Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is there a browser setting or a different browser that can remember your place when you navigate and go back on Yahoo.com? Your position just gets forgotten in the stock browser and Opera, both the left and right scrolling top portion and the scrolling bottom portion. I should just give up on it but it's kind of nagging at me that the browsers can't seem to do simple stuff like remember that kind of thing, especially when there are over 30 items to scroll through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sickfallout
May 6, 2007
Boortz Boortz
Does anyone have any recommendations for a combination music / podcast player? I pretty much exclusively use bluetooth audio, so I'm trying to find one app that'll do everything, because the headset controls never seem to control the app I currently want to use when moving between PowerAmp and BeyondPod. I've been using doubletwist for now, but the podcast support is not great at the moment. Any ideas?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Wagonburner posted:

Also, Tinyshark? Is anyone making an alt to this to play from grooveshark? This app was pulled from the market back in gingerbread days, I still have the apk from back then, just looked today at the dev website, it has the same old version for download, abandoned I guess. It's buggy as hell.
The official Grooveshark app works great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of a phone app that works with Google Voice like GrooveIP, but has better a connection? I constantly have people tell me that I'm dropping in and out when I talk to them.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Cross-posting from the phone thread:

Got my One today and I'm trying to set it up. HTC removed the default android/sense email widget and only left GMail there...

What's a good email widget that will work with the Sense mail client? I REALLY want instant view of my outlook mailbox...

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Cruseydr posted:

The official Grooveshark app works great.

I never knew there was one. I'm playing with it now. As far as I can tell I can't play or queue up any song I want unless I pay monthly? just does pandora-like radio-station things?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Wagonburner posted:

I never knew there was one. I'm playing with it now. As far as I can tell I can't play or queue up any song I want unless I pay monthly? just does pandora-like radio-station things?
Correct, you have to pay to have full access.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there a good replacement for ES File Explorer? The new update just keeps crashing and I'd like to pull files from my shared desktop folder to my tablet.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Good news for those of you using Frost browser (or Beaver as it was once called in the OP). We just partnered with DuckDuckGo to integrate their search engine into our browser. Privacy is our #1 priority and it just so happens to be theirs as well. They don't save queries, users information, or filter search results based on user profiling. So now even your searches are totally private.

We're aiming at including this in our next update along with a fairly significant UI rehaul. We're ditching ye olde options menu and using fancy new sliding menus and action bars, even if you are still on gingerbread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grawl posted:

Is there a good replacement for ES File Explorer? The new update just keeps crashing and I'd like to pull files from my shared desktop folder to my tablet.
Try clearing the defaults in Settings > Clean settings.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Grawl posted:

Have you tried clearing app data/cache?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grawl posted:

Try X-plore. It's been great so far.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

Not sure if you already know about it or if it'll work for your purposes, but go to http://html5.grooveshark.com on your mobile device and it's full, free access.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of a phone app that works with Google Voice like GrooveIP, but has better a connection? I constantly have people tell me that I'm dropping in and out when I talk to them.

Talkatone and GrooveIP are intermittently and alternatively the best GV clients. Install both, use whichever is working best at the moment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grawl posted:

LastInLine posted:

Try clearing the defaults in Settings > Clean settings.
I should clarify that I meant the settings in ES. This will leave your configuration for your network shares untouched. If that doesn't work follow big mean giraffe's advice.

On another note, I'm so glad that installing Swype from the Play Store erased my dictionary again. I'd be more upset if I hadn't had to reenter every curse word I know so many times in the years I've been dealing with Swype.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
ES crashes when starting up, even when deleting the buffer etc. Will look at X-plore, thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grawl posted:

Will look at X-plore, thanks.
I just did this and holy christ:

:stare:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well, it's not like they could have changed the interface since the days of Series 60. That would demonstrate a lack of commitment.

Fake Edit: Oh holy wow, JBak Task Manager is still a thing too!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Thermopyle, still having trouble using voice commands with your Bluetooth? Do you have Tasker? This will likely solve your problem.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

I just did this and holy christ:

:stare:

I don't see the problem here. Adding a Holo action bar fixes all bad design choices, remember?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

On another note, I'm so glad that installing Swype from the Play Store erased my dictionary again. I'd be more upset if I hadn't had to reenter every curse word I know so many times in the years I've been dealing with Swype.

Why weren't you syncing your dictionary to the cloud? All I had to do was log back in and my dictionary showed up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, lately when I try to update certain apps (Instagram, Chrome Beta, and a few others) I get an "insufficient storage available" error. But, the thing is that I have 6 gigs of storage left and 99% of my apps update fine. I can also install basically any app that I want. What gives?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

So, lately when I try to update certain apps (Instagram, Chrome Beta, and a few others) I get an "insufficient storage available" error. But, the thing is that I have 6 gigs of storage left and 99% of my apps update fine. I can also install basically any app that I want. What gives?
Phone model and OS version?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Phone model and OS version?

poo poo, sorry. It's actually my Nexus 7 on 4.2.2

Edit: Can you not edit text with ES any more? I've selected RW in the file explorer menu, but I have to recheck it each time I open the app

XIII fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 25, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

XIII posted:

I had this problem with Puzzle Craft the other day and the only way I was able to fix it was to back up the app in titanium backup then uninstall and reinstall from the play store.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I had this problem with Puzzle Craft the other day and the only way I was able to fix it was to back up the app in titanium backup then uninstall and reinstall from the play store.

