Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
RE: Character Death

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but players don't die when they hit 0 HP in Dungeon World - they roll their Last Breath. They only die if they then get a 6- on that roll. So, you don't need to feel quite SO bad when you throw the blow that drops a player to 0 HP - they get one more shot, one last chance, a personal confrontation with Death herself, to stay in the game. Interactions with Death can be some of the coolest parts of dungeon world. Don't be afraid to unleash her wrath when the players are putting everything on the line.

Not that this invalidates any of the advice above - if the Fighter is at 2 HP and some random kobold is about to kill him, maybe consider taking his stuff and capturing him instead. The "Be Fans of your Players" rule applies to character death too - let them die in cool and satisfying ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

In this scenario, it's really up to the GM whether the player is down a shield or down a character, correct?

It's "make as hard a move as you like," not "make the hardest move you can make at all times."

That said: why is the Fighter trying to just take the blow if he's near-death? Why are you asking the Fighter what he does instead of one of the other players, who could probably help him?

"Be fans of your players" is about making sure their characters get to be cool and dramatic, so if being reduced to 0 by a big enemy is cool and dramatic and the player won't mind, absolutely go ahead and do it - especially if it gives others a chance to shine or RP.

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm specifically thinking of the discussion of why an Improved Fighter's move couldn't be based on WIS (or INT, I can't remember), because then the fighter would suffer from Multiple Ability Dependency. I'm sorry, but what? I spend a fair amount of time on the 4E CharOp forums, I thought the idea was to get away from that. It's about the fiction first, yes?

Yeah, no "fiction comes first" is about making rule calls based on what would be "logical" in-fiction, not about making classes mechanically worse. The Improved Fighter's additional move is +Str because it's muscle memory and fighting prowess and because you're not improving the Fighter by giving it a move that it can't use most of the time.

"Fiction comes first" is not an excuse for lovely design.

Do note that the Improved Fighter's additional move uses Str specifically because it is an additional starting move, though (and thus needs to be based off the primary stat so it is always useful to all Fighter builds). Stat-switching moves are bad design because you end up with e.g. the Wizard, who gives no fucks about anything other than Int.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 26, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, after what feels like ages I'm finally sitting down to edit the a compendium class for release, and I'm having some difficulties with Inkscape. I've installed both the minion pro and copperplate gothic light fonts, but whenever I open a pdf of some other class, the ability (not header) text has some problems: everything is capitalized and there are a number of sorta messed-up looking characters. The same issues continue to occur whenever I try to edit or add text. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 10, 2017

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do note that the Improved Fighter's additional move uses Str specifically because it is an additional starting move, though (and thus needs to be based off the primary stat so it is always useful to all Fighter builds). Stat-switching moves are bad design because you end up with e.g. the Wizard, who gives no fucks about anything other than Int.

Yeah, I would add that while I think Interrogator is stat-switching done right (which Lemon Curdistan may or may not agree with) Logical is definitely an example of stat-switching done wrong because its trigger is so vague as to be pointless. They might as well have just written "Discern Realities with +Int instead of +Wis, always."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Rough Beast posted:

Interrogator is stat-switching done right (which Lemon Curdistan may or may not agree with)

No, it definitely is - specifically because it's very limited stat-switching that also encourages roleplaying behaviour. You are also right about Logical.

"When you take several hours to ponder every possible angle of a situation, you can Discern Realities with +Int" would be a much better stat-switching move than Logical - while the end result (DD with +Int) is the same, the trigger isn't so vague as to be meaningless, does impose restrictions on its use and actually tells you something about the character.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Androc posted:

So, after what feels like ages I'm finally sitting down to edit the Arcane Duelist for release, and I'm having some difficulties with Inkscape. I've installed both the minion pro and copperplate gothic light fonts, but whenever I open a pdf of some other class, the ability (not header) text has some problems: everything is capitalized and there are a number of sorta messed-up looking characters. The same issues continue to occur whenever I try to edit or add text. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I hope you guys liked the Cursed Knight, because I sure did and I'm working on a new base class:

