Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Leviathan Song posted:

I'm a little late on peanut butter but how about a fluffernutter?

It's a marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwich. I grew up to love it but everyone who didn't seems to think it's the most disgusting thing ever. I swear it's delicious.

Aw, I used to adore fluffernutters. :( 'Used to' because nowadays I just kind of find them sticky and dry at the same time (I have no issue with the sweetness though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Leviathan Song posted:

I'm a little late on peanut butter but how about a fluffernutter?

It's a marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwich. I grew up to love it but everyone who didn't seems to think it's the most disgusting thing ever. I swear it's delicious.
The first time I had ever heard of fluffernutters was on that Top 5 show that used to be aired on Food Network, and I still haven't eaten one. (I don't know if I'd really want to considering that I'm not big on really sweet foods.) I wouldn't be surprised if these sandwiches were a regional thing.

Captain Drumline
Jan 28, 2007
I'M CAPTAIN DRUMLINE, THE ROCK AND ROLL CLOWN!

I DO COCAINE!

Avshalom posted:

It's me, I'm the goon who likes peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches.

Peanut butter and honey is good too.

Peanut butter and honey is awesome. The honey sort of crystallizes when it meets the bread, which is great. I never tried Vegemite though. Anyone know where I can get it in the states, specifically the Midwest?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ysgarron posted:

I'm surprised no one has posted an image of the glory of the Fat Sandwich.

This goes in the area of the "Looks terrible but tastes amazing". Imagine you take an 8" amoroso roll and stuff anything you would want to eat while drunk, high, hungover, or all three. Then top with fries.

The names are horribly punny too, like "Fat Walk of Shame" (Cheesesteak, bacon, egg, mayo, ketchup)

When I went back to visit my Alma Mater I had to go there. Almost poo poo myself on the 2.5 hour ride home. It was worth it.

e-spelling

When the Fat Sandwich Company on State Street in Madison closed, a part of the city died.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

It's the same as this, basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9CysSSsps

But the Huhu Grub at least tastes like something you've eaten before.

From a couple pages back, but holy loving poo poo no. Was that the real sound effect of the larvae bursting picked up by the microphone? Or was it made to sound squishier in post? Because if it was the former, :barf:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Drumline posted:

Peanut butter and honey is awesome. The honey sort of crystallizes when it meets the bread, which is great. I never tried Vegemite though. Anyone know where I can get it in the states, specifically the Midwest?

You can order it from Amazon. I order Marmite because I eat it by the jar and it's hard to find around Houston.

I'm considered gross about for salty I eat my food. I eat 12 grain toast with marmite and American cheese on it for breakfast every day. I go through bottles of soy sauce weekly. I snack on lemons dipped in salt. I have basically no ability to taste food flavors well, so I eat super salty stuff to make up for the lack of other flavors. I get bitched at about how awful it is for me a lot. That salted licorice sounds heavenly, incidentally.

Also, my Mom makes pear salad for Sunday dinner every week. Diced canned pears, shredded cheddar, shredded iceberg, all layered with a big dollop of Miracle Whip. It looks exactly as gross as you'd think, and it's oddly gritty. I love that horrible "salad" though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Palpatine MD posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, isn't peanut butter a sandwich spread staple around the world?

Over here the stereotype is that the Dutch like to put peanut butter in everything. But now that I think about it, I'm having trouble coming up with examples other than dishes that are Indonesian in origin.

I think I'm just bitter because I recently found out that thick/traditional fries are known as 'Amsterdam Fries' in Brazil. :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jonny Nox posted:

I've only found one peanut butter (outside of expensive organic brands) that DOESN'T contain Sugar. So at my house, we only eat Superstore No Name peanut butter.

Smuckers has a variety that's just peanuts and salt. That's what I used to get when I was in the US.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Chantilly Say posted:

Entirely out of curiosity now that we've brought up Australia and peanut butter, is peanut butter and Vegemite a thing at all? Like in a sandwich.

