Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

not a whole lot of conventional engineering solutions make sense underwater in a moving nuclear reactor powered vehicle do they?

Heh. That's an awesome way of putting it, thanks.

No. No, they do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cerekk posted:

A submarine going inverted in and of itself wouldn't sink the ship. It'd gently caress a lot of other stuff up, but the ship would right itself simply due to center of gravity/center of buoyancy positioning. The issue is that the only remotely plausible scenarios in which a ship could invert itself also involve speeds/angles that would result in an unrecoverable dive in addition to the inversion.

If the ship went inverted certain things would become broke in ways that cannot be fixed outside of drydock. It's hard to describe without going into actual details. But also yes if the boat ever had cause to go inverted things would already be very hosed.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

So how long do you have between going too fast and maneuvering too sharp and then loving up and going too far to recover from the dive? Is this like a split second thing that the control deck people are preventing at any given second, or would it be something that plays out slowly and requires waaaaaaay to much lunacy+idiocy to be allowed to actually happen?

The idea of a couple hundred men living inside of a tube that's needing precision movement controls like a fighter plane sounds.... scary as gently caress. Like, seriously scary as gently caress.

This depends on your speed & depth. If you are going flank speed and deep you can be hosed in 20-30 seconds. If you are going slow a slow event that plays out can still gently caress you however.

For example ...

I've posted this story before so here in a summarized version. We were doing deployment workup poo poo and farting around at PD. The OOD had ordered a backing bell and everyone in control forgot we were going backwards. We had a planes reversal (controls worked in the opposite direction) and we ended up doing a 56 degree down angle. I thought for sure we were headed right to the bottom but thankfully the Captain climbed into control from his stateroom (yes he had to CLIMB) and yelled at the CoW to blow the forward ballast tanks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Shimazu I'm sure you understand why we don't talk reactorland stuff here.

Old subs used to have twin screws, fairly small, side by side. Newer (American) boats are all one big screw out the boat's centerline. They can also put some serious, serious torque on that screw if you give it the beans. Think of the behavior of, say, a twin-engine Beechcraft vs a P-51 (a race one with clipped wings.)

Think about how that souped-up P-51 is going to react to inadvertent strange angles of attack and what kind of action / response time is needed to recover it. Sort of how a race P-51 flies a few hundred feet off the deck, the sub only has a few hull lengths to move in the vertical before it is either crushed by sea pressure or broaches (which has other dangers.) You could estimate how long this would take, if you cared that much, using publicly available numbers.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I guess the reason the whole thing seems crazy to me is that in my head, it takes a long rear end time to dive to any appreciable depth. But now that I think about it, I have no idea how long it takes to dive to whatever depth or surface.

So in my head I'm picturing the submarines moving very slowly. But then I look at the published speed numbers and.. yeah holy poo poo that's not slow at all. And it's loving UNDERWATER.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

anything that requires immediate split-second reflexes to save the ship have been extensively automated, computerized, and interlocked

Never served on a first flight 688, have you? :v:

ded posted:

If the ship went inverted certain things would become broke in ways that cannot be fixed outside of drydock.
Oil. Oil everywhere. And guess who will have to clean it all up? :mad:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I was looking around on google, because I was sure I'd heard something about inverted submarines in WWII but I couldn't find it. What I did find was this, which looks rather unpleasant to have been in.

Submarines as lawn darts, the game of the future

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
While moving on the surface, can the control surfaces on the tail act as ailerons to counteract roll and keep the boat steadier?

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Wait.. so ballast tanks are open at the bottom?

Why the gently caress is ballast not controlled by some kind of closed system? There is some kind of concept here I'm missing.
Since you can't change the volume of the sub, the only way to control the density is to change the mass. If it was a closed system, the mass would never change.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

While moving on the surface, can the control surfaces on the tail act as ailerons to counteract roll and keep the boat steadier?

No.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Why not?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

grover posted:

Why not?

