Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That body looks loving awesome. I'm going to share those pics with my scale r/c facebook group. Killer job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That looks metal as gently caress! Literally! How do you like those tires? I haven't heard much about them.

they are good for rtr, handles the sand and dirt but ill have to find some rocks to see how they handle em.

man that Cuda body is fan loving tastic You Am I.

I'm still slowly working on my custom scale hilux. Lots of work left to do....

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
I need some advice on a lipo charger. I want to switch to some lipo batteries for my stock slash that I am running at the local track. I have found some batteries that all look right, 2s 7.4 volts, but I am unsure of what to get as a charger. I have heard of cheaper options, needing a laptop power adapter, that I would be willing to try, but if it is worth it to just get something like the traxxas dual charger http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 I might just go with with that. Thanks for the input fellas.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Last winter series race in Omaha yesterday... biggest turnout all year despite the shittastic weather. finally got my new bodies cut out and stickered up!

the 1/8 fleet (didn't get a new body for the gas buggy because I have a 3.0 on order :woop: )

Great day of racing! Ended up TQing all three classes... ebuggy, gas buggy, and truggy. The cars were all great and engines running well. Won the 30min truggy main with one of the most fun races I've ever had. super close. raced nose to tail with another racer for the majority of the 30min main. We got a bonus lap and he couldn't quite make the distance on fuel. didn't want to win that way but hey that's racing!

After getting taken out in the second corner of the ebuggy race I worked back up to second and stayed there. Just made too many mistakes.

Most disappointed with gas buggy. Car was awesome, set poll by a couple seconds. took off at the start and had a huge lead after the first round of pit stops. I over shot a big jump and landed flat. The screw holding my battery box shut stripped out and let it flop loose... lost all controls. Major bummer thought I had that one in the bag.

I can't wait for summer :)

edit - fixed retarded huge images

needknees fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I was actually at the hobby shop buying an XV-01 but didn't know there was anything going on. There did seem to be way more cars in the parking lot than people in the store.

Sounds like a seriously intense race though, congrats on the win. I should pay more attention and try to spectate a bit next time.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
After hearing great things about the SCX10 I picked one up the other day. Finally got to take it out and really play with it today and it was a blast. The only real problem I had was on steep climbs it would tip back but I think that is mostly because of where the battery is. I might try to somehow move it forward to give some balance.

This is my first ever RC purchase but I think it could be a fun hobby no doubt.

Being new to LiPo batteries as well how do you guys recommend storing them when you aren't using them? So far I've been running it for about 30 minutes and then leaving it at that. It's a 20C 2S 5000mah 7.4V battery if that helps.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Just store them at room temperature. Use a fireproof lipo bag if you're worried about it. Too hot and they'll swell, too cold and they won't hold a charge.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There should be a section in your instructions that shows how to mount the battery in a forward position. Here's how mine's setup, I also moved the ESC and radio box:

Also got started on my new kit:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Glad you went with a Jeep kit. It's really easy to move the battery forward and what you need is in your box. I just built a Jeep kit and it's not shown in the instructions. Check out this PDF (Honcho instructions) and see how it's mounted up front. You should have the 3 long spacers on a plastic parts tree.

http://docs.axialracing.com/instructions/ax90022-i001-scx10-honcho-rtr.pdf

You will have to cut off the plastic edges on your battery tray (everything but the mounting holes comes off on the ends) so that you are just left with the metal platform for the battery to rest. You will then have to flip your battery upside down because the tolerance is so tight on the Jeep body that even the connector cables will make it not fit if sitting upright. It fits real snug under the body and it makes a huge difference (along with weighted wheels). Let me know if you are confused and I'll post pics of my JK, it's really easy!

Hey Howser, how do you like those axles?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 28, 2013

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This took me far longer than it should have to realize this is an RC car. Good job.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey Howser, how do you like those axles?

Still a long ways before I can test them out for real, the nitro clubs taking up most of my free time. Hilux is in mock-up stage right now. I only seen a handful of people using them, those that like em say you need to make sure you mesh the gears right. I have a set of axle shims and some red n tacky when i'm ready to take em apart. They look loving awesome, I hope they last.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Awesome replies guys, I appreciate it being new to this. Hopefully I can get around to moving the battery this weekend.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

needknees posted:

My track is holding a race in just over a month... if you're anywhere near central Iowa come check it out! Race info below -

Winter is on its last legs and warmer weather is just around the corner... time for our second annual Spring Classic race at 80/35 Raceway in Grimes Iowa! Race will be held on April 12-14. Last year's event turned out great and this years should be even better :tire::tire::tire:

80/35 Raceway is located in Grimes, Iowa right off the interstate. Very easy to find and convenient to get to! There are plenty of hotels around the area as well as some great restaurants and places to kick back after a long day of racing all within a stone's throw of our track :)

Track website
http://80-35raceway.com/

Google Maps link to track
http://goo.gl/maps/3ze61

2013 Spring Classic on RCSignup
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?ID=3099

80/35 Raceway on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/8035-Raceway

2013 Spring Classic Classes:
Novice
Stock Buggy
Stock Stadium Truck
Stock Short Course
Mod Buggy
Mod Stadium Truck
Mod Short Course
4wd Buggy
4wd Short Course
1/8e Buggy

Stock Classes must run ESCs in "Blinky" mode. Stock classes must tech vehicles before each heat.