Not for me or anyone I know, but it probably is to someone. The two flavours wouldn't mix well. We also don't normally do peanut butter and jam, but due to the influence of american television it's catching on.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Considering Vegemite tastes vaguely like soy sauce, I want to say there's the possibility it would work for the same reasons satay sauce does, but I'm not going to test that theory myself.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
The sweet creaminess of the peanut butter perfectly complemented the saltiness of the Vegemite according to the sophisticated tastebuds of 14-year-old me. (remember, the peanut butter must be thick and the Vegemite must be molecule-thin!)

(also remember that 14-year-olds have lovely taste)

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Anyone hating on cheese & peanut butter has clearly never had a lightly toasted muenster & PB sandwich. Yes, it's weird, but it's actually pretty tasty!

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I worked with an American guy who used to eat toasted cheese and jam sandwiches. That always seemed pretty nasty.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I can see that working. I actually have this great sharp, crumbly cheddar and a really nice locally made strawberry jam at the moment, and damned if they don't go nicely. Light on the jam, but the pairing works surprisingly well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ Cheddar goes with sweet stuff surprisingly well. It some parts of New England, it's tradition to have a slice of sharp cheddar with/on your slice if apple pie. ^ ^ ^

I've seen restaurants that serve hamburgers/cheeseburgers with peanut butter on them, so peanut butter and cheese also isn't too weird a concept to lots of people.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

DrBouvenstein posted:

^ ^ ^ Cheddar goes with sweet stuff surprisingly well. It some parts of New England, it's tradition to have a slice of sharp cheddar with/on your slice if apple pie. ^ ^ ^

Vermonter spotted.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Loomer posted:

I can see that working. I actually have this great sharp, crumbly cheddar and a really nice locally made strawberry jam at the moment, and damned if they don't go nicely. Light on the jam, but the pairing works surprisingly well.

Yeah you're right. I would have sweet chutney with a cheddar cheese any day but it was something about the sweetness of jam that was off-putting.

Slice of cheese on apple pie? Now that's too far. If we don't have rules, anarchy reigns.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Slice of cheese on apple pie? Now that's too far. If we don't have rules, anarchy reigns.

You talkin' to me?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Vermonter spotted.

I gots maple syrup in my veins, and cheese in my brains!

Edit: Is cheese on/with apple pie really only a Vermont thing? I thought it was most of northern New England, like New Hampshire and "real" Maine?

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Is cheese on/with apple pie really only a Vermont thing? I thought it was most of northern New England, like New Hampshire and "real" Maine?

My mom's side of the family eats it this way, and they've been Michiganders since they immigrated from Ireland, so I don't think it's just a New England thing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There is/was a law in Wisconsin that made cheese on top the only legal way to serve apple pie at restaurants.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Shadownerd posted:

Gluten Free Bread.

From way the hell back.

There are a number of exclusively gluten-free companies, but their products tend to be hit and miss. I go with Udi's for white bread and muffins (their double chocolate muffins are objectively delicious even outside of the gluten-free context), and Glutino is a good substitute. One of the things I had been seriously missing with this whole gluten-free thing was wafer cookies, and Glutino makes a chocolate-covered chocolate one that is a good stand-in for Kit Kats. Except then I can eat a box of them when I really shouldn't. Annie's is actually on the low end of organic/gluten-free, in my approximation. This is one of those things you really do end up having to shop around for and find which companies make the best things, which can be a pain because everything is expensive. And then your idiot housemates eat all your muffins because they don't know that those are the only muffins you can have.

I actually don't have anything else to contribute, because I find a lot of things disgusting that normal people find palatable (nougat, for example, and rye), and the reverse is also true (rapini is a gift from the gods, the bitter, bitter gods). So. Uh. Continue?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Pick posted:

High calorie food isn't inherently unhealthy. Calories are only your enemy if you need to lose weight.

Yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy%27nut

It's pretty much just peanut butter with some ground up multivitamins. Someone in GWS actually made a batch once (can't find the thread though)

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Yesterday my coworker asked if I liked spicy things and handed me an oily-looking saltine cracker with seasoning on it. Apparently they're called "Spicy Crackers" and they're saltines marinated with canola oil, ranch dressing mix and red pepper flakes.

