Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pureauthor posted:

So do we talk about the fact that Bravely Default is definitely getting localized for Europe and NA here or somewhere else?

I never understood the hype behind this game. Vaporware like Versus, sure. Type-0, definitely. Bravely Default...? Eh... I'm sure my younger self would've liked it. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

When I was a kid, I must've had dyslexia or something because I pronounced Sephiroth "SEHR - EH - POY - TH" and I misread Shinra and "Shrina". It wasn't until I played the game again in high school that I realized how wrong I was. Surprisingly, I got Masamune right somehow.

Though I have always wondered: how to you pronounce Tifa? Is it "TEE - FAH" or "TIH - FAH"?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Serf posted:

When I was a kid, I must've had dyslexia or something because I pronounced Sephiroth "SEHR - EH - POY - TH" and I misread Shinra and "Shrina". It wasn't until I played the game again in high school that I realized how wrong I was. Surprisingly, I got Masamune right somehow.

Though I have always wondered: how to you pronounce Tifa? Is it "TEE - FAH" or "TIH - FAH"?

Now I need to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSb1fg6sQuU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krad posted:

I never understood the hype behind this game. Vaporware like Versus, sure. Type-0, definitely. Bravely Default...? Eh... I'm sure my younger self would've liked it. I guess.
I really enjoyed 4 Heroes of Light, and the similar art style is making me hope I will enjoy BD as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Krad posted:

It's a Job System Final Fantasy.

Really that's enough for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Serf posted:

I've always assumed that it's short for Tiffany, but the obvious solution is to rename everyone Sephiroth as God intended.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

It's a Job System Final Fantasy.

Really that's enough for me.

Yep, same here. Looking forward to it a hell of a lot more than I am Versus or 15 just because of that.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Healbot posted:

Europe will have it later this year actually.

This makes it more like their incomprehensible Android releases :argh:

Serf posted:

AC used Tee-fah

Winks fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 18, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Short for Latifah.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My craving for a job system FF is probably gonna lead to me buying FF:Dimensions on iOS even though it's like $20. I bought FF5 and played through all of it :v:

1st AD posted:

Short for Latifah.

Oh poo poo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My craving for a job system FF is probably gonna lead to me buying FF:Dimensions on iOS even though it's like $20. I bought FF5 and played through all of it :v:

It's honestly worth it. Good game, pretty decent postgame poo poo too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

It's honestly worth it. Good game, pretty decent postgame poo poo too.

Yeah with all the posts I've seen about it in this thread I think I'd enjoy it. You can mess up your team permanently though, right? With the limited JP spending and all.

SE games do have sales on iOS every so often so I think I'll wait to see if it drops.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah with all the posts I've seen about it in this thread I think I'd enjoy it. You can mess up your team permanently though, right? With the limited JP spending and all.

Ehhh. I wouldn't say "mess up permanently" because A) there's Moogle Coins, which give extra JP and can be earned infinitely if slowly, and B) there are very few "trap" options in FFD. You might have something sub-ideal, but never "bad".

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll testify to ffd having just beaten it. 46 hours with no real sidequesting, high level 70s. Even if you mess up your jp spending, you can still do fine as long as you don't do something dumb like give every class 4 points. Its a very complete game worth the money.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SE games do have sales on iOS every so often so I think I'll wait to see if it drops.

Even sub-optimal setups are enough for the final boss. It's the post-game stuff that requires more careful setup and as said, you can earn the Moogle coins to get more JP pretty easily. By endgame you have enough JP to definitely max four classes, maybe five. That's a LOT of JP since most classes don't require a full 20 level investment to be worthwhile.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

If Dimensions had been a $40 PSP game I still would have thought it was worth it.

You can max 5 classes with the story JP plus 7 moogle coins in Chapter 4, not counting the ones you can get from postgame boss grinding. That's about half the classes available to each character. You can do SOMETHING with that.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 18, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Dross posted:

If Dimensions had been a $40 PSP game I still would have thought it was worth it.

