Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I took this on my honeymoon back in December on a train between Minneapolis and Portland. We were going through a pitch black tunnel, with the only light present being that coming from her iPad. I had the camera an Auto because I was a babby that hadn't read Understanding Exposure yet, but I pointed the camera in her direction and this is what I got:

I guess my point is that the D5100 has pretty awesome low light performance.

E: Just checked, according to EXIF that's only ISO 6400, lol. At HI2 or HI3 you'd be blinded based on the glare from the tunnel wall.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

FistLips posted:

My brother has one of these: http://forum.mflenses.com/panagor-auto-wide-angle-f2-35mm-t41867.html

Will this mount to my D7000? Do I need an adapter?

Edit: looks like I need an M42 -> nikon f adapter. Are there any good/bad to watch out for?

You may find that the lens no longer focuses to infinity when mounted with an adapter. M42 camera bodies have the lens mount closer to the imaging plane than Nikon F-mounts do, so adapting one of these onto a Nikon is a bit like adding a very short extension tube. As a result, there are two types of M42->Nikon adapters:
  • Type one is just a mechanical adapter. Advantage is that there are no additional optical elements added to the light path. Disadvantage is the infinity focus thing.
  • Type two has a lens in it that's supposed to compensate for the difference in register distance. In practice, these are usually just single elements that add aberrations into the image, although how much of a problem this is depends on the lens design / usage / your expectations.
I've used both types, and they do the job. I prefer the silver adapters (aluminium?) because they seem to be more solid, but the black-coated mystery metal ones have never been a problem for me either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

In all honesty you will be best off just going out and buying yourself an equivalent Nikon lens. You'll spend $20 for the adapter, bare minimum, and it won't give you infinity focus. You can find lots of off-brand Nikon-mount lenses cheap if you look around.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Not sure how but my 50mm took a hit to the thread :( Anyone know the cost of repairs or if it's even worth fixing?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Ashex posted:

Not sure how but my 50mm took a hit to the thread :( Anyone know the cost of repairs or if it's even worth fixing?

It's all over. Time to switch to Canon :v:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

krooj posted:

It's all over. Time to switch to Canon :v:

Screw that, I'm getting a 4/3.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Thanks, guys! That was more or less what I was afraid of. Think I'll just see if I can find a regular modern version that fits :)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ashex posted:

It'll be cheaper to buy a new one, especially if you buy used.

Or just live with it. I have a 50 that is cracked worse than that; takes some effort to get a filter on, but it's okay.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd just dremel off that section if you ever need to mount a filter.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I took this on my honeymoon back in December on a train between Minneapolis and Portland. We were going through a pitch black tunnel, with the only light present being that coming from her iPad. I had the camera an Auto because I was a babby that hadn't read Understanding Exposure yet, but I pointed the camera in her direction and this is what I got:

I guess my point is that the D5100 has pretty awesome low light performance.

E: Just checked, according to EXIF that's only ISO 6400, lol. At HI2 or HI3 you'd be blinded based on the glare from the tunnel wall.

Or maybe you only perceived the tunnel as pitch black as your eyes haven't adjusted to it yet.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Would I be correct in assuming this is not worth the money to get repaired?

Krelas fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Krelas posted:

You are correct. Sell it as parts camera, buy used/refurb upgrade. Nikons refurb store has a ton of good deals right now. Or better yet, just use your Super ME PENTAX!

Musket fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 26, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Krelas posted:

drat, that's gnarly. Is it functional at all apart from the flash?

p.s. nice pentax

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Yeah the camera still works surprisingly enough. I think I'm going to pick up a D7000, they're such good value right now.

Story for those that are interested:
I was at a dance party on a portable stage and I went to walk off the stage at the back. The stage however, wasn't symmetrical and where I had assumed it extended out, there was nothing and so I free fell onto the camera and my face. There was a speedlite mounted, so it was pushed horizontal when I landed on top of the camera and took the hot shoe and popup flash with it. Fortunately enough, I'm fine, the lens is fine and the speedlite is fine, mounting a flash again isn't going to happen though.

Also I didn't have it insured, that's something I'm going to do from now on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Krelas posted:

Yeah the camera still works surprisingly enough. I think I'm going to pick up a D7000, they're such good value right now.

Story for those that are interested:
I was at a dance party on a portable stage and I went to walk off the stage at the back. The stage however, wasn't symmetrical and where I had assumed it extended out, there was nothing and so I free fell onto the camera and my face. There was a speedlite mounted, so it was pushed horizontal when I landed on top of the camera and took the hot shoe and popup flash with it. Fortunately enough, I'm fine, the lens is fine and the speedlite is fine, mounting a flash again isn't going to happen though.

Also I didn't have it insured, that's something I'm going to do from now on.

Anyone who smugposts about Sony's dumbass hotshoe design gets a six-hour.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Anyone who smugposts about Sony's dumbass hotshoe design gets a six-hour.

Have to admit his camera would be safe though - he wouldn't have ever been able to find any flashes to put on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So basically Nikon said "Hey you know how Pentax makes those awesome colourful cameras??"

And then they said "Hey you know how Apple makes those commercials??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvCjI5ZTNJ0

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Martytoof posted:

So basically Nikon said "Hey you know how Pentax makes those awesome colourful cameras??"

I'm the really discordant black parts.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Martytoof posted:

I like how 5 seconds in when he raises the camera, the image on the LCD just stays the same.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Kazy posted:

I like how 5 seconds in when he raises the camera, the image on the LCD just stays the same.

