Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't kid yourself. If ISPs were allowed to charge you extra for browsing sites internationally they would :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Martytoof posted:

Don't kid yourself. If ISPs were allowed to charge you extra for browsing sites internationally they would :q:

We all, collectively, dodged such a bullet there. If they had been quick enough on the uptake, it would have happened.

I shudder to think of the world that nearly was.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Thanks, now I'll be having loving nightmares sleeping tonight.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

They'll probably let you out of your contract early!

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

If Koodo stops unlimited world-wide texting I'm gonna... do nothing because there's nowhere else to go :(

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Has anyone here dealt with Rogers Corporate for setting up a business account?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh, made when Digg was a big deal and not Reddit.

Yet still loving terrifying. Companies like HBO & ESPN are still trying it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I buy a new SIM card from Rogers to put in an iPhone 4, will it invalidate and deactivate my old fat-style SIM card currently in my iPhone 3G? I'd like to keep the 3G around for emergencies if this 4 I'm buying craps out.

I know I can cut down my SIM card and use an adapter to enable its use in legacy SIM devices so if that's the best way to go then I'll do that. If I can just get a second card from Rogers for $10 and keep my first one, as long as both aren't on the network at the same time, then I'd prefer to do that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Martytoof posted:

If I buy a new SIM card from Rogers to put in an iPhone 4, will it invalidate and deactivate my old fat-style SIM card currently in my iPhone 3G? I'd like to keep the 3G around for emergencies if this 4 I'm buying craps out.

I know I can cut down my SIM card and use an adapter to enable its use in legacy SIM devices so if that's the best way to go then I'll do that. If I can just get a second card from Rogers for $10 and keep my first one, as long as both aren't on the network at the same time, then I'd prefer to do that.

You'd have to confirm with Rogers, but when I asked Fido if I could do the same, the sales rep told me he'd deactivate my old mini-SIM. We can't possibly allow for multiple phones on the same account without paying exorbitant family account fees, can we?

I ended up cutting my mini-SIM into a micro-SIM to fit my Nexus 4, figured I'd never need a mini-SIM again.

Edit:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

Regarding Telus's USA text price hike, fret not, OpenMedia is back with another online petition your MPs can wipe their arses with! Woohoo!

Jan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 24, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I figured that was the case, but I was hoping that perhaps they'd allow both to exist and just deny one or the other network access based on whichever phone authenticated first.

I will do more digging, but I will probably just try cutting the card myself. I suppose if I gently caress up I will need to buy a new one from Rogers, and in either case I'll need the adapter to use whatever I end up with in my old phone so it's no big deal.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Now that you mention the scenario it is pretty ridiculous that you can't have multiple sim cards linked to the same account. If I'm paying for a certain amount of voice and data then I should be able to use it on as many different phones as I want.

It's like a cable provider only allowing one TV per plan. There is a physical restriction to prevent sharing of lines but TV service is also unlimited and not defined like cell service.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

cowofwar posted:

Now that you mention the scenario it is pretty ridiculous that you can't have multiple sim cards linked to the same account. If I'm paying for a certain amount of voice and data then I should be able to use it on as many different phones as I want.

It's like a cable provider only allowing one TV per plan. There is a physical restriction to prevent sharing of lines but TV service is also unlimited and not defined like cell service.

Yeah but now the cable companies force you to buy/rent cable boxes rather than charge by the TV. And they used to try to charge you extra by how many jacks you had in your house though I don't think that was really enforced too much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would be a logistical nightmare though. Your sim card is provisioning you a phone number. If someone calls it, which handset would it go to? Both? Which handset get to talk if you both answer the phone? I'm not exactly up on how data works over GSM/3G/whatever so I can't speak to how data is provisioned with regards to a sim card.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
One phone number has always been linked to one SIM. It's just how the system works.

On Bell at least, you used to be able to change SIMs for free on-line, but they got rid of that. I'm not sure if the other carriers let you do that, I know TELUS did at least in the past.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

less than three posted:

One phone number has always been linked to one SIM. It's just how the system works.

On Bell at least, you used to be able to change SIMs for free on-line, but they got rid of that. I'm not sure if the other carriers let you do that, I know TELUS did at least in the past.

Telus allows it, and I'm pretty sure I was able to do it when I was with Rogers a couple years ago.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

What are the chances of Koodo's current $60 plan existing in a similar form after the current offer ends on May 1st?

