Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
He's got an angry wife. It's his mind that's in the dirty rut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Wait, does anybody here actually own a Suzuki Hayabusa, the fastest motorcycle ever made ever?

I think I saw one guy post about having one but I'm genuinely curious of how they compare for commuting to Bandits FZ1's and FJR's / C14's and whatnot when set up for it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Xovaan posted:

Wait, does anybody here actually own a Suzuki Hayabusa, the fastest motorcycle ever made ever?

I think I saw one guy post about having one but I'm genuinely curious of how they compare for commuting to Bandits FZ1's and FJR's / C14's and whatnot when set up for it.

They're not really a commuter bike if you've got significant traffic (and are allowed to filter in your locale) because they're long and fat and have a poor turning circle, but if you've got a lot of highway miles to cover they're pretty drat good.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Xovaan posted:

Not me, but I've got a few mates with them (that they've kept stock) and my parents neighbour has one and they like them for decent trips, but they all have something smaller for in town.

To quote one of them:

"It's great if you want to just pin it on the highway, but they're a loving pain in the rear end in town, worse than my Harley*"

*His Harley is a 180kw (241hp) shovelhead with a retarded rake and ape hangers. Don't ask.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Ridden a few 'busas - really quite great bikes in my opinion. I don't think it'd be any worse than commuting on any other sort of sportbike. The riding position isn't great for slow speed handling and it's got too much power, but beyond that you'd be fine. They're really rather nice bikes on the twistie stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

High Protein posted:

My dad changes his bike's brake fluid by sucking out the old out of the MC with a syringe and then topping it off, says it gets most and doesn't really need bleeding; everyone ever heard of doing that?

What he is doing is pointless and not doing anything but wasting time. The point of bleeding is to get the old fluid out of the lines.

n8r posted:

Ridden a few 'busas - really quite great bikes in my opinion. I don't think it'd be any worse than commuting on any other sort of sportbike. The riding position isn't great for slow speed handling and it's got too much power, but beyond that you'd be fine. They're really rather nice bikes on the twistie stuff.

Busas get a lot of hate around here, mostly from the momentum of the s1lv3r suzuki hate machine, but they really are good bikes. Suzuki spent a lot of time on them making sure they were done right, and they will do most anything you could want them to do and do it well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What he is doing is pointless and not doing anything but wasting time. The point of bleeding is to get the old fluid out of the lines.

Christ don't make them repeat the last few pages of brake speculation, I think it was figured out.

Busa's look cool when they're stock, but holy hell people make them look tacky with streeeetched swing-arms and air-brushing hell.

Here's a whole thread of them: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?243260-Custom-Busa-Hayabusa

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 25, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

:stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Xovaan posted:

It's funny you ask that. I was just talking to a guy the other day about how Suzuki should do up a factory ST based on the Hayabusa like how Kawi did with the ZX14. Of course, they already have the Bandit but I think it would be a good niche.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

There's a video of that...thing...in operation (unless there are two of them :gonk:) and both the rider and his wife weigh about 350 pounds.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

With those two fat wheels, that bike is literally a Dong-Cycle.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

slidebite posted:

It's funny you ask that. I was just talking to a guy the other day about how Suzuki should do up a factory ST based on the Hayabusa like how Kawi did with the ZX14. Of course, they already have the Bandit but I think it would be a good niche.

The Bandit is noticeably unsophisticated compared to the FJR and Concours, but it's competitive on price. There's a rumor that Honda's dragging their feet on the ST1300 replacement because everyone thinks the new watercooled R1200RT is going to make everyone look stupid; perhaps Suzuki staking out the low end is the smartest move.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I realize this is retarded as all hell from a motorcycle standpoint, but Busas are always way overdone and get the brunt of the stupid modifications and custom paint. I actually think this one is at least sort of unique in execution and none of these fat stretched slammed piggies are really that ride able, at least this one is kinda interesting.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My only issues with owning a Busa or ZX-14 is that their insurance rates are the highest for a motorcycle, like way more than even a literbike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
D'oh! The wife bought one of those fancy Shorai lightweight lithium batteries for her beemer and of course a day before it should have arrived they called to tell her it's on back-order. Everywhere close to us is out of stock, it seems. Nobody knows when it might arrive.

