Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

KingEup posted:

This is a good article:
Wow, what amazing insight. I've certainly never heard this idea expressed months ago at the beginning of this very thread, even!

This is a good article, though:

http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/6827

quote:

DENVER - A study released today by the Colorado Futures Center at Colorado State University has found that proposed state taxes on recreational marijuana, part of the implementation of Amendment 64, will generate about $130 million in revenue during the first year.

The Colorado General Assembly is currently considering legislation that would levy the following taxes on recreational marijuana:
An excise tax of 15 percent of the wholesale value of marijuana;
A special sales tax of 15 percent on the retail sale of marijuana; and
Extension of the state’s existing 2.9 percent general sales tax to sales of marijuana and marijuana products.

The Colorado Futures Center study – The Fiscal Impact of Amendment 64 on State Revenues – found, however, that proposed taxes are structured in such a way that they will not generate $40 million from the excise tax that was to be set aside for school construction under the amendment. In addition, the tax proposal will not produce enough revenue to make a meaningful dent in Colorado’s long-term structural budget gap.

“Colorado voters are certainly breaking new ground with Amendment 64, and now state lawmakers are grappling with how to regulate and tax recreational marijuana in a responsible and sustainable manner,” said Charles Brown, executive director of the Colorado Futures Center at CSU. “Though there are still quite a few unknowns, our analysis indicates that the proposed tax structure will only deliver about half of the $40 million for school construction envisioned under Amendment 64. Additionally, taxing recreational marijuana will not generate enough revenue to substantively play a role in addressing Colorado’s systemic budget challenges.”

The Colorado Futures Center at CSU provides vital research and analysis of public policies impacting Colorado’s future and quality of life. The Center delivers independent, nonpartisan and academically grounded input on a broad range of issues related to the economic health of the state of Colorado.

The Center’s analysis of proposed Amendment 64 tax measures produced five key findings:
The adult recreational marijuana market in Colorado will be $605.7 million and taxation of that market will bring an additional $130.1 million in state tax revenue in fiscal year 2014-15.

The 15 percent wholesale excise tax created by the amendment will not reach the goal of $40 million for school construction.

The high water mark for marijuana tax revenue is likely to be in the first few post-legalization years, with revenue flattening or declining thereafter.

Marijuana tax revenues may not cover the incremental state expenditures related to legalization.

Marijuana tax revenues will not close Colorado’s structural budget gap.

“While all of the assumptions made in the study were grounded in rigorous research and strong data, we recognize that the unprecedented nature of transitioning a largely underground market into a regulated industry leaves a lot open for debate and interpretation,” said Phyllis Resnick, chief economist for the Colorado Futures Center at CSU and author of the Amendment 64 study. “To that end, we’ve created a companion online tool that allows anyone to make different assumptions and then immediately see the impact on state revenues. We hope this will be useful for state lawmakers and citizens as Colorado weighs how best to implement Amendment 64 and regulate recreational marijuana.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Welp guys we can't close our budget deficits by taxing stoners. What a goddamn mistake. Pack it up 64-failures, reinforce prohibition.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

quote:

“To that end, we’ve created a companion online tool that allows anyone to make different assumptions and then immediately see the impact on state revenues. We hope this will be useful for state lawmakers and citizens as Colorado weighs how best to implement Amendment 64 and regulate recreational marijuana.”
It would be nice if the article linked to this online tool.

edit: looks like it's here http://coloradofutures.colostate.edu/calculator/

edit2: interesting that the assumed retail markup is 175%, which is quite high compared to things like retail alcohol.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 26, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

Welp guys we can't close our budget deficits by taxing stoners. What a goddamn mistake. Pack it up 64-failures, reinforce prohibition.

This civil right won't generate money? Take it away!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Edit. Wrong thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Wow, what amazing insight. I've certainly never heard this idea expressed months ago at the beginning of this very thread, even!

This is a good article, though:

http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/6827

quote:

Marijuana tax revenues may not cover the incremental state expenditures related to legalization.

So what exactly are the incremental expenditures related to legalization? Do they consider savings on the law enforcement side?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Of course not.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A64 should have specified that any taxes levied on marijuana must be identical to those levied on alcohol. Although, I guess it's not surprising that we're still going to have a black market for cannabis due to it being a taxation beast of burden.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

veedubfreak posted:

Of course not.

Law enforcement funding wouldn't go down for a while, the fallout from taking away one of the biggest cash cows in a market dominated by violence would not be pretty. It would go away and be worth all the trouble, but you really might want to keep cops around for a few more years as gangs readjust and try and find new sources of income (Something that you might see again years later when police forces end up looking for their piece that is no longer there.)