Break Free
If you would reach +4 corruption, instead roll +cha. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one and the GM chooses one. On a miss, you completely lose control.
• Lash out at an ally
• Corrupt something or someone else
• Break something important

The first time you use Inkscape it does that, as its intelligently trying to figure out stuff. The first time you really mod a sheet and redo a portion of it to work takes awhile. If you want I can just post my template, it's based off the official and goon playbooks and enough people are doing it now I really don't think it matters, all it does is save time for the community.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

The first time you use Inkscape it does that, as its intelligently trying to figure out stuff. The first time you really mod a sheet and redo a portion of it to work takes awhile. If you want I can just post my template, it's based off the official and goon playbooks and enough people are doing it now I really don't think it matters, all it does is save time for the community.

Please do, that would be a huge help.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I was initially trying to make the Spirit Catcher split between WIS and CON in the starting moves and was considering CHA in the advances until I stepped back and realized either I replace H&S and Volley with a WIS check (no) or just swapped every move over to WIS and let people actually have a stat choice. You don't have to make your main stat your best one, but that should be the player's choice. If you're already calling for two stats in the starting moves, especially if they don't overlap with basic moves you'll use often, you're putting some pretty ridiculous restraints on the player. Your choice in assigning your stats should be up to you based on what kind of basic moves you want to use and what kind of role you want to play. The starting moves of your class should compliment that, not drag you into using WIS on a Fighter to make sure one of your main moves is accurate.

When a class is stuck with three different abilities it primarily uses, that's either all of your positive bonuses down the drain before you can make any cool choices or 0's and -1's on stuff your class tends to use just because you want to make your stats fit the character you want to play. The Fighter focuses on STR and that's how the class is designed, so that's fine. From there, it should be your choice on if you want to use Precise tags and backflips to be a dextrous fighter, or pack on the CON to be a big brick wall, or maybe even buff your INT because you're actually a magician with a magic sword and a spell that lets you bend bars and break gates.

People tend to want the thing their character is good at to have a good number attached to it, and that should be perfectly fine. MAD isn't such a big problem in Dungeon World between the way stats work and the numbers only being between -1 to +3, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain_Indigo posted:

Would anyone be interested if I put monster manuals of this stuff up on DTRPG? Would people pay cash money? If so, how much?

I would definitely be interested! And I think price is dependent on how much there is in it. For 10ish monsters, probably 2$? 3$? I know the GMing stuff for DW doesn't sell nearly so well as player side things.

CitizenKeen posted:

The general principle is half-classes (or in Legend’s case, third-classes).

Thoughts?

Thoughts: This is not a bad idea, and is the direction I'm actually going to take with my own *World hack after IW is out and in people's hands. You're stealin' my unvoiced ideas I never told anyone :argh:

some people posted:

Stat Switching

The key to making a good stat-switching move, I've discovered, is to make sure the stat-switching is stuck in the fiction. To pull out some recent examples I've written:

The Mechanic posted:

Mechanical Suit (Starting Move)
When you Hack & Slash in your suit, roll +INT instead of +STR.
⃞ Aiming Systems: When you Volley in your suit, roll +INT instead of +DEX.

The Mechanic's core move gives them +INT instead of +STR to Hack & Slash while in their suit, and they have an option to also get +INT instead of +DEX to Volley, while in their suit. As a general rule of thumb, these replacement effects would be a bad idea - it makes a bunch of core moves all trigger off of one stat from the get-go - but I think it works for The Mechanic. It works flavorfully - The Mechanic themselves does not need to be strong or nimble, they built their suit to do that for them. And it works mechanically - the Mechanic has all of their abilities and resources poured into their suit, and mechanically rewarding them for staying in their suit is just a sound principle. Also, the playbook is a +INT playbook, but they don't start with any moves that require rolling. Instead, they have a pair of replacement options that let them fight well in their robot suit they probably built to fight people with. It makes sense.

The Bard 2.0 posted:

Bardic Lore (Starting move)
When you Spout Lore, if you tell us about a tale, song, or legend featuring the subject at hand, roll +CHA instead of +INT. On a 10+, you may also ask the GM any one question about the subject, and the GM must answer truthfully.

