Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I notice that if I eat a low carb diet to cut weight then eat a bunch of wheat products that I poo poo my brains out afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've done a low carb diet in the past. I'm talking <60 per day. The cravings were so food specific. It wasn't like a, "I'm hungry for anything." They were a, "I FCOULD CRUSH ABOUT 3 POUNDS OF PASTA RIGHT NOW"

Was really low energy though. Dragging rear end for days.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've done a low carb diet in the past. I'm talking <60 per day. The cravings were so food specific. It wasn't like a, "I'm hungry for anything." They were a, "I FCOULD CRUSH ABOUT 3 POUNDS OF PASTA RIGHT NOW"

Was really low energy though. Dragging rear end for days.

I recently went under 50 carbs a day for 3 weeks. The first week was a god drat nightmare. After about 9 days my body seemed to adjust to it. After those 3 weeks were over and I ate a big rear end bowl of wheat pasta, I went to the gym with a stupid amount of energy. I felt like the god drat hulk for a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone done ketosis? poo poo's gotta be so bad for your liver.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There have been studies of keto diets and AFAIK, most of the issues with them are unfounded.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Low carb diet is loving stupid for anyone who does even a bit of cardio in their routine, unless your vision of cardio is walking around the block. Your body can become more efficient to burn fats so after a while of low carb dieting, which is fine if you're not getting your heart rate up. Once you hit a certain threshold your body will start to pretty much give up on anything high intensity.

Gluten free diet makes a ton of sense, and I feel 100 times better when I abstain from wheat products... It's really not that difficult to find stuff that tastes decent and not want to pull your hair out because you're eating broccoli and fish for the 50th night in a row.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://imgur.com/a/FlRQI

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
drat I cardio way too much =/

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I don't do enough and I can't get the 6 pack of my dreams.

Forever bulk.

Bulked up quite a bit to 180 from the 168 I was a few months back and now trying to cut. Jesus Christ it's miserable. Attempting to eat as healthy as possible really loving sucks. If I eat another piece of fish I think I will puke. Thank god I have a mission coming up soon. Atleast digging for a few hours a day + lifting at night will lean me up.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 17, 2013

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

that was one of the funniest drat things I've ever read. thank you

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Ran a 290 PFT today. First time hitting 20 pullups, first time running sub-20 minutes on the run. Feels pretty fuckin' great.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

brothertim posted:

that was one of the funniest drat things I've ever read. thank you

There needs to be a comic like that based on anything with DMAA in it. I remember a few years back when I first took it, I felt like the loving Juggernaut. In retrospect, I'm pretty glad I stopped taking it. I felt twitchy all day using that poo poo.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

Kaliber posted:

The only people who saids insanity or P90x is a good tool for fitness is people who don't work out/eat healthy to begin with. It's great if you're a couch potato, but not if you're in decent shape. Weight lifting and sprints is all a man needs.

I just rediscovered the row machine and remembered why I love it so much. That thing is amazing.

P90x is incredibly overpriced/overhyped but the core principles of muscle confusion are well documented. You can get much of the same effect without buying into P90x, just incorporate basic muscle confusion into your workouts. For example before a leg day, spend some time visualizing leg workouts and getting psychologically pumped up to work your legs, and then at the very last minute switch to a shoulder workout (don't think about the shoulders beforehand to maximize muscle confusion). I have a whole bunch of little tricks I use to up the intensity.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

nous_ posted:

P90x is incredibly overpriced/overhyped but the core principles of muscle confusion are well documented. You can get much of the same effect without buying into P90x, just incorporate basic muscle confusion into your workouts. For example before a leg day, spend some time visualizing leg workouts and getting psychologically pumped up to work your legs, and then at the very last minute switch to a shoulder workout (don't think about the shoulders beforehand to maximize muscle confusion). I have a whole bunch of little tricks I use to up the intensity.

I thought about doing chest today, and then I did squats instead. Muscles so confused.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

nous_ posted:

P90x is incredibly overpriced/overhyped but the core principles of muscle confusion are well documented. You can get much of the same effect without buying into P90x, just incorporate basic muscle confusion into your workouts. For example before a leg day, spend some time visualizing leg workouts and getting psychologically pumped up to work your legs, and then at the very last minute switch to a shoulder workout (don't think about the shoulders beforehand to maximize muscle confusion).I have a whole bunch of little tricks I use to up the intensity.

