Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

What if he's running from everyone that wants a marble.

Yeah, the most likely explanation is that they were running from a mob of animals asking smitty to find stuff from them. Which would explain why Annie was just laffin' it off.

When I first saw the deer head my first thought was this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, the most likely explanation is that they were running from a mob of animals asking smitty to find stuff from them. Which would explain why Annie was just laffin' it off.

I could totally see Forest creatures just being used to random dudes showing up with some amazing power that they just love using all day long. These are creatures that turn into Red and her classmates when they take a human form, after all.

That or giving the Chickcharny the second marble increases his luck further, causing him to find another marble, and then another. Soon everyone is running from an exponentially expanding wave of marbles.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hodgepodge posted:

That or giving the Chickcharny the second marble increases his luck further, causing him to find another marble, and then another. Soon everyone is running from an exponentially expanding wave of marbles.
Or it could be like that episode of DuckTales that taught a generation about bottlecap hyperinflation.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Paracelsus posted:

Or it could be like that episode of DuckTales that taught a generation about bottlecap hyperinflation.

Is it bad that I always think of this episode when reading about anything related to current economics?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Looks like Smitty's going to be the forest equivalent of the 'can-fix-the-microwave-guy'. I guess that's why they were running, a swarm of forest creatures looking for him to solve their problems.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

berenzen posted:

Looks like Smitty's going to be the forest equivalent of the 'can-fix-the-microwave-guy'. I guess that's why they were running, a swarm of forest creatures looking for him to solve their problems.

Sounds like Smits has never heard of the old saying about fish. Clearly he should be teaching these forest animals to make their own marbles / use their own drat calendars.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I love the fun chapters. Please keep on being a fun chapter.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Oh Smitty, you've made a horrible, horrible mistake.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh dear... Smitty, do you know what you've just done?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Good job Smits, not only does everyone in the office know you can fix computers, now you've shown you can fix the coffee machine too.

You're proper hosed now, old son.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
And the moral of the story is never help anyone ever.

Flitter Reid
Aug 16, 2006

Ow.
The last panel is all like \o/ YAY!

...and now ALL the forest animals are going to come and ask for EVERYTHING. Oh dear, Smitty.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
By the end of this, I fully expect Smitty to be leading a popular rebellion against the Coyote regime.

Smitty 2013: A Government That Works For You

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
So what kind of good luck is it from helping a chickarney twice on the same day? Does it overflow and wrap back around to bad luck?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Geomancing posted:

So what kind of good luck is it from helping a chickarney twice on the same day? Does it overflow and wrap back around to bad luck?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Laser Cow posted:

I love the fun chapters. Please keep on being a fun chapter.

Great, you jinxed it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

IronSaber posted:

Is it bad that I always think of this episode when reading about anything related to current economics?

Yes. The kids cartoon dumbed things down to the point of being completely wrong, so if you reference it to understand policy you are going to end up wrong as well

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'll replace this with a non-ms paint version once I get home tonight:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That panel reminds me of the ice cream edit someone did of a page a while back.

e: found it

Also kind of amazing that I was able to figure out almost exactly when the original comic went up, due to the consistent schedule. I remember there being an archive page with a calendar, but can't seem to find it now.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Smitty could run for President. He'd get 100% of the votes but nobody would ever suspect him of any form of cheating, even the other candidates would vote for him and they wouldn't quite be sure why. Then he'd accidentally turn the world into an entirely perfect utopia.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Geomancing posted:

It must be bad luck. I'm still scared of the chickarney's dodgy red eyes. I'm all anxious about it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Wait, so when is this, exactly, in relation to the last chapter? At the beginning of Chapter 41, Shadow was all "Winter's here" as if it had just arrived, and now it's two weeks till spring. Does that mean it's been like, two months since Kat received the love letter?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rasamune posted:

Wait, so when is this, exactly, in relation to the last chapter? At the beginning of Chapter 41, Shadow was all "Winter's here" as if it had just arrived, and now it's two weeks till spring. Does that mean it's been like, two months since Kat received the love letter?