The Improved Bard's change to Bardic Lore was entirely to make it universally useful instead of being a niche focus, but like Bardic Lore, it requires them to tell tales to get the benefit. The move gives a mechanical boost, replacing +INT for +CHA, but the 'cost' to use the move is to make the player add to the game world, providing more content for the players and the GM to work with, and honestly that is one of the greatest things you can add to the game. The move solidifies the Bard's role as the storyteller, the narrator, the exposition machine, and the replacement move is a small mechanical boost for doing exactly that.

The Survivor posted:

Tenacity (2-5 Advance)
When you Parley by ceaselessly and unrelentingly speaking your case, in spite of those who would silence, ignore, or harm you, roll +CON instead of +CHA, and you do not need leverage.

The Survivor's Tenacity is an interesting case, because you probably need to defy danger just to use it! It requires you to stick to your guns, roleplay a certain trait, and never give up, and really, that just fits the class to a tee. Like the Fighter's Interrogator, it requires you to roleplay a certain way to get the bonus, instead of being a constant replacement, and that is a Good Thing.

One of these days I should maybe write a big megapost on my design theories re: dungeon world, but not today.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 26, 2013

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

sentrygun posted:

That sounds like a lot of work when you could just Multiclass, or better yet, just reflavor the class.
Ultimately, what I think is most important is how you describe the cool things you do. If a player keeps doing a cool thing a certain way, write them a move for that and encourage them to do that cool thing because it's fun to do. Don't cobble a bunch of half-ideas together and try to make them work, get a full idea and go overboard with it. You don't have to be a Wood Elf Ranger with his plain wolf companion, you can be a Necromancer who summons skeletons to his aid and uses his 'quiver' full of hexes to nail targets and seeking rituals to track down his prey. You're still a Ranger and use the mechanics exactly the same way between the two, but they're very different flavor-wise and even have different potential for triggering moves just because of the fiction behind the character!

All very true, though there's the some argument in the counterpoint of why invent any new classes?

I recognize it would be a lot of work, but (in no particular order) (1) I come from a HERO background, so no, it really wouldn't; :tipshat: (2) it's less about the next campaign and more about creating a longterm-viable class structure for myself, (3) hybridizing and half-classes is a common theme in class-based rpgs, and (4) I don't know that I'll be using third-party classes until they've been around longer, so I need something else for the next year or so.

But yes, a lot of work.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Androc posted:

Also, I hope you guys liked the Cursed Knight, because I sure did and I'm working on a new base class:

Break Free
If you would reach +4 corruption, instead roll +cha. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one and the GM chooses one. On a miss, you completely lose control.
• Lash out at an ally
• Corrupt something or someone else
• Break something important
Can the lashing out be emotional? Because telling the ranger you hate him and are glad the Duke banished him is different than taking a wild swing at the mage.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I kind of like the alternate possibilities for those options though. Break something important, like your promise to stop drinking.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

gnome7 posted:

Thoughts: This is not a bad idea, and is the direction I'm actually going to take with my own *World hack after IW is out and in people's hands. You're stealin' my unvoiced ideas I never told anyone :argh:

Well, I mean, it's not my idea - I thought of it once in a drunken bar conversation about the ideal MMO, but using it for elf games was something I completely got from Legend.

I've been hacking something together (got about a third of them done in a first draft form), and would be happy to share.

I've never been a fan of class-based systems. Dungeon World is the first one I've bought in... five years? Longer? I prefer point-buy systems. But I recognize allowing all the moves to everybody without any limitation in *World might be a bad idea. This seems like a nice compromise.

The 10 options I listed above result in 45 classes. I can easily think of five more hybrids which results in 105 classes. 5 more goes to 190, and if you can release a Big Book of 25 Hybrids, you end up with 300 classes. Which is effectively as good as a point buy system, while still only allowing people to choose from two "pools" and as such limiting min/maxing.

