Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Everyone with a halfway serious :retrogames: addiction should be an eBay pro by this point and have whatever system works for them to get games at decent discounts. I'd suggest keeping a .doc of game averages and lows combined with a sniping service (gixen.com works well for me) to set up bids at lower than average prices... essentially you set it and forget it so you're never in a situation where you're bidding more than you should be.

Oh hell that is awesome. How did I not know about this before! And no I am not an ebay pro. I honestly hate using cause I tend to get "hooked" onto an item and spend more than I should. Probably why my collection is so small. I mostly retro hunt with pocket change. And then once in a while I find some decent craigslist offerings or a good deal up in SA mart.

I don't know, I think it just boils down to I like being able to touch/inspect items I buy personally before forking over what little cash I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Before I go spending more money than I should, anyone in here have a AGS-101 SP they are willing to sell for a decent price?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

it's... so pretty

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

:swoon: It's beautiful...

Please post pics once you get it hooked up!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone ever seen any prototype Gamecube controllers in the wild?

I picked up a set on ebay for around £10 years ago, I have just started sorting out my collection and found them.

I am guessing they may just be standard from a dev kit, they all have RJ45 jacks on and have various configurations of buttons, some missing a Z button and what not. Curious how much they may be worth now.

Here are some pictures anyway because they are p.interesting at least.

Comparison picture with the one that is closest to the finished product:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, you really did it. :stare:

That is a gorgeous console. So, so jealous.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Just a heads-up in case anyone was waiting on those combined Sega Genesis AC Adapters for pairing with the 32x and SegaCD, they're in stock now: http://www.retrogamecave.com/sega-ac_adapter.html

These guys also have assorted Turbo Grafx and PC Engine AC Adapters (e.g. you can get a proper PC Engine Duo-R AC Adapter).
Thank you so much for the heads up on this. I wish I could afford the M1 trio and M2 trio in anticipation of getting a model 1 Sega CD someday, but at least for now my system 2 monstrosity will no longer require the hilarious extension cord mess. Leaving three old-school transformers plugged in like that also wastes a sick amount of power when the systems are off.

:retrogames::respek::retrogames:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Long John Power posted:

Has anyone ever seen any prototype Gamecube controllers in the wild?

I picked up a set on ebay for around £10 years ago, I have just started sorting out my collection and found them.

I am guessing they may just be standard from a dev kit, they all have RJ45 jacks on and have various configurations of buttons, some missing a Z button and what not. Curious how much they may be worth now.

Here are some pictures anyway because they are p.interesting at least.

Comparison picture with the one that is closest to the finished product:

This is super neat. Did they come with a prototype or dev console?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got my trade from ACID POLICE today, my weekend is set!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

So I have no idea what I'm looking at here, what is the stylus and little window for?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
^^^^^^^^
Adding subtitles and whatever video effects to gameplay.

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

Put up a video of that thing in action. I've actually never seen it do anything.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

zenintrude posted:

This is super neat. Did they come with a prototype or dev console?

I wish! Unfortunately it was just a box full of controllers that I can only hold and never use.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I have no idea what I'm looking at here, what is the stylus and little window for?

You're looking at a Famicom Titler, but as for the stylus/touchpad, I have no idea what they're used for. Possibly moving graphics/text around the screen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Decided to get a Game Boy Micro. Does anyone have a spare EZ-Flash IV they wouldn't mind letting go of?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

^^^^^^^^
Adding subtitles and whatever video effects to gameplay.

Put up a video of that thing in action. I've actually never seen it do anything.

Still trying to figure out how to work the titler portion. The PPU is just like the ones people use to RGB mod regular nintendos, paperboy doesn't work + the other same-isms. Mario is orange instead of white w/ the fire flower etc

As for the titler portion the system has a switch on it you flip to go from famicom mode to titler mode much like the twin famicom's switch for FDS mode. The stylus recognition is god-awful with romanji but I guess that's expected. I'll get some higher res pics of it and some video on my capture card later in the weekend once I get all settled back in. From what I can see there's 3 areas in the screen you can write short messages. You use the stylus to write out characters and it tries to figure it out and draw it in the windows.

I was also kind of shocked, this titler still has the expansion port cover on it. Overall the system is in fantastic condition.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 26, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Long John Power posted:

I wish! Unfortunately it was just a box full of controllers that I can only hold and never use.

Yes, they are from the Dolphin dev kit. There are lots out there and seem pretty common in the community.

http://youtu.be/04uII-sb4cQ?t=9m56s

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

univbee posted:

Just a heads-up in case anyone was waiting on those combined Sega Genesis AC Adapters for pairing with the 32x and SegaCD, they're in stock now: http://www.retrogamecave.com/sega-ac_adapter.html

These guys also have assorted Turbo Grafx and PC Engine AC Adapters (e.g. you can get a proper PC Engine Duo-R AC Adapter).

Are these seriously sold out already?

