Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

My financing requires two appraisals because I'm buying a flip. First came back over sales price, which is "good" I guess...

Do you have to go 2 for 2 or do they take the average of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

resident posted:

Do you have to go 2 for 2 or do they take the average of both?

:iiam:

Something something underwriting something I have no idea.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just had our offer accepted. Curious about my mortgage rate. I shopped around a bit and this seemed to be the cheapest but I hear about people getting 3.2 on here?

Does this look right?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just had our offer accepted. Curious about my mortgage rate. I shopped around a bit and this seemed to be the cheapest but I hear about people getting 3.2 on here?

Does this look right?

3.625 is a good rate for a non-conforming (jumbo) loan. The people getting 3.2 are likely doing so for conforming loans (less than $417,000).

I re-financed my house (also non-conforming) last October and I paid half a point to get 3.625% so if you're not paying points I'd say you're doing pretty good. I'm sure rates may have fluctuated a little bit but anecdotally you did better than I did.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Spamtron7000 posted:

3.625 is a good rate for a non-conforming (jumbo) loan. The people getting 3.2 are likely doing so for conforming loans (less than $417,000).

I re-financed my house (also non-conforming) last October and I paid half a point to get 3.625% so if you're not paying points I'd say you're doing pretty good. I'm sure rates may have fluctuated a little bit but anecdotally you did better than I did.

Thanks! Yeah, no points on this.

Here's the house in case someone wants to poo poo all over it before we actually close: http://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/2632-NW-87th-St-98117/home/164197

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Here's the house in case someone wants to poo poo all over it before we actually close: http://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/2632-NW-87th-St-98117/home/164197

Nothing to poo poo over there, that's a beautiful view. I'd recommend driving by a few times at night and other random times since it's really close to neighbors. If you see someone smoking meth and tuning a Harley next door at midnight, you'll know to ask for the moon when your inspection comes back.

As far as your rate, that's insanely good for a jumbo loan. I'm paying 3.875 on my jumbo from end of last year, and I'm very jealous of you.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Flynn posted:

Beautiful home. Congrats! Good luck. I hope you have an easy close.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Thanks. Now I feel better. We walked the street last night and met a bunch of the neighbors. They were all so over the top nice I'm not convinced that they aren't actors.

I guess we also get a key to some private beach over there. We just moved to Seattle from the Bay Area last month and it's absurd how far your money goes here.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Congrats, looks really nice. Make sure you're up for the stairs. We just escaped from a tri-level townhouse (with a split lower-level) into a rambler in the exurbs.

Randomly
Jan 20, 2013

Comrade Flynn posted:

Does this look right?
Thats not a great rate. Its not a bad rate. It's a normal rate.

The previous poster mistook your loan for a jumbo. In Seattle, the conforming loan limit is 506,000 meaning you can still get conforming rates at that loan size. With you putting down 20%, you could get a little better but then we don't know your credit or your DTI.

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Randomly posted:

Thats not a great rate. Its not a bad rate. It's a normal rate.

The previous poster mistook your loan for a jumbo. In Seattle, the conforming loan limit is 506,000 meaning you can still get conforming rates at that loan size. With you putting down 20%, you could get a little better but then we don't know your credit or your DTI.

The conforming loan limit is $417k in Washington, $506k is the high cost limit for the Fannie high balance/Freddie super conforming programs in King county. High Balance/Super Conforming rates won't be as good as regular conforming Fannie/Freddie products, but should still better than portfolio jumbo products.

Edit: clarified county limit

Captain Windex fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 26, 2013

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Thanks. Now I feel better. We walked the street last night and met a bunch of the neighbors. They were all so over the top nice I'm not convinced that they aren't actors.

I guess we also get a key to some private beach over there. We just moved to Seattle from the Bay Area last month and it's absurd how far your money goes here.