That's more or less how I justified it, if I could pay thirty bucks for the GBA ports then I could pay the asking price for Dimensions. :v:

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

I've barely started on this but here's a two-hour long video (with the option of english subtitles) from SE where they answer a bunch of questions about FF 14. Having never bothered playing a MMO in my entire life I think it looks good so far :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjoh3VEPyLU

Duel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
On the subject of FF: Dimensions, they just updated the game to fix the audio issues on some devices. Now I don't have that weird popping/crackling noise on my Nexus 10! Makes the game quite a bit more enjoyable. If you were having similar issues, I suggest grabbing the update.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Levantine posted:

On the subject of FF: Dimensions, they just updated the game to fix the audio issues on some devices. Now I don't have that weird popping/crackling noise on my Nexus 10! Makes the game quite a bit more enjoyable. If you were having similar issues, I suggest grabbing the update.

I however grabbed the update on my Vizio tablet and now the game won't even launch. So update with caution.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Levantine posted:

I updated the game and now it has difficulty even booting up. But the sound is better! I have a Nexus S, though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've been looking forward to Bravely Default. If it has the same level-scaling as 4 Heroes of Light I will be sad. I liked that game but that was a terrible idea.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I'm so close to beating FF9, only the final boss is able to kill me.

I've been using Zidane, Dagger, Amarant and Freya, but it's not cutting it. I tried with Zidane, Eiko, Steiner, Vivi but still no luck. What is a good strategy? And if I need to get AP/XP, where do I get it at this point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grawl posted:

I've been using Zidane, Dagger, Amarant and Freya, but it's not cutting it. I tried with Zidane, Eiko, Steiner, Vivi but still no luck. What is a good strategy? And if I need to get AP/XP, where do I get it at this point?

What spells and abilities are you using? What equipment do you have? You shouldn't really need to grind for EXP or anything, t's probably just a case where you could be using better tactics or abilities.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

ImpAtom posted:

What spells and abilities are you using? What equipment do you have? You shouldn't really need to grind for EXP or anything, t's probably just a case where you could be using better tactics or abilities.

Feel free to check (using this should work)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svg3gdbgud1f6i0/SLUS01251.rar

e: wrong saves, fixed.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 22, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The general cheese strategy is to equip everyone with Auto-Reflect and Auto-Regen. Summon a lot to let Auto-Regen heal, and have Vivi reflect off your team for auto 9999 damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grawl posted:

How is he killing you? Grand Cross is really his only 'bad' move and it's luck-reliant, his spells and Neutron Ring might deal a bunch of damage but nothing is unhealable.

If nobody is too far behind on levels, the 'best' party for Necron from an objective stand-point is Eiko, Steiner, Freya, and the last slot can be whoever you choose, but I usually go with Vivi. Necron is weak to Holy and Wind, so Eiko can do large amounts of damage with Holy, Steiner with the Excalibur and Bird Killer also deals a bunch. If you've fully powered up Dragon Crest, Freya works well, but if you haven't, you can either go with the much more expensive Dragon's Breath or stick to Jump. Vivi's Flares aren't the most powerful, but they're decent enough and with him in the party, Steiner can use Flare Sword, which pierces Protect (Necron likes to toss one up every so often).

Eiko/Dagger with Auto-Regen works very well against Necron, as mentioned.

But if you need EXP, the best way are Grand Dragons outside Daguerro (weak to Ice, or easily taken out with Lv 5 Death). Once you're at a high level you can try Yans on Vile Island, which is SW of the Iifa Tree, but they're much more dangerous. There aren't any easy sources for AP once you're finished with the Friendly Monsters, but level grinding and Ability Up should rapidly expediete the process.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Serf posted:

I figure the intent is the original audience, so Japanese (and Spanish, which is how I remember it) only have one way of pronouncing vowels. so ee.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I've been playing Dimensions beyond the Prologue the last few days; it's actually a lot of fun, once jobs are unlocked. I was wondering... do I need to hold on to my old items? Keeping an overloaded inventory of obsolete garbage is a horrible habit I've had since RPGs started allowing for an unlimited inventory, but I don't have time anymore to be grinding out tons of gil every time I hit an upgrade wall for my gear. There's no weirdo trades or super secret synthesis shops or anything like that later on, is there?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Captain Vittles posted:

I was wondering... do I need to hold on to my old items? Keeping an overloaded inventory of obsolete garbage is a horrible habit I've had since RPGs started allowing for an unlimited inventory, but I don't have time anymore to be grinding out tons of gil every time I hit an upgrade wall for my gear. There's no weirdo trades or super secret synthesis shops or anything like that later on, is there?

