Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Lorak posted:

The same half, or the other one?

I meant again as in "Chicago already got obliterated during the war, and we obliterated it again, but only half of it opposed to the whole thing". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sansuki
May 17, 2003

M.Ciaster posted:

I meant again as in "Chicago already got obliterated during the war, and we obliterated it again, but only half of it opposed to the whole thing". :v:

Zeno's paradox via explosions. What is the smallest Chicago you can have?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So another wonderful day in the game of The Temple of Elemental Evil.

A couple of us sneaky types make it down the ladder in the moathouse dungeon just fine, in fact, so fine that nobody notices anything. Even the druid, who gets lowered down on a rope, manages to not be seen or heard.

That just leaves our cleric. Our full-plate, encumbered cleric. He fails the climb roll miserably, makes the acrobatics check so he doesn't break his neck, and then passes the bluff check to make a crazy claim: he's here because he's the ladder repairman. And it's quite obvious this ladder is in dire need of repair.

After the DM stops dying of laughter long enough, we're told there's someone in breastplate tromping their way towards the group angrily, cursing in Abyssal the whole way. Turns out he's a half-drow cleric. Since our cleric of Pelor took damage on the fall down that ladder, he manages to convince the half-drow to heal him.

In the meantime, I've stealthed close enough to pull a sneak attack with my Sun Blade and +1 Rapier, downing him after he fails his massive damage fort save. I then roll high enough on my stealth that nobody even sees me do it, they think the guy just dropped dead.

Cleric tells the remaining human minions that the ladder is in such bad disrepair that it obviously is what killed their cleric.

One of our stealthed sorcerers pulls out a Burning Hands and gets the minions, but they're still alive. It's obviously the wrath of the ladder gods now.

It's just so beautiful how our cleric always manages to roll high on his bluff on the most ridiculous poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You gotta watch out for those ladder gods, man. They'll burn you to death in an instant. It's a good thing there was a licensed repairman there to calm things down or it could've gotten really ugly.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

sansuki posted:

Zeno's paradox via explosions. What is the smallest Chicago you can have?

I don't know, but it sure is irradiated.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Well, one time in Warhammer Fantasy RPG, my group accepted a quest to kill a dwarf diplomat who was going to deliver a proposal of peace to the elves (keep in mind we were quite new to this sort of game).

We had to wait for the dwarf at night in the middle of the town square. Inexperienced as we were, we made a lot of noise while dealing with the dwarf and started hearing the city guard coming. We dragged the body of the now deceased dwarf to one of the merchants tents , trying not to be seen. Well, the guards easily found where we were and started approaching the tent. Then the following conversation happened:

GM - So, what do you do?

(everyone out of ideas)

Player 1 - I start sucking Player 2 cock!

Player 2 - Yea-wait what?! No!

Player 1 - Yes!

(everyone stares perplexed to Player 1)

And so, the city guard entered a tent, looking at a dwarf trying to take the pants of a wizard to suck his cock, over a dead dwarf body, while everyone else quietly watches. Obviously we were arrested, but the countess agreed to free us if one of us would fight in a duel for her. The one who fought ended up losing an arm, but it was worth it :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oglaf The RPG

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Camoes posted:

Well, one time in Warhammer Fantasy RPG, my group accepted a quest to kill a dwarf diplomat who was going to deliver a proposal of peace to the elves (keep in mind we were quite new to this sort of game).

We had to wait for the dwarf at night in the middle of the town square. Inexperienced as we were, we made a lot of noise while dealing with the dwarf and started hearing the city guard coming. We dragged the body of the now deceased dwarf to one of the merchants tents , trying not to be seen. Well, the guards easily found where we were and started approaching the tent. Then the following conversation happened:

GM - So, what do you do?

(everyone out of ideas)

Player 1 - I start sucking Player 2 cock!

Player 2 - Yea-wait what?! No!

Player 1 - Yes!

(everyone stares perplexed to Player 1)

And so, the city guard entered a tent, looking at a dwarf trying to take the pants of a wizard to suck his cock, over a dead dwarf body, while everyone else quietly watches. Obviously we were arrested, but the countess agreed to free us if one of us would fight in a duel for her. The one who fought ended up losing an arm, but it was worth it :v:

I... what? :psyduck:

Did player one think that the guards were going to be grossed out and leave?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Volmarias posted:

As the guy above you posted, Oglaf the RPG.

(NWS)
http://oglaf.com/sanctuary/

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I had a group do something sort of similar once and get away with it.

They're a bunch of supernaturally enhanced investigators trying to find an item in the British Museum that's been killing random people. One of them, Johnny Necroleptic, has the power to die and come back again. The plan is to use this by having him die, talk to the ghosts of people who've died in the museum, and get some clues.

Except what Johnny hasn't told his colleagues is that he doesn't just fall over dead or something, someone's going to have to kill him. Johnny and George "The Living Jinx" Fortune go into a disabled bathroom while Mark Two (A slightly stupid combat robot in human skin) waits outside. Johnny whips out a knife and hands it to George, tells George to stab him. George freaks out because this is the first he's heard of needing to do this, and he's terrified of violence. There's a bit of confusion, Johnny eventually manages to get stabbed and George freaks out and starts screaming.

