Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

VogeGandire posted:

Remember the McDonalds advert?

Well, Hyundai have one-upped it. In fact, I don't think ONE-upped is strong enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpopOOLLLFE

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I think they're deliberately baiting. They'll make a half-arse apology at some point, and people will keep buying Hyundais because nobody gives a poo poo about anything anymore.

Best case scenario is that the ad agency were acting alone and will be sacked.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The second highest comment on that video is both spot on, and not that unbelievable given what is in the actual advert. loving hell.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Noreaus posted:

I think they're deliberately baiting. They'll make a half-arse apology at some point, and people will keep buying Hyundais because nobody gives a poo poo about anything anymore.

Either that or some idiots are going to try doing that and die and Hyundai will get sued into oblivion.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Once again this GIF comes into use.

loving advertising.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's no way that'll be shown on British TV. Will it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Apparently it's a deliberate viral.

Maybe they're hoping to withdraw it for a full-on Streisand effect "all publicity is good publicity" thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ryan Air and one of the bookies have ran deliberately controversial ads to reap press coverage and outraged forewards, but this is the first time I've seen a car maker do it.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ryan Air and one of the bookies have ran deliberately controversial ads to reap press coverage and outraged forewards, but this is the first time I've seen a car maker do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRhdjPIa4J0
Not a real advert

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hahaha, that's actually pretty funny, though it would be horrendously offensive as a real advert.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

VogeGandire posted:

Remember the McDonalds advert?

Well, Hyundai have one-upped it. In fact, I don't think ONE-upped is strong enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpopOOLLLFE

viral and ~~controversial~~ although as edgy as it is it gets the point across pretty succinctly whilst not being too obvious, not many ads really do that these days.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

There's a lot that's problematic with depicting suicide in art - not only do you potentially bring up painful and traumatic memories for those who've been affected by it (or indeed attempted it themselves), but it can also act as a 'suicide manual' for people who are consider it. Nonetheless, I'd say that if you do it tastefully and considerately and it's artistically justified, it's fair enough (obviously.) Selling a car is obviously nowhere near to artistic justification.

On that basis, I think the bit that annoys me the most - looking it as just a video and not specifically an advert - is the (unnecessary) shot of the tape on the window. While a lot of people know that you can commit suicide with a car in a garage, I'm not really sure that many people really think about the detailed logistics of it - this is particularly true of young people, I'm guessing - and it's fairly easy to imagine the tape thing never occurring to them. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that if enough people see it this video it could easily turn an attempted suicide into a successful one.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Politician's Husband was a really good, if fairly standard, political drama first ep. I just hope its smart enough to avoid the usual cookiecutter politicodrama subplots and mix things up a bit regarding the Freya character. If she stays under the thumb of either man for the whole series it'd be a big disappointment. Tennant also put in a great performance.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

twoot posted:

If she stays under the thumb of either man for the whole series it'd be a big disappointment...

You can set your mind at ease because that's not going to happen. I can tell, because I have the slightest notion of character arcs and foreshadowing.
Also, the floppy haired fat man is so typecast he might one day wake up and find himself a member of parliament.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can set your mind at ease because that's not going to happen. I can tell, because I have the slightest notion of character arcs and foreshadowing.

Well I thought that way about the US House of Cards in the first few episodes, but then it didn't really take off and remained middling in having promising characters do very little.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, the floppy haired fat man is so typecast he might one day wake up and find himself a member of parliament.

Roger Allam is brilliant and should keep being in everything

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

twoot posted:

Roger Allam is brilliant and should keep being in everything

You son of a bitch, I'm now going to HAVE to spend all of tomorrow watching all of TToI.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

You son of a bitch, I'm now going to HAVE to spend all of tomorrow watching all of TToI.

Proud to be of service :devil:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Much more apt.
You've also made me want to watch it, but I'll be on some trains for most of tomorrow, then drunk in Herts. tomorrow evening so I can't

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

As soon as you said this, without having seen the show, I pictured Mannion and thought "I bet that's who he means." What I'm saying is I think you might just be very right.

The Hyundai advert has been taken off YouTube for copyright, so I guess they're not planning on it going viral now. Anyone have another link to it? I'm intrigued.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

Anyone have another link to it? I'm intrigued.

Sounds like someone at Hyundai's PR firm is getting a raise

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"You don't know! You're on the last chopper out of Saigon, I'm having up the arse from Ho Chi Minh!"

:allears:

Why did I wait so long to watch through this again.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Red Oktober posted:

As soon as you said this, without having seen the show, I pictured Mannion and thought "I bet that's who he means." What I'm saying is I think you might just be very right.

The Hyundai advert has been taken off YouTube for copyright, so I guess they're not planning on it going viral now. Anyone have another link to it? I'm intrigued.

