blast teaching one guy that knitting is awesome or one girl that she has to be her own person.

Also I ended up dating everyone at the same time. It's kinda funny that the game doesn't seem to give a poo poo about that.

Ahahahahahahahah. You say that now...:allears:

EDIT: vvv Oh, the PS2 version. That's a shame.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think he's playing the PS2 version, in which yeah there really are no repercussions.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, PS2 version. Spoiler what would have been the comeuppance for my polyamorous ways?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, PS2 version. Spoiler what would have been the comeuppance for my polyamorous ways?

The Vita version goes a couple of months further So you can get to Valentina's day. Your max S Link GFs will call you and if you turn them down because of someone else they'll give you a tearful speech about how they thought they were special and you're a horrible person.

Not everyone does it though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

In Golden, Valentines Day is one of the new dating events for the game, but you can only go out with one girl during the event. So you get to individually turn down every girl except the one of your choice, and they react about as well as you'd expect.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rurik posted:

In P4 Golden the Junes concert was the same kind cause of disbelief. I can totally see a group of friends going to the beach and having fun there, but giving a concert for a big audience after practicing for a day is something else entirely. It pushes things way too far.

It's a story about mystery solving teenage do-gooders with a zany animal mascot. It's basically mandatory that they be a band to save the day at some point.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Really Pants posted:

It's a story about mystery solving teenage do-gooders with a zany animal mascot. It's basically mandatory that they be a band to save the day at some point.

They should have really included a dog as a character though like in a certain prequel and Yu should have gotten a van to drive from Dojima. Also, the band social link was a lot worse then some concert which had it's funny moments.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Really Pants posted:

There's a stretch of Persona 4: Golden where it straight-up turns into an episode of Saved by the Bell.

It's called The Best Part. :colbert:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Um, can anyone help me with Ameno-sagiri? I was going along just fine, attacking, Matarakarning and healing, had taken off over half his health, gotten past the fog section by guarding, and then he suddenly just used two Megidolas in a row with zero warning and everyone went from full health to dead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

caligulamprey posted:

There's a stretch of Persona 4: Golden where it straight-up turns into an episode of Saved by the Bell.

It's called The Best Part. :colbert:

Is Yosuke Screech?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is Yosuke Screech?
Comic relief constantly striking out with girls - shouldn't Teddie be Screech?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nessa posted:

I cosplayed last weekend.

You are really cool. :allears:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

BreakAtmo posted:

Um, can anyone help me with Ameno-sagiri? I was going along just fine, attacking, Matarakarning and healing, had taken off over half his health, gotten past the fog section by guarding, and then he suddenly just used two Megidolas in a row with zero warning and everyone went from full health to dead.

Is this a reoccurring thing? I don't recall that boss doing that when I beat him. Could have just been a bad RNG roll. I'd say just try again. :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Since you're essentially safe while he buffs, you should throw out some buffs/Dekunda when he's preparing, as well as Dekaja once he becomes vulnerable again. I've never been killed like that before in that fight, but try it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bogart posted:

Is this a reoccurring thing? I don't recall that boss doing that when I beat him. Could have just been a bad RNG roll. I'd say just try again. :)

This might be the case. I've had annoying bosses unexpectedly kill me by getting a lucky weakness hit or two, but this was the first time the attacks were just straight up 'do enough damage to wipe everyone's health' after I'd gone through half the battle just fine. Now I have to beat Adachi all over again too, and very possibly just get killed by the same double Megidola. gently caress. Atlus really pisses me off sometimes. "Yeah, lets put two bosses in a row, give the second boss no lead-up and really powerful attacks, not heal the party between fights, etc. I'm all for challenge, but a lot of the time it feels more "Oh, you're not literally psychic? Die now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Grimace posted:

You are really cool. :allears:

Thanks! :3:

It was really fun, but now I know not to wear a magnetic nose stud in my nose for 16 hours. My nose is still healing from that.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

This might be the case. I've had annoying bosses unexpectedly kill me by getting a lucky weakness hit or two, but this was the first time the attacks were just straight up 'do enough damage to wipe everyone's health' after I'd gone through half the battle just fine. Now I have to beat Adachi all over again too, and very possibly just get killed by the same double Megidola. gently caress. Atlus really pisses me off sometimes. "Yeah, lets put two bosses in a row, give the second boss no lead-up and really powerful attacks, not heal the party between fights, etc. I'm all for challenge, but a lot of the time it feels more "Oh, you're not literally psychic? Die now.

