Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

From what I recall the Bentuusi just consider anyone who lives in space unbound, or somehow linked to a ship. They called Karen S'jet the unbound.

It's basically someone who is connected neurally into the ship, yeah. I just really enjoy the "The Bentusi Explain poo poo" moments in all three games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

It's basically someone who is connected neurally into the ship, yeah. I just really enjoy the "The Bentusi Explain poo poo" moments in all three games.

The Bentuusi are interesting in the way that they describe other species as infant races. They're obviously ancient and have galaxy hopping technologies. But I'm surprised the Homeworld 2 villain was able to basically destroy them entirely, the game calls the Harbourship of Bentus the last of the Bentuusi.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
All of this makes me regret I never got around to making a shirt with a tradeship on it that said "Get Bent".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

The Bentuusi are interesting in the way that they describe other species as infant races. They're obviously ancient and have galaxy hopping technologies. But I'm surprised the Homeworld 2 villain was able to basically destroy them entirely, the game calls the Harbourship of Bentus the last of the Bentuusi.

Did we ever get a solid answer on if that was Makan's doing though? I know S'jet in that cutscene calls it that, but do we know what happened to the rest? Did a ton actually get out during Cataclysm and after that ordeal Bentus was the only one left?

Also the Bentusi design philosophy is just amusing, with the way they shape their ships that then seem to fly backwards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Did we ever get a solid answer on if that was Makan's doing though? I know S'jet in that cutscene calls it that, but do we know what happened to the rest? Did a ton actually get out during Cataclysm and after that ordeal Bentus was the only one left?

Also the Bentusi design philosophy is just amusing, with the way they shape their ships that then seem to fly backwards.

I want to say that a TON of backstory was in the Prima strategy guide for HW2, including what happened to the Bentusi. I never had it so I can't say for sure; only something I heard somewhere.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Orv posted:

I don't recall if any of the games every say specifically, but I always got the feeling that the Bentusi were sort of in their twilight years as a civilization by the time the games story lines start. For all we know Makaan could have been wiping them all out though, the dude is basically Space Genghis Khan after all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Orv posted:

That moment in Cataclysm when the Beast infects a Bentusi trade ship and they self destruct instead is great. You also finally get the answer to who "The Unbound" are from that little tragedy Here it is in case you haven't played Cata or just want to watch the Bentusi gently caress up some Beast.

"There is something wrong here. A presence. We sense its hunger. Not infant race. Not Unbound. Something other. Something older. Something from Outside! It tears at Us! Rewriting Song. Devouring memory. Turning Our Body against us...Binding Us!!! This cannot be... WE... WILL... NOT... BE .. BOUND!!!"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I want to say that a TON of backstory was in the Prima strategy guide for HW2, including what happened to the Bentusi. I never had it so I can't say for sure; only something I heard somewhere.

I'm a dumbass who collects strategy guides that I never use precisely for this reason, and I do have the HW2 one. It basically just has a re-written and abridged version of the first history portion of the HW1 manual, with a few added bits here and there. Nothing about the Bentusi fading away or anything, but I'd probably have to agree with Mr. Sharps.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Orv posted:

I'm a dumbass who collects strategy guides that I never use precisely for this reason, and I do have the HW2 one. It basically just has a re-written and abridged version of the first history portion of the HW1 manual, with a few added bits here and there. Nothing about the Bentusi fading away or anything, but I'd probably have to agree with Mr. Sharps.

Well Bentus was originally supposed to be a Megalith, somewhere on the order of 20 times the size it appeared in-game in HW2. There's concept art of one of the Bentusi Harbor ships doing a trench run to dock with the thing. I just chalked the lack of Bentusi as the writers saying "We need to an emotional impetus to send you against the Vayger: hey, let's wipe out the Bentusi because we are short-sighted and they are a fan-favorite."

The only reason Bentus had to explode was because they shoe-horned the whole Core thing into the story. If there were no Cores, a lot of things in the sequel would have been better and they wouldn't have to ret-con so much of the original.

Edit: VVVV Agreed.

FooF fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 26, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just a thought, although Homeworld is an old series, and we've all played it, a number of people who have never touched the games will be picking them up due to this rerelease, and they may come to this thread.

I'd say spoiler tags would be a good idea for story stuff, at least for now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FooF posted:

Well Bentus was originally supposed to be a Megalith, somewhere on the order of 20 times the size it appeared in-game in HW2. There's concept art of one of the Bentusi Harbor ships doing a trench run to dock with the thing. I just chalked the lack of Bentusi as the writers saying "We need to an emotional impetus to send you against the Vayger: hey, let's wipe out the Bentusi because we are short-sighted and they are a fan-favorite."

