Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

a starwar betamax posted:

I've heard people actually enjoy listening to the WTF guy talk about himself while ignoring his guests. Is this true or just an in-joke by his fans?

“I’m terrified of [Marc] Maron. So the whole time I talk to him I’m like, if he insults me I’m going to say, ‘I’m going to be a millionaire by making an app that skips the first 10 minutes of your podcast.’” —Pete Holmes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
My bitching about Maron aside it was interesting to hear these guys talk more about themselves and their personal lives. I'm also excited to hear that Jogger is working on another album. Haven't heard anything out of them in awhile it seems like.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Funny, I just listened to the old old ep where Jonathan has his rant how he despises podcasts with quote/sound effect/guitar riff intros and hosts who address their audience as 'fuckers'.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Binowru posted:

“I’m terrified of [Marc] Maron. So the whole time I talk to him I’m like, if he insults me I’m going to say, ‘I’m going to be a millionaire by making an app that skips the first 10 minutes of your podcast.’” —Pete Holmes

That's a great quote, the whole time I was listening to the monologue I was thinking "Someone could have a pretty popular blog just posting when the monologue ends" but I don't want to listen to WTF so that's still up for grabs.

It was interesting listening to the guys be semi-real. Like everyone else, I could definitely see chipping in for a Never Not Funny-style subscription for the show, especially if it meant them nailing down a show a week. Also, I think Seth is just kind of shy outside of the podcast, rather than necessarily hating being there.

This week's episode was great, I always love when Seth has a quiz for Jonathan.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

Funny, I just listened to the old old ep where Jonathan has his rant how he despises podcasts with quote/sound effect/guitar riff intros and hosts who address their audience as 'fuckers'.

I suspect (or 'know') that this is a direct reference to Joe Rogan Experience. His intro is 'meow noise', 'are we on?', 'hit it', 'quote', 'guitar riff', 'fade out', 'whats up you fuckers/dirty bitches/loving savages'. It's 100% sincere as well.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Greggy posted:

Also, I think Seth is just kind of shy outside of the podcast, rather than necessarily hating being there.

Yeah that's the feeling I got too. I've had friends tell me they thought I didn't like them at first but really I'm just kinda quiet around new people. It's like with the live shows, he's not as talkative during those but he says he loves doing them, and in 369 he says he enjoyed being on Maron's show.

widunder
May 2, 2002

well why not posted:

I suspect (or 'know') that this is a direct reference to Joe Rogan Experience. His intro is 'meow noise', 'are we on?', 'hit it', 'quote', 'guitar riff', 'fade out', 'whats up you fuckers/dirty bitches/loving savages'. It's 100% sincere as well.
I'm pretty 'sure' that episode predates JRE's existence.

E: by two and a half years, even.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

nemoulette posted:

I'm pretty 'sure' that episode predates JRE's existence.

E: by two and a half years, even.

It's such an old idea though, that's what makes the JRE opening so awful. I know exactly the kind of attitude Jonathan means, where the host is all "whhhhhhhhhaaaaatsuuuuup you pussies, here;s some RAWwwwww comedy comin' at cheyyaaaamotherfuckers!!" Not the lighthearted calling the listeners of WTF "WTFers"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Marion's podcast is a coping mechanism for all his extreme neurosis so it's generally not surprising when his interviews become more about himself than the guest. I didn't think it was a huge deal in this up, he can get really really bad about it.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Jah's impersonation of the bad podcast host really is spot on though. I think I'd actually enjoy a thread about lovely podcasts. It's not like the fodder would ever run out.

It'd be like the bad KickStarter thread, but with audio.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

That particular bit ties in with the advertising stuff from the WTF interview to encapsulate what I love so much about UYD. The intro song plays, then it's just two guys talking, and you're there with them. Just listening to some tunes and chatting. No promo for Audible, no film clips, no plugs for whatever loving microbrew is being drank that night. UYD is one of the few podcasts I can listen to without skipping the first three minutes each time.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think Seth and Jonathan could make their plugs bearable a la Scott Aukerman and Steve Austin. Considering the way Aukerman does them it seems like you have free reign pretty much, and UYD could probably make it pretty funny.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

dvorak posted:

If I took anything away from the WTF, it was that Seth really has and does use the show as a coping mechanism for his recovery. I always suspected as much, but he really spelled it out.

I don't doubt at all that they really would do the show forever if they could.