If you really want a mind gently caress go to Iowa and check out home prices. You could buy a small town with that loan.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Windex posted:

The conforming loan limit is $417k in Washington, $506k is the high cost limit for the Fannie high balance/Freddie super conforming programs. High Balance/Super Conforming rates won't be as good as regular conforming Fannie/Freddie products, but should still better than portfolio jumbo products.

This is exactly what happened with us. It varies by lender in high cost of living areas. Some will term everything over the national limit (417k or whatever) as jumbo, while some will give you a break if you are between the limits (above 417k but under your county's max conforming loan limit). I found no lender that would give us the under-417k rate for one that was between the limits. Basically, try to find a lender that doesn't charge you the full jumbo rate if you are in between limits.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Question for the brokers out there. I'm selling my house and trying to understand what fees I have to pay at closing.

Per http://www.realtor.com/home-finance/homebuyer-information/closing-costs-buyers-and-sellers-must-pay.aspx

I know I have to pay off my mortgage, commissions to buyer/sellers broker, Attorney Fees, Notary Fees, Transfer Taxes, but don't get what "title insurance fees" I have to pay? I bought title insurance on my mortgage when I first bought it(the lenders insurance, I didn't bother buying my own).

What title insurance fees might I have to pay? Note, that I am not paying any of the buyers closing costs....

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
I have a question about Title Insurance. On my Fee Estimate, there are two types: Owners and Lenders. Lenders is required and costs roughly $900, while Owners is optional and roughly $800. From what I understand, Owners Title Insurance protects me from defects in the title, so that I won't lose my house in case of some incorrect wording or somesuch.

That seems like an incredible racket to me. Do title fraud/errors ever seriously happen? And how could it possibly happen that I put tens of thousands of dollars down on a house, then make monthly payments, and lose everything because of some incorrect wording in a title? It seems like a scare tactic to get me to pony up more money, sort of like $20/month warranties for iPods.

Also, isn't that what my attorney is supposed to do? Make sure I'm not signing away thousands of dollars into a black hole? I'm pretty skeptical of this.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Seph posted:

I have a question about Title Insurance. On my Fee Estimate, there are two types: Owners and Lenders. Lenders is required and costs roughly $900, while Owners is optional and roughly $800. From what I understand, Owners Title Insurance protects me from defects in the title, so that I won't lose my house in case of some incorrect wording or somesuch.

That seems like an incredible racket to me. Do title fraud/errors ever seriously happen? And how could it possibly happen that I put tens of thousands of dollars down on a house, then make monthly payments, and lose everything because of some incorrect wording in a title? It seems like a scare tactic to get me to pony up more money, sort of like $20/month warranties for iPods.

Also, isn't that what my attorney is supposed to do? Make sure I'm not signing away thousands of dollars into a black hole? I'm pretty skeptical of this.

Title/fraud errors seriously happen. And you would be surprised at how few intrinsic safeguards there are.

Let's say someone was married after buying the house at some point way back. Then they decided to combine accounts, including home ownership. Now the original owner was the only person on the original title, but we've just added a second person who has claim to title. Now they divorce. Now the original owner dies and his kid sells you the house.

Maybe this happened 30 years ago, and the house has been sold twice, and now suddenly the divorcee or their son/daughter is coming forward. Oops! You've got litigation!

Another nasty surprise, and far more common; what if the previous owner had repair work done and took a lein out on the house? What if they never paid their bill? Suddenly there is a contractor with a legitimate claim against the home and you're the owner. Hurray!

Remember when you are buying a house that you're getting a pile of debt as well as assets, and this is what title insurance is there to mitigate. If you've ever gone to an auction, where you're trying to buy homes without any title guarantee (and half of them have claims against them already) you will get a little taste of just how terrifying it is to not have clear title/insurance to cover you.

The first time you see a 200k home fail to post a bid for $40k because of the existing claims against the home or murky title, and then it happens again and again, you'll get a better picture of why title insurance is a really ok thing to have exist.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2013

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished closing on my first home purchase :toot:

Thanks to this thread for being an incredibly helpful resource through the most stressful few months of my life.

