Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had a microplane wear out yet, but I assume they would get dull over time.

And I'm with you on the pastry brushes. I uses silicone mostly because I get tired of picking the hairs off whatever I'm brushing, but every silicone brush I own acts more like a sauce mop than brush. I have one of that had strips with holes in sandwiched between the bristles, and it seems ot hold more than than the regular ones, but still doesn't exactly distribute it evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Are you using the microplane on like wood or the shell of a coconut or something, I'd think it should hold up pretty well otherwise! I have a little one I've owned approximately forever and I've never noticed dulling.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

toby posted:

Are you using the microplane on like wood or the shell of a coconut or something, I'd think it should hold up pretty well otherwise! I have a little one I've owned approximately forever and I've never noticed dulling.

I've noticed some dulling. Nutmeg and cinnamon are kind of woodlike I suppose.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I guess now that I think about it, I generally only use mine for zesting fruit, or maybe on something like garlic or carrot or whatever. Not on harder things like nutmeg, yeah. That would make sense.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I used to microplane horseradish on a nightly basis at work, and definitely found that they would get noticeably duller after only 3-6 months or so. I'm sure nutmeg/cinnamon etc. are much more injurious.

edit: Also I hope no one ever bothers to get the microplanes that come with a handle- those will break/bend in no time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I used to microplane horseradish on a nightly basis at work, and definitely found that they would get noticeably duller after only 3-6 months or so. I'm sure nutmeg/cinnamon etc. are much more injurious.

edit: Also I hope no one ever bothers to get the microplanes that come with a handle- those will break/bend in no time.

The ones that are "full tang" so to speak, where the microplane goes through the handle are fine. The ones where it's a molded plastic handle and frame with the metal microplane inlaid into the plastic frame ones are pieces of poo poo.

edit: visual aids:

A-Ok: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40020-Classic-Zester-Grater/dp/B00004S7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367006455&sr=8-1&keywords=microplane

The Sucks: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-35002-Home-Series-Grater/dp/B00004S7VK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367006488&sr=8-4&keywords=microplane

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

microplanes wear out, right? I'm not just imagining it?

also can someone recommend me a silicone pastry brush? all the ones I've used have either been too big, too small, didn't hold on to enough liquid, released it unevenly or all suddenly at once, etc etc.

on the other hand, I'm tired of my normal pastry brushes soaking up all my sauces/butters/whatever and being hard to clean. argh, first world problems.

These work fine for me: http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Products-Four-Silicone-Brushes/dp/B00200KHK6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367009115&sr=8-6&keywords=silicon+brush

@Gravi: The good one you linked broke off (the "blade" itself like bent and died) in a month or two.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

The ones that are "full tang" so to speak, where the microplane goes through the handle are fine. The ones where it's a molded plastic handle and frame with the metal microplane inlaid into the plastic frame ones are pieces of poo poo.

A-Ok: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40020-Classic-Zester-Grater/dp/B00004S7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367006455&sr=8-1&keywords=microplane

The Sucks: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-35002-Home-Series-Grater/dp/B00004S7VK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367006488&sr=8-4&keywords=microplane

I have both of those and haven't noticed a difference.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
microplanes with handles are fine, I've had the same on for 3 years and it's fine. Nutmeg and harder root veg will dull a microplane over time, it'll last forever if you only use it on fruit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have both of those and haven't noticed a difference.
The plastic ones work fine, until you push too hard and snap them. Luckily they make ones that are all metal ("microplane professional").

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a couple of the `professional' Microplanes (which I bought because at the time they were the cheapest for some reason) like this. They've been sturdy enough for my use.

As for a Microplane getting dull---of course they do. They ain't magic, and they'll get dull with use like any other tool with a cutting edge. And in principle you could sharpen them, albeit laboriously, more or less the same way you sharpen anything else. I can't imagine wanting to do this except to prove that it's possible, however.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

SubG posted:

And in principle you could sharpen them, albeit laboriously, more or less the same way you sharpen anything else. I can't imagine wanting to do this except to prove that it's possible, however.

