Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Chexoid posted:

Literally the Only Way to kill Miranda is to have her be disloyal and bring her to fight the final boss. She will survive anything else.
Disloyal Miranda can also die while holding the line. If everyone else is loyal, she'll be first on the kill list.

Either way, if you want to kill Miranda, she has to be disloyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
And I think her loyalty mission is the very first one that pops up, and you have to do a certain number of missions before the Collector ship and Reaper IFF missions pop up - many people will end up doing her mission first giving her plot immunity in a ton of games.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I decided to start playing through ME 2 and 3 again, and am playing a Vanguard because it's the best class. (Adept is fun too.)

Man, do I miss Nova while playing ME2.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Miranda is just to good in ME2, but in ME3 I never used Ash/Vega

Ash is pretty good since they changed the tech explosion mechanics. Set whole crowds of people on fire with Inferno Grenade and then set off fire explosions on them. She also puts out quite a bit of DPS for a squadmate with Marksman + Disruptor Ammo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

1st AD posted:

And I think her loyalty mission is the very first one that pops up, and you have to do a certain number of missions before the Collector ship and Reaper IFF missions pop up - many people will end up doing her mission first giving her plot immunity in a ton of games.

Though, when she gets in a fight with Jack, isn't it possible to make her become disloyal by siding with Jack and not repudiating it, rather than talking them down?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yes, but I *think* you can talk to Miranda again and get her loyalty back with a paragon/renegade check.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Though, when she gets in a fight with Jack, isn't it possible to make her become disloyal by siding with Jack and not repudiating it, rather than talking them down?

That's exactly how I got Miranda killed my last playthrough of the series. She wouldn't sit her punk rear end down and listen to me, so she wasn't loyal, so she died. And I had no regrets.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Ash is pretty good since they changed the tech explosion mechanics. Set whole crowds of people on fire with Inferno Grenade and then set off fire explosions on them. She also puts out quite a bit of DPS for a squadmate with Marksman + Disruptor Ammo.

Marksman is bugged as of lat patch, she'll just turn it off and on repeatedly for no good reason.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I never even used Marksman, just spec'd her out of it. Her powers make her a tech bursting machine - Inferno Grenade, Disruptor Ammo, and Concussive Shot are great since they give you lots of options to prime and detonate. especially if you have Chain Overload.

EDI and Ashley make for a particularly nasty all-tech team.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

1st AD posted:

I never even used Marksman, just spec'd her out of it. Her powers make her a tech bursting machine - Inferno Grenade, Disruptor Ammo, and Concussive Shot are great since they give you lots of options to prime and detonate. especially if you have Chain Overload.

EDI and Ashley make for a particularly nasty all-tech team.

I used Ashley and Garrus a lot in my last run and it was a really effective tech/combat combination.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It doesn't help you now, but sending her into the vents or using her as a biotic barrier in the seeker swarm section would have done it, I think.

Been mentioned already, but yeah, if you pick a wrong / disloyal person for the biotic barrier, it'll always be one of the other two squadmates who gets dragged off I think, never the barrier person themselves.

With regards to Miranda though, hilariously, I think someone here (well, back in the ME2 thread) mentioned that they used either Jacob or a disloyal Jack / Samara for the bubble, with (disloyal) Miranda as one of the other two squadmates, then in the cutscene, Miranda got dragged off by the seeker swarms, and then in the next scene she just showed up again as if nothing had happened :v:

It was clearly a bug but it's funny what with how notoriously difficult it is to get her killed otherwise.

As people mentioned, the only way to get her killed is to bring her along for the babby Reaper fight when she's disloyal, or during the Hold the Line sequence, and given the mechanics of the latter, it's pretty drat impossible to selectively get just her killed there.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

professor muthafukkah posted:

Yes, this. I have been playing through the trilogy and just reached ME3. During ME2 I could maybe justify using Miranda, but... Vega?? Useless.

Vega is a nice guy and he has some good unique dialogue in missions. His powers are kind of meh but it makes a fun melee-oriented playthrough if you take him on most missions. Seeing as I've done a lot of other gimmick run throughs of ME3, that had to be my favourite one.

edit: also, he's the only one in the squad who wants to fight Wrex for fun, which means he gets a place on all the Wrex-oriented missions.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh, nice. That might be worth missing a couple Paragon points for - my Shep's the peacemaker who's all, "Guys, guys. We're all unique with our own special talents and contributions to the team."

lenoon posted:

Vega is a nice guy and he has some good unique dialogue in missions. His powers are kind of meh but it makes a fun melee-oriented playthrough if you take him on most missions. Seeing as I've done a lot of other gimmick run throughs of ME3, that had to be my favourite one.

edit: also, he's the only one in the squad who wants to fight Wrex for fun, which means he gets a place on all the Wrex-oriented missions.