Excited about Inverse World!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Can the lashing out be emotional? Because telling the ranger you hate him and are glad the Duke banished him is different than taking a wild swing at the mage.

I'm inclined to say physical, but I want to leave room for interpretation. Regardless of how it happens, I would say that it has to be substantive in some way.

The big question: should the something or someone in each option be determined by the player or the GM? I'm kinda leaning towards making it the GM initially and the player in an advanced version of the move, but I'd like some other opinions.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Androc posted:

I'm inclined to say physical, but I want to leave room for interpretation. Regardless of how it happens, I would say that it has to be substantive in some way.

The big question: should the something or someone in each option be determined by the player or the GM? I'm kinda leaning towards making it the GM initially and the player in an advanced version of the move, but I'd like some other opinions.

I think the move is fine being undefined, as to who picks within the options. Let it be a conversation between the players, like most other ambiguous moves. The coolest/most appropriate idea will end up being what gets used.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
HOLY BALLS This game looks awesome. I wish I'd paid more attention to it when I was looking at tremulus (another *World).

Anyway, I haven't even played this game yet and I'm bursting with ideas and its driving me nuts.

Specifically I was thinking about Swordmages and how the flavor of a swordmage being an elf-only thing in certain versions of D&D could drive a racial move. Basic idea- human swordmages are looked down in by most elves, because they are bastardizing an art that is some elves birthright, and human mages and swordsman would look at the swormdage with some respect or something. I was thinking elven swordmages would get cantrips or something but that sounds stupid. Alternatively, exact opposite of the human move.

And I like the idea of Aegis from 4th Edition. I was thinking you harmonize your sword to the elements, and that's how you get something like the bladesinger's bladespells (but not so bleh), and you've also learned how to harmonize or attune to the rhythym of people's minds- and that's where the aegis comes in. You implant subtle suggestions. Retreat, stay your attack, reveal a secret, follow us, etc. You guys have said two-three concepts, so I guess I'm thinking, "aegis allows for suggestion of other creatures," "bladespells to change the way your weapon works," and "sword or blade that is bonded to you personally." Not sure that's enough or the right things.

I also had a couple of other things bouncing around in my brain. One, I've always liked the flavor of Visions of Avarice (I've played a lot more 4th than anything else, if that's not obvious). So I was thinking of it as a level 5 or 7 spell like this:

Visions of Avarice Level 5/7 Illusion Ongoing
You summon an orb of light. To you and your allies, this appears unremarkable. To any other creature who can see it, it appears as whatever they desire most. While the spell is ongoing, creatures are drawn to this object, whatever it is. You do not see what it is they desire (but they aren't stopped from saying it).

So that's a thing.

Another thing, is I enjoyed the fairly inexpensive and totally worth the price Wardstone Trilogy by MR Mathias, and something like Pavreal's Sword would be interesting as a big item in a campaign. It would be somewhat character specific though, since it would trigger off of having the blood of kings in you and being used against demons. But you'd always hear music while you're using it, and you pick out the right harmony and BAM! you've got a giant shield or amazing magic armor or your sword's now a huge magical sword thing or your sending magical energy across the field or you've got a fiery magical ethereal horse mount.

Anyway, I'm really excited to try this game out soon. Hopefully very soon.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gnome7 posted:

I think the move is fine being undefined, as to who picks within the options. Let it be a conversation between the players, like most other ambiguous moves. The coolest/most appropriate idea will end up being what gets used.

Unless there seems to be a reason, let it be ambiguous. Sometimes (in Apocalypse World [PbP]) I've taken the initiative as GM to make a decision, or sometimes I turn it back on the players. Likewise, some of my players have conceded the answers to me, and sometimes they go ahead and make them. Whatever feels right.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Thoughts: This is not a bad idea, and is the direction I'm actually going to take with my own *World hack after IW is out and in people's hands. You're stealin' my unvoiced ideas I never told anyone

When I first got into DW This was my initial hack, as a sort of mix between Dungeon World and World of Dungeons. It came out kind of like a Savage Worlds styled DW Hack (basic character sheet, taking moves from different categories where characters could multiclass/pick what they wanted). In the end I felt that 1) it didn't come with niche protection, unless you used "trees" for advanced moves the base moves, and made it so only one player could pick a move, and 2) it really slowed down character creation.