Nope, at least not as far as equipment itself is concerned; once you get a new tier of poo poo, sell the old poo poo. There's a few items here and there you might want to keep but they're mostly in endgame or blatantly obviously things you should hang on to (anti-status accessories and the like).

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Captain Vittles posted:

I've been playing Dimensions beyond the Prologue the last few days; it's actually a lot of fun, once jobs are unlocked. I was wondering... do I need to hold on to my old items? Keeping an overloaded inventory of obsolete garbage is a horrible habit I've had since RPGs started allowing for an unlimited inventory, but I don't have time anymore to be grinding out tons of gil every time I hit an upgrade wall for my gear. There's no weirdo trades or super secret synthesis shops or anything like that later on, is there?

In Dimensions, 90% of the time you are wasting your money upgrading your gear in towns since if your party is at all diverse you will find upgrades for everyone in nearly every dungeon. I kicked myself all the time for it but couldn't break the habit.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Dross posted:

In Dimensions, 90% of the time you are wasting your money upgrading your gear in towns since if your party is at all diverse you will find upgrades for everyone in nearly every dungeon. I kicked myself all the time for it but couldn't break the habit.

Yeah, I'm starting to see this. I keep a pretty varied party most of the time - 1 heavily armored, 1 mage-type, 1 utility-type, and 1 red mage. I'm finding town stuff seems to get outclassed pretty quickly once I do a little dungeon diving.

On a side note... a Toad dungeon? Really? I know the team involved in Dimensions was also involved in FF3DS but that's no reason to take one of the worst ideas and use it again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

If nobody is too far behind on levels, the 'best' party for Necron from an objective stand-point is Eiko, Steiner, Freya, and the last slot can be whoever you choose, but I usually go with Vivi. Necron is weak to Holy and Wind, so Eiko can do large amounts of damage with Holy, Steiner with the Excalibur and Bird Killer also deals a bunch. If you've fully powered up Dragon Crest, Freya works well, but if you haven't, you can either go with the much more expensive Dragon's Breath or stick to Jump. Vivi's Flares aren't the most powerful, but they're decent enough and with him in the party, Steiner can use Flare Sword, which pierces Protect (Necron likes to toss one up every so often).
There's also the low-level strat (which can kill very quickly if you get lucky, or else I wouldn't be mentioning it) of making sure everyone's in critical before the fight and then using Steiner's Charge! ability, which makes them all attack. Freya is best here because Necron's weak to her Holy Lance.

Might not be what you're interested in, because it's high variance, but if you only want to beat the game and don't want to grind too much...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Captain Vittles posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to see this. I keep a pretty varied party most of the time - 1 heavily armored, 1 mage-type, 1 utility-type, and 1 red mage. I'm finding town stuff seems to get outclassed pretty quickly once I do a little dungeon diving.

On a side note... a Toad dungeon? Really? I know the team involved in Dimensions was also involved in FF3DS but that's no reason to take one of the worst ideas and use it again.

You're a Toad for all of three screens max and all the enemy encounters are very easy.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

So anyone wanna bet the S stands for social :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veks posted:

Sucker bet.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Veks posted:

I'm trying to google info about this, but I'm not getting anything.

Where did you find this?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Veks posted:

It's a Mobage game, so of course it's going to be, and gougingly cash-shoppy as well.

What is their deal with FFTA-era Ivalice, anyway?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Shaezerus posted:

It's a Mobage game, so of course it's going to be, and gougingly cash-shoppy as well.

What is their deal with FFTA-era Ivalice, anyway?

Ahh ok... The site doesn't load for me for some mysterious reason. What a shame...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're a Toad for all of three screens max and all the enemy encounters are very easy.

Yeah, I was happy to discover the monsters were mind-numbingly easy. It still sucks on principle, though, especially since those big AP gains apparently don't count when you're a toad.