Because they don't move independently.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Cerekk posted:

Think how much cooler the silent service would be if you could barrel roll your sub.

Air force 1, Navy 0. :saddowns:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Saga posted:

Think how much cooler the silent service would be if you could barrel roll your sub.

Air force 1, Navy 0. :saddowns:

Then again, think how much cooler it is than being in the Air Force

Air Force 1, Navy 37,536,982,187

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Booblord Zagats posted:

Then again, think how much cooler it is than being in the Air Force

Air Force 1, Navy 37,536,982,187

Yes, it sure is cool living in the barracks as an E-5 in the Navy when E-3s in the Air Force can get money to live off base.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ded posted:

Yes, it sure is cool living in the barracks as an E-5 in the Navy when E-3s in the Air Force can get money to live off base.

Still though, not in the Air Force AND you get to hang out with dreamy as gently caress Marines

Air Force 1, Navy 37,536,982,188

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

Booblord Zagats posted:

Still though, not in the Air Force AND you get to hang out with dreamy as gently caress Marines

Air Force 1, Navy 37,536,982,188

All Marines are dreamy, even Veins

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'd never make it in the Air Force, my golf handicap is far too high

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cerekk posted:

Well, that was sort of implied by "no". I was wondering why they weren' designed to move independently- seems like it would be a smart thing to do to maintain stability on the surface as well as redundancy to the fairweather planes for underwater stability.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

grover posted:

Well, that was sort of implied by "no". I was wondering why they weren' designed to move independently- seems like it would be a smart thing to do to maintain stability on the surface as well as redundancy to the fairweather planes for underwater stability.

Because as terrifying as a jam dive casualty is, having the port plane in jam dive while the starboard one goes full rise would manage to be even worse.

A lot of submarine design decisions are based on what the worst possible case is when the thing breaks.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 26, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a sub forced to aileron roll for an entire mission would be the coolest thing in the world for anyone not in the sub

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Independent control surfaces means more mechanical apparatus, more pressure hull penetrations (bad) etc. We probably don't want to get into the physical details. There is delay in control response and I don't see how a human driver could react quickly enough to make it worthwhile; I'm not sure how much purchase the tailplanes have on the surface anyway.

The entire teardrop hull concept is optimized for submerged ops at the cost of surfiace handling. It's not worth design compromises for the short surface transits needed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cerekk posted:

Because as terrifying as a jam dive casualty is, having the port plane in jam dive while the starboard one goes full rise would manage to be even worse.

A lot of submarine design decisions are based on what the worst possible case is when the thing breaks.

I didn't even think that a jammed control surface could even happen to a sub. Couldn't you just kill the props to stop any motion if you were in a jammed dive?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I didn't even think that a jammed control surface could even happen to a sub. Couldn't you just kill the props to stop any motion if you were in a jammed dive?

Everything has an asston of momentum, you don't stop on a dime. Also, think how the controllability of a plane gets if you just cut the engines or reversed thrust.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Just as an example of what I mentioned to Shimazu, let's use the public numbers of 20 knots top speed and 700 feet dive floor. 20kts * 1.15mi/kt * 5280 ft/mi * 1 hr/ 60 min = ~2000 feet / min of speed. Assume the best case depth of 350 ft for max safety margin. Now assume a failed control casualty yielding a 30 degree up/down angle. pulled that number from nowhere because it makes for nice math; namely sin (30) = 0.5 so our vertical rate is 0.5 (2000) or 1000 ft/min. So you have 350/1000 minutes or 21 seconds to identify the casualty and correct before you broach or violate a depth limit.