Not to say it's a bad idea, as it's precisely what I'm doing with my Eclipse Phase hack that's actually working out fantastic, but it does come with some drawbacks if speed and niche protection are the order of the day for the game you're looking for.

I'd personally love more conversation and debating on the design of classes, monsters, moves, etc for Dungeon World.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
@Fenarisk: I would not object to you expanding on that. Coming from Savage Worlds, I'd love to hear more.

As long as investment = niche, I don't really care about niche protection. If a player can steal another niche with one move, then it's a problem.

I'm more concerned with balance.

The way I'm currently envisioning hybrid classes, character creation wouldn't increase in complexity much. At least not conceptually. The main concern for me is how to represent two classes on a character sheet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm daydreaming of a class (or compendium) based on the foolish, out-of-their-element hero.

Things I'd like under that auspice:
*Pastoral solutions to problems
*Bumbling luck
*Being found important by Important People
*Ingratiating

Is this something someone would be interested in, and does it fill a niche? I feel like we've gotten to filling archetypes more than party roles, so this would be the opposite of the Dashing Hero, Artificer, and the Hardened Convict.

Human Names: Earnest, Dave, Freddy, Barry, Fiona, Tim, Bo, Luke, Kenneth.

The problem is, most of those characters evolve out of it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You could easily have a mechanic for evolving out of it, if that's what you want to go for. Even something as simple as:
When you go a whole level without feeling like you were in over your head...

phrasing and trigger and whatnot needs work of course, but DW at level 10, and AW too both have provisions for class switching while keeping the same character

e: Yeah, what Mikan said. What I'm pointing out though is evolving out is in no way foreign to the system, so baking an early class change into the class as a starting move isn't out of place at all.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 27, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Evolving out of it is kinda already covered by the mechanics.

quote:

Once you’ve reached 10th level things change a little. When you have enough XP to go to 11th level instead you choose one of these:

Retire to safety
Take on an apprentice
Change entirely to a new class

edit: welp, didn't see TheDemon's post, should have refreshed

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok, a bit of my own design philosophy from what I've seen from "good" DW classes and where they can go.

A good DW class has a base idea, let's take the Bard. The starting moves should really give a feel for the class and be the baseline along the basic moves. Now, when advanced moves come into play, there should be at minimum 2 kinds of Bard you can turn into, sometimes 3. What I mean is that there are some Bard advanced moves that are more damage oriented, while others are more support styled team oriented.

It's a lot like 4e D&D Classes. Sure, there can be two fighters, but one being a sword and shield fighter and the other a two-handed weapon fighter are completely different builds in terms of powers and playstyle. Good DW classes have two distinct styles, so you can either go full option A, full option B, or a mix of both. Add in the multiclass move and it really expands a lot. This is why the base fighter kind of sucks in my opinion, and though the improved fighter fixed a bit of the boring aspect it could use another 2-3 different advanced moves that flesh it out into something more defendery imo.

It was one of the things I want to address with a Cleric styled after how good the 4e D&D ones are. You have a support, diplomatic, peaceful cleric who really aids the part (shielding cleric), a stand in the back and smite things with divine powers cleric who boosts the part a little (laser cleric), and an in-your-face mace and shield cleric who heals those fighting alongside him (war cleric). Something like that would thrive in DW, and all it takes is splitting the appropriate advanced moves up for each subset of the playbook's niche.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Sorry to sort of repeat the same question, but I'm still having difficulties with inkscape. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work right, but my text still comes out looking like this:

(Should read: Yang, Garm, Caleb, Maximillian, Alexander, La Croix, Rodriguez, Scyld)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks for reminding me brah. It's the base for The Leader which I finished for a player in my group, go hog wild.