I uninstalled Chrome Beta and it wouldn't let me install it again. Just kept giving me the same error. I ended up installing Chrome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of EStrongs, is there a way to give myself access to my whole computer after logging in to the share? I have some folders shared on the network, but it would be nice to be able to access anything since I'm actually logging in, not just browsing shared stuff.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

hooah posted:

Speaking of EStrongs, is there a way to give myself access to my whole computer after logging in to the share? I have some folders shared on the network, but it would be nice to be able to access anything since I'm actually logging in, not just browsing shared stuff.

You can right-click any drive in windows and setup a share for the whole drive if that's what you mean.

Depending on your windows version and how it's setup you may already have built-in hidden shares to the drives that admin-level accounts can access. These shares are the drive letter with a $ after, c$, d$, e$ etc. Never mind on that, I'm not sure how you could browse a hidden share with ES since you have to access your shares via the root-level share.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 25, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Hey Thermopyle, still having trouble using voice commands with your Bluetooth? Do you have Tasker? This will likely solve your problem.

Nice. It looks like I'll be able to set this up to start Google Now.

So, press voice command button on my head unit, and have this Tasker plugin start Google Now.

I'll look in to that more later. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wagonburner posted:

You can right-click any drive in windows and setup a share for the whole drive if that's what you mean.
Thanks, this worked.

quote:

Depending on your windows version and how it's setup you may already have built-in hidden shares to the drives that admin-level accounts can access. These shares are the drive letter with a $ after, c$, d$, e$ etc. Never mind on that, I'm not sure how you could browse a hidden share with ES since you have to access your shares via the root-level share.

Is there something I can do about the few drive letters I have with $ after them? Make them hidden to the phone or something?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So what's the deal with apps like Spotify or PocketCasts and resuming playback via BT?

For example, I'm listening to PocketCasts via BT in my vehicle. I shut off vehicle, get out, come back 15 minutes later. 50% of the time, I can press play on my headunit and the podcast starts right back up. The other 50% of the time I have to get out my phone and start playback manually. Many of the times where the head unit won't resume playback, the widget is still on my lockscreen, though some times it isn't.

It's quite a stupid system. I'd rather it just never work or just always work. Not this flip-of-the-coin nonsense.

Galaxy Nexus with CM 10.1 nightlies, but it's always been this way...even when I was on stock.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Try pausing playback manually from the car before you turn it off. I found that my car didn't always send the pause command before it broke the BT connection which left the app (Audible in my case) in a weird state. It always sends the unpause command when I start it up though.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 25, 2013

Arcology
Nov 6, 2012
So I just recently upgraded to a shiny new HTC One after 2 1/2 years on a lovely Evo Shift. Is there a painless way to take all the contact info on my phone and either upload it to Google's cloud or just transfer it over to the new phone? A few of the contacts in my phone somehow got saved to my Gmail contacts, but most of them seem to be stored on phone for whatever reason - is there an app I can use to save all the contacts stored on my phone into my Google account?

sedaps
Jan 29, 2004

Arcology posted:

So I just recently upgraded to a shiny new HTC One after 2 1/2 years on a lovely Evo Shift. Is there a painless way to take all the contact info on my phone and either upload it to Google's cloud or just transfer it over to the new phone? A few of the contacts in my phone somehow got saved to my Gmail contacts, but most of them seem to be stored on phone for whatever reason - is there an app I can use to save all the contacts stored on my phone into my Google account?

I have the exact problem except coming over from iPhone. Hoping there's a good way to do this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why weren't you syncing your dictionary to the cloud? All I had to do was log back in and my dictionary showed up.
I was. Installing the Play Store version overwrote my dictionary with the new blank one.

XIII posted:

Edit: Can you not edit text with ES any more? I've selected RW in the file explorer menu, but I have to recheck it each time I open the app
This is pissing me off too. It wasn't like this in the beta.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I was. Installing the Play Store version overwrote my dictionary with the new blank one.

That's strange. I installed the play version, uninstalled the beta, signed in to the cloud service, hit "sync now" and waited a couple minutes and all my words showed up.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone else think that DoggCatcher is still a better podcast app than PocketCasts? PocketCasts is way, way prettier, but DoggCatcher's myriad settings and no-nonsense performance make it the winner for me. PC is just too FlipBoard/feedly-esque.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

Radbot posted:

Anyone else think that DoggCatcher is still a better podcast app than PocketCasts? PocketCasts is way, way prettier, but DoggCatcher's myriad settings and no-nonsense performance make it the winner for me. PC is just too FlipBoard/feedly-esque.

After using DoggCatcher for years, I made the switch to PocketCasts after the redesign. I don't need all the fancy options, and like the UI better. If they allowed subfolders in the custom_episodes folder, it would be perfect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I came back to PocketCasts after the Google Reader closing announcement, and it was good for a while, then I noticed that it stopped updating some podcasts. Astronomy cast hasn't had any new episodes downloaded since February 14th, despite there being new episodes posted on their website, and Science Friday stopped showing up in PC after April 12th. I've emailed the dev twice now, and he/they was/were always very responsive in the past, but not so much now. Kinda disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Radbot posted:

I loved PocketCasts before the update but the new one seems like a step back in usability. It sure is prettier though.

• Locked thread