Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Welp, better go tell all those publishers that charging $60 for 4-6 hour games for the past six years has been a mistake. Surely no one would buy a game like that.

You might notice that there's been a severe decline in game sales industry wide that has accompanied this trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Super Mario World on the GamePad is bliss. And being on the Wii U going out to an LCD flat screen the game looks so good. Can't wait for more games to come out. Also wow, Ice Climber is very...picky with its edges...

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Have there actually been any successful $60, 6 hour single player games? Not stuff like Call of Duty that has a focus on multiplayer, just a short rear end single player only game that sold well.

Not being snarky, I'm honestly curious and can't remember any off the top of my head.

MykonosFan posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance can have about that length, if you wanna consider it successful (I do, thinking critically and with factoring my own enjoyment of the game in).

Revengeance took me a little longer than that, but fair enough. Sadly, as much as I love it, it didn't sell that well :smith:

e: Also it had stuff like the VR missions to pad the length out.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 26, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Crowbear posted:

Have there actually been any successful $60, 6 hour single player games? Not stuff like Call of Duty that has a focus on multiplayer, just a short rear end single player only game that sold well.

Not being snarky, I'm honestly curious and can't remember any off the top of my head.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance can have about that length, if you wanna consider it successful (I do, thinking critically and with factoring my own enjoyment of the game in).

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

By the way I took that the 100 second limit as being there to make the levels harder and to match how concentrated the stuff that can kill you is... rather than just short levels that you can breeze through.

Crowbear posted:

Aren't the uncharted games super short?

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 26, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Random Stranger posted:

You might notice that there's been a severe decline in game sales industry wide that has accompanied this trend.

There were short games for the duration of the generation no matter what sales were like, but please post some actual proof that short games have had anything to do with declining game sales opposed to a correlation with outside industry variables like general consumer confidence or economic recession, or even inside industry problems like a never-ending generation cycle, franchise fatigue or actual quality of the content itself.

Saying short games are the cause of low sales is absurd. Some of the biggest selling games and franchises are the short ones I'm referring to.

Literally none of this matters because nobody even knows how much the DLC will cost, and we'll all see how well it sells soon enough anyway.

e: Also who the hell cares how short a $60 game is if that game is a loving blast? New Super Mario Bros. U didn't take long at all to beat (about six hours, actually, :v:), but I still have over 12 hours played, and I'm still not done yet. I know I'll play the Luigi DLC more than just beating the levels once and putting it down.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 26, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Long John Power posted:

By the way I took that the 100 second limit as being there to make the levels harder and to match how concentrated the stuff that can kill you is... rather than just short levels that you can breeze through.

That's how I'm seeing it. Considering that Luigi is supposed to play similar to his Lost Levels version with slippery controls, I'm leaning towards the game being a speed run challenge. Which is great by me, gimme that challenge.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Probably Assassin's Creed. My nephew buzzes through those games pretty quick. I think he got one of them for Christmas Eve, beat it before Christmas Day and was trading it into GameStop on Boxing Day.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crowbear posted:

What do you consider selling well? The original Bioshock sold well and took about 6 hours to beat, and I heard its sequel isn't doing so bad out the gate and is supposed to be of similar length. HL2 was $55 and took around 8. Star Fox was released in a player's choice for about $35 for 3 hours and its MSRP was I think $50-- a lot of N64 games were really expensive at release actually, $60 wasn't uncommon.

It's not really a new trend or console only issue, as you can see, to pay $60 for a game that'll take 6 hours to beat.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Long John Power posted:

Aren't the uncharted games super short?

Yeah but they're 10-12 hours short, not 6 hours short. Also 2 and 3 have (pretty good) multiplayer.

Long John Power posted:

I would be into that. If it were a good bit harder than the original game I might re-buy a cheap copy just to get the DLC.

Soul Glo posted:

Literally none of this matters because nobody even knows how much the DLC will cost, and we'll all see how well it sells soon enough anyway.

Yeah, just debating about a hypothetical here. No harm done :)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

What do you consider selling well? The original Bioshock sold well and took about 6 hours to beat, and I heard its sequel isn't doing so bad out the gate and is supposed to be of similar length. HL2 was $55 and took around 8. Star Fox was released in a player's choice for about $35 for 3 hours and its MSRP was I think $50-- a lot of N64 games were really expensive at release actually, $60 wasn't uncommon.

It's not really a new trend or console only issue, as you can see, to pay $60 for a game that'll take 6 hours to beat.

The price of games has not gone up with inflation and it's a problem industry wide. I understand the complaints on virtual console games being expensive but $59.99 is less than what these games should be going for. Which is why it's going to be interesting if the rumours are true and PS4 games will be going for $99.99

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Probably Assassin's Creed. My nephew buzzes through those games pretty quick. I think he got one of them for Christmas Eve, beat it before Christmas Day and was trading it into GameStop on Boxing Day.