Now other than actually moving I might get a break in the stress until poo poo starts falling apart left and right :v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'm closing on Monday!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Someone needs to change the title back to do never buy, canvass you paint money on seems to be encouraging purchases somehow.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So who the hell do I chose for Home Insurance? Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers, AmFam, State Farm.... they are all different prices when the rep I speak with plugs in the exact same amount of coverage so I can compare apples to apples. Is there any fundamental difference between any insurance company that's worth picking one over the other?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Astro7x posted:

So who the hell do I chose for Home Insurance? Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers, AmFam, State Farm.... they are all different prices when the rep I speak with plugs in the exact same amount of coverage so I can compare apples to apples. Is there any fundamental difference between any insurance company that's worth picking one over the other?

As long as the coverages are the same for each quote, no not really.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Astro7x posted:

As someone who works for one of those insurance companies you listed, here's what I think: If you purchase the same coverage, you are entitled to the same coverage regardless of how much you pay. However, your premium also pays for the salaries of claims adjusters, phone staff, etc. that you would be interacting with if you ever have a claim. Some companies have notably better customer relations... look it up if you are interested. I am obviously biased so I won't name names.

These companies will pay out faster, not litigate as much, and generally be more accommodating than their cheaper competitors. So it's up to you to weigh the benefit of customer relations vs lower premium.

Seph fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 26, 2013

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

lord1234 posted:

What title insurance fees might I have to pay? Note, that I am not paying any of the buyers closing costs....

In many markets it's standard practice for the seller to pay for the buyer's owner's title policy, check your purchase agreement to see if it shows the seller covering. It is often its own section since it is so common it's not really considered to be a seller concession.

Captain Windex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 27, 2013

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Captain Windex posted:

In many markets it's standard practice for the seller to pay for the buyer's owner's title policy, check your purchase agreement to see if it shows the seller covering. It's often it's own section since its so common it's not really considered to be a seller concession.

Not common in the MA market....i paid for mine...

Thanks for the clearing up

Randomly
Jan 20, 2013

Captain Windex posted:

The conforming loan limit is $417k in Washington, $506k is the high cost limit for the Fannie high balance/Freddie super conforming programs in King county. High Balance/Super Conforming rates won't be as good as regular conforming Fannie/Freddie products, but should still better than portfolio jumbo products.

Edit: clarified county limit

You're right. Its a SuperConforming and not a conforming. The previous poster is still not a jumbo and still not a great rate. I checked our rates today and we were a 1/8th better. I think the original poster could get a slightly better deal.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm closing on Monday!

Thanks for all the help guys!

HEY INSANE TOTORO
BUY A HOUSE

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I like turtles posted:

HEY INSANE TOTORO
BUY A HOUSE

I loving just did. Save the cheerleading for when the loving panic ends :(

Find me a safe for reals though!

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
So, last week I made on offer on a condo in this building: http://www.1000westlofts-lawsuit.com/site. It...it did not go well. I was aware of the litigation saga, but I didn't realize that the banks wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without at least 20% down.

Shopping for condos in Chicago is always fun.

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Mandals posted:

So, last week I made on offer on a condo in this building: http://www.1000westlofts-lawsuit.com/site. It...it did not go well. I was aware of the litigation saga, but I didn't realize that the banks wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without at least 20% down.

Shopping for condos in Chicago is always fun.

What the hell bank is willing to touch that project period, never mind 20% down? I'm seeing a number of major violations of agency condo guidelines within the first few paragraphs of the overview alone... More importantly, you're aware of these problems and still were interested in living there? :crossarms:

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Captain Windex posted:

What the hell bank is willing to touch that project period, never mind 20% down? I'm seeing a number of major violations of agency condo guidelines within the first few paragraphs of the overview alone... More importantly, you're aware of these problems and still were interested in living there? :crossarms:

That site is about 4 years out of date, maybe more. The guy just leaves it up because, if you can't tell, he's an obsessive crazy person with a grudge. Right now the building has 3 lawsuits against it--2 of them pending settlement. I was willing to take the risk because the unit really is nice, they have an entirely new condo board, addressed all the violations, built back up their reserves, etc.