Because he had it in [P]ro-mode. Duh.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I seem to have lost the charger for my D40, and while I've been considering getting a newer/less poo poo Nikon DSLR for a while now it's probably not happening right away.
What kind of charger should I get? Supposedly 3rd-party ones should be just fine, any in particular I should look for? I also recently spotted a "one size fits all" kind of charger in a local store, has anyone tried such a thing?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

I seem to have lost the charger for my D40, and while I've been considering getting a newer/less poo poo Nikon DSLR for a while now it's probably not happening right away.
What kind of charger should I get? Supposedly 3rd-party ones should be just fine, any in particular I should look for? I also recently spotted a "one size fits all" kind of charger in a local store, has anyone tried such a thing?

I got a 3rd party charger from Gadget Infinity and I've had no problems with it, for all of ten bucks.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I got a 3rd party charger from Gadget Infinity and I've had no problems with it, for all of ten bucks.

Ive also bought plenty of aftermarket nikon chargers. Power 2000 makes good ones.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Ive also bought plenty of aftermarket nikon chargers. Power 2000 makes good ones.

Mine said "Kingma" and had a tiny sorta Norse looking viking dude on it, so if you want viking power, order from gadgetinfinity I guess.

(Bear in mind mine is charger for EN-EL3e, I don't know what the Christ D40s use, but I'm sure they have a charger for it.)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Mine said "Kingma" and had a tiny sorta Norse looking viking dude on it, so if you want viking power, order from gadgetinfinity I guess.

(Bear in mind mine is charger for EN-EL3e, I don't know what the Christ D40s use, but I'm sure they have a charger for it.)

If Krock had his way the D40 would have been teh last dslr ever made and would have been powered by god himself (with matching 18-200 and SB400, the ultimate kit).

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

My wife has a Nikon D3000 we bought about 2 years ago, and now my wife wants to advance in her photography, which means another lens is needed. What is a good lens for taking pictures of people at distances further than the stock lens will take? I would be comfortable with spending about $250.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For $250? Samyang’s 85 mm f/1.4. No autofocus, but you’re not going to do better on that budget.

†I don’t know about that lens in particular, but Samyang’s products are sold under a ridiculous number of brands, including Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Pro‐Optic, and Opteka.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

For $250? Samyang’s 85 mm f/1.4. No autofocus, but you’re not going to do better on that budget.

†I don’t know about that lens in particular, but Samyang’s products are sold under a ridiculous number of brands, including Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Pro‐Optic, and Opteka.

85mm is the stock lens that came with the camera. I'm thinking something that goes up to 200mm?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Protons posted:

85mm is the stock lens that came with the camera. I'm thinking something that goes up to 200mm?

Nothing autofocus at that price (that's any good at least). The closest you are gonna come to is the 180mm f/2.8 AIS or 80-200mm f/4 AIS, both of which I have heard good things about. I would also consider a 105mm f/2.5 because it's a legendary portraitmaker, can be had for under $200 and you don't need 200mm to photograph people.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The 55-200 is cheap enough, and if kit quality is fine, it'd get you the range you want.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

The need for this lens comes from my wife attending a graduation ceremony for her friends. She was seated in the middle of the auditorium and her stock lens couldn't focus on her friends that far away. The pictures turned out blurry and unfocused. What sort of lens should we get for taking pictures of people or things at slightly over average to medium ranges?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blurry is a question of technique, not equipment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Protons posted:

The need for this lens comes from my wife attending a graduation ceremony for her friends. She was seated in the middle of the auditorium and her stock lens couldn't focus on her friends that far away. The pictures turned out blurry and unfocused. What sort of lens should we get for taking pictures of people or things at slightly over average to medium ranges?

Depending on how well-lit auditoriums you expect to be shooting in, a regular kit-level zoom around 50-200mm range should be fine then. You shouldn't need any longer than 200mm for that use, at least. I also would wary of using a prime for that, since you may want to switch between close-ups of individuals and larger sections of the stage.
You should be able to find a 50-200, 55-200, 50-250 or such within your price range, perhaps used.

With kit zooms like that, you will typically get f/5.6 at the long end of the range, meaning you will need rather good ISO performance in poorly lit auditoriums. I'm not sure if D3000 is that well suited for low light.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The 55-200 VR is probably the only thing in your price range that's new and has autofocus. It will suck indoors, but you pretty much have to start spending thousands of dollars before you will be able to get a long lens that performs well indoors. Old, used manual focus lenses are cheaper, but on the D3000 you would have to meter manually as well. That's fine if you like challenging yourself and learning things, but really sucks if you just want some photos of your friends.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is the D3000 a lovely camera or something?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It can't drive the manual focus lenses very well, for that you have go to up to the D7000 or D7100, and you're looking at over $1000 to move into that.

No offense to your wife, but I'm guessing she's shooting in Auto mode?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Protons posted:

It's just an older consumer-grade camera. It doesn't have the electronics necessary to meter or drive the autofocus of pre-digital, older lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Protons posted:

No.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

It can't drive the manual focus lenses very well, for that you have go to up to the D7000 or D7100, and you're looking at over $1000 to move into that.

No offense to your wife, but I'm guessing she's shooting in Auto mode?

No. I made drat sure that if I was doing to drop $500 on a camera then she wasn't going to use point and shoot auto mode. I don't think she has a problem with manual focus, and might even prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Protons posted:

No. I made drat sure that if I was doing to drop $500 on a camera then she wasn't going to use point and shoot auto mode. I don't think she has a problem with manual focus, and might even prefer it.

Manual focus is not very fun with the small viewfinders of low-end models. It's doable when you have time to set up the shot, but it's not fun at all if you're shooting people.