Even just mainlining the story in the Assassin's Creed games takes 15+ hours.

Chronojam posted:

Just going off http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=61 (no idea how accurate it is, I never played it) Bioshock 1 is over 10 hours, and Infinite took me around 12 to beat.

This might be getting kind of off topic :ninja:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 26, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The price of games has not gone up with inflation and it's a problem industry wide. I understand the complaints on virtual console games being expensive but $59.99 is less than what these games should be going for. Which is why it's going to be interesting if the rumours are true and PS4 games will be going for $99.99

No way this is going to happen. I don't even think $70 is realistic. If the inflation thing is truly a big concern then it is far more likely that we will see AAA games with smaller budgets than they had this past generation. The bottom line is that too many consumers already consider that $60 price tag to be expensive or at least would view anything more than that as being a big turn off. This is especially true now that there are so many cheap and F2P games out there. Another change in consumer buying behavior is that if the prices go up then people will be far less inclined and even be able to take risks with their purchases. They will stick with titles which they know that they will enjoy more than they do already which will result in a revenue/profit decline over all.

Inflation might be rising but disposable income most certainly is not and costs tend to be going up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
By the way, it's kind of flying under the radar but Nintendo indicated that Mario Kart for the Wii U will be coming out this year: http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/mario-kart-wii-u-this-year/

That's pretty big.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If PS4 games go to $100 a pop, you are very quickly going to see console gaming put on life support. I think the $100 figure was confirmed as an Amazon placeholder.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Even some NES and SNES games were $70.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Super Mario RPG was like $90 I thought.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I got my $1.50 Mario (due to already having it on the Wii). It automatically gave me the discount, no problem.

How far in did it let you know about the discount? I forget if I bought it for the Wii and don't want to go through the purchasing process to find out.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Games don't cost enough" should not be a problem if the industry was smart enough to appeal to wider audiences and not let budgets get as out of control as they have. For the most part Nintendo's actually good at that, WiiU advertising aside.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

By the way, it's kind of flying under the radar but Nintendo indicated that Mario Kart for the Wii U will be coming out this year: http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/mario-kart-wii-u-this-year/

That's pretty big.

Well, at least one of the big franchises is coming out this holiday and Mario Kart was always the most likely to be done. It'll be interesting to see if that "Super Mario Bros" is the Luigi DLC or if the 3D Mario will be out this year too. That'd be :coal:

bloodysabbath posted:

If PS4 games go to $100 a pop, you are very quickly going to see console gaming put on life support. I think the $100 figure was confirmed as an Amazon placeholder.

Yeah Amazon always set the placeholders high so they don't underestimate and then have to fulfill the order at a lower price.

I could see $70 MAYBE, higher than that is out of the question and I think for most games it'll stay at $60.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's pretty big.

I'm cool with this. I'm going to guess it'll come out sometime near Christmas.

I hope the gamepad has something cool beyond just a speedometer and a button to boost.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

No way this is going to happen. I don't even think $70 is realistic. If the inflation thing is truly a big concern then it is far more likely that we will see AAA games with smaller budgets than they had this past generation. The bottom line is that too many consumers already consider that $60 price tag to be expensive or at least would view anything more than that as being a big turn off. This is especially true now that there are so many cheap and F2P games out there. Another change in consumer buying behavior is that if the prices go up then people will be far less inclined and even be able to take risks with their purchases. They will stick with titles which they know that they will enjoy more than they do already which will result in a revenue/profit decline over all.

Inflation might be rising but disposable income most certainly is not and costs tend to be going up.

But here's the problem: the market wants better graphics and presentation. But they want to pay $20 less for games than what they paid 20 years ago. That's an unsafe market and I don't see EA or Activision just cutting back.

Pilotwings 64 in 1996 cost $59.99 which today is $86.67 US. I highly doubt Pilotwings 64 cost as much to make as current games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Louisgod posted:

How far in did it let you know about the discount? I forget if I bought it for the Wii and don't want to go through the purchasing process to find out.

Can't you just check the Wii?

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Chronojam posted:

Even some NES and SNES games were $70.

It was even worse up here in Canada. Some of the later SNES Squaresoft RPGs (FFVI/Chrono Trigger) originally retailed for $119.99. I cannot tell you how relieved my mother was to be able to start buying her stupid sons cheap-rear end PS1 games instead.

<3 u mom idk why u even put up with my bullshit

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm cool with this. I'm going to guess it'll come out sometime near Christmas.

I hope the gamepad has something cool beyond just a speedometer and a button to boost.

I feel like there's not a whole lot they can do with the Gamepad since only one player will have it during local multiplayer.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

KimT posted:

I feel like there's not a whole lot they can do with the Gamepad since only one player will have it during local multiplayer.