I want that plan, but I also want an S4. If this $60 nationwide unlimited/2GB data plan will have nothing comparable post-May 1st however I'm not sure if I should just suck it up and get a Nexus 4.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do you need a device subsidy, or buying outright? If you're going to pick up an S4 shortly, just buy the plan on a SIM the last day of the deal and stick it in once you get the device.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

less than three posted:

Do you need a device subsidy, or buying outright? If you're going to pick up an S4 shortly, just buy the plan on a SIM the last day of the deal and stick it in once you get the device.

For an S4, a subsidy. A Nexus 4 I'd be willing to buy outright, it's just the lack of LTE that has me wary of it.

Edit: Lack of LTE and rumours of a new Nexus announcement next month.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 24, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I think that Koodo plan will still be available just without the double data/minutes?

Last summer they had the same/similar plan except it had 6gigs of data so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that come back as they try to entice the back to school crowd.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was told by a Koodo representative when I signed up that you can replace your plan for a promo plan at any time for free (or a cheap price, can't quite remember for sure). You can just sign up now and keep an eye on their promos and wait for it to pop up again?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hey, sorry if this has come up already, but does anyone know the deal with Mobilicity's "data light"? Their website is vague on what it is, but it seems to imply that you can only use it for social media and email. Do they seriously mean that you can't use data beyond email and Facebook on the data light plans without getting dinged for it?

I'd personally rather go for the Canadian owned Mobilicity over WIND, but not enough to pay an extra 10-20 a month for true unlimited data.

Also, as an aside, has anyone else noticed Telus' attitude in the last year or so of basically not giving a poo poo about retention? When I worked for them 3-4 years back, they would give up almost anything (within reason) when a customer threatened to cancel. I called directly into the customer retention department and when I asked how much it would cost me to cancel today and port my number, they didn't even make the slightest attempt to retain me. They literally just told me that absurdly high number and asked if that was all today. Quite the inspiring response to increased competition: nahh, we're too good to try and keep our current customers happy. What a poo poo company.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

Hey, sorry if this has come up already, but does anyone know the deal with Mobilicity's "data light"? Their website is vague on what it is, but it seems to imply that you can only use it for social media and email. Do they seriously mean that you can't use data beyond email and Facebook on the data light plans without getting dinged for it?

Based on that description, I'd venture it's not an actual data connection, but a "web browsing" connection like Petro Canada mobility has. I'm not 100% certain on the details, but it seems to be some HTTP-only system. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks here.

And speaking of data, what are everyone's experiences with regards to the big 3's data reliability and responsiveness? (Not plans, they all suck equally.) I vaguely recall Telus being more responsive than my current Fido data, even though both were 3G/HSPA+. This probably varies by area, too, but any opinions will do in the likely event that no other Montrealers follow this thread.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jan posted:

Based on that description, I'd venture it's not an actual data connection, but a "web browsing" connection like Petro Canada mobility has. I'm not 100% certain on the details, but it seems to be some HTTP-only system. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks here.

Yeah, what I figured. Also, WIND's customer "service" is a loving joke. They were blatantly wrong on some pretty simple questions.

Jan posted:

And speaking of data, what are everyone's experiences with regards to the big 3's data reliability and responsiveness? (Not plans, they all suck equally.) I vaguely recall Telus being more responsive than my current Fido data, even though both were 3G/HSPA+. This probably varies by area, too, but any opinions will do in the likely event that no other Montrealers follow this thread.

As far as I know Bell and Telus are almost identical, in well populated areas of the East, at least. My experience has been positive. Pretty quick, nothing to write home about, but pretty consistent. I have friends who have experienced slower times on some of the new carriers, but I've been using data devices with Telus for over 5 years, and though it has clearly gotten much faster in recent years, it has generally been very consistent.

On a side note, if anyone is looking to sign up for a post paid account with WIND and want the maximum tab without going for the $40 plan, after questioning a few store reps I'm pretty confident that you can sign up with the $40 plan, get the max discount, then drop your plan to a lower one after a month. The only negative is that it will take you longer to pay off your tab, what whatever.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Is anyone familiar with the situation with Shaw's unused bandwidth? Has the government put any restrictions on them selling it off to one of the big incumbents?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers wants to buy it, but it's conditional on the ministry approving the sale. If they do approve the sale then all they've done is prove that their restrictions in the last auction were a joke -- the whole point was that the spectrum would NOT go to one of the big three.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Squibbles posted:

I think that Koodo plan will still be available just without the double data/minutes?

Last summer they had the same/similar plan except it had 6gigs of data so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that come back as they try to entice the back to school crowd.

It's unbelievably annoying that they can just go ahead and *triple* the amount of data offered (by far the most valuable portion of the service offering) at certain times of the year without raising prices, and without encountering any apparent financial difficulty. It really speaks to the enormity of their margins, and the capricious way that wireless is run in this country.