Pretty sure that article was talking about varying exercises, weights, and reps; not actually trying to pull a fast one over some muscle fibers or some poo poo with like a mental feint.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

nous_ posted:

What you're describing are "muscle fake-outs" and are the one thing fitness companies don't want you to see!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
That explains why assholes curl in the squat rack

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
lol at the last five posts.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Ikarus posted:

What you're describing are "muscle fake-outs" and are the one thing fitness companies don't want you to see!

That's that program created by the guy trainers hate, right? You don't even need his book, just do these weird 7 tips you'll never believe...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
lol I got your number today, delts!!!!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Same thing works with your job. If you think you're gonna be a plumber today, but you go to your regular job, you create brain confusion which makes you even more competent at your job due to adaptations of brain confusion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I was going through my log last night. The first weight lifting session I had done a year ago to the date ended with 6x290 deadlift.

One year of busting my rear end paid off. Just pulled 10x390. Pretty happy about that.

Edit: didn't have to pull a fast one over my hamstrings either.

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 22, 2013

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

So I was going through my log last night. The first weight lifting session I had done a year ago to the date ended with 6x290 deadlift.

One year of busting my rear end paid off. Just pulled 10x390. Pretty happy about that.

Edit: didn't have to pull a fast one over my hamstrings either.

Not too shabby. I can't do deadlifts for a few more days (weeks?) because I was a retard and pulled my hamstring doing sprints two weeks ago. I don't get any kind of pain when I'm walking around, but as soon as I start running or put any kind of stress on it I almost fall over. Somehow I can still do squats with zero issues :iiam:.

I wish I had started logging my stuff earlier. This summer marks about two years of fairly steady lifting, and I'll never forget when I started I couldn't bench 135 more than once or twice, or deadlift 135 more than 10 times. All I did before than was run. Ugh.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

smertrioslol posted:

Not too shabby. I can't do deadlifts for a few more days (weeks?) because I was a retard and pulled my hamstring doing sprints two weeks ago. I don't get any kind of pain when I'm walking around, but as soon as I start running or put any kind of stress on it I almost fall over. Somehow I can still do squats with zero issues :iiam:.

I wish I had started logging my stuff earlier. This summer marks about two years of fairly steady lifting, and I'll never forget when I started I couldn't bench 135 more than once or twice, or deadlift 135 more than 10 times. All I did before than was run. Ugh.

I found my baby's first logbook and my bench max was like 100, squat was around 150 and deadlift was right at 180. I also couldn't do a single pullup. It is good to see progress over time!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Congrats on the progress dudes!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

If a red panda can do a strict pull up, so can you. Kipping is for assholes.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
How fast should I be able to ruck for Marine OCS? I did 12 miles in ~3:10 with 90 pounds on my back - ruck more?

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 27, 2013

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
50 minutes per 3 miles with a 10 minute break each hour, longest hike's 12 miles, 60-70ish lbs ruck. You should be fine. You been on hills or flat ground? Because Quantico is hilly.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

If a red panda can do a strict pull up, so can you. Kipping is for assholes.

The kipping pullup has many benefits over the dead hang/strict pullup.

Firstly, one can generate more power in the kipping pullup. Power is Force multiplied by distance over time. (Power = Force*Distance/Time). You can generate more power because the amount of force being used is greater, you are going over the same (or more distance) in much less time rep for rep.

In training, power is directly correlated to strength increases. In fact, it is the metric that is MOST correlated to the rate of strength increases over time. That means if you train kipping pullups you will gain more strength faster than if you do deadhangs. If you train kippings, your dead hang max will increase as well as your kipping max. If you train dead hangs then your dead hang max will increase but your kippings will sorely lag behind them. That means that u can brag to your bodybuilding friends that you can do more pullups than them...both ways...even if they say ur kipping pullup is "cheating"

Secondly, kipping trains multiple movements, whereas dead hangs only train a pulling movement. Kipping pullups, when done properly, will train hip flexion and extension which is crucial to life, especially parkour. Mostly, the kip will train your hip extensions and get your hip extensions in much better coordination with the rest of your body to generate the most amount of force needed in key movements like kip ups, dash vaults, vertical leaps, flight from an underbar, etc. Examine your moves in parkour on video and oyu will see that many of them involve an explosive hip extension that is trained rigorously through kipping pullups. Strict/dead hangs simply do not provide this benefit.