For as redneck as the recipe is, they were actually pretty good.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cheese with apples is fairly normal in Britain, like in a ploughman's lunch. Not heard of it being eaten with apple pie though.
My dad does like a chunk of cheddar on the side of fruit cake, guess that's nearly the same!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can't eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches after this one time, a friend of my mom made one with butter as well, and it was the most disgusting thing. Ruined them for life. My husband made me one once and I gagged when I tried to eat it. He was so confused. "You like jam, how is this different?" I know it's stupid. I just can't do it.

We use peanut butter for a lot of things. Celery, apples, bananas. Peanut butter banana chocolate milkshakes are the best. Yumm.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Kitsch! posted:

Yesterday my coworker asked if I liked spicy things and handed me an oily-looking saltine cracker with seasoning on it. Apparently they're called "Spicy Crackers" and they're saltines marinated with canola oil, ranch dressing mix and red pepper flakes.

For as redneck as the recipe is, they were actually pretty good.

My mother does something similar with pretzels, except minus the ranch dressing - mostly oil and cayenne pepper and garlic salt. They're delicious and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pseudohog posted:

Cheese with apples is fairly normal in Britain, like in a ploughman's lunch. Not heard of it being eaten with apple pie though.
My dad does like a chunk of cheddar on the side of fruit cake, guess that's nearly the same!

Yeah, cheese + apples is a pretty common thing here too. Personally haven't heard or even thought of serving apple pie with cheese but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Pseudohog posted:

A hunk of cheddar with an apple isn't uncommon here in south Texas either. Never tried cheese on apple pie but I've heard of it.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Picnic Princess posted:

I can't eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches after this one time, a friend of my mom made one with butter as well, and it was the most disgusting thing. Ruined them for life. My husband made me one once and I gagged when I tried to eat it. He was so confused. "You like jam, how is this different?" I know it's stupid. I just can't do it.

We use peanut butter for a lot of things. Celery, apples, bananas. Peanut butter banana chocolate milkshakes are the best. Yumm.

Another no-butter-on-PB-sandwiches person! So many childhood lunches ruined by butter. :(

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

My mother does something similar with pretzels, except minus the ranch dressing - mostly oil and cayenne pepper and garlic salt. They're delicious and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

I've had the pretzel version too. I remember that the dill was a key ingredient.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Carbon Thief posted:

Another no-butter-on-PB-sandwiches person! So many childhood lunches ruined by butter. :(

If I saw butter on a sandwich I'd lie and say I wasn't hungry. I couldn't handle it at all. I want to know what was the point? Tradition from the olden days when you needed calories all the time? Easier to swallow, like lubrication? I just don't get it. It tastes loving horrible. Why?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Try some European butter. It's made with lactobacterial culture and actually has flavor. American butter has a very neutral-to-nonexistant flavor.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

How does it compare to Australian/New Zealand butter? I'm booked to be there very soon. Europe, not so much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

How does it compare to Australian/New Zealand butter? I'm booked to be there very soon. Europe, not so much.

Well Australian butter is poisonous, venomous, and toxic. It's also on the underside of the bread.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Look at the list of ingredients. If it has 'lactic acid culture' or something similar, then it's cultured European style butter. It's available in the US too, but not made by Land-o-lakes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

Look at the list of ingredients. If it has 'lactic acid culture' or something similar, then it's cultured European style butter. It's available in the US too, but not made by Land-o-lakes.
If you can't find it with the regular butter in the dairy aisle, you might find Kerrygold Irish butter along with their aged cheddar in the premium cheese section.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

goku chewbacca posted:

If you can't find it with the regular butter in the dairy aisle, you might find Kerrygold Irish butter along with their aged cheddar in the premium cheese section.

Has to be the unsalted version though - salted Kerrygold is unfermented I think.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Try some European butter. It's made with lactobacterial culture and actually has flavor. American butter has a very neutral-to-nonexistant flavor.

The Finnish Wikipedia article on voi (butter) includes one of the most helpful sentences ever: "Voista joka on valmistettu happamoituneesta kermasta käytetään Suomessa nimitystä voi." i.e. "In Finland, butter that has been made from soured cream is called butter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TurboTax posted:

I've had the pretzel version too. I remember that the dill was a key ingredient.

My mom used to make something similar with oyster crackers. No ranch dressing, or cayenne, but lots of garlic salt, dill, and a couple other things.

Almost like a low-budget Chex mix.

• Locked thread