Also you probably don't want to be looking away from the TV during a race, so it's not like they can put anything important on the touchscreen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAD4UV50y7NKnw

Awesome, I didn't realize linking individual Miiverse posts would work til I saw this on twitter. Of course that would work!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

KimT posted:

It should be a rear view mirror :getin:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But here's the problem: the market wants better graphics and presentation. But they want to pay $20 less for games than what they paid 20 years ago. That's an unsafe market and I don't see EA or Activision just cutting back.

Pilotwings 64 in 1996 cost $59.99 which today is $86.67 US. I highly doubt Pilotwings 64 cost as much to make as current games.

Call of Duty sells more in its first week than Nintendo sold N64 consoles, I'd bet. The size of the market is what matters, much more than individual game costs or budgets; that all just becomes Darwinian.

I'm upset that games cost more than 50$ now and reversed the trend, but if they don't hold, that's fine too. They're becoming cheap so much faster now, you can still feel like a relevant gamer without murdering your pocket change.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VarrosAnon posted:

Call of Duty sells more in its first week than Nintendo sold N64 consoles, I'd bet. The size of the market is what matters, much more than individual game costs or budgets; that all just becomes Darwinian.

I'm upset that games cost more than 50$ now and reversed the trend, but if they don't hold, that's fine too. They're becoming cheap so much faster now, you can still feel like a relevant gamer without murdering your pocket change.

I sound like a whiny old oval office about it but gaming has always been expensive and that's why we had game stores and movie stores to rent from. I owned maybe 15, 20 games total for my Super Nintendo and most of that was due to buying used games in the mid 90s. But I played over 200 SNES games because my family went to the Video Movie Shop every weekend and picked up two movies and a game. The current system of picking up games at full price and then trading them to GameStop at half price to pick up new games? Way too much money. My parents would have never supported my gaming habit at that price. But $5 for a three day rental? Totally.

I personally stopped renting at Blockbuster when it cost over $10 to rent a Gamecube game. I don't know if that was just a Canadian thing or not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

VarrosAnon posted:

I think the Nintendo 64 did between forty and fifty million. Call of Duty do between twenty and thirty, but certainly not all during the first week.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chronojam posted:

Can't you just check the Wii?

I had to buy a new one and never bothered setting up the Virtual Console again, and now the console's in a box so I was hoping it'd synch up with my Nintendo account and be smart enough to let me know I can get it discounted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Haha, them actually doing something useful with the Club Nintendo account, good joke. No, the discount only applies if you have previously transferred your Wii Shop 'account' from the Wii to the WiiU using the transfer tool.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Louisgod posted:

Sorry for the lovely picture, but it shows in the actual list if you've got your wii data registered to the device.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes, but we don't know how much the new engines will mitigate this issue. If I were a big publisher I would be very interested to learn how far we could push things like graphics without spending more than I did last generation as well as options which include a graphics improvement but cost less than last gen. If the new engines don't mitigate this problem at all though then well...what it will mean is that we will see less AAA titles I guess. In particular we will see less risky AAA titles.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

greatn posted:

I think the Nintendo 64 did between forty and fifty million. Call of Duty do between twenty and thirty, but certainly not all during the first week.

It was a super exaggerated estimate, but yeah, it's still absolutely insane how large the market has gotten.

For trivia, the N64 sold 32m worldwide, and MW3 is estimated to have sold about 30m. Jeeze.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

If the new engines don't mitigate this problem at all though then well...what it will mean is that we will see less AAA titles I guess. In particular we will see less risky AAA titles.

I have a lot less faith in game companies than you do. The obsession to provide one type of game (FPS) at one type of production (AAA) is rampant throughout the whole industry. I think companies will go out of business before playing it smart. There's a lot more Denis Dyack's than you might imagine.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

N64 sold a little bit more than 30 million. A lot of people remember the Gamecube as the flop (21 million units :stonk:), but the N64 did pretty bad too.

VarrosAnon posted:

It was a super exaggerated estimate, but yeah, it's still absolutely insane how large the market has gotten.

For trivia, the N64 sold 32m worldwide, and MW3 is estimated to have sold about 30m. Jeeze.

Software sales have gotten more topheavy for sure, but back in that same era the PS1 sold more than 100 million units and no console is ever going to catch the PS2's 150 million sold. More hardware is being sold now overall, but it's not THAT huge increase and it's just more evenly split.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Rayman Legends Challenge App is worth checking out it. It's pretty much the demo from the Wii U kiosk plus daily/weekly challenges. Still love to play the Castle Rock level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

It was right there on the page when I searched for it. It had the normal price crossed out with $1.50 right below it. Super obvious!

What wasn't super obvious was how to find it in the first place. There isn't a Virtual Console category anywhere on the eShop?

• Locked thread