Cops not keeping money from busts might actually take a chunk of that savings out.

But honestly, there's a lot of work to be done for police. It's not like other than drugs, cops have everything perfectly down. Without having to worry about drug crime we could improve our murder clearance rates, actually investigate lower tier crimes that go completely ignored (autotheft, burglary, robbery, etc), and work on some serious issues that fly completely under the radar (Human trafficking during major sporting events being the first that springs to mind).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Yeah, I don't see police budgets dropping because of this. On the other hand, I -do- foresee prison budgets dropping. Hopefully.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mugrim posted:

Law enforcement funding wouldn't go down for a while, the fallout from taking away one of the biggest cash cows in a market dominated by violence would not be pretty. It would go away and be worth all the trouble, but you really might want to keep cops around for a few more years as gangs readjust and try and find new sources of income (Something that you might see again years later when police forces end up looking for their piece that is no longer there.)

Cops not keeping money from busts might actually take a chunk of that savings out.

But honestly, there's a lot of work to be done for police. It's not like other than drugs, cops have everything perfectly down. Without having to worry about drug crime we could improve our murder clearance rates, actually investigate lower tier crimes that go completely ignored (autotheft, burglary, robbery, etc), and work on some serious issues that fly completely under the radar (Human trafficking during major sporting events being the first that springs to mind).

You are missing a huge factor here. Law Enforcement as group is one of the number one proponents of the current federal drug laws simply because of the civil forfeiture income. In actuality I see revenue from police enforcement drop a lot, and never recover.

Also as great as it would be to prosecute/solve more murders, those don't pay the bills, in fact they are actually some of the most expensive crimes for the state to take on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DUIs increase however, those bring in money for the state and because of MADD are super easy to prosecute.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In terms of plans with political possibility, I like the idea of a proposition that states that all civil asset forfeiture revenue will be returned to the taxpayer as a reduction in income tax. Of course it would be a few cents or dollars in sum, but that's not the point.

It's not perfect, but who wouldn't get behind that proposal?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I kind of wonder what the excessive force complaints will be like if police are allowed to use cannabis.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

peengers posted:

I kind of wonder what the excessive force complaints will be like if police are allowed to use cannabis.

Officer Cheech pulled me over for speeding and wouldn't let me go until I gave him the rest of my bag of cheetos. It was really weird, and somehow he got my number and keeps calling and asking if I want to "chill."

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/04/25/2573492/judge-again-orders-tacoma-police.html

quote:

Give the man his marijuana. That was the gist of a simple order Tacoma Municipal Court Judge Jack Emery gave to Tacoma police two months ago.

Police refused.

Thursday, Emery repeated himself with emphasis: Police have seven days to comply with his Feb. 28 order and return the pot to Tacoma resident Joseph L. Robertson, or face a possible order of contempt.

“Appeal or comply,” Emery told assistant city attorney John Walker. “Or next week, show up, and I would advise you to bring counsel.”

The ruling was a small procedural victory for Robertson, but it could set the stage for a precedent-setting debate, and a collision between state and federal laws governing marijuana.

Police seized the pot in May 2012 after pulling Robertson over for speeding. The officer who made the stop reported smelling marijuana inside Robertson’s car and later found a small amount.

Robertson was cited for driving without a valid license and misdemeanor marijuana possession and released. City prosecutors dismissed the possession charge in December after the state’s vote to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

Robertson then asked for his pot back, and provided proof of medical marijuana authorization. The city refused, which prompted Emery’s Feb. 28 order.

People predicted exactly this up-thread, where the conflict between a passive action (choosing not to prosecute under federal law) comes into conflict with taking an affirmative action (trafficking a controlled substance) to return evidence. Is this the first case that's come to court on this?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

You are missing a huge factor here. Law Enforcement as group is one of the number one proponents of the current federal drug laws simply because of the civil forfeiture income. In actuality I see revenue from police enforcement drop a lot, and never recover.

Also as great as it would be to prosecute/solve more murders, those don't pay the bills, in fact they are actually some of the most expensive crimes for the state to take on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DUIs increase however, those bring in money for the state and because of MADD are super easy to prosecute.

mugrim posted:

That's what the bolded statements meant.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

This give me a nice warm feeling inside. Judges are finally getting tired of the travesty that is the war on drugs.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Fine! If we can't tax it, no civil liberties for anyone!

quote:

The source of the outrage is a draft bill floating around the Capitol late this week that would open the door to repeal.