Novice mains: 5min, 8 cars, no bumps. 1/8e Buggy mains: 10min, 6 cars, no bumps. All other classes will run 6min AAA mains, 6min single lower mains. 6 cars + 2 bumps.

Entry fees are $25 for your first class and only $15 for each additional class!

Trophies for top 5 A main finishers and Top Qualifier!

Schedule
Friday: Doors open at 5pm-9pm. Practice and registration.
Saturday: Doors open at 7am, Qualifying beginning at 9am. 3 rounds of IFMAR qualifying, best 2 of 3
Sunday: Doors open at 7am, mains begin at 9am. AAA mains, single lower mains.

Thank you to our great sponsors of the 2013 Spring Classic!

Event flyer

Our Spring Classic race is this weekend if anyone is near central Iowa. just finished with the track build last night and pretty drat proud of it! We have some heavy hitters coming for this race... Should be some crazy racing!

In other rc news I got the chance to race against Tebo in nitro buggy and truggy last weekend for the RC Pro Series north division opener in Omaha last weekend. J F C that guy is way too good :geno:

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 10, 2013

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
awesome man, good luck at the event!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Track looks like it should have some wicked traction once it grooves up! Looks great! Too bad Iowa is a bit far...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Good luck this weekend! Nice work on the track, it looks like a lot of fun. Looks like you have plenty of room for passing and isn't overly technical. That's pretty much the sweet spot for an indoor track in a tight area IMO.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

For bigger races I like layouts to be a little more simple. Normally I tend towards much more technical tracks that reward patience and tight lines. This track is easy to get around... but tough to do so quickly and consistently. It should make for some great racing! Going to be a long weekend but a fun one :woop:

Edit: Track photographer got some badass pics of my cars last weekend!

needknees fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 12, 2013

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Sweet!!! That looks like a lot of fun.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Needknees, this may be sort of awkward, but I don't have PM on this site. Is there any way I can contact you via cell, or text, to get some direction on finishing my losi 2.0 buggy? It's very furstrating. I have all the components, but am lost on a few minor details to make it all come together. Specifically the servos to the gen III tray, the clutch, and the motor.

Help!!!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
shoot an email to 'my SA screen name" at the gee mails... we'll get you up and running!

I'll be a little hard to get ahold of this weekend because I'm driving up to the frozen north to go race here....

track looks loving amazing!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So this is most likely going to be the dumbest question in the thread. I'm looking for an R/C truck that can go outside/offroad pretty well and is fast enough for my dogs to chase after. Can anyone make any recommendations that around a budget of $100 or so? I picked up a cheap one from Amazon but it could not go more than 10 feet without losing signal and the top speed was about walking pace.

Be gentle :unsmith:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

poxin posted:

So this is most likely going to be the dumbest question in the thread. I'm looking for an R/C truck that can go outside/offroad pretty well and is fast enough for my dogs to chase after. Can anyone make any recommendations that around a budget of $100 or so? I picked up a cheap one from Amazon but it could not go more than 10 feet without losing signal and the top speed was about walking pace.

Probably the Traxxas Slash, if that's all you plan to do. And there's nothing at all wrong with that!

It's gonna be more than $100 but you should be able to find a used one or something on Ebay.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into that one. There seem to be a few used ones on craigslist near me.

Also just saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgQ_YW8ezA

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

We did some RECON G6 practice for the event coming to St. Louis in July and it was a blast! G6 is a scale competition where touching a truck as a "Hand of God" is forbidden, so all rollovers and impossible terrain must be dealt with by using a tow strap and hooking to a buddy, or by winch. It was a loving blast! Attacking the trail as a team gives it a whole different dynamic. Here's my towing my buddy up the side of the cliff. There was about a 25 foot drop off this ledge. This was also the first time my truck didnt complete a run as literally 500 ft from the trailhead a blew a knuckle (screw backed out). I had to get a tow back to camp!

While my Bronco is my new "main" truck (it's the new JK kit underneath) my old 79 diesel bomber got new shoes over the weekend and is a great back-up truck.

Both of my trucks have the new Proline Ridgeline bumpers and I strongly recommend them to you fellow scalers. They look bitch, the D-rings are cool, and they have a real winch fairlead.