Or if you wanted to reduce your hands to little nubs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Another microplane to avoid is one without a handle like this: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40001-Stainless-Steel-Zester/dp/B00004S7V7/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367014040&sr=8-5&keywords=microplane I can't stand mine because I can't get a good grip on it without worrying that I'm going to grate my palm.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

toby posted:

I guess now that I think about it, I generally only use mine for zesting fruit, or maybe on something like garlic or carrot or whatever. Not on harder things like nutmeg, yeah. That would make sense.

yeah, I grate a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon on mine. zest, cheese, garlic and ginger being pretty much the only other things I've used it on. except a frozen block of foie gras :gonk:

anyways I think the ginger and hard spices really put it through its paces. but again I'm doin a sanity check here - sounds like other people have had the same experiences (phew)

SubG posted:

As for a Microplane getting dull---of course they do. They ain't magic,

QUIT RUINING MY DREAMS :cry:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 26, 2013

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Another microplane to avoid is one without a handle like this: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40001-Stainless-Steel-Zester/dp/B00004S7V7/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367014040&sr=8-5&keywords=microplane I can't stand mine because I can't get a good grip on it without worrying that I'm going to grate my palm.

I have one of these and use it practically every day, but I got it from Lee Valley Tools with the optional holder, which takes it from practically unusable to amazingly awesome.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I zest a lemon, I run the zester over the lemon, and not the other way around. Makes it hella faster.

My microplane wears down fast. I grate a lot of nutmeg, and fresh ginger. It really seems to blunt the fucker.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whoever invented the microplane must be so rich now. :(

really makes me want to figure out a superior synthetic pastry brush solution. wish I knew the first thing about prototyping/manufacturing/foreign trade...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

really makes me want to figure out a superior synthetic pastry brush solution. wish I knew the first thing about prototyping/manufacturing/foreign trade...

I LINKED YOU ONE, BUTTHEAD.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mindphlux posted:

Microplane is literally just a wood rasp:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/dining/12united.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

In terms of silicone brushes, in my opinion the best one right now is that OXO one with the little grid in the middle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm suprised it originally wasn't supposed to be a body filler rasp personally.
I've heard it was supposed to be a file or something in the hand tool market, but never seen much use of rasps in wood working, when a planer or router could do the job. Files are more metal work, and rasps are more body filler, or "bog" work as far as I knew.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

I LINKED YOU ONE, BUTTHEAD.

yeah but I've used ones like that before, they don't hold on to sauces really. :( you dip them in something and then go to apply to your food item and it's like a giant cascade of poo poo just drops out of them and then you smoorch it around messily with your dumb silicone flexi-bristles. ideally I'd like something that behaves more like a traditional pastry brush...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Spoon the sauce over top and then use the brush to spread it evenly? Silicon is nonstick. You'll never find one that holds. That's the point of silicon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

edit^^^ I think the absorption capability of the bristles themselves isn't a very strong a factor for the absorption of the brush as a whole. Besides, the absorption of the bristles would mean that they wouldn't readily release their sauce (think cotton bbq brush).

edit 2: and if he wants a brush for plating, silicone will never work. There's just no dexterity or control to with it.

mindphlux posted:

yeah but I've used ones like that before, they don't hold on to sauces really. :( you dip them in something and then go to apply to your food item and it's like a giant cascade of poo poo just drops out of them and then you smoorch it around messily with your dumb silicone flexi-bristles. ideally I'd like something that behaves more like a traditional pastry brush...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Those silicone brushes work hella shittily. Unfortunately, I think that the ability of conventional brushes to hold onto sauces is due to the thinness of the bristles and their proximity to each other, viscosity and surface tension being the main things at work. The further apart the bristles, the thicker the sauce needs to be to work right. Unfortunately, the bristles are hella flexible, like you said, which kills your control the thicker the sauce is. So yeah. They're really only useful for non precise things with thick sauces...which means glazing ribs on a grill and basting food and that's about it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 27, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fo3 posted:

I'm suprised it originally wasn't supposed to be a body filler rasp personally.
I've heard it was supposed to be a file or something in the hand tool market, but never seen much use of rasps in wood working, when a planer or router could do the job. Files are more metal work, and rasps are more body filler, or "bog" work as far as I knew.