Shadow still has trouble with seasons, the poor dear.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes. The kids cartoon dumbed things down to the point of being completely wrong, so if you reference it to understand policy you are going to end up wrong as well
(says the person using "kids['] cartoon" as a pejorative in a thread about a comic)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

(says the person using "kids['] cartoon" as a pejorative in a thread about a comic)

Maybe not a pejorative, but I could see how even a quality kids cartoon might not be the most accurate or cohesive form of economic education. Basically that one DuckTales episode and the fear of hyperinflation it has caused is responsible for the current over tightness of internation monetary and fiscal policy and the widespread unemployment throughout Europe and it can go to hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cafel posted:

Maybe not a pejorative, but I could see how even a quality kids cartoon might not be the most accurate or cohesive form of economic education. Basically that one DuckTales episode and the fear of hyperinflation it has caused is responsible for the current over tightness of internation monetary and fiscal policy and the widespread unemployment throughout Europe and it can go to hell.

I think the actual hyperinflation that happened in the 1930s might have had more influence than one single episode of some Disney cartoon.

Is this thread still about Gunnerkrigg Court by the way? I'm not sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I wonder if there are some serious drawbacks to Smitty's power.

For example, he puts his ipod on shuffle, and it plays all the tracks in order.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I think the actual hyperinflation that happened in the 1930s might have had more influence than one single episode of some Disney cartoon.

Is this thread still about Gunnerkrigg Court by the way? I'm not sure.

Deflation happened in the 30s. Hyperinflation did not.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Wittgen posted:

I wonder if there are some serious drawbacks to Smitty's power.

For example, he puts his ipod on shuffle, and it plays all the tracks in order.

His dice rolls in boardgames always come up exactly the same way.

He can't deal poker, because if he shuffles the cards they end up as though he'd just taken them out of a fresh pack.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

He's one mean player at snooker, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Deflation happened in the 30s. Hyperinflation did not.

Hyperinflation was the 20s, as part of the aftermath of WW1. Close enough.

I wonder if Smitty's power would allow him to fortuitously find a game that his powers would not affect.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tenebrais posted:

Hyperinflation was the 20s, as part of the aftermath of WW1. Close enough.

I wonder if Smitty's power would allow him to fortuitously find a game that his powers would not affect.

I imagine he could play chess or go without much fuss, since they don't depend on chance.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
That chickcharney should join Mort, Robot and Shadow-2 to form team cute friendship.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Oh, so since 2008 we actually had hyperinflation like your half hour Disney cartoon told you we would, instead of deflation followed by an extended period where the velocity of money has been in the toilet?

Trying to be all :smug: "My 90s cartoon was totally right and your tablet dropped an apostrophe" doesn't really work when reality shows the layman's oversimplification of economics it and other pulp sources push is completely wrong.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

:thejoke:

Ah, weekends. I have come to hate them because it means two days between updates instead of one. Gunnerkrigg is just that addictive.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, so since 2008 we actually had hyperinflation like your half hour Disney cartoon told you we would, instead of deflation followed by an extended period where the velocity of money has been in the toilet?
Except that the episode wasn't about the housing crash (for one thing, there was no massive paper asset devaluation in it, which would reduce the total money supply and inflationary pressure), so I'm not sure what your point is. Hyperinflation is a real thing, as was seen most notably in Weimar Germany and more recently in Zimbabwe, which resulted in denominations of money advertised as novelty items on this very site.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Except that the episode wasn't about the housing crash (for one thing, there was no massive paper asset devaluation in it, which would reduce the total money supply and inflationary pressure), so I'm not sure what your point is. Hyperinflation is a real thing, as was seen most notably in Weimar Germany and more recently in Zimbabwe, which resulted in denominations of money advertised as novelty items on this very site.
I'm not denying that inflation and hyperinflation are real phenomena. I'm denying that an after school cartoon is an acceptable source of an education.

The episode was about hyperinflation due to the massive influx of bottle caps. If you believe the lesson from the show, that inflation is nothing more than "oh no, now there are more dollars!", then the conclusion to draw from the stimulus and quantitative easing going to trigger hyperinflation is that there should have been hyperinflation. And indeed, a lot of idiots did and continue to think that. Except we instead saw deflation and haven't seen any noticeable inflation since. Which makes perfect sense when you understand economics and consider the larger picture, but not if you draw upon the dumb-ed down drivel that is pushed in pulp sources. After all things are more complicated than you can pack in to an Intro to Macroeconomics course, much less 30 minutes of selling a theme park, toys, and high fructose corn syrup.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway, if Smitty handled the currency system, there would have been no crisis.

If, however, Coyote handled the currency system....

I wonder if Gillite wood's economy uses barter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Dammit Jack what did you do