The bill would revise the ballot question on pot taxes to add that recreational pot in the state constitution should be repealed if voters don't approve 15 percent excise taxes on retail pot and a new 15 percent marijuana sales tax. Those would be in addition to regular state and local sales taxes.

"The whole purpose of it was to raise money for education and so forth, so if there's no money, we shouldn't have marijuana," said Sen. Larry Crowder, R-Alamosa.

Great job! Now if you could just give us a quote saying "should gays really even be considered human?" I can fill out my pure evil republican bingo card.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

RichieWolk posted:

Great job! Now if you could just give us a quote saying "should gays really even be considered human?" I can fill out my pure evil republican bingo card.

That doesn't even make sense, the taxes are in the black, it's not like they're LOSING money by lifting statewide prohibition.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I don't see why taxing the hell out of pot is a big deal. WA state has 25% tax on producers, 25% on distributors, and 25% on retail sales. It will make the government a pile of money that would have otherwise gone to the cartels. Which is desperately needed due to the recent ruling on education by the State Supreme Court.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I really don't think this legalization thing is going to happen after all, the blow back is just starting up.I think things are going to get a little better, and then swing all the way back to being worse than before.

I had a lot of hope, but lately I've come to realize money always wins, and marijuana does not have enough money to win.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What it will really take is the powers that be (large corporate interests) realizing that it's easier to sell their gross consumer culture to people when those people are baked all the time. Once that happens, they'll be all over it. Think about how much more money McDonalds would make if their average consumer started getting baked a few times a week. Goddrat.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Xeom posted:

I really don't think this legalization thing is going to happen after all, the blow back is just starting up.I think things are going to get a little better, and then swing all the way back to being worse than before.

I had a lot of hope, but lately I've come to realize money always wins, and marijuana does not have enough money to win.

Marijuana has a LOT of money in it. Legalization has a lot of 'hidden' benefits, such as reduced prison costs(not to mention the cost to society having a large chunk of population locked up), and taking a chunk of cash away from the cartels. But to push the local governments into defending legalization against a hostile Fed, they need a good($$$) reason. Decently high taxes are that reason.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

RichieWolk posted:

How the hell is that even legal? To change the wording of a ballot question after it's been voted on?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

How the hell is that even legal? To change the wording of a ballot question after it's been voted on?

Colorado is one of those crazy states where the voters have to vote on tax increases. This is a new tax. It has to be voted on by the state at large.

This isn't completely insane as part of the previous measure required taxation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I thought the whole idea is that they'd add on tons of sin taxes anyway. The whole "if this doesn't pass it's repealed" thing is shady as hell but the tax itself isn't that terrible.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Colorado is one of those crazy states where the voters have to vote on tax increases. This is a new tax. It has to be voted on by the state at large.

This isn't completely insane as part of the previous measure required taxation.

I know that, I live here :D I'm just baffled at the thought that they can go back and add a provision like that to a ballot measure that's already been voted on and passed. That's like if I were to ask questions in a survey of a bunch of people, then go back and edit my questions after they've already answered them.

EDIT: Whoops, never mind. They're not talking about revising the Amendment 64 provision, they're talking about revising the eventual tax ballot question. Silly me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What it will really take is the powers that be (large corporate interests) realizing that it's easier to sell their gross consumer culture to people when those people are baked all the time. Once that happens, they'll be all over it. Think about how much more money McDonalds would make if their average consumer started getting baked a few times a week. Goddrat.

If anything gets McDonalds to expand their breakfast hours that'd be it.

Of course, I'd be in real loving trouble if $1 sausage mcmuffins and hash browns became more available.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Mrit posted:

Marijuana has a LOT of money in it. Legalization has a lot of 'hidden' benefits, such as reduced prison costs(not to mention the cost to society having a large chunk of population locked up), and taking a chunk of cash away from the cartels. But to push the local governments into defending legalization against a hostile Fed, they need a good($$$) reason. Decently high taxes are that reason.

There's less money than people think though, which is why years of promises of huge tax gains from those against prohibition is now hurting the cause. Best case scenario the feds end prohibition and pot is no different than cigarettes legally, its price will plummet. This nation is obsessed with the lowest price possible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Republicans posted:

If anything gets McDonalds to expand their breakfast hours that'd be it.

Of course, I'd be in real loving trouble if $1 sausage mcmuffins and hash browns became more available.

I'd open a Diner on the premise of catering to the baked.
Hell I see chains of 'The Green Lounge' popping up all over places.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'd open a Diner on the premise of catering to the baked.
Hell I see chains of 'The Green Lounge' popping up all over places.