I could probably write a volume on the benefit of kips over dead hangs, but i think that you have a good idea of what the main beneifts are. If you want to do dead hangs, you should try L-sit pullups. Maintain an L-sit and perform the pullup, you will find that this is much more difficult as whole muscle groups are deactivated when they are used to hold your legs in L-sit position. It gives a good isometric workout just as a L-sit hang would, plus adds the benefit of isolated back workouts.

I would train kipping pullups above all else, and work in L-sit pullups and dead hangs just once in a while.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
think kaliber is broken

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaliber posted:

Firstly, one can generate more power in the kipping pullup. Power is Force multiplied by distance over time. (Power = Force*Distance/Time). You can generate more power because the amount of force being used is greater, you are going over the same (or more distance) in much less time rep for rep.

In training, power is directly correlated to strength increases. In fact, it is the metric that is MOST correlated to the rate of strength increases over time. That means if you train kipping pullups you will gain more strength faster than if you do deadhangs. If you train kippings, your dead hang max will increase as well as your kipping max. If you train dead hangs then your dead hang max will increase but your kippings will sorely lag behind them. That means that u can brag to your bodybuilding friends that you can do more pullups than them...both ways...even if they say ur kipping pullup is "cheating"

Secondly, kipping trains multiple movements, whereas dead hangs only train a pulling movement. Kipping pullups, when done properly, will train hip flexion and extension which is crucial to life, especially parkour. Mostly, the kip will train your hip extensions and get your hip extensions in much better coordination with the rest of your body to generate the most amount of force needed in key movements like kip ups, dash vaults, vertical leaps, flight from an underbar, etc. Examine your moves in parkour on video and oyu will see that many of them involve an explosive hip extension that is trained rigorously through kipping pullups. Strict/dead hangs simply do not provide this benefit.

I could probably write a volume on the benefit of kips over dead hangs, but i think that you have a good idea of what the main beneifts are. If you want to do dead hangs, you should try L-sit pullups. Maintain an L-sit and perform the pullup, you will find that this is much more difficult as whole muscle groups are deactivated when they are used to hold your legs in L-sit position. It gives a good isometric workout just as a L-sit hang would, plus adds the benefit of isolated back workouts.

I would train kipping pullups above all else, and work in L-sit pullups and dead hangs just once in a while.

pls make this + muscle confusion into a youtube video with you in women's boyshorts (why they're boyshorts when worn by women is beyond me) and catchy "dubstep" electronic music

thanks in advance

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Kaliber posted:

No.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kaliber posted:

It explodes your shoulder far quicker.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Wear down your rotator cuff in weeks with just this one exercise that athletic trainers don't want you to know about!

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

CrossFit is gay. I got that from some douche at a CrossFit™ forum.

When I'm forced to do unit crossfit Wednesday I wear girl shorts and a Pug face shirt. I got my shorts in Thailand at the lady boy section and hike them up as far as they will go when I crossfit in them. The ladies all want me. I even had sailors whistle and do cat calls when I crossfit pass them. They're so gay.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2013

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Kips are bullshit because people who can do kips usually can't do deadhangs. I saw some dude at the applied fitness center at Hood yesterday struggle to do a single deadhang, but he knocked out a shitload of kips by swinging his fatass over the bar.

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
CrossFitters have been slowly taking over the local YMCA. I've never seen such weird moves. Running headstart pullups, overextended curl ups, dudes jumping onto platforms. Before it was just weirdos trying to do handstand pushups and old dudes letting one rip near in my vicinity. They don't even do enough of these moves in a row to be considered much of a workout, it's like I'm a spectator watching some dudes with a Blackbelt in CrossFit.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That's just the MUSCLE CONFUSION brah, it looks like crazy spastic flailings to the untrained eye.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

overdesigned posted:

50 minutes per 3 miles with a 10 minute break each hour, longest hike's 12 miles, 60-70ish lbs ruck. You should be fine. You been on hills or flat ground? Because Quantico is hilly.

Alright, good to hear. It's fairly hilly around my house, and I make sure to hit the biggest hill around here (something like a 30ish incline for 500m) 3 times in the 4 mile loop. I use my framed hiking pack, is that close enough for the gear I'd get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Kaliber posted:

CrossFit is gay. I got that from some douche at a CrossFit™ forum.

Awesome. We seriously thought you were broken.

Every Crossfitter I know tries to justify kipping pullups by saying that "in a realworld situation where you need to pull yourself up, you're going to use momentum and your whole body." My opinion is that I'd rather be able to do deadhangs so that when I used my entire body in that situation, I wouldn't be screwed if I couldn't get the momentum to "kip".