Page 1
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h4ezdxg93jlo7ck

Page 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v6efv36tb5c5055

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
If you're going to make or play a class that's got d4 as their base damage, you don't want to be rolling a lot of hack & slash or getting hit. So you will want to contribute to action scenes in another way, messing with your enemies or helping your friends in Interesting ways.

For the fae, which is a d4 class that has no damage Increasing advances or multiclass moves, they've got illusions and curses.

Illusions are about tricking others into acting on false assumptions. Curse can be used to make them do something unpleasant or even turn them into something harmless - which is quite powerful!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Thanks for reminding me brah. It's the base for The Leader which I finished for a player in my group, go hog wild.

Page 1
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h4ezdxg93jlo7ck

Page 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v6efv36tb5c5055

No luck, it looks like this when I open it up and still has the same issue with added text. It seems to only affect capital letters.

My first guess is some sort of font issue, but I'm positive that I installed both copperplate gothic light and minion pro.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, so going off the free rules, I definitely want to run this game.

I have one question so far - range.

If my weapon has Reach, what does that mean, mechanically?

I can say "I thrust my spear at the bandit, attempting to stab him while keeping him at range". Then what happens? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9, he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

How does that differ mechanically from "I close to melee range, attacking the bandit with my sword while parrying his blows"? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9 he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

If I'm using my crossbow (Near), but am Far from the target, then what do I need to do to get Near? Is it a move to get Near, or is it part of Volley? If it's part of Volley, then what's the real difference between Near and Far? The time it takes for an enemy to close with me? What if I'm firing from Far and the enemy wants to fire from Near? I jsut don't see any move rules at all.

I've obviously missed something important.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

If my weapon has Reach, what does that mean, mechanically?

I can say "I thrust my spear at the bandit, attempting to stab him while keeping him at range". Then what happens? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9, he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

How does that differ mechanically from "I close to melee range, attacking the bandit with my sword while parrying his blows"? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9 he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

Reach means that you don't have to defy danger to get past the dire lion's terrifying claws in order to stick your sharp object in his neck.

quote:

If I'm using my crossbow (Near), but am Far from the target, then what do I need to do to get Near? Is it a move to get Near, or is it part of Volley? If it's part of Volley, then what's the real difference between Near and Far? The time it takes for an enemy to close with me? What if I'm firing from Far and the enemy wants to fire from Near? I jsut don't see any move rules at all.

Not everything a player does requires a move with a roll. If you're far from an enemy and you want to get near, you can just walk toward him. The GM can then make a soft move in response, maybe the enemy calls for help (warn of future danger) or something. Or maybe you want to sneak into range on the guy unawares; then you'd defy danger where the danger is getting noticed. If the GM wants to pull a hard move here, like shooting you in the face as you walk up, then you should have the opportunity to defy danger as normal.

If you're firing from far, and the enemy wants to fire from near, then you're in a good position! The GM gets to make moves in response to yours, so he'll probably have the dude move up as the fiction allows.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, so the GM makes moves...

quote:

When everyone looks to you to find out what happens
When the players give you a golden opportunity
When they roll a 6-

I guess I was reading 'a golden opportunity" as something more special than "they move forward". No problem.

Edit: So to attack an enemy with reach, you need to Defy Danger to get close, and then Hack And Slash? Or can Defy Danger be used to say "I slip past its guard with an agile lunge, and strike home" or "I batter his spear aside and cut him down" and also deal damage? Do Monsters Defy Danger as well?

I'm still not sure how attacking a guy when you have Reach is different from attacking in close or hand melee, except if the idea is that the enemy couldn't just "do damage" to you if you got 7-9 with your REach weapon.

Edit again: Wait, gently caress I get it. I'm not "making moves" like a DM in D&D. I'm saying "The bandit rushes at you, spear thrusting towards your guts, what do you do?" and the player drives the action. If he decides to close in and Hack And Slash with his short sword, then that's what happens*. If he decides to Defy Danger by using his own spear to halt the charge and keep the bandit at range, then that's what happens (and then I guess their next move is to Hack And Slash at each other with spears? nope, it's whatever the player does, derp).

