Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I suppose the original basis of chili was meat simmered in enchilada sauce (mole rojo), but I've seen old Mexican women get into fistfights over what constitutes enchilada sauce. If the original cuisine can't come to an agreement over a single ingredient, why should it's descendant come to an agreement on the whole dish? Deliciousness is found in variety, and I'm willing to call it all chili, even the sad stuff with ground beef and beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I put bacon in my chili tonight.

It was glorious.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
How long does chili usually last when stored in the fridge? The good ol' smell test would be adequate enough to test if it's safe for eating wouldn't it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

adorai posted:

It was glorious.

Bacon makes everything glorious.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

adorai posted:

It was glorious.

Fry the bacon first and then dice it into the chili pot. Then sauté the onions/jalapeños/whatever in the grease for maximum effect. Best way to do breakfast tacos too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

fuckpot posted:

How long does chili usually last when stored in the fridge? The good ol' smell test would be adequate enough to test if it's safe for eating wouldn't it?

I'd say a week.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fuckpot posted:

A week but chili is something you can stick in the freezer and reheat without much difficulty or taste loss too.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
What about the freezer? I have some stuff from January/February I'm wondering about...

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

What about the freezer? I have some stuff from January/February I'm wondering about...

Probably a year in the freezer.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

sfwarlock posted:

Things don't really go bad in a freezer, they just degrade in quality over time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I made just a bit of chili today.

(with tomatoes!)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am afraid to ask what the yellow chunks are.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Garlic/onions, phone takes lovely pics under our fluorescent lighting.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Doom Rooster posted:

A little sweet corn in chili can be a great addition. Adds some color among other things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Crazyeyes posted:

A little sweet corn in chili can be a great addition. Adds some color among other things.

If you're wondering what that stomping sound you can hear out your window is, it's the sound of thousands of pitchfork wielding chilli Goons marching on your location with murder in their eyes.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Crazyeyes posted:

As an added bonus, the chili looks the exact same way coming out as it did going in.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

If you're wondering what that stomping sound you can hear out your window is, it's the sound of thousands of pitchfork wielding chilli Goons marching on your location with murder in their eyes.
Eh, I always put a *CAN* of sweet corn in my chili. It really does add some nice texture, and fits the theme of, "whatever you can find on the trail".

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I just made some with smoked paprika, ancho, and cayanne powders and fresh birds eye chilis. God its so good but so so hot I can't eat a whole bowl of it in one go...

Edit: And for any Scottish/Edinburgh goons who don't know about it Lupe Pintos is a dedicated chili and spice shop!

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

Eh, I always put a *CAN* of sweet corn in my chili. It really does add some nice texture, and fits the theme of, "whatever you can find on the trail".

Sweet corn isn't a thing that you can find on a trail.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Edit: And for any Scottish/Edinburgh goons who don't know about it Lupe Pintos is a dedicated chili and spice shop!

As an Edinburgh Goon I can testify that Lupe Pinto's is great, there's also one in the West End of Glasgow.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

withak posted:

Sweet corn isn't a thing that you can find on a trail.

If you don't take a can of corn with you camping, can you really say you camped at all?

Corn is good in chili. It may not be red/brown like normal chili ingredients (excluding tomatillo-based chilis of course), but that is no grounds for discrimination.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The man called 'Doc' stiffened his back at the noise.
He wasn't really a doctor of anything, and he didn't even remember how he'd gotten the name. He'd been out on the trail so long and seen so much, what did it matter anyhow.
He unholstered his weapon against a backdrop of lowing cattle and lightly whistling winds.
"It's right behind you, Tex..."
Tex looked up from the cattle brand he was forging by hand in the campfire.
"Can you see it?"
"Yep."
He waited, motionlessly. A cow mooed and his hand flashed to his gun. One shot and his target jumped, then lay motionless behind Tex.
It was a can of sweet corn. From Iowa, likely. But now it was dead and these cowpokes were due some grub.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

bunnielab posted:

This is a good argument against sticking them in at all really.

Tomatoes give it a good base, I don't get it. Otherwise you have meat in a thin gravy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Saint Darwin posted:

Otherwise you have meat in a thin gravy.

You are either putting in too much liquid, or not cooking it long enough. The chilies are more than enough thickening power if you are doing it properly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I see that there. posted:

He wasn't really a doctor of anything, and he didn't even remember how he'd gotten the name. He'd been out on the trail so long and seen so much, what did it matter anyhow.
He unholstered his weapon against a backdrop of lowing cattle and lightly whistling winds.
"Can you see it?"
"Yep."
He waited, motionlessly. A cow mooed and his hand flashed to his gun. One shot and his target jumped, then lay motionless behind Tex.
It was a can of sweet corn. From Iowa, likely. But now it was dead and these cowpokes were due some grub.

After skinning and cleaning the can of corn, Tex watched while Chip strung it up carefully over the fire. They patiently waited while the niblets rendered, running down the can in hot rivulets.

When the corn was finally done, and portioned out into the dented tin bowls that had long since seen their best days, they sat wordlessly around the fire.