_____!
May 2, 2004

What was the target market for the Titler? I can't really figure out if enough places back then needed to use video of Famicom games in addition to normal titling often enough to justify producing it.

Not that that takes away from how sweet it is, mind you. In good nick, too!

edit: I had only considered the possibilities of video and not stills, that makes sense.

_____! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 26, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

_____! posted:

What was the target market for the Titler? I can't really figure out if enough places back then needed to use video of Famicom games in addition to normal titling often enough to justify producing it.

Not that that takes away from how sweet it is, mind you. In good nick, too!

I'm thinking gaming mags back in the day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Decided to get a Game Boy Micro. Does anyone have a spare EZ-Flash IV they wouldn't mind letting go of?

Does anyone sell those new anymore? I have the old flashadvance cart for my GBASP that can only transfer games over a parallel port, bleh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone sell those new anymore? I have the old flashadvance cart for my GBASP that can only transfer games over a parallel port, bleh.

Production stopped on them a while ago and whatever stock there is now is dwindling.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at, it looked a lot like a really weird IP phone that took Famicom-like cartridges for some reason.

Like if they did a modern day Captain N and the N Team reboot, a Famicom Titler is what they would use as office phones in that universe.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

kynikos posted:

Are these seriously sold out already?
I ordered the M2-Trio just fine about 30 minutes ago. Are they out already? I was scared into action by the "done selling by Saturday, but first come first serve" so I impulse purchased. :ohdear:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at, it looked a lot like a really weird IP phone that took Famicom-like cartridges for some reason.

Like if they did a modern day Captain N and the N Team reboot, a Famicom Titler is what they would use as office phones in that universe.

I would god drat love an IP phone that took Famicom carts, it'd make the ungodly boring conference calls I get roped into much more fun. :v:

I mean I use my phone right now, but still.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

Oh god...

quote:

INTRODUCING THE SEGA X²
CDX+32X POWER SUPPLY

I got the stand alone CDX one a month or so ago... now I want this.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

You aren't seeing it in the UN2 SNES because those SNES systems give off a way blurrier picture, so it's just hiding it.

All of the scart cables I got from retro_console_accessories gave me the checkerboarding, which is why I actually sought out the Nintendo-brand SFC scart cables (which cost me a fortune). However, she later released SNES scart cables that were of higher quality (they had a grey cable instead of black, which is how you can tell them apart) and those did not have checkerboarding.

This post is from a while ago, but I thought I'd give a status update.

Retro started selling her cables again, so I bought another SNES scart cable with proper shielding. No checkerboarding on the N64 this time around, so that's one problem solved. Unfortunately when I tested the SNESes out nothing had changed. The UN3 SNES still has checkerboarding, so I have to say there's something up with the console itself. Not really sure what to do at this stage.

Here again for reference:
UN2 Serial SNES

UN3 (1CHIP) Serial SNES

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
For those who have modded their original GBA screens with the AGS-101 screens... how the hell do you fit the system together? I have carved out the inside of the front panel to fit the screen, and trimmed the screen down to size, so it fits snugly. But whatever I do, the battery area of the back panel hits the screen, meaning I can't close it up at all.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

HellFox posted:

I ordered the M2-Trio just fine about 30 minutes ago. Are they out already? I was scared into action by the "done selling by Saturday, but first come first serve" so I impulse purchased. :ohdear:

Unless I'm completely blind, all I see is this message: "The Trio is SOLD OUT"

Edit: confirmed to be sold out via Facebook... too slow this time :(

kynikos fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Has anyone replaced the casing on their GBA SP? Mine's all scuffed up and I'd like to swap it out. It's a 101 if that makes a difference. Where's a good place to buy from? And is the plastic in front of the screen separate from the screen itself?

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Has anyone replaced the casing on their GBA SP? Mine's all scuffed up and I'd like to swap it out. It's a 101 if that makes a difference. Where's a good place to buy from? And is the plastic in front of the screen separate from the screen itself?

Well I just took mine apart for the screen mod above. It's pretty easy. Guessing eBay would be your best bet for replacements - maybe a broken one would be best (shells on their own could be bad repros). The screen is what you see - nothing in front of it, unlike the original GBA, unfortunately, so if it's scratched, you're screwed.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
a box from hokkaido?! whatever could it be?!

Great quality tape, I'm gonna have to find some of this. The package is already great.

Could it be... a SCART cable?

Sweet angled d-pad doesn't give it away yet?

hahah gently caress you guys i'm out

Me and my roommate are stuck of the stage of Genji and Heike Clans where all the frogs jump at you :psyduck:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

honeymustard posted:

Well I just took mine apart for the screen mod above. It's pretty easy. Guessing eBay would be your best bet for replacements - maybe a broken one would be best (shells on their own could be bad repros). The screen is what you see - nothing in front of it, unlike the original GBA, unfortunately, so if it's scratched, you're screwed.