I think you can watch it here on Liveleak, but I can't check it's the right one, because apparently you can't get a good phone signal on a train in the Midlands, but it looks like it.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 26, 2013

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Matt Berry has a new radio series called I Regress, worth a listen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0dlz

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You had me at Matt Berry.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghGs9-9lNFU

Just beautiful.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

onoflalks posted:

I think you can watch it here on Liveleak, but I can't check it's the right one, because apparently you can't get a good phone signal on a train in the Midlands, but it looks like it.

Yeah, looks like it. Seems fairly obvious that it was never meant to air though, I can't believe anyone would think it a good idea to actually put it out.

pointsofdata posted:

Sounds like someone at Hyundai's PR firm is getting a raise

Touché.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How I've missed Brooker accurately summing up ludicrous news coverage of tragic events. :allears: I might prefer his segment on 10 O'clock Live to Newswipe/Weekly Wipe even.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That woman in the debate in 10 O'Clock live irritated the gently caress out of me, especially when she stopped the entire debate to announce one side was right and one side was wrong, and David verbally loving EVISCERATED her.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

VogeGandire posted:

That woman in the debate in 10 O'Clock live irritated the gently caress out of me, especially when she stopped the entire debate to announce one side was right and one side was wrong, and David verbally loving EVISCERATED her.

Who the gently caress was that screaming tory harridan?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just watched 10 o clock live too. Felt like they finally listened to the complaints about the first series.

gently caress that Apprentice woman though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Shame it's still poo poo though.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

EddieDean posted:

He has a voice that's great in everything, but perfectly tailored to saying 'Khalisee'.

All I can ever hear him saying in my head is 'JOHHNNNN' from his run on Spooks when he was the sorta-bad-dude behind John/Lucas.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I think I'm going to spend the entire weekend watching The World at War.

Everyone needs to watch the entirety of TWaW at least once, even just for Lawrence Olivier's amazing voice doing narration.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Newswatch on the BBC news channel is talking about the disproportionate amount of airtime given to the event in boston compared to bombings in iraq, the earthquakes in china and iran and the explosion in texas (which killed more) in the same week. The head of the news basically just said "well its america and its easier to get pictures from america so..."

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

VogeGandire posted:

I think I'm going to spend the entire weekend watching The World at War.

Everyone needs to watch the entirety of TWaW at least once, even just for Lawrence Olivier's amazing voice doing narration.

Funny you mentioned this, I've been plowing my way through the DVDs for the last week. It's still a masterpiece, haven't seen the special features yet (of which there's a lot of) but I'm sure they'll be just as excellent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The BBC are a bunch of mealy mouthed cunts when it comes to responding to complaints. Remember the student protests, when their presenter laid into the disabled guy who was thrown from his wheelchair, then they refused to even accept complaints because of 'an internet campaign'.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The entire media are a bunch of mealy mouthed cunts when it comes to responding to complaints.

This would be more accurate. Burchill, anyone?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Newswatch on the BBC news channel is talking about the disproportionate amount of airtime given to the event in boston compared to bombings in iraq, the earthquakes in china and iran and the explosion in texas (which killed more) in the same week. The head of the news basically just said "well its america and its easier to get pictures from america so..."

I never really got this argument. The news doesn't prioritise stories by the number of people who've died, but by the most surprising events. If it really was prioritised by death count the news would be... very weird.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

ITV News is news for vegetables. It reminds me so much of the mind rapingly vapid American network news programmes that I occasionally had to sit through when I was living over there. Actually, it's worse. At least pleasant looking people present American news. ITV has Alastair Stewart: an orange faced, animated mummy with the fixed expression of a man who has taken his first breath having just been sealed in a chamber of a thousand farts. There is nothing in human language more grating to listen to than an Englishman who rolls his Rs.

I'd like to know how you Brits feel about the amount of coverage of the royal family on TV. ITV news and Channel 5 news seem to end every show with a doting non-story about the British royal family. Tonight they were showing three of them arsing about for the cameras at some Harry Potter thing. At least in the USA they had some loving variety: some horribly afflicted person overcoming their illness, a cat getting rescued from a well or a tree, someone who'd invented something to try to make the world a slightly less horrible place. But ITV and Channel 5? Look at ARE ROYAL FAMILY! Look at how hard they work! Look at ARE KATE's new dress! Look at how normal they all are! Look at them doing things that you oiks are into!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sex pervert posted:

I'd like to know how you Brits feel about the amount of coverage of the royal family on TV.

If they cut the coverage down to zero, I'm not sure I'd even notice.
In reality, the Royal Family are an easy way to plug a gap in the news - there's always a camera crew or two following one of them around - and they're popular with middle-Englanders, so if a producer can't be bothered sifting through news to find a story worth sending a correspondent to, they can drop in some tripe about the Queen visiting a sweet factory or some bollocks and sack off early for the night.