*But the bandit deals damage first, right? Because the bandit has a reach weapon and the player decided to not do anything about that and just close in to Hack And Slash.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 27, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It all depends! Against an inept goblin, it doesn't really matter what you use. Hack and slash, it's all the same. Against a foe with his guard up, maybe DD is enough to get you past his guard and then you just do damage because hey, you're right here, and have this sword in your liver dude. Or maybe it's something tough, where you need to DD to get close, and then you STILL need to hack and slash, because attacking from up in the lion's grill just means it fights back with its fangs instead of its claws.

The GM can adjust all of this on the fly to tweak the difficulty and the pacing of a battle.

Attacking with reach is different than a sword because you're at the other end of a honking big stick, with all that that entails! Does that mean you can attack from the other side of this fence? Sure! Does it mean you can pole-vault-kick a dragon in the face? Go for it! Does it mean you have a whole new set of interesting choices to make when the kobold assassin slips past your reach? Yup!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You posted while I was editing, but thanks! I get it! I'm gonna play DW next week now, and everyone's going to love it because it seems like it's a great balance between D&D and Fiasco.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

AlphaDog posted:

OK, so the GM makes moves...

I guess I was reading 'a golden opportunity" as something more special than "they move forward". No problem.

Edit: So to attack an enemy with reach, you need to Defy Danger to get close, and then Hack And Slash? Or can Defy Danger be used to say "I slip past its guard with an agile lunge, and strike home" or "I batter his spear aside and cut him down" and also deal damage? Do Monsters Defy Danger as well?

I'm still not sure how attacking a guy when you have Reach is different from attacking in close melee, except if the idea is that the enemy couldn't just "do damage" to you if you got 7-9 with your REach weapon.

I'd make that 2 moves, defy danger+dex to get in close, then hack and slash to deal damage. If the monster can't strike in close, or you think the players description of their action was extra awesome, you may just let them deal damage instead of rolling h&s. a lot of the finesse of dungeon world really is leading with the fiction - picking what fits, and feels fun at the time.

If a player simply says "I charge him and hit him with my sword" then you may not trigger defy danger. You might simply say "ok as you run in recklessly, he stabs you with his spear, opening a nasty gash. Take d6 damage, but you're close enough to swing your sword. How do you swing at him?"

A more in depth description from your player may trigger more moves, or less, but go better for them, depending on how their description interacts with the fiction.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fenarisk posted:

Ok, a bit of my own design philosophy from what I've seen from "good" DW classes and where they can go.

A good DW class has a base idea, let's take the Bard. The starting moves should really give a feel for the class and be the baseline along the basic moves. Now, when advanced moves come into play, there should be at minimum 2 kinds of Bard you can turn into, sometimes 3. What I mean is that there are some Bard advanced moves that are more damage oriented, while others are more support styled team oriented.

It's a lot like 4e D&D Classes. Sure, there can be two fighters, but one being a sword and shield fighter and the other a two-handed weapon fighter are completely different builds in terms of powers and playstyle. Good DW classes have two distinct styles, so you can either go full option A, full option B, or a mix of both. Add in the multiclass move and it really expands a lot. This is why the base fighter kind of sucks in my opinion, and though the improved fighter fixed a bit of the boring aspect it could use another 2-3 different advanced moves that flesh it out into something more defendery imo.

It was one of the things I want to address with a Cleric styled after how good the 4e D&D ones are. You have a support, diplomatic, peaceful cleric who really aids the part (shielding cleric), a stand in the back and smite things with divine powers cleric who boosts the part a little (laser cleric), and an in-your-face mace and shield cleric who heals those fighting alongside him (war cleric). Something like that would thrive in DW, and all it takes is splitting the appropriate advanced moves up for each subset of the playbook's niche.

That was kind of my thought, though coming at it a little backwards. I'm not exactly "splitting" the classes, as that might be difficult (though I'm not entirely adverse to it). Rather, I'm "rebuilding" the roles. For example, I have Rituals and a version of Bardic Lore as my starting moves in the Scholar hybrid class.