Dang, there's one tiny nick in an otherwise perfect screen. Any other options for getting that out?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HellFox posted:

Thank you so much for the heads up on this. I wish I could afford the M1 trio and M2 trio in anticipation of getting a model 1 Sega CD someday, but at least for now my system 2 monstrosity will no longer require the hilarious extension cord mess. Leaving three old-school transformers plugged in like that also wastes a sick amount of power when the systems are off.

:retrogames::respek::retrogames:

Is this really true? That leaving game consoles plugged in when not used uses a lot of electricity?

flyboi posted:

it's... so pretty

How do you feel about the video quality difference? I know from my spergery that the difference is astounding, I was just wondering someone else's opinion going from composite to that.

Play the ice world (world 4) in Super Mario Bros 2 if you want a color shocker. :)

honeymustard posted:

For those who have modded their original GBA screens with the AGS-101 screens... how the hell do you fit the system together? I have carved out the inside of the front panel to fit the screen, and trimmed the screen down to size, so it fits snugly. But whatever I do, the battery area of the back panel hits the screen, meaning I can't close it up at all.

You don't just trim the side so the screen fits like that, you also have to trim INTO the system so that the screen lies further down into the front half of the system. I have a Dremel and it still took a lot of time; sounds like you just carved out the tabs so it fit the height and width is all. You have to carve out a lot more.

Vprisoner posted:

This post is from a while ago, but I thought I'd give a status update.

Retro started selling her cables again, so I bought another SNES scart cable with proper shielding. No checkerboarding on the N64 this time around, so that's one problem solved. Unfortunately when I tested the SNESes out nothing had changed. The UN3 SNES still has checkerboarding, so I have to say there's something up with the console itself. Not really sure what to do at this stage.

Here again for reference:
UN2 Serial SNES

UN3 (1CHIP) Serial SNES

Weird...you had checkerboarding on the N64 and the SNES. These new cables got rid of the N64 checkerboarding, but the SNES checkerboarding is still there?

That makes almost no sense, however the more complex graphics of the N64 make it easier to not see. Do you have s-video cables for your SNES that you can try?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Dang, there's one tiny nick in an otherwise perfect screen. Any other options for getting that out?

The RoseColored Gaming site says SOME of their GBA screens have a screen protector built into them. Some do, some don't. Small chance yours does maybe? If not don't feel bad, I snapped the ribbon cable of my AGS-101 screen when doing the mod. :retrogames:

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

You don't just trim the side so the screen fits like that, you also have to trim INTO the system so that the screen lies further down into the front half of the system. I have a Dremel and it still took a lot of time; sounds like you just carved out the tabs so it fit the height and width is all. You have to carve out a lot more.

I've trimmed it as much as I can but the difference in the gap left at the moment between the top and bottom is much greater than the thickness of the top that I could cut away, so I don't see how it's possible to fit in.

This is the guide I'm looking at: http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5hpu1 And here, he just trims the tabs, and it seems to fit fine :\

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Is this really true? That leaving game consoles plugged in when not used uses a lot of electricity?

You ever touch one of those wall warts after not playing the system for a while? They stay pretty warm.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Quick shot of all my recent purchases.

Lots of N64 goodies. :neckbeard: Castlevania is really fun, but you have to make sure not to accidentally flip the Turn This Game Into Stupid Bullshit switch when you start a new game, AKA never not play as Carrie. And I know most people think Quest 64 is awful, but it was one of my favorite games back when it came out because I had no taste as a kid.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This is a post for the cool gunes who have traded games with me!!

First, a great start to my PC Engine collection from our e-friend iast:

I traded some NES games with Jitsu the Monk for these:

And 8-bit Miniboss traded me a RGB SCART to YPbPr box for some Saturn games, even though I ran up on an unpassable deal on a XRGB-2 Plus the day it got here v:downs:v

I have a lot more trades coming too, so I'm going to have another big post of trades soon!

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Weird...you had checkerboarding on the N64 and the SNES. These new cables got rid of the N64 checkerboarding, but the SNES checkerboarding is still there?

That makes almost no sense, however the more complex graphics of the N64 make it easier to not see. Do you have s-video cables for your SNES that you can try?

I might be able to get a hold of some. Also I've considered the idea that the UN3 I have may not actually be a 1CHIP. I'll see if I can find a 4.5mm security screwdriver to open it up and check.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

How do you feel about the video quality difference? I know from my spergery that the difference is astounding, I was just wondering someone else's opinion going from composite to that.

Play the ice world (world 4) in Super Mario Bros 2 if you want a color shocker. :)

I've only played it for a little bit so haven't had much time to dick with it but I really like the improvement.

What I don't like is the titler's cable length on the controllers are back to the short stuff much unlike the 505.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ACID POLICE posted:

I traded some NES games with Jitsu the Monk for these:

I used to play the absolute poo poo out of Hogan's Alley back in the day. No civilian was safe :black101:

• Locked thread