The only reason Bentus had to explode was because they shoe-horned the whole Core thing into the story. If there were no Cores, a lot of things in the sequel would have been better and they wouldn't have to ret-con so much of the original.

Edit: VVVV Agreed.

The entire plot of HW2 is a complete last minute cobble-together, so it's not a huge impact thing, honestly. I'd kill for Homeworld 3 to just be Homeworld 1 with new graphics and extended journey of the Exiles.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
On the topic of a digital release of Homeworld, I don't know if Adagio for Strings is public domain, but I'd hate to lose the credits track due to licensing issues.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZombyDog posted:

On the topic of a digital release of Homeworld, I don't know if Adagio for Strings is public domain, but I'd hate to lose the credits track due to licensing issues.
Composed 1936 / first performance 1938, so no. However I can't imagine that the licensing terms for a fairly old piece of classical music would be that restrictive, and AFAIK the track was an original performance. It's not like they were negotiating with some RIAA jackholes for it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

What is more important, clearly, is licensing the Yes song.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Didn't Yes make that in collaboration with Relic/who-ever was working on behalf of the devs/publisher? I'd think a perpetual right to use the song in anything part of the franchise would have been part of the deal.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just dug up my US Homeworld box, it has a sticker advertising the Yes single on it, and contains an additional disc with the song on it as well. Good times.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

toasterwarrior posted:

I never played the Homeworld games, but my impression after seeing some stuff on Youtube is that a lot of its appeal comes from the fact that it's basically the Alpha Centauri of RTSes: extremely well-done atmosphere and plot that isn't the usual fare for its genre?

Throw yourself back to 1999, the RTS market was pretty much dominated by the Command and Conquer series and StarCraft, with everything else released at the time generally following the mold set by those games with the occasional improvement to something like unit selection or commands.

At the time 3D was pretty newish for the RTS genre and attempts had been made but usually meant unweildly path-finding or clunky 3D controls (Earth 2150 comes to mind). Homeworld largely got around that by setting the gameworld in space which removed much of the complexities of coding in terrain pathfinding.

One of the aspects that made Homeworld notable was that it threw out the typical "start a level with X resources, a small base and work from there", to having a persistent fleet you had to build up and maintain, which, tied well into the story where you're dragging a rag tag fleet across the galaxy on a quest for home.

The downside was the game came with a scaling difficulty level which while being handy could easily overwhelm you or in some cases gently caress you over immensely as on my first go I started the asteroid clearing level with two fighters and a frigate that barely survived the raider battle, and subsequently lost the frig to a rock.

Other moves away from the the norms at the time was not having buildings so no fiddling with real estate while streamlining the tech tree to a time based research queue that didn't require cash (aside from building additional vessels to speed things up). A similar approach was done with resource collecting; "send command, we hunt for rocks" and not rely on mixing and matching gold and wood.

The game also didn't feature fog of war (in the sense of a map slowly being revealed) but showed you everything out there, yet gave a loose hint to where things were, but just not what it was.

Wrap all that up in a game that was dripping in atmosphere, where ships chatted and blared out damage reports, you could zoom in nice and close on space battles and each level's backdrop slowly changed depending on how far away you were to the final goal and it was clear the team at Relic just cared about what they were creating.

The demo at the time was pretty cracking with the first mission (up to the Taidan raider reveal) and a limited skirmish mode that removed some of the higher tier ships but still was very playable and completely sold me.

It's nearly been 15 years since that game's come out and it still manages to hold up solidly with the only real clunky bit being the fact you can't control units from the sensor map, a feature later added in Cataclysm (along with being able to dumb fire the siege cannon clear across the map as a result).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Well drat, I can definitely see that people have a passion for this game, and I can respect that. Thank you and everyone else for your thoughts; hopefully Gearbox will at least get the originals remade well and on Steam. I'll definitely pick them up then.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

FooF posted:

"We need to an emotional impetus to send you against the Vayger: hey, let's wipe out the Bentusi because we are short-sighted and they are a fan-favorite."

I thought I remembered all of Bentusi pissing off to another galaxy in cata. I always just figured the "LAST OF THE BENTUSI" in Homeworld 2 was just the one that decided to stick around and keep an eye on things.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Klyith posted:

Composed 1936 / first performance 1938, so no. However I can't imagine that the licensing terms for a fairly old piece of classical music would be that restrictive, and AFAIK the track was an original performance. It's not like they were negotiating with some RIAA jackholes for it.