Its pretty clear that Seth is just trying to understand the world. From all the times he says "I'm just trying to understand the world". Like that's what the podcast is about. And what makes it work is that he asks Jonathan, and Jonathan answers decisively, and stupidly.

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 23, 2013

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I like to imagine that Pepsi has hooked Seth up with pallets of Pepsi Max as a way to thank him for years of plugs

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

I like to imagine that Pepsi has hooked Seth up with pallets of Pepsi Max as a way to thank him for years of plugs

Stacked in the bed of a brand new Silverado.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

Stacked in the bed of a brand new Silverado.

With a diesel engine. Romatelli special.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was going to say above all else they really deserve Gold Starbucks cards with unlimited funds, but then realized that Seth would still prefer to pay for his tall black coffee with two singles.

Jonathan, meanwhile, would wind up in the hospital after a week after taking down enough sugar and soy to kill a small mammal.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wheatgrass by the barrell

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES

Cast No Engine posted:

I think Seth and Jonathan could make their plugs bearable a la Scott Aukerman and Steve Austin. Considering the way Aukerman does them it seems like you have free reign pretty much, and UYD could probably make it pretty funny.

If Scott Aukermans plugs are bearable then I really don't want to know what else is out there. I use the skip 15 seconds button on my phone more on Comedy Bang Bang than anything else.
UYD ruined all other podcasts for me because, as earlier posts have said they're funnier than the rest and don't have any bullshit.
I stopped subscribing to Pardo's podcast once I found UYD so count me as another person happy to pay a subscription fee to keep it running.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I already throw the guys some $ every couple of months through their Paypal so I wouldn't have any problem with them running some type of subscription. If that's what it takes to keep the podcast going I'm 100% for it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It was really weird to hear Seth mention Harris Wittels/Analyze Phish in the last episode. After years of imagining Seth as being fairly Tech Unsavvy, the idea that he knows any other podcast is baffling to me, even after talking briefly about Earwolf on the WTF episode.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I would totally subscribe to UYD.

Also I always think it's super endearing how shy Seth is when he's not just doing the regular show.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cast No Engine posted:

They pulled it off pretty well with the Adam & Eve sponsorship, and I enjoyed the Entourage ones. I think they could do stuff really effectively the way Greg Proops does ads on The Smartest Man in the World.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Power of Pecota posted:

They pulled it off pretty well with the Adam & Eve sponsorship, and I enjoyed the Entourage ones. I think they could do stuff really effectively the way Greg Proops does ads on The Smartest Man in the World.

Or how My Brother My Brother and Me actually turn it into an anticipated segment every ep

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Or how My Brother My Brother and Me actually turn it into an anticipated segment every ep

That show is awful and not even in the same realm as uyd.

As someone who's spoken with Seth about sobriety over the phone, it's disheartening. The guy is genuinely miserable about the decision it seems.

I'm two months sober, though... So there's that.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

david carmichael posted:

Its pretty clear that Seth is just trying to understand the world. From all the times he says "I'm just trying to understand the world". Like that's what the podcast is about. And what makes it work is that he asks Jonathan, and Jonathan answers decisively, and stupidly.

I mean, that's pretty much what we all want, and that's what the show's about.

Pretty sure I'll actually call Seth one of these days. I just have no idea what I would say.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 24, 2013

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Power of Pecota posted:

Hah, during the Entourage run, Seth was telling a story about seeing someone, who goes out with someone, etc., brought it around to mentioning "now going out with so-and-so", and J-dog, in his perplexed voice, said "Who's that?" Seth pauses and says "So-and-so, on Entourage." That little bit is my favorite part of that sponsorship.

Oh, and when they talked about the explicit Adam & Eve banner ad on the web page. That was hilarious.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

nub posted:

Hah, during the Entourage run, Seth was telling a story about seeing someone, who goes out with someone, etc., brought it around to mentioning "now going out with so-and-so", and J-dog, in his perplexed voice, said "Who's that?" Seth pauses and says "So-and-so, on Entourage." That little bit is my favorite part of that sponsorship.

Oh, and when they talked about the explicit Adam & Eve banner ad on the web page. That was hilarious.

