Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

rjmccall posted:

Clearly you're complaining about GNU whitespace conventions.

I often do, but this isn't GNU coding style, GNU coding style is worse.

This code has the opening brace on the same line for blocks.
GNU style prefers

code:
if (condition)
  {
    stuff
  }
I can see the rationale for it, since a compound statement is still a statement, and the first statement after a control structure is indented, but it's an incredible waste of whitespace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You do realize that "do{ ... } while(false);" is, in other places, a practical and useful construct in C, right? It creates a block around which multiple expressions or statements are still treated as one so as to not disrupt braceless if's.

Sure, if you're writing a macro. Not so much anywhere else.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You do realize that "do{ ... } while(false);" is, in other places, a practical and useful construct in C, right? It creates a block around which multiple expressions or statements are still treated as one so as to not disrupt braceless if's.

The horror was *supposed* to be that this guy was amazingly getting around the "single entry, single exit, no goto" rules by using a do...while (FALSE);, but:

rjmccall posted:

That is a rather awesome mistake; I'm not sure I've seen it before. It takes talent to soldier on against that kind of misparenthesization.

If the clang static analyzer doesn't catch it, you should file a bug. :)

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:. I didn't even see that.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
"Do while false" isn't a coding horror, it's a low-budget and high performance exception handling mechanism used when you find the use of goto a slippery slope. :rolleyes:

VVV To be clear, I didn't know about it either until I went and looked for more examples. Never expected to see it advocated.

Movac fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know it was "a thing". To be honest, we all use goto to do fast exit and cleanups.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Extracting the block out into a separate function would be preferable, especially if you're unit testing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you can use scope-based cleanup instead that's better (either RAII, or using directives, or even just try-finally), but if you can't then goto is really the best option.

Goto has always been the low-level option you turn to if your language doesn't natively support a particular control-flow pattern you want to implement.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Extracting the block out into a separate function would be preferable, especially if you're unit testing.

Show me how you would do that on the code I wrote then.

Jabor posted:

If you can use scope-based cleanup instead that's better (either RAII, or using directives, or even just try-finally), but if you can't then goto is really the best option.

Goto has always been the low-level option you turn to if your language doesn't natively support a particular control-flow pattern you want to implement.

If MSVC (and let's be honest here, SunPro) supported gcc cleanup attributes or an RAII equivalent in C, I'd switch over in heartbeat. It's a nice feature.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Suspicious Dish posted:

Show me how you would do that on the code I wrote then.
C++ code:
image_t *img_load_from_filename(char *filename) {
    FILE *f;
    image_t *ret = NULL;

char *path = path_join(DATADIR, filename);
    if (!path)
        return NULL;

f = fopen(path, "r");
    if (f == NULL)
        return NULL;

ret = read_image(f);

fclose(f);

return ret;
}

image_t *read_image(FILE *f) {
    image_header_t img_header;

if (!img_read_header(&img_header, f))
        return NULL;

ret = malloc(sizeof(image_t) + 8 * img_header.data_size);
    if (ret == NULL)
        return NULL;

if (img_read(ret, f))
        return ret;

free(ret);
    return NULL;
}

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Suspicious Dish posted:

The horror was *supposed* to be that this guy was amazingly getting around the "single entry, single exit, no goto" rules by using a do...while (FALSE);, but:

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:. I didn't even see that.

Came to complain about do/while, shocked when goons found out that his code was horribly broken. The coding horror here is you, Suspicious Dish.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Suspicious Dish posted:

If MSVC (and let's be honest here, SunPro) supported gcc cleanup attributes or an RAII equivalent in C, I'd switch over in heartbeat. It's a nice feature.

Yep, hidden behind appropriate macros it makes for nicer code, the systemd guys use it roughly like this

code:
#define _cleanup_(x) __attribute__((cleanup(x)))

static inline void freep(void *p) {
        free(*(void**) p);
}
#define _cleanup_free_ _cleanup_(freep)

int somefunc(void) {
    _cleanup_free_ int *array = NULL;

if (somecondition) {
        array = calloc(20, sizeof(int));
    }

return 0;
}

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Edit: Ugh, never mind, the coding horror is me.

floWenoL fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sedro posted:

code:
ret = malloc (sizeof (image_t)) + 8 * img_header.data_size;
Edit: but the coding horror is do ... while (false)

Wow, there are some layers, here. At first I thought that if you changed while(false) to while(success) that it would fix the code, but then I realized that it just creates an infinite loop when success becomes TRUE. Then I realized that the programmer intentionally did this to make the code flow in a specific way; he wanted the code chunk in the do/while loop to run exactly once, but he also wanted to be able to break out of it and then run some other cleanup code if anything went wrong. There are better ways to do this, but breaking the do/while loop does give the desired flow. Neat

e: Or what everyone above me said, that'll teach me to read further before posting. This is the kind of thing that you do when you want a single point of return and aren't comfortable with passing pointers, I guess.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2013

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The thing also leaves the file open if some errors happen and opens the file in (probably) the wrong mode.