But it's cool. The unit had some weird layout issues anyway, and I'm already finding other places.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
So I've been talking to the loan officer my agent works with, and she's been quoting me a 4.35% loan with 5% down. I called my credit union and they quoted me a 3.5% loan with the same money down, as long as 3% of it was mine and not gifted. I told this to my loan officer and she said "a lower rate doesn't always mean a lower total payment." The credit union said that my monthly payment was almost 400 dollars lower a month with their quote. What the gently caress is going on? I don't like getting dicked around :mad:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trillest Parrot posted:

So I've been talking to the loan officer my agent works with, and she's been quoting me a 4.35% loan with 5% down. I called my credit union and they quoted me a 3.5% loan with the same money down, as long as 3% of it was mine and not gifted. I told this to my loan officer and she said "a lower rate doesn't always mean a lower total payment." The credit union said that my monthly payment was almost 400 dollars lower a month with their quote. What the gently caress is going on? I don't like getting dicked around :mad:

If those are both the same loan lengths and terms, that 4.35% seems incredibly high right now.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just got the appraisal back for my condo and it came back $9000 more than my offer. Instant equity, huzzah!

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Trillest Parrot posted:

4.375 is about the highest our rate sheets are going right now and that pays about 4 points without adjustments on conventional, that's really high. Assuming terms are the same (30 year fixed conventional or FHA) there's not really a way for a lower rate to not mean a lower total payment outside of using different MI companies (conventional only) and the variances in their charges are going to be negligible compared to .875 in your rate.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

This is probably a long shot, but are there any Canadians here who know where I could look for house prices/market outlook information? There's lots of info available for Toronto, but I'm looking at Niagara and I have found almost nothing.

Ideally I'd like to be able to find recent sale prices for the neighborhoods I am looking at, but it appears that individuals can't get that information except through a realtor, or spending $8 a pop for land records. I'd also like to know how inflated the prices are compared to the GTA, but I have found nothing except CMHC's outlook, which is vague and rosy.

I want to buy, but not if prices are at their peak, which they might be right now.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
so...we have our inspection sometime this week. Is it ok to "join them" for the inspection? I'd like to hear what complaints the inspector has for the house. There really shouldn't be much, but I'd like to hear it..

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lord1234 posted:

so...we have our inspection sometime this week. Is it ok to "join them" for the inspection? I'd like to hear what complaints the inspector has for the house. There really shouldn't be much, but I'd like to hear it..

Are you the buyer or the seller?

If buyer you absolutely should be there.

If you are the seller I think you're allowed to be there but you probably shouldn't be. You should get a copy of the final report anyway I think?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
As a buyer, I remember we were not required to send the inspection to the seller. But yes, if you are the buyer go on your inspection. It's pretty much a 4 hour lesson in all the stuff you're going to have to maintain when you have a home.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
If you are the seller absolutely do not go. What are you going to do, argue with the inspector? At best just make everyone uncomfortable? If you are the buyer absolutely go, ask questions, have them explain any deficiencies and how concerned you should be about them. The inspector is going to tell you everything that is obviously wrong with the house and you probably aren't going to fix all of them anytime soon.

Like Astro7x said, it's basically a lesson of stuff you are going to spend time and money dealing with over your ownership of the house and is going to be very important information on how you prioritize making improvements by a person that doesn't have any interest in it, the next time you are going to have someone looking at the house in that way is probably someone trying to sell you something expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Are you the buyer or the seller?

If buyer you absolutely should be there.

If you are the seller I think you're allowed to be there but you probably shouldn't be. You should get a copy of the final report anyway I think?

I am the seller. Why shouldn't I be there?