You'd be surprised. The estates and/or publishers for most famous composers will keep renewing copyright as long as they're able, and they get really nasty about unauthorized use. The Bernstein Estate, for instance, is stupidly restrictive about using his music. Even just arranging his stuff - like taking Candide or West Side Story and making a medley for band - involves a team of copyright lawyers and editors breathing down your neck, making sure that every note you put down was copied from the original score, even if Bernstein made a mistake.

Barber's stuff probably isn't as bad as Bernstein, though it is owned by G. Schirmer, one of the major publishers of sheet music. Agnus Dei (the choral version of Adagio for Strings) is currently set to become public domain in 2031, so I suppose it depends on the terms Relic negotiated with the publisher; if they could only use it for the initial release of the game, or if they thought ahead and secured the rights for all subsequent releases as well.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

So it looks like the old devs at BlackBird took the opportunity to drop preorder bundles into their F2P RTS thing Hardware while Homeworld nostalgia is high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37cFbkArlw

The art and soundtrack (ahhh Ruskay I have missed you) look amazing but the prices are off the hook, especially as there is no gameplay footage and no one knows anything about the game.

https://blackbirdinteractive.com/store/

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Oof, that's a hundred dollars for access to a beta , based completely on developer pedigree, some CG trailers and artistic mock-ups, and the fact that it is a 'free-to-play rts'.

The 'Prospector’s Guide' is a little nutso by itself - this is, what, a digital strategy guide + background guide book, for FIFTY DOLLARS? Like not even a limited edition physical copy that won't be printed again, you know, the kind of physical goods that actually bring in the money in kickstarters because pledgers see value in it?

MrBims fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 27, 2013

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

MrBims posted:

Oof, that's a hundred dollars for access to a beta , based completely on developer pedigree, some CG trailers and artistic mock-ups, and the fact that it is a 'free-to-play rts'.

The 'Prospector’s Guide' is a little nutso by itself - this is, what, a digital strategy guide + background guide book, for FIFTY DOLLARS? Like not even a limited edition physical copy that won't be printed again, you know, the kind of physical goods that actually bring in the money in kickstarters because pledgers see value in it?
You nailed it. I'm all for taking a risk and showing these guys some support and all, but $50 for what amounts to digital fluff? I love lore and attention to detail on things like this, don't get me wrong, but this feels like developer hubris more than anything. I mean, I'm a skeptical rear end in a top hat and all, but throw me some in-game videos or something before doing this. These guys know their audience, and they know that people like us are really craving an excuse to purchase this. They're not giving us one, and it's a giant missed opportunity.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

cloudline posted:

You nailed it. I'm all for taking a risk and showing these guys some support and all, but $50 for what amounts to digital fluff? I love lore and attention to detail on things like this, don't get me wrong, but this feels like developer hubris more than anything. I mean, I'm a skeptical rear end in a top hat and all, but throw me some in-game videos or something before doing this. These guys know their audience, and they know that people like us are really craving an excuse to purchase this. They're not giving us one, and it's a giant missed opportunity.

It looks looks its going to be a f2p, why would anyone shell out a 100 bucks for a free game.... that is free :psyboom: ? I could see if they added some super awesome bonuses, but as of now I cant even tell what this game is. Is it a rts, fps, or copy of Homeworld, I just don't know.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crash74 posted:

It looks looks its going to be a f2p, why would anyone shell out a 100 bucks for a free game.... that is free :psyboom: ? I could see if they added some super awesome bonuses, but as of now I cant even tell what this game is. Is it a rts, fps, or copy of Homeworld, I just don't know.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... this game will eventually be released for free, why would I pay $50/$100 to troubleshoot it for them? I guess they need some seed money until whatever freemium model kicks in?

And beyond that all we know that the concept art looks pretty and will involve space ships in some fashion. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem shelling out $80-$90 for collectors editions of games in franchises I like (and I'd be amazed to learn if the devs I want to support saw a single red cent from the extra money I paid), but in this case, I don't even know what I'd get in return.

Hardware looks interesting, and I want to see more, but the complete lack of details aside from "this will be F2P" makes me worried that this will be another let down.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Holy poo poo. So at the beginning it says "The dawning of a new era in 3D RTS - Polygon.com" right?

The article in which polygon published those words, it was a quote from the developers. So really they're just quoting themselves but attributing it to polygon.