I heard some of the entourage stuff, I don't think I heard the Adam & Eve bits, but I do know when listening to old episodes that talk about Michael Jackson I'm thinking "These fucks don't even know yet, this is crazy I can't wait to hear about them finding out".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nub posted:

He was referring to Adrien Grenier as Vinnie Chase, wasn't he? Way to do the bare minimum of research on the sponsors Jonathan :negative:

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

JethroMcB posted:

He was referring to Adrien Grenier as Vinnie Chase, wasn't he? Way to do the bare minimum of research on the sponsors Jonathan :negative:

Oh poo poo that's right, it was the main character. J-dog blithely stumbling through life, great job taking the poo poo seriously.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I think what everyone should do is to call in on the voicemail and recommened them doing premium episodes. Things like Craigslist, Florida news, Who's _____ Harder, or like that one episode where they just went through a bunch of insane news stories one by one. They could do it like DLM does it, through iTunes. That way, they get some cash and not have to step too far out of their realm.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The thing is they could absolutely monetise the podcast if they wanted to. Never Not Funny is basically subscription based, and would anyone really begrudge paying like 50 cents an episode or something? I don't think it'll harm the integrity of the show but it did make it sound like they're only just able to get by as things are right now. For the show to survive they either have to sell the gently caress out of some T-Shirts, start doing some pay only episodes or do what a lot of podcasts do now and make the backlog of episodes to order in a boxset.

As for the episode I thought it got a little weird every time Jonathan talked for Seth. I think part of it was just covering for Seth because he knows how nervous he gets but there were a few times when Maron would ask a question of Seth and Jonathan would step in or where Jonathan just straight up talks over him. It occasionally got obtrusive but I don't think there was anything malicious there, and Seth clearly gets shy when he's talking with other people.

Anyway, it was good to hear that they're going to be doing merchandise again. Hopefully they put Seth in charge.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Splits posted:

As someone who's spoken with Seth about sobriety over the phone, it's disheartening. The guy is genuinely miserable about the decision it seems.

I'm two months sober, though... So there's that.

I think a lot of people share it but just don't discuss that side of it much. A lot of people have that attitude of "it's not fun, but it's the best thing for me". I think(hope?) that Seth is using humor to cope with it and playing up the negative aspect because that's where he sees the humor. His quote that it's better to “never ever leave your own reality and just look at life the way it is and never once escape to an alternate dreamscape of peace and happiness” really captures the bleakness and absurdity of the whole thing while still finding the truth to it. Good luck with your own sobriety, I hope it works out for you.

The WTF episode was good, I think Maron did a good job of getting Seth to be real; at the beginning he wouldn't talk except to jump in and start doing a comedy bit, but he let his guard down as the show went on. That's Marc's biggest strength as an interviewer; he's super transparent about his own issues and has an attitude of acceptance about stuff rather than positive/negative, so the interviews have a judgement-free atmosphere.

I couldn't tell how much was jokes and how much was being serious when they were talking about Seth's acting gigs, did Jah's dad really pull strings to get him work?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Getting back to my backlog journey, and at the end of episode 107 Seth says "I wish we could do this show forever" :3:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

little munchkin posted:

I couldn't tell how much was jokes and how much was being serious when they were talking about Seth's acting gigs, did Jah's dad really pull strings to get him work?
Well, for his appearance in that McBride movie, at least, I assume that was a given.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WoG posted:

Well, for his appearance in that McBride movie, at least, I assume that was a given.

Yeah the stories Seth told about his acting gigs are consistent with when he told them on the show. So I'm assuming that's how it all went down.

It's funny that Jah mentioned how Seth looks more like his dad than he does, and got that part in the pilot actually playing a young John Larroquette in a flashback sequence. I actually forgot about that clip that was on the site.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

dvorak posted:

Yeah the stories Seth told about his acting gigs are consistent with when he told them on the show. So I'm assuming that's how it all went down.

It's funny that Jah mentioned how Seth looks more like his dad than he does, and got that part in the pilot actually playing a young John Larroquette in a flashback sequence. I actually forgot about that clip that was on the site.

wait, that's a thing? i thought i was just super perceptive with my observation

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

david carmichael posted:

wait, that's a thing? i thought i was just super perceptive with my observation

No, that's actually a thing. He mentioned it once a long time ago, and then more recently.

50's Seth was a god drat attractive man, too. He looked spot on.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I bust out laughing during the most recent episode's Horse Weed Mind's Eye when Seth responded to Jah's guess with, "And that's how I do it." That rare glimpse into his process, since we know where he gets all the strain names from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dvorak posted:

No, that's actually a thing. He mentioned it once a long time ago, and then more recently.

50's Seth was a god drat attractive man, too. He looked spot on.

How is this not on youtube?