My thought of "building your own" would be along these lines: A player wants to play a bow-shootie guy. Okay, so you're half-archer. What kind of archer do you want to play? A dwarven armored sniper? +Defender. A graceful priestess of Selune? +Divine. A happy-go-lucky smuggler who shoots first? +Adventurer. There would be some "less than optimal" combinations (namely, I think, Swordsman+Archer), but looking at the list those would be few and far between. At the end of the day, you could start with a concept "bow-shootie guy" and add another element to it.

For me this offers a lot to players who like to operate in their comfort zone. Like having tons of HP and Armor and being a tank? Choose Defender. And each time you play, you can combine Defender with another hybrid class to come up with a new tough guy that suits your play style.

silby
Nov 5, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I'm daydreaming of a class (or compendium) based on the foolish, out-of-their-element hero.

Things I'd like under that auspice:
*Pastoral solutions to problems
*Bumbling luck
*Being found important by Important People
*Ingratiating

Is this something someone would be interested in, and does it fill a niche? I feel like we've gotten to filling archetypes more than party roles, so this would be the opposite of the Dashing Hero, Artificer, and the Hardened Convict.

This makes me think of Constable Carrot from the Discworld City Watch series and drat now I really want to play Constable Carrot in a game. (Constable Carrot is a tall, handsome, affable, and sometimes simple-seeming member of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch who has a birthmark which suggests he may be the rightful king of Ankh-Morpork but he's perfectly content where he is. Also his girlfriend is a werewolf.)

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

CitizenKeen posted:

That was kind of my thought, though coming at it a little backwards. I'm not exactly "splitting" the classes, as that might be difficult (though I'm not entirely adverse to it). Rather, I'm "rebuilding" the roles. For example, I have Rituals and a version of Bardic Lore as my starting moves in the Scholar hybrid class.

My thought of "building your own" would be along these lines: A player wants to play a bow-shootie guy. Okay, so you're half-archer. What kind of archer do you want to play? A dwarven armored sniper? +Defender. A graceful priestess of Selune? +Divine. A happy-go-lucky smuggler who shoots first? +Adventurer. There would be some "less than optimal" combinations (namely, I think, Swordsman+Archer), but looking at the list those would be few and far between. At the end of the day, you could start with a concept "bow-shootie guy" and add another element to it.

For me this offers a lot to players who like to operate in their comfort zone. Like having tons of HP and Armor and being a tank? Choose Defender. And each time you play, you can combine Defender with another hybrid class to come up with a new tough guy that suits your play style.

It's not exactly what you're talking about (mainly because it's much more simplistic), but conceptually this is the approach taken by the World of Dungeons game. It's written as a fake Dungeon World retro-clone, like some alternate B/X version of the Dungeon World set. It doesn't have explicit moves, though, just brought umbrellas of skill which let players create their own class by choosing two.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Yes. FICTION COMES FIRST.

Stop thinking in terms of "what engagement range is does this tag mean I get to use" and start thinking in terms of "what happens when I attack a dude who has a sword with my spear."

silby posted:

This makes me think of Constable Carrot

Lance-Constable Carrot is now Captain Carrot, because he's actually far from bumbling incompetence - he's a very good policeman who just happens to be pretty naive.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I was thinking of making a joke class that is pretty much the bumbling slapstick character that just continues to make everything worse. The mr bean of dungeon world

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

That Rough Beast posted:

It's not exactly what you're talking about (mainly because it's much more simplistic), but conceptually this is the approach taken by the World of Dungeons game. It's written as a fake Dungeon World retro-clone, like some alternate B/X version of the Dungeon World set. It doesn't have explicit moves, though, just brought umbrellas of skill which let players create their own class by choosing two.

Alas, World of Dungeons is not yet available to non-backers. I'll keep an eye out for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Dungeon World will be me and my friends' first RPG, so I am taking great care in making sure to understand everything. I'm sure I'll have questions later, but for now, I have one thing that I cannot find in the pdf.

What is a boon, how are they rewarded, and what do people get when they are rewarded them? What does +1 Boon mean?