Anybody know of a place that might stock them for a BMW R1150R?

Also, are those things cool or are they whack? I keep telling her it'll burn down her bike, but I am mostly just being mean.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I put one in my track bike over the winter and the weight savings is awesome. It's so hilariously light when the box arrived I thought it was empty.

No problems thus far but it hasn't really gone into full use yet. No fires near as I can tell.

As to where to grab one locally... good luck :/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

D'oh! The wife bought one of those fancy Shorai lightweight lithium batteries for her beemer and of course a day before it should have arrived they called to tell her it's on back-order. Everywhere close to us is out of stock, it seems. Nobody knows when it might arrive.

Also, are those things cool or are they whack? I keep telling her it'll burn down her bike, but I am mostly just being mean.

They can be hard starting in cold weather, as CCA drops off heavily with temp. Thankfully, the bike being drained heats it, so usually it's ok after you hit it a few times.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I like mine.

If you can pull the AH and CCA for your stock battery, use those specs to pick the right Shorai off Amazon.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

*His Harley is a 180kw (241hp) shovelhead with a retarded rake and ape hangers. Don't ask.

Is that horsepower number right? I really want to know how a Shovelhead can put out 241 HP.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

Is that horsepower number right? I really want to know how a Shovelhead can put out 241 HP.

I am guessing it's a purpose-built nitro drag bike with some gigantic S&S shovelhead.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It'd have to be. Google searches show stocks maxing at 66hp.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Today a june bug that hit my helmet was so big that I could hear it physically squish when it smacked. Spring. :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Bandit is noticeably unsophisticated compared to the FJR and Concours, but it's competitive on price. There's a rumor that Honda's dragging their feet on the ST1300 replacement because everyone thinks the new watercooled R1200RT is going to make everyone look stupid; perhaps Suzuki staking out the low end is the smartest move.

There is certainly some logic in that and I agree it's not a bad move, but I think they could capitalize on the "modern" high end ST market without cannibalizing a bunch of Bandit sales as I don't think there would be tons of cross shopping.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Deeters posted:

Yeah, it might not be a Shovelhead, I don't know my Harley's 100% but I know the HP figure is correct. It's far from stock. I'll grab a picture of it and some more info on it next time I see him.

e: I know it's a softtail bike and the engine ran him about $30,000 AUD.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Isn't that the case for the homemade A123 packs? What's the deal with those, no controller unit turning off the flow of power when the battery's full?

Wanna make one for the TS400 because it'd be easy to hide under the seat, but I prefer my bike without realistic flames.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Today a june bug that hit my helmet was so big that I could hear it physically squish when it smacked. Spring. :allears:

My visor is currently covered with largish gnat thingies. This is prime riding season?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Lithium battery talk: I stumbled on this thread on ADVRider with what looks like some good advice, including how the different battery designs / brands behave:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934

It might be that the poor cold weather performance is a Shorai thing and not an inevitable consequence of LiPoFe chemistry.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Turns out an Amazon Marketplace vendor has them in stock. DISASTER AVERTED!

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

V-Max 2nd gear problem
-
Anyway, I might have overreacted.

Heavy heavy traffic today, which means a lot of 1>2 and 2>1 shifts. On the V-Max neutral gets harder to find when it's warm, and I know that's a symptom of a worn clutch but most owners of this bike swear that's just how it is. So that made for a lot of 1>2 and 2>1 and 1>2 and 2>1 and finally 1>N shifts.

After about an hour of this - it popped down to N out of 2nd gear again. Then a little later it popped out up from 1st and into N :confused:

It's normally fine, but an hour+ of heavy traffic was really doing wonders on the clutch. I'm thinking maybe it's not going into gear all the way sometimes so even though it has a bite for a few rotations it slips out. I'm fine to live with this until after I get back from my roadtrip as Chicago levels of traffic should be non-existent anyway. Just open to suggestion on things to check/inspect/do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hydraulic or cable clutch? If cable, adjust, if hydraulic, fresh fluid time.