The sensible thing is just to use gotos for the control flow instead of making a funnylooking goto out of do...while and break:

code:
image_t* img_load_from_filename(const char* filename)
{
    FILE* f = NULL;
    boolean success = FALSE;
    image_t* ret = NULL;

const char* path = path_join(DATADIR, filename);
    if (path == NULL)
        goto exit;

f = fopen(path, "rb");
    if (f == NULL)
       goto exit;

if (!img_read_header(&img_header, f))
       goto exit;

ret = malloc(sizeof(image_t) + 8*img_header.data_size);
    if (ret == NULL)
        goto exit;

if (!img_read (ret, f))
        goto exit;

success = TRUE;
exit:
    if (f != NULL)
        fclose(f);

if (!success)
    {
        free(ret);
        ret = NULL;
    }

return ret;
}

Room Temperature
Oct 16, 2007

mildly amusing
Funny how even after going to the trouble of using the single run loop as a ghetto goto for a cleanup block they still managed to miss some things to clean up. Well, without seeing the implementation of path_join I can't be sure, but it seems likely that path needs to be freed at some point.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

C++ code:
    do {
        success = TRUE;
    } while (FALSE);

if (!success && ret != NULL) {
This guy likes Pascal right?

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

The sensible thing is just to use gotos for the control flow instead of making a funnylooking goto out of do...while and break:

No need for gotos or breaks

code:
image_t* img_load_from_filename (const char *filename)
{
    FILE* f = NULL;
    image_t* ret = NULL;
    const char* path;

if (!(path = path_join(DATADIR, filename))
        || !(f = fopen(path, "rb"))
        || !img_read_header(&img_header, f)
        || !(ret = malloc(sizeof(image_t) + 8 * img_header.data_size))
        || !img_read(ret, f))
    {
        free(ret);
        ret = NULL;
    }

if (f)
        fclose(f);

return ret;
}
(Yes, I'm the horror, etc)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Side effects? Not in my conditionals.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
My favorite part is the segfault when one of the early conditionals fails. It's the little touches...

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

mjau posted:

No need for gotos or breaks

code:
image_t* img_load_from_filename (const char *filename)
{
    FILE* f = NULL;
    image_t* ret = NULL;
    const char* path;

if (!(path = path_join(DATADIR, filename))
        || !(f = fopen(path, "rb"))
        || !img_read_header(&img_header, f)
        || !(ret = malloc(sizeof(image_t) + 8 * img_header.data_size))
        || !img_read(ret, f))
    {
        free(ret);
        ret = NULL;
    }

if (f)
        fclose(f);

return ret;
}
(Yes, I'm the horror, etc)

For some reason, the thing that bothers me the most here is just the lack of use of De Morgan's Law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do while false really isn't that horrific a construct as weird C things go. Still grimace every time I see it used but I can't get too worked up about it.

That malloc line is a classic C horror though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite part is the segfault when one of the early conditionals fails. It's the little touches...

It looks technically correct (the best kind of correct) to me. The conditionals are required to short circuit out as soon as one is true, so the later ones never run.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Huh, I thought free(NULL); would segfault, but it seems it's entirely safe. I didn't know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh, I thought free(NULL); would segfault, but it seems it's entirely safe. I didn't know.

Why do something like 90% of C and C++ programmers not know how malloc, new, free and delete work?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I know how malloc and free work, I just didn't expect free to allow NULL as a special case, since to me it's an invalid input (you can't free a null pointer after all) and the C library typically just says "if you pass in an invalid input, it's your fault". But perhaps the utility of having unguarded frees is so convenient that they put it in there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Suspicious Dish posted:

I know how malloc and free work, I just didn't expect free to allow NULL as a special case, since to me it's an invalid input (you can't free a null pointer after all) and the C library typically just says "if you pass in an invalid input, it's your fault". But perhaps the utility of having unguarded frees is so convenient that they put it in there.
You can also realloc a null pointer and you can free a pointer by reallocing it to zero.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah. In your defense, I do agree that it's opposite of what you would expect from C (and delete in C++). Undefined behavior for a null pointer would be more in line with the design philosophy.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Coding horror: a C++ code base where the author doesn't realize delete, like malloc, works with nulls. He then proceeds to manage all his memory manually, with null checks around the deletes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Scaevolus posted:

Coding horror: a C++ code base where the author doesn't realize delete, like malloc, works with nulls. He then proceeds to manage all his memory manually, with null checks around the deletes.