Now think of the force necessary to crash stop a 7000-15000 ton warship in 21 seconds.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

"Jam dive" ranks up there with "Torpedo in the water" as far as just how hosed you are in sub lingo. A jammed control surface is one the things you would do an emergency blow for. Also there are no "props" on a sub, it's called a SCREW. :chiefsay:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ded posted:

"Jam dive" ranks up there with "Torpedo in the water" as far as just how hosed you are in sub lingo. A jammed control surface is one the things you would do an emergency blow for. Also there are no "props" on a sub, it's called a SCREW. :chiefsay:

There are far worse things than either 'jam dive' or 'torpedo in the water'. I won't go into what these would be for nukes but for instance for sonarmen like ded it would be 'showers secured'

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

WP CURES PALESTINE posted:

All Marines are dreamy, even Veins

I know way too many girls that think this. Two gave me crabs.

One of them was worth it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ded posted:

Sorry! I only speak airplane.

Ya I guess I should've phrased it better as in what would the emergency procedures be for something like that. So like do the guys who actually "drive" the sub have a full motion sim they use or is it OJT stuff?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sorry! I only speak airplane.

Ya I guess I should've phrased it better as in what would the emergency procedures be for something like that. So like do the guys who actually "drive" the sub have a full motion sim they use or is it OJT stuff?

I don't remember the specifics as I was never a control room guy, but it involved switching to backup controls, hitting a backing bell to stop forward movement, and a bunch of other crap.

There are shore based trainers for nearly every drat thing on a sub. I knew how to operate broadband sonar before I ever stepped foot on the boat.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The older boats used off-hull trainers. Stuff like fire control (and probably the sonar stuff) were fairly accurate simulations, while visual navigation training was pretty hokey. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there's no full motion helmsman / planesman trainer.

The Virginia class can put the control room consoles into similation mode and load scenarios onto the real-deal equipment, which is pretty neat; there are a couple vids of this on Youtube. Of course the VA-class control room looks like the bridge of NCC-1701D compared to a 688 conn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
EDIT: Misread your formula.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you guys have religious services on board a sub? Is there a chaplain?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is there any submarine movie better than Das Boot?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

Is there any submarine movie better than Das Boot?

Down Periscope.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Baloogan posted:

Do you guys have religious services on board a sub? Is there a chaplain?

On my boat it was just a super Christian officer that would do some Sunday school thing on Sunday mornings. We had a few people try to use it as an excuse to get out of watch and were told to quit crying about Jesus and so their loving job. It was awesome.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mad Dragon posted:

Down Periscope.

That and Stripes are basically documentaries as far as I'm concerned.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

The older boats used off-hull trainers. Stuff like fire control (and probably the sonar stuff) were fairly accurate simulations, while visual navigation training was pretty hokey. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there's no full motion helmsman / planesman trainer.

The Virginia class can put the control room consoles into similation mode and load scenarios onto the real-deal equipment, which is pretty neat; there are a couple vids of this on Youtube. Of course the VA-class control room looks like the bridge of NCC-1701D compared to a 688 conn.

There was a control room trainer at BESS when I went through it. Planes, BCP, Dive was all there. In Pearl they had a complete trainer that had planes, bcp, dive, navigation , ect everything needed to run a full control room tracking party plus sonar.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ded posted:

There was a control room trainer at BESS when I went through it. Planes, BCP, Dive was all there. In Pearl they had a complete trainer that had planes, bcp, dive, navigation , ect everything needed to run a full control room tracking party plus sonar.

Yeah, but I'm saying I bet it didn't rock back and forth and shake and poo poo like a Six Flags ride or an Air Force trainer

... or did it?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, but I'm saying I bet it didn't rock back and forth and shake and poo poo like a Six Flags ride or an Air Force trainer

... or did it?

Oh like that. No. But all of the ways to do emergency backup stuff was all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do people get seasick on subs? I mean, a ship will roll and pitch based on the waves/winds/currents, so that makes sense. But what forces do subs have acting on them that could cause seasickness? Besides the obvious absence of windows and no way to look at the horizon.

Just thinking with the recirculated air if someone yakked it could cause a pretty awesome chain reaction.

• Locked thread