Chip noticed Doc hadn't touched his food.

"Doc, what's wrong? It ain't but six hours until dawn, and we've still got a lot of ground to cover."

Doc remained stonily silent for a moment, and when his gaze turned to him with bright, piercing eyes, it was enough to make Chip shiver.

"I guess I just don't have an appetite for this, Chip. Right after I shot it, I knew it for what it was. This food, in your bowls...I've seen it before. It's from...New York City."

Chip and Tex gaped open-mouthed, and in their strong Southern drawls, incredulously intoned "NEW YORK CITY?"

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I see that there. posted:

"Can you see it?"
"Yep."

Sounds like :911: to me.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So I'm making chili tomorrow and wanted to get opinions on my planned recipe.

Meat:
16 oz blade steak
One pound sirloin tip
half package bacon

Peppers:
Two poblano
Two anaheim
Fourish serrano
half can chipotles in adobo with a bit of the sauce

All of the above will be roughly diced

Other poo poo:
Two to three Tbs of chili powder made from arbols, guajillos, anchos, cumin seed, paprika, and a bit fresh cinnamon
An amount of an oatmeal stout I'm fond of but cannot remember the name of at the moment
Possibly brown sugar for a bit of sweetness
Half to a head of garlic crushed with a clever
One Red onion

I'll be cooking it all in my cast iron dutch oven. Bacon first to sear the meat in the grease. The peppers, onion, and garlic in that drippings/grease real quick then deglaze it all with the beer. Dump in the powder and sugar and let it sit in the oven for as long as possible. I wouldn't mind if it had a bit more heat but I'm making it for a group of people so I don't want it too intense.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

render bacon, remove bacon, sear beef, remove beef, lightly caramelize onions and peppers, add garlic, deglaze, reduce 1/2, add meats back, add chili powder. I'd skip the sugar peronally. Simmer for hours.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I think it sounds good. I think the sugar could add a depth, but then I always add a pinch to any savory dish. Definitely render and remove bacon, either use it for garnish or fold back in at the end. I personally think soggy bacon doesn't add much to any dish, but you're right on using the smokey bacon grease to caramelize your onions etc.

good luck with your ApprovedByOneTrueChiliProponents chili!

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
More low heat chilis to form a base (rehydrated anchos and a quick run through the blender are a good choice).

Do not cook it "as long as possible." Only cook it long enough that the chunks of meat just start to loosen up. Use some sort of ground meat as filler rather than cooking your cubed meat into a paste.

Bacon is good, but a half a package is overkill. I would start with like three pieces and adjust from there.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I completely forgot to take pictures but thank you all very much for the advice. The chili came out loving amazing, I put a little too much liquid in but it still held up fine. Next batch I'll make drat sure to get some good snapshots.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Thanks for the heads-up! I paid them a visit the other day to stock up & just made my first ever chili using real chilis rather than powder. Dicing a big ol' pile of mushy reconstituted chilis was a bit of a pain (I really need to get a blender) but it definitely paid off -- the taste is a lot more interesting than I'm used to.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

k3nn posted:

Thanks for the heads-up! I paid them a visit the other day to stock up & just made my first ever chili using real chilis rather than powder. Dicing a big ol' pile of mushy reconstituted chilis was a bit of a pain (I really need to get a blender) but it definitely paid off -- the taste is a lot more interesting than I'm used to.

I'd recommend a food processor over a blender unless you have other things you are wanting to blend.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

cornface posted:

I'd recommend a food processor over a blender unless you have other things you are wanting to blend.

Get an immersion (stick) blender. Throw chilis into a bowl, shove blender in, done. Also very cheap and very multi-purpose (one of my most used gadgets).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

rj54x posted:

Get an immersion (stick) blender. Throw chilis into a bowl, shove blender in, done. Also very cheap and very multi-purpose (one of my most used gadgets).

On the other side of this: I have a stick blender and hate the drat thing. Maybe using it wrong or have a lovely one, but "stick in and done" is a lie as far as my experience with it goes. Food processor is the way to be. They are also highly versitile and everyone should have one, frankly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rj54x posted:

I have a Cuisinart immersion blender that was only like $35 - rules for making soups.

Any dutch oven deals to be had right now?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Cuisinart immersion blender that was only like $35 - rules for making soups.

Any dutch oven deals to be had right now?

This is the one I have. How do you use it cause mine always gets clogged up in the little guard and never seems to work all that well and I want it to work cause the idea is so good and everyone else seems to love them :negative:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

This is the one I have. How do you use it cause mine always gets clogged up in the little guard and never seems to work all that well and I want it to work cause the idea is so good and everyone else seems to love them :negative:

What are you using it for, exactly?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The Midniter posted:

What are you using it for, exactly?

made hummus with it, guacamole, I have tried blending tomato sauces. That kind of stuff. Perhaps the model i have is simply insufficient to handle such thick mediums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

why would you blend guac, just fold it with a spoon/fork. Hummus is a no-go in any blender, because of the thickness, and tomato sauce should have been fine.