EDIT - I uploaded the full gallery to our website if anyone is interested in it - http://showmescalers.com/?p=1134

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 22, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

poxin posted:

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into that one. There seem to be a few used ones on craigslist near me.

Haha I saw this on reddit. I may be missing the point but for that kind of money you can buy a really nice ATV that is going to be exponentially better in terms of speed, quality, and fun.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

poxin posted:

Too big to be fun and at that scale you may as well just drive it. All that mass you can't really drive it like an normal r/c truck because you're going to break components constantly.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gJY53SmJY

Came across this on youtube, a 1:10 scale BRDM-2 entirely handmade out of metal. I'm not really sure on how to describe just how awesome that thing is.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow. That's pretty incredible.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Deedle posted:

Came across this on youtube, a 1:10 scale BRDM-2 entirely handmade out of metal. I'm not really sure on how to describe just how awesome that thing is.

That is amazing.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Deedle posted:

That led me to another showing some of the incredible detail level and welding that went into making it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtVfgjavtSo

Edit:

The Youtube black hole then took me too something new: R/C tanks and fire :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdu114m4OQ

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I had a go of a Heng Long Tiger I tank and enjoyed it. Is this brand okay considering the low price?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

poxin posted:

I have an HPI Blitz with everything you need to start driving tomorrow on sale for cheap!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Falken posted:

I had a go of a Heng Long Tiger I tank and enjoyed it. Is this brand okay considering the low price?

Assume something will break.

Normally the smoke machine or the BB firing mechanism but basically assume if you want the full feature set, you'll need to fix it yourself.

Great looking though, and good running mechanism.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

mehall posted:

Assume something will break.

Normally the smoke machine or the BB firing mechanism but basically assume if you want the full feature set, you'll need to fix it yourself.

Great looking though, and good running mechanism.
That's fine by me. I'm alright with getting into the mechanicals.

I eventually settled on a Panther with metal tracks. Can't wait to have a go.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I'm new to rc cars and the like. Over the past ~8 years I'd randomly want to buy an rc car, build it and run it around but after a month or so the desire waned. That desire would return every 5-8 months, and I'd repeat the cycle. Now I actually have the money to buy a car and I've been wanting an HPI car for a while (friend had one back in high school) so I was looking on their site and found I really like the HPI Cup Racer. I was pretty disheartened to see it was discontinued. So I gave up hope in finding one. Until yesterday.

I walked into a local rc shop and they had one, in box, for sale. The good news is it was cheap. The bad news, for me, was that it doesn't come with any electronics and such. This is where I'm ignorant and unsure. What kind of cost am I looking at once I buy the electronics and necessary gear? HPI says run time for the car can be anywhere from 4-30 minutes. Is that correct, because that seems rather...low to me. I know 30 minutes is acceptable, but 4? Yeesh.

So what I'm getting at is would it be a good first (and probably only...for now) rc car for someone?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Cup Racer is a decent car, take your time building it as some steps can be pretty fiddly. You can get used electronics to get started, but a 19-turn equivalent brushless motor and a speedo that works with LiPo batteries is what I would suggest. Depending if you want brand name or not, the Fly Sky car radio you can find online is cheap, fully-featured and punches above its weight for its price. You could go with a Spektrum if you really want, or there must be a million 2.4GHz radios on ebay that people sell out of RTR kits.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I own two cup racers! :) they are one of my favorite R/Cs I've ever built. We bought out the last 8 kits HPI had earlier last year and I have a new in box Trueno, and a built Datsun 510. I use a 13.5 brushless LRP and it's probably too fast for the chassis. A 17.5 would be better suited. I use some old Orion 3200 mah lipos and get 15-20 minutes of driving. Seconded on finding some previous gen electronics, if you have a local race track they'll often have consignment stuff you can get for cheap. For radios, you can get a Futaba 3PL 2.4 ghz radio for $115 new (some places cheaper, my work has a 5% coupon code + free shipping over $100).
Lastly, take your sweet time on painting the body, HPI did an incredible job on the molding, decals, and body accessories. Which one did you get?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Which one did you get?

Awesome advice, thank you. I didn't buy it (yet) but it was the Datsun body. :)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Ugh, be glad you guys aren't in GA (and if you are, I'm sorry). The whole RC community is imploding. I'm taking a siesta from most of it for a while. So much backstabbing and whining, mostly because everything keeps getting rained out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

^^^ that totally sucks. I haven't been really too interested in racing since my daughter was born 9 months ago. I have been doing it since I was 9 and have been doing it as a career so long that I get enjoyment out of different aspects of the hobby. I like the aesthetics of different kits and building them, and I really like helping others get the same joy that I have had (making my job that much radder). Racing was a good adrenaline, but I like carpet sedans (which died) and off road just isn't appealing.