There's always the chance that you're too weak to fight him level-wise and even though you've got a solid plan, that means nothing when he can drop you whenever he wants. Are you and the three members you're bringing for the fight in the 70s?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, you might be underleveled. Adachi isn't really hard enough that he should give you any real trouble.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

There's always the chance that you're too weak to fight him level-wise and even though you've got a solid plan, that means nothing when he can drop you whenever he wants. Are you and the three members you're bringing for the fight in the 70s?

Yep, they're early-to-mid 70s. Like I said, I got through more than half the fight just fine, surviving his attacks, healing, doing decent damage, etc. Then he used 2 Megidolas and I just died, immediately after using a Mediarahn. It was basically a completely unannounced mid-battle difficulty spike.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, you might be underleveled. Adachi isn't really hard enough that he should give you any real trouble.

Oh, he didn't give me real trouble, I was just referring to the annoyance of having to spend time fighting him again. I'll kill him, I'd just much prefer to not have to. It's Shadow Rise and Shadow Teddie all over again, without the mid-battle heal.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 5, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

Yep, they're early-to-mid 70s. Like I said, I got through more than half the fight just fine, surviving his attacks, healing, doing decent damage, etc. Then he used 2 Megidolas and I just died, immediately after using a Mediarahn. It was basically a completely unannounced mid-battle difficulty spike.

I remember always having Debilitate active on the boss. Are you using buffs? Marakukaja and Masukukaja are definitely worth using along with Debilitate, which is most easily gotten from Trumpeter.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

That's really drat odd then. I'd probably get everyone to go up about one or two more levels and try again. Make sure if any party member isn't going to do anything useful (i.e. if it's not worth trying to cause damage or if all buffs are up) for the round that they just block and to make sure that your own Personas are up to snuff. Two Megidolas in a row is the shittiest thing but there's no way to defend against that reliably. Just know that if you're strong enough to survive that, you can survive anything he throws at you.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I remember always having Debilitate active on the boss. Are you using buffs? Marakukaja and Masukukaja are definitely worth using along with Debilitate, which is most easily gotten from Trumpeter.

I did use some buffs, but they weren't constantly active, which is hopefully something I can fix the next time. I've never even heard of Debilitate.

For reference, here are my current Personae.

Lv64 Uriel
Lv61 Belphegor
Lv74 Jatayu
Lv69 Siegfried
Lv67 Hokuto Seiken
Lv71 Loki
Lv68 Yatagarasu
Lv65 Ananta
Lv70 Barong
Lv60 Daisoujou
Lv77 Tzizimitl
Lv59 Harati

I probably just to use a Goho-M and do some fusion.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

I did use some buffs, but they weren't constantly active, which is hopefully something I can fix the next time. I've never even heard of Debilitate.

Debilitate is one of the best spells in the game. It's an all-in-one debuff (the same as casting Tarunda+Rakunda+Sukunda) for one target, which works wonders for boss battles.

Trumpeter is one of the special six-way fusions. Norn can get it too if you have maxed out Fortune and you fuse Clotho+Lachesis+Atropos.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Debilitate is one of the best spells in the game. It's an all-in-one debuff (the same as casting Tarunda+Rakunda+Sukunda) for one target, which works wonders for boss battles.

Trumpeter is one of the special six-way fusions. Norn can get it too if you have maxed out Fortune and you fuse Clotho+Lachesis+Atropos.

Sounds like something I want. Sadly I haven't been able to max out Fortune yet, and I doubt I have the six different Personae for Trumpeter. My maxed social links are Fool and Star(obviously), Priestess, Chariot, Sun, and Aeon. Are their maxed Personae good for anything here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

Sounds like something I want. Sadly I haven't been able to max out Fortune yet, and I doubt I have the six different Personae for Trumpeter. My maxed social links are Fool and Star(obviously), Priestess, Chariot, Sun, and Aeon. Are their maxed Personae good for anything here?

Everything but Taotie you can find through Shuffle Time, so chances are you have what you need in the Compendium. Taotie is the lowest level Persona of the Tower Arcana, so fuse something like Slime+Saki Mitama+Obariyon for it. Obariyon should be the highest leveled of the three for this particular fusion.

• Locked thread