Getting a strong feel of bullshit from this.

cloudline posted:

I think they're not showing the game intentionally because if we knew what it was it wouldn't be excited at all. Even the really good web strategy games don't really get anyone excited, even if they enjoy playing them.

I don't think I've ever been asked to spend money on a game without having even the faintest idea what playing it will be like. And $50 for an ebook is terrible. The thing is, I might buy an pure art book from those guys even without any interest in their game. If it was a physical product.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Klyith posted:

Holy poo poo. So at the beginning it says "The dawning of a new era in 3D RTS - Polygon.com" right?

The article in which polygon published those words, it was a quote from the developers. So really they're just quoting themselves but attributing it to polygon.

Jesus christ :psyduck:

Splitting up quotes to make someone say something you want is an old tactic, but that is just lazy and sleazy as all hell.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I want to get excited about this game, if only I had anything other than concept art to be excited about.

Ah well, I'm happy to just forget about it until something more material comes out.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Klyith posted:

It also says that it is / was a goddamn Facebook game, so they want 100 bucks for a flash game where you have a farm and grow corn pigs and contently annoy people with requests to rotate your crops. This seems shady as hell.

Edit: \/\/ Fair enough, point taken.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 27, 2013

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I wish I could say something about Hardware but I'm under NDA... :(

If I can be cryptic: I would want the Prospector's Guide.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crash74 posted:

It also says that it is / was a goddamn Facebook game, so they want 100 bucks for a flash game where you have a farm and grow corn pigs and contently annoy people with requests to rotate your crops. This seems shady as hell.

:goonsay:

I'm not terribly interested in giving money to a unreleased free to play RTS either but come on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FooF posted:

Let me put it this way- if it was under the normal Kickstarter tier type thing, you bet your loving rear end I'd pay extra for a paper manual. The Homeworld manual sums up the idea of the bygone age of feelies for me, but those prices are insane. Also, F2P RTS's have an awful track record, so I'm way more wary now. I thought Hardware was going to have an SP campaign. :smith:

Other thing HW1/Cata don't get enough credit for- their amazing skirmish mode. It was like a Zen Garden with Ion Beams. I used to relax to just building a fleet and watching the fighters dance and the cap ships put on a light show.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

FooF posted:

I wish I could say something about Hardware but I'm under NDA... :(

This is reassuring.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Other thing HW1/Cata don't get enough credit for- their amazing skirmish mode. It was like a Zen Garden with Ion Beams. I used to relax to just building a fleet and watching the fighters dance and the cap ships put on a light show.
One of the things I loved doing was turning on resource injection (as high as it would go with the shortest possible intervals), turning off research, and just build up a giant fleet with my infinite resources and never attack. The AI will just smash themselves on you over and over again and you get to watch pretty explosions forever.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I did some research into the backgrounds of the developers (because you know - when they say "Homeworld developer" it could just be the guy who coded the multiplayer lobby) - and it all seems on the level. It's still of money for such vague details, though.

Here's an interesting post by the "chief technical officer" talking about why they aren't building their own engine for the game. It provides some insight into the guy's background, at the least. It was also posted a year ago, so they've been working on this for some time.

Now, do I pay the $100? They're not going quick, so I think I'll wait for some more info.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Klyith posted:

This is a great catch. It is a really lovely thing to do to polygon and polygon really need to call them out on it ASAP.

The game may be great but as ever it is never a good idea to preorder, it is definitely not a good idea to preorder an f2p game and it is absolutely not a good idea to preorder a f2p game we haven't seen a screenshot of let alone gameplay footage.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The quote misattribution is a gigantic red flag and I'm not giving those people any money in advance. It just screams "Scam!" to me even if their backgrounds check out.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

To be fair it's hard to tell if the PR video guys are devs as well (it is a pretty small company). Maybe FooF or anyone in the closed beta could raise it with them it's a pretty big misstep.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Wait if you shell out the 100 bucks you can play the game now? Is it in beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Hardware: Shipbreakers, a game formerly envisioned as a Facebook cash grab then reborn as a F2P “persistent multiplayer” “social strategy game” that no one outside of the NDA encased, closed beta knows anything about. But some guys from Relic and the original Homeworld team are part of it, a whole 3 of them, and they were all artists, which explains the familiar look. Now they're offering the deal of the century, spend $100 on some digital poo poo and get instant access to a game you know nothing about other than that it has something to do with ~Homeworld~. Yikes.

I'm probably overly negative but c'mon, there have been kickstarters with $100 contributions that had more to offer – and more to show.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 27, 2013

• Locked thread