Well, isn't bondo pretty similar to wood in terms of softness? I know in woodworking, they're used for things like wood carving, which is different from the tools you've mentioned in that you're working with a curved and complex surface. Body work is I guess the same thing.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Those silicone brushes work hella shittily. Unfortunately, I think that the ability of conventional brushes to hold onto sauces is due to the thinness of the bristles and their proximity to each other, viscosity and surface tension being the main things at work. The further apart the bristles, the thicker the sauce needs to be to work right. Unfortunately, the bristles are hella flexible, like you said, which kills your control the thicker the sauce is. So yeah. They're really only useful for non precise things with thick sauces...which means glazing ribs on a grill and basting food and that's about it.

Yeah, but that sort of continuous work is the cases where you'll overdip the brush or end up with the most bristle loss anyway. Though I'm speaking purely for a home cooking use case. I also use mine for brushing butter or egg wash for pastries, too, and it suits my needs. The oxo one people mentioned has some stiffenign plastic in the middle, so it doesn't totally flop around. Though I still doubt you could do any of those dramatic sauce swipes on a plate with it or anything like that.

I know painting is often done with sponge brushes, but I don't know how that would work with a sauce and I don't know of any food-safe sponges.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Spoon the sauce over top and then use the brush to spread it evenly? Silicon is nonstick. You'll never find one that holds. That's the point of silicon.

Like gravity was saying, I think it's more just that the bristles are so thin and close together that makes traditional brushes work. I guess I was just hoping someone made a silicone brush that had a lot of really thin strands or something - I don't think the silicone itself is inherently preventing the sauce from being held.

So like, maybe something like those crazy fiber optic lamps, but made of silicone?

I bet that would hold reasonably well...

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Silicone that thin wouldn't be strong enough. Just make a brush out of Dyneema yarn. Although, for all I know it'll cause cancer or something, or maybe it's not heat-safe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

Like gravity was saying, I think it's more just that the bristles are so thin and close together that makes traditional brushes work. I guess I was just hoping someone made a silicone brush that had a lot of really thin strands or something - I don't think the silicone itself is inherently preventing the sauce from being held.

So like, maybe something like those crazy fiber optic lamps, but made of silicone?

You should make a brush out of fiber optics attached to a penlight. Then you could be minphlux, plater of light.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You should make a brush out of fiber optics attached to a penlight. Then you could be minphlux, plater of light.

Wouldn't this just mean that all his meals would just be microwave ready meals that poorly paid Mexicans drop a few sprigs of parsley on before serving to make them hand made?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mindphlux posted:

How about a brush made out of fiber? Those exist. They used to be used for cleaning drawings and small models. We use them to clean solder pads.
Just google Glaspinsel. I have no idea what they are called in English

http://www.amazon.de/L%E4ufer-1021-Glasradierstift/dp/B000KT7LO4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367250141&sr=8-4&keywords=glaspinsel

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Err - a fiberglass pen/pencil? Instead of a pastry brush? I can't see any way that would work.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I checked the first page and didn't see them listed, anyone got any pressure cookers they would recommend?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On the low end, Dino recommends the Presto 8 quart stainless steel in the pressure cooker thread

Someone said the Fagor heats up more evenly on the bottom than the Presto. Haven't tried the Presto but I'm pretty happy with my Fagor 6 quart stainless steel (although i should've gotten an 8 quart in hindsight)

On the high end Gravity recommends Kuhn Rikon because it's a closed system; air doesn't escape at normal operating pressure and presumably therefore doesn't let flavor escape.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I checked the first page and didn't see them listed, anyone got any pressure cookers they would recommend?