What do you think Taco Bell is?

Also here in Texas we have a 24 hour dining place called The Kettle which is pretty decent.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Xeom posted:

What's this blow back you're talking about? I live in Denver and it seems like pot acceptance just keeps growing and growing. Like that article says, more people in Colorado voted to legalize pot than for Obama, if there is a real effort to repeal 64 there will be riots.

Also, there are more marijuana dispensaries in Denver than liquor stores. That's just medical shops too, just wait til general retail starts. I don't think you can say there's no money in it, maybe the money isn't as concentrated as it is with Coors or Anheuser-Busch, but there's lots of money to be made. There is even more money to be made when you consider the industrial hemp portion of 64, hemp requires less water than corn and the products you can make with it are numerous and diverse.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
What blowback could there ever possibly be? Weed will be legal, that will become the new norm, and people will care about its legality past that point as they do about alcohol's legality.(i.e. not at all since no one is ever going to try to ban it again)

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

NathanScottPhillips posted:

What's this blow back you're talking about? I live in Denver and it seems like pot acceptance just keeps growing and growing. Like that article says, more people in Colorado voted to legalize pot than for Obama, if there is a real effort to repeal 64 there will be riots.

Also, there are more marijuana dispensaries in Denver than liquor stores. That's just medical shops too, just wait til general retail starts. I don't think you can say there's no money in it, maybe the money isn't as concentrated as it is with Coors or Anheuser-Busch, but there's lots of money to be made. There is even more money to be made when you consider the industrial hemp portion of 64, hemp requires less water than corn and the products you can make with it are numerous and diverse.

The price, along with all associated taxes, will drop. That drop will piss off lawmakers as they were expecting that money. Americans really like cheap drugs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mugrim posted:

The price, along with all associated taxes, will drop. That drop will piss off lawmakers as they were expecting that money. Americans really like cheap drugs.

Just set an excise tax per whatever quantity like cigarettes and liquor. Its not hard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Just set an excise tax per whatever quantity like cigarettes and liquor. Its not hard.

You'll find that plenty of states have very low taxes on those. E.g. Colorado's excise tax on a pack of cigarettes is only 84 cents, while the highest state tax is New York's $4.35. (Both of course being on top of the federal $1.01)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

You'll find that plenty of states have very low taxes on those. E.g. Colorado's excise tax on a pack of cigarettes is only 84 cents, while the highest state tax is New York's $4.35. (Both of course being on top of the federal $1.01)

Those really aren't that low as a percentage of the cost of a pack.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Those really aren't that low as a percentage of the cost of a pack.

Considering the difference between the price of weed as it is now, and the price of weed with proper mass manufacturing and legality, it doesn't come anywhere close.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Two bill were passed yesterday in Colorado, first to create a regulatory agency and the second is to add the marijuana tax to the November ballot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2013/05/08/colorado-lawmakers-pass-landmark.html

quote:

Here are some key provisions from HB 1317:

• Disbands the Department of Revenue’s Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division and creates the Marijuana Enforcement Division with “the authority to regulate medical marijuana and retail marijuana.”

• Gives existing medical marijuana dispensaries first crack at applying for retail licenses, converting the dispensary to a retail operation or adding a retail marijuana business. The fee is $500 for existing dispensary owners and $5,000 for new applicants.

• Creates a three-month moratorium on retail marijuana license applications from nondispensary applicants.

• Requires that all “officers, managers and employees” of marijuana retail businesses to be state residents. Owners must have lived in the state for two years prior to applying.

• Limits the sale of marijuana to nonresidents to a quarter of an ounce “during a single transaction.”
“This bill represents good public policy — it strikes the right balance between responsible regulation, business development opportunity, and reasonable public safety measures,” according to a statement from the Medical Marijuana Industry Group.

Here are some key provisions from HB 1318:

• Creates a 15 percent sales tax on retail marijuana, in addition to the 2.9 percent state sales tax and any local government sales taxes. Ten percent of that will be sent back to local governments that have retail marijuana stores in proportion to the amount of sales tax that local government collects. Allows legislators to lower that tax, then raise it again up to 15 percent, without a voter approval.

• Creates a 15 percent excise tax “of the average market rate of unprocessed retail marijuana statewide on the date that it is sold or transferred” by a marijuana cultivation facility to a retail store. Allows legislators to lower that tax, then raise it again up to 15 percent, without voter approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What justifies levying a special tax on marijuana and not alcohol?

• Locked thread