Also adjust the shifter if you haven't already so it shifts naturally.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hydraulic with fresh fluid from last Fall that still looks quite good. Could it be an air bubble hanging in the line somewhere?

I adjusted the shifter already and it's fine normally, but after some extended use it doesn't seem like the clutch is clutching like it should.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are you pulling the clutch all the way to the grip when you shift?

My KTM and pretty much every other modern bike I've ridden was set up so that to get to neutral you pull the lever all the way to the grip but for gear changes you only pull the lever with the index and middle finger so that it is touching the knuckles on the remaining fingers. The clutch is out of the friction zone at this point, but only just, and getting it into neutral at this point is tricky. I wasn't aware that this was how it was meant to be when I first started riding my KTM; On my very first bike, a DT175, it was a pig to get into neutral however the clutch was engaged.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Yeah to the grip, and the tech in this bike is more 1986 than 2006. On the ride home today it started getting hard to put into gear as well. Perhaps I will take Tamir's advice from the other day and open the res, and rubber band the lever down to let whatever vent overnight.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You don't need to open the reservoir. That's just going to suck in more moisture. Just tie the lever back to the handle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Hydraulic with fresh fluid from last Fall that still looks quite good. Could it be an air bubble hanging in the line somewhere?

I adjusted the shifter already and it's fine normally, but after some extended use it doesn't seem like the clutch is clutching like it should.

You can bleed the banjos but I will bet that the fluid is starting to break down, especially if you used cheap stuff. Hydraulic clutch fluid sees a lot of abuse in stop and go traffic, as it's going to absorb a bunch of the heat off the engine. Had similar problems on my ZZR1200 with a lot of around town abuse, the lever would start to go a bit mush and the bike wouldn't want to shift.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, seafoam is absolute sorcery. It not only fixed an issue I was having, it fixed ones I didn't even know I had. :aaaaa:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I'm a bit backed up a seafoam and whiskey does me wonders.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

M42 posted:

Holy poo poo, seafoam is absolute sorcery. It not only fixed an issue I was having, it fixed ones I didn't even know I had. :aaaaa:

Have some neighbors you want to piss off? Suck some of that stuff through a throttle vacuum line, then start the motor and rev it. White smoke everywhere! Oh, and it also cleans the injectors.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

I used it as a sort of liquid jet kit for high altitude and it worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Met a girl today (who recognized me from a couple of years back when we had the same riding instructor at the riding school where we got our licenses). We chatted for an hour or so and regaled each other with anecdotes from our various motorcycle trips. I told her about my plans to take a three week holiday abroad this year to celebrate my 30th birthday and how it seems nothing will come of it since my best friend and planned travel partner couldn't keep it in his pants and is now a father (and I'm the godfather). And then.

Her: Me and my sambo(*) are going to ride to Madagascar this summer, you could come along!

Me: You're going to what?

Her: Ride. This motorcycle. To Madagascar.

Yeah, so she's planning to ride her Suzuki GS500F from Sweden to Madagascar with her partner (who'll just be riding pillion). That's about 6500 miles on that bike through, among others, Egypt and Sudan. :psyduck: I quized her extensively about this and she was dead serious.

I'll just quote the Swedish Embassies in Egypt and Sudan, respectively.

Swedish Embassy in Cairo posted:

Travellers should observe the highest caution outside of Cairo and tourist resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Dahab.

Swedish Embassy in Khartoum posted:

Due to security concerns the State Department advises swedish citizens to suspended non-essential travel to Sudan except for trips to the capital Khartoum.

Caution should be exercised both in Khartoum as well as for travel outside the capital. Particular caution should be used in conjunction with crowds or around the time of Friday prayers.

(*)Sambo; swedish short form for samboende, meaning a person that you're in a relationship with and live together with, without being married. Bork, bork, bork!