I originally bought a 6 qt aluminum Presto and replaced it with a 4 qt and an 8 qt Fagor stainless steel. I like the stainless steel much better. I also agree that the 8 qt size is much more convenient for a lot of things than the 6 qt size. One nice thing about the Fagor models over the Presto is that the Fagor doesn't have the 'jiggling weight' the Presto does -- it's built into the handle. It's just one less little piece to lose in the drawer.

Fagor has the Splendid line and the Duo line, the only difference being that the Duo can handle two cooking pressures (8.5 psi and 15 psi) and the Splendid just one (15 psi). I've never seen a reason for 8.5 psi, so I went with the Splendid. You may read that the Duo is made in Spain (as opposed to the Splendid from China), but I believe the Duo is now made in China as well.

I personally bought a Fagor Splendid combo set with a 4 qt and an 8 qt for $120 and I'm happy with it. I never really considered it before, but a 4 qt can be handy when you're doing a small batch of something relatively fluid (i.e. rice pudding for dessert or something). It also makes for a decent high-sided pan in regular non-pressure cooking (the set includes a glass lid as well). I liked the build quality on the Fagor pots over the Presto, though to be fair it's aluminum vs stainless steel as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Semirelated: supposedly Williams-Sonoma stopped selling pressurecookers in light of recent events.

...because, you know, terrorists shop at Williams-Sonoma.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Semirelated: supposedly Williams-Sonoma stopped selling pressurecookers in light of recent events.

Rich terrorists.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

It was only in Boston and they're selling them again there now.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I originally bought a 6 qt aluminum Presto and replaced it with a 4 qt and an 8 qt Fagor stainless steel. I like the stainless steel much better. I also agree that the 8 qt size is much more convenient for a lot of things than the 6 qt size. One nice thing about the Fagor models over the Presto is that the Fagor doesn't have the 'jiggling weight' the Presto does -- it's built into the handle. It's just one less little piece to lose in the drawer.

Fagor has the Splendid line and the Duo line, the only difference being that the Duo can handle two cooking pressures (8.5 psi and 15 psi) and the Splendid just one (15 psi). I've never seen a reason for 8.5 psi, so I went with the Splendid. You may read that the Duo is made in Spain (as opposed to the Splendid from China), but I believe the Duo is now made in China as well.

I personally bought a Fagor Splendid combo set with a 4 qt and an 8 qt for $120 and I'm happy with it. I never really considered it before, but a 4 qt can be handy when you're doing a small batch of something relatively fluid (i.e. rice pudding for dessert or something). It also makes for a decent high-sided pan in regular non-pressure cooking (the set includes a glass lid as well). I liked the build quality on the Fagor pots over the Presto, though to be fair it's aluminum vs stainless steel as well.

Thank you very much, that seems to have generally favorable reviews on Amazon and it's on sale. Thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Most of my nonstick cookware is just about toast, so I'm looking to replace it all with some stainless steel stuff tonight. It's pretty rare for me to cook, so I'd rather not spend a lot of money. To that end I'm not really looking for brand recommendations (I've seen what's on the first page of the thread), but are there any brands I should seriously avoid for any reason?

Also, is there something I should look for on the packaging or whatever to verify that the cookware will work OK with induction heaters? My range is an electric-coil stove and it is so awful, I'd like to try to use my induction cooker when I can for something besides my cast-iron skillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

are there any brands I should seriously avoid for any reason?

Also, is there something I should look for on the packaging or whatever to verify that the cookware will work OK with induction heaters? My range is an electric-coil stove and it is so awful, I'd like to try to use my induction cooker when I can for something besides my cast-iron skillet.

Avoid anything you pick up that seems lighter than a feather. For most purposes, the heavier the better quality, and the better it will perform. The poor quality stuff is generally very lightweight and will be harder to cook with. A major keyword you're looking for is 'tri-ply' or 'aluminum (or copper) core'.

As for making sure it will work with induction, bring a small magnet with you when you go shopping. If it sticks to the bottom of the pan, it will work on your induction cooktop.

• Locked thread