Ehhh, not realizing that delete works with nulls isn't a horror. Maybe you could describe some of the manual memory management? Is it particularly horrible or is the null checking the part that you find horrible?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I know how malloc and free work, I just didn't expect free to allow NULL as a special case,

code:
MALLOC(3)                BSD Library Functions Manual                MALLOC(3)

NAME
     calloc, free, malloc, realloc, reallocf, valloc -- memory allocation

SYNOPSIS
     #include <stdlib.h>

void *
     calloc(size_t count, size_t size);

void
     free(void *ptr);

void *
     malloc(size_t size);

void *
     realloc(void *ptr, size_t size);

void *
     reallocf(void *ptr, size_t size);

DESCRIPTION
     The malloc(), calloc(), valloc(), realloc(), and reallocf() functions
     allocate memory.  The allocated memory is aligned such that it can be
     used for any data type, including AltiVec- and SSE-related types.  The
     free() function frees allocations that were created via the preceding
     allocation functions.

The malloc() function allocates size bytes of memory and returns a
     pointer to the allocated memory.
    The free() function deallocates the memory allocation pointed to by ptr.
     If ptr is a NULL pointer, no operation is performed.
Two sentences.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Ehhh, not realizing that delete works with nulls isn't a horror. Maybe you could describe some of the manual memory management? Is it particularly horrible or is the null checking the part that you find horrible?
When this repeats for 20 members:
code:
if (mMember1 != NULL) {
    delete[] mMember1;
    }
if (mMember2 != NULL) {
    delete mMember2;
    }
It's pretty ugly and unnecessary.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Scaevolus posted:

When this repeats for 20 members:
code:
if (mMember1 != NULL) {
    delete[] mMember1;
    }
if (mMember2 != NULL) {
    delete mMember2;
    }
It's pretty ugly and unnecessary.

argh, one quick function would have solved all that.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Isn't mMembers 1 through 20 is the real horror?

Or perhaps codebases that feel the need to delete something that possibly doesn't exist?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Isn't mMembers 1 through 20 is the real horror?

Or perhaps codebases that feel the need to delete something that possibly doesn't exist?

I'd hope that that is for example.

(also: use smart pointers)

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

evensevenone posted:

Nothing wrong with that. A smart pointer itself being an example.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
At the place I used to work, people couldnt be arsed reading the delete documentation so they made a template function to delete pointers
code:
template <typename T>
delete_pointer<T x> {
    if (x != NULL) {
        delete x;
    }
}
Of course, the same people who couldnt be arsed reading the standard library docs sure as hell couldn't be arsed reading our own docs, so people used it like so
code:
if (y != NULL){
    delete_pointer(y);
}

Jewel
May 2, 2009

awesmoe posted:

At the place I used to work, people couldnt be arsed reading the delete documentation so they made a template function to delete pointers
code:
template <typename T>
delete_pointer<T x> {
    if (x != NULL) {
        delete x;
    }
}
Of course, the same people who couldnt be arsed reading the standard library docs sure as hell couldn't be arsed reading our own docs, so people used it like so
code:
if (y != NULL){
    delete_pointer(y);
}

Three checks if the pointer is null. Gotta really check hard. Just in case. It's the most important part of any program I'll have you know! One time I didn't check if a pointer was null and my computer completely destroyed itself.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I simply can't fathom how large C++ applications and 3D games can even function, given how insanely complex C/C++ is, notably with regards to memory allocation. My hat goes off (or condolences?) to those to can make it work. Does anyone actually think C++ is fine and dandy, or would you/they prefer a more modern language with GC, a simple and useful standard library, etc., if they had the choice?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

I simply can't fathom how large C++ applications and 3D games can even function, given how insanely complex C/C++ is, notably with regards to memory allocation. My hat goes off (or condolences?) to those to can make it work. Does anyone actually think C++ is fine and dandy, or would you/they prefer a more modern language with GC, a simple and useful standard library, etc., if they had the choice?

GC is frustrating and unpredictable and limited, RAII is much, much simpler than GC, c++ is fine wrt memory management as long as people don't write code like it's 1994. The standard library is incredibly limited but they're working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pilsner posted:

Well one of the reasons you would use C++ is because you don't want GC if you're writing stuff that performs well.

It isn't that hard to make stuff not leak - if you're calling new or free or malloc this day an edge and aren't working on embedded software, you're doing poo poo wrong. Smart pointers and referenced counted smart pointers can handle everything for you, but the problem is that everyone has their own convention - your company needs to pick a convention for how to deal with memory allocation, have tools that enforce this convention on check in, and you need to run static analysis tools.