There's no way you'd see that sort of behaviour in any wireless or otherwise market that was anywhere close to functional.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How does phone reservation work with Rogers? Do you work out what you're doing (outright vs. upgrading) at the store once it gets in, or what?

Edit: And their policy is still (remaining months)*$15, right?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 25, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So there's been plenty of bluster on reddit, etc about Telus raising SMS prices to the USA to $0.40. If someone's midway through a contract, and signed onto that contract with the expectation that the price for that service was some X < $0.40, and then they raise it - how is this not a breach of said contract? Does it not therefore release any given consumer from the obligation to see out that contract for its duration?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lexicon posted:

So there's been plenty of bluster on reddit, etc about Telus raising SMS prices to the USA to $0.40. If someone's midway through a contract, and signed onto that contract with the expectation that the price for that service was some X < $0.40, and then they raise it - how is this not a breach of said contract? Does it not therefore release any given consumer from the obligation to see out that contract for its duration?

It was brought up earlier in the thread, and it very well might be considered a breach of contract, but it's also possible their lawyers are cooler than your lawyers and may have a way around it. If I had to guess, they might say that they are raising a non essential service price. Carriers have raised prices on stuff like call display in the past and got away with it, and they can simply tell you to get rid of call display if you don't like it as they can still provide you with the service that they are legally bound to provide for without call display. It may work something like that, if it works that way at all.

The other point that was raised is if one carrier is going to raise a price, then all carriers will eventually raise the price, since Canadian carriers are insanely deluded and believe they can salesmanship their way around any price increase, so no need to undercut your competitors. In other words, even if you are able to weasel your way out of the contract, you'd only wind up with a carrier that will do the same thing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They will probably argue that your contract doesn't specify costs of items like that and they are free to change the price at any time. I remember Rogers pulling similar poo poo a few years ago, arguing that 'addons' weren't part of the contract. Of course, if you go far enough up the chain of command, you can probably get released from the contract because it's easier for them then actually testing it in a court.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Yeah, fair enough. I'm on Rogers now, and if they pull a similar move, I'm going to argue that my contract should be canceled on pure principle and see how far it goes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

^ Yeah, fair enough. I'm on Rogers now, and if they pull a similar move, I'm going to argue that my contract should be canceled on pure principle and see how far it goes.

Don't worry, Rogers already charges extra to text the USA. :)

Telus and Bell were the holdouts, though now it's just Bell I guess.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I hope this doesn't trickle down through to Koodo.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

Don't worry, Rogers already charges extra to text the USA. :)

Telus and Bell were the holdouts, though now it's just Bell I guess.

Yeah, I just mean if they ever introduce a new cost that wasn't present at the time of my contract signing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

terriyaki posted:

I hope this doesn't trickle down through to Koodo.

Makes me even more reluctant to take the plunge and buy back into cellphone ownership. iPod Touch plus a crappy flip phone looks better and better in this country. :sigh:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BGrifter posted:

Makes me even more reluctant to take the plunge and buy back into cellphone ownership. iPod Touch plus a crappy flip phone looks better and better in this country. :sigh:

Wait, you don't have a cell phone? How do you play angry birds and send unreliable SMS texts? How could someone possibly get by with only email, Skype, and a myriad of instant messaging services? ...wait...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

Wait, you don't have a cell phone? How do you play angry birds and send unreliable SMS texts? How could someone possibly get by with only email, Skype, and a myriad of instant messaging services? ...wait...

Do you also go into the XBox thread and tell people they are discussing a device that isn't, strictly-speaking, necessary?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just got scheduled to work every other week in Courtenay for the next two months. The last time I was there the Best Western's Wifi, while decently fast, disconnected and reconnect me every 20 minutes. All I get is slow Rogers HSPA up there as well. Is there a way to rent out like a Telus 4G key for 2 months or am I just forced to wallow in early 2000s era internet.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Eej posted:

I just got scheduled to work every other week in Courtenay for the next two months. The last time I was there the Best Western's Wifi, while decently fast, disconnected and reconnect me every 20 minutes. All I get is slow Rogers HSPA up there as well. Is there a way to rent out like a Telus 4G key for 2 months or am I just forced to wallow in early 2000s era internet.

Do you know that Telus' HSPA network is faster than Rogers' HSPA in that area? Because unless you have LTE coverage, 4G means HSPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Telus' website claims to have 4G LTE coverage over there and even google has a blurb about them spending a few million bucks to put up LTE towers in that area.

I managed to get my shifts reduced there to two weeks so I think I'll just manage on my poopy phone tether.