I have one friend who actually likes Vega, making him and me (I thought) like the only two people who think he's alright. I don't optimize much in terms of squadmate abilities - then again, I'm playing on Normal (or Easy if I just want to get to the next story bit). But unlike all the other humans, Vega's just a dude who happens to be on the Normandy with all these aliens, or other whiny humans with dumb agendas. So it's fun to see his dialogue when he's paired up with Shep and some badass alien.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Soldier Shep, Vega and Kaidan are a pretty beastly team on Insanity I found. M-99 Sabers. No mercy.

But then what wouldn't be? Game has too many ways to break it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

morcant posted:

I have one friend who actually likes Vega, making him and me (I thought) like the only two people who think he's alright. I don't optimize much in terms of squadmate abilities - then again, I'm playing on Normal (or Easy if I just want to get to the next story bit). But unlike all the other humans, Vega's just a dude who happens to be on the Normandy with all these aliens, or other whiny humans with dumb agendas. So it's fun to see his dialogue when he's paired up with Shep and some badass alien.

It helps that he's supposed to be the standard Bioware opening male soldier who is supposed to be the straight man, but unlike Carth and Alastair he doesn't have psychological issues, and unlike Jacob and Kaiden he's actually fun to talk to. Jacob just bored me to death, but James is actually pretty funny at times.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

It helps that he's supposed to be the standard Bioware opening male soldier who is supposed to be the straight man, but unlike Carth and Alastair he doesn't have psychological issues, and unlike Jacob and Kaiden he's actually fun to talk to. Jacob just bored me to death, but James is actually pretty funny at times.

Yeah, I feel like if he'd been in the game from the start and been given more time to develop a character, he could have even approached Garrus levels of bro-ability, he's alright.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I feel like if he'd been in the game from the start and been given more time to develop a character, he could have even approached Garrus levels of bro-ability, he's alright.

He's also one of the few characters that doesn't exist in isolation (apart from the odd interaction in other areas of the ship) - he's constantly having a bit of conversation with cortez, which produces some of the best bits of comedy in Me3 -

"should have figured you'd like bears"

"...huh?"

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I read on the Mass Effect Wiki that James is there for players who are just coming into the series on ME3, which strikes me as a weird thing for someone to do, but I guess it happens?

But there is that prequel movie, Paragon Lost. I kinda want to watch it, but I can't get past how :pwn: the characters look, particularly James.

Has anyone seen it, and is it worth seeing? Either way, here's a trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3KPFrrxfI

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

morcant posted:

I think I read on the Mass Effect Wiki that James is there for players who are just coming into the series on ME3, which strikes me as a weird thing for someone to do, but I guess it happens?

But there is that prequel movie, Paragon Lost. I kinda want to watch it, but I can't get past how :pwn: the characters look, particularly James.

I believe James is so you can't screw yourself out of getting a decent amount of squad members? No idea what a default non-import ME3 playthrough is like but isn't it possible not to have Tali and Garrus? Liara will be around though, now that's someone with severe plot immunity.

Maybe James is also to help populate your team in case you got everyone killed in ME2.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

morcant posted:

I think the consensus from those who've seen it is that it's pretty unequivocally terrible :I

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Ineffiable posted:

I believe James is so you can't screw yourself out of getting a decent amount of squad members? No idea what a default non-import ME3 playthrough is like but isn't it possible not to have Tali and Garrus? Liara will be around though, now that's someone with severe plot immunity.

Maybe James is also to help populate your team in case you got everyone killed in ME2.

Yeah, that's probably it. No matter what, you'll always have Liara (biotic), EDI (tech), and James (soldier). So I guess they wanted everyone to have a relatively diverse, "balanced" team. Note that even if they hadn't given you the chance to kill the VS, everyone was going to have either Kaiden (tech/biotic) or Ashley (soldier) dead.

Also, the writers have mentioned that James was used to ask questions that new players might have. For instance, on Palaven's moon he asks Garrus about the genophage.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

I think the consensus from those who've seen it is that it's pretty unequivocally terrible :I

That's what I was afraid of. :( I have a pretty high tolerance for bullshit if it's based on a series I like or has an actor I enjoy in it, but it's telling when I can't even get through the trailer.

I read some of the comics and they weren't...terrible, but drat I forget why I don't like that brand of art so well. ME does a better job than most in making people actually look like people, though I'd forgotten about Benezia in ME1 having huge boobs and a dress that covered everything but that. :cripes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Paragon Lost:

Good: Backgrounds, CGI, End "choice."

Bad: Heros like look very poorly done anime (like most anime.) The baddies look like crap you'd see on a Saturday morning, sell toys tv show. The dialog and plot up till the "choice."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

professor muthafukkah posted:

Am I the only one that tries to never use human allies? They're just so boring. Does that make me racist?
The applicable term here is misanthropist. :eng101:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

morcant posted:

It's bad and the opening is super misogynistic and homophobic.

Also none of Vega's charm in the game makes it into this anime. He acts like a typical anime protagonist who can't score with the girls.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

1st AD posted:

It's bad and the opening is super misogynistic and homophobic.

Also none of Vega's charm in the game makes it into this anime. He acts like a typical anime protagonist who can't score with the girls.

Are you serious? I thought the ME writers did the story. Bad art I can understand, but ... Really? :(

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I was going to buy Mass Effect 3 for the PC even though I have it for PS3, just so I could mess around with more stuff. Didn't realize I had to use Origin to purchase the game, which doesn't allow me to view the US store (I am a US citizen living in Germany because of military duties.) Either my US bank or the Euro websites always flip poo poo and decline purchases until I spend an hour or so with customer support, so that completely shot that idea out of the park. Thanks EA for saving me $10!

I am not going to use a VPN just to purchase this dumb game. At least Steam customer support gave me a way to very simply access the US store from Germany. Origin customer support just suggested I use a browser that will translate. gently caress off.

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

I find Paragon Lost makes much more sense if you imagine it as an in-universe biopic of Vega.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing to keep in mind about ME3: no matter how cheaply you purchase the main game, you still have to pay around $50 or so to get the DLC, and you need the DLC.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing to keep in mind about ME3: no matter how cheaply you purchase the main game, you still have to pay around $50 or so to get the DLC, and you need the DLC.

Or you can just not throw more money at EA / Bioware for ridiculously overpriced DLC considering it doesn't exactly salvage the game anyway!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What? You don't need any DLC. Unless you're talking about multiplayer stuff, but that's free...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What? You don't need any DLC. Unless you're talking about multiplayer stuff, but that's free...

I would argue that if you've been involved in ME since 1, Citadel and the one with the Ocean were both really good additions.

The one where you fight back for Omega was not really relevant, and I don;t remember anything from it. Fallen Ashes was a dlc that SHOULD have been amazing, but it just ended up being meh.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I've just finished ME1 having bought Bring Down the Sky, had a whale of a time. Currently playing ME2 and bought that last gameplay DLC I didn't own (Overlord) and am having a whale of a time.

All this whaling (oh poo poo Greenpeace) is making me want to get the ME3 DLC when I get there, but I'm pretty certain common sense will prevail and I won't chuck down £17 on the two DLC's I might like (gently caress Aria) when I don't know if I'll finish the game in a better mood than I did the first time a year ago. Someone said the other DLC had been on offer though so maybe I'll just cross my fingers and hope for a price reduction at some point.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

I still think Leviathan improves the ending a bit if played before the ending (then again, I didn't see the ending at all before Leviathan, or without the Extended Cut, bonuses of being 6 years late to the ME party), and Citadel... Well, it was fun. I've been following Archer Shepard on Twitter, and someone said that Citadel was like an episode of Archer, which I can get behind.

I recently did a tally of all the DLC I want to get to round out my second playthrough, and it added up to $52. :( For three games, that's not terrible but it still seems like a lot, especially since it never goes on sale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You absolutely need From Ashes. If you don't have it, you aren't playing ME3. You are playing ME3 lite. You need Citadel because it is the best thing in the series. You need Leviathan because it is such a crucial part of the story. Omega is the only piece that isn't a major part of the story.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That would be a compelling argument if the story was actually any good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

You absolutely need From Ashes. If you don't have it, you aren't playing ME3.

What does that even mean?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

It means that From Ashes contains the main non-Shephard character. Javik should have been part of the main game and it is BS that they charged for him, but it is what it is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Drifter posted:

Javik does give some important info, I guess. Though he isn't really mandatory, most of what he gives is fluff. Which is nice, just not have to have. Really none of the DLC is all that needed, maybe Leviathan to clear up some of the confusing bits about the Reaper backstory, but that is it. Omega has nothing to do with anything, the Citadel is just a way to play will the whole party one last time, and From Ashes is only important if you really care about the Protheons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

It means that From Ashes contains the main non-Shephard character. Javik should have been part of the main game and it is BS that they charged for him, but it is what it is.

Javik as written doesn't make any difference. He's literally just a grumpy alien who's spouting off random poo poo about survival of the fittest, and I aside from the one time on the Asari planet, doesn't really add to the story beyond what's been already known or explained. Don't mistake the character or DLC as something that could have been, instead of what it is.

leviathan at least made up new stuff to explain, or added depth beyond fluff to what was already there.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 26, 2013

• Locked thread