Mark Two hears the screams, assumes something has gone wrong, and punches the door in to be confronted by the sight of a screaming George waving a bloody knife and Johnny lying in a pool of blood. He also didn't know about the stabbing requirement and jumps to the worst conclusion: George has gone crazy and needs to be knocked out.

Naturally all this draws the attention of museum security who come to see what the hell is going on. You have a huge hulking guy choking out a screaming nervous chap with a knife, and a dead body on the floor. This doesn't look good. Until Johnny, aware of what's happening, returns to his body and comes back to life and begins to explain:
"Oh, I, I'm sorry. It's a sex thing you see. Yes. We were... well, it's embarassing but we didn't think the door would open like that. I have some very specific fetishes and we really didn't mean to cause any harm or be seen by anyone..."

He carries on in this vein for a bit and manages to keep the guards confused and horrified long enough for the final party member to arrive and fix things with a spot of memory wiping.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Exculpatrix posted:

I had a group do something sort of similar once and get away with it.

"Oh, I, I'm sorry. It's a sex thing you see. Yes. We were... well, it's embarassing but we didn't think the door would open like that. I have some very specific fetishes and we really didn't mean to cause any harm or be seen by anyone..."

Well, the difference is that there's "Oh uh no chancellor this is totally not a +2 Vorpal Dagger stuffed up my rogue buddy's butt, he's just into this kinda thing" calling something a sex thing, and then there's a plain ol' "What do I roll to windmill my dick in front of Elminster?" sex thing.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Volmarias posted:

The idea was to make the guards think we didn't have anything to do with the noises, we were there just for the sex show (even though the sex show had a dead dwarf in the middle).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
And I felt awkward about having my characters visit a strip club. Huh.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So many emotions from reading this thread: amusement, disgust, horror, fear...mostly I'm just happy that most of my gaming experiences pale in comparison to some of the horrors detailed here. I have had very few truly bad experiences and plenty of memorable moments.

My current group is great for those, so I figure I'll post a few of their stories once I have the time. For now, something to whet the appetite:

This is a Pathfinder game set in Eberron (eventually converted over to Savage Worlds). The PCs have just hired an airship to head to Xendrik. However, over the course of the last several sessions they've made several enemies and I had plans for a few chickens to come home to roost. I had to handle this before they left though because by the time they returned these sort of threats would probably seem fairly lame.

So, I decide to have all their enemies spring an ambush simultaneously as they're leaving on the airship. As they're departing Karnathi Skeletons mounted on giant, undead bats swoop in from one direction, a team of halfling archers mounted on giant owls fly in from another. While this is going on a magical portal opens on deck and begins disgorging Chuul, summoned by the guild of Starlight and Shadows.

So the fight is intense but not especially memorable beyond one moment. You see the party's warforged artificer notices the ballista set up at the front of the airship. He rushes up to the ballista and starts to load it, he's got it winched back but no bolt loaded when one of the other PCs takes down a halfling's owl mount. The halfling assassin manages an acrobatic leap off the owl and lands on top of the ballista, ready to start slicing up the warforged.

So, the warforged just pulls the lever, firing the ballista. I figure that it's not that tough for the halfling to spot what's coming and leap off. I give him a Reflex save which he completely botches. So, he's caught by the ballista cord and is launched into the air, the warforged argues that he should try and hit one of the other flyers with the launched assassin. When in doubt I let him roll and he gets a natural 20, rolls to confirm and gets another natural 20.

So, he fires a halfling, hitting a giant owl in the skull, killing it and sending the owl, it's rider and the original halfling plummeting like a rock into the lower levels of Sharn.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

oriongates posted:

So many emotions from reading this thread: amusement, disgust, horror, fear...mostly I'm just happy that most of my gaming experiences pale in comparison to some of the horrors detailed here. I have had very few truly bad experiences and plenty of memorable moments.

My current group is great for those, so I figure I'll post a few of their stories once I have the time. For now, something to whet the appetite:

This is a Pathfinder game set in Eberron (eventually converted over to Savage Worlds). The PCs have just hired an airship to head to Xendrik. However, over the course of the last several sessions they've made several enemies and I had plans for a few chickens to come home to roost. I had to handle this before they left though because by the time they returned these sort of threats would probably seem fairly lame.

So, I decide to have all their enemies spring an ambush simultaneously as they're leaving on the airship. As they're departing Karnathi Skeletons mounted on giant, undead bats swoop in from one direction, a team of halfling archers mounted on giant owls fly in from another. While this is going on a magical portal opens on deck and begins disgorging Chuul, summoned by the guild of Starlight and Shadows.

So the fight is intense but not especially memorable beyond one moment. You see the party's warforged artificer notices the ballista set up at the front of the airship. He rushes up to the ballista and starts to load it, he's got it winched back but no bolt loaded when one of the other PCs takes down a halfling's owl mount. The halfling assassin manages an acrobatic leap off the owl and lands on top of the ballista, ready to start slicing up the warforged.

So, the warforged just pulls the lever, firing the ballista. I figure that it's not that tough for the halfling to spot what's coming and leap off. I give him a Reflex save which he completely botches. So, he's caught by the ballista cord and is launched into the air, the warforged argues that he should try and hit one of the other flyers with the launched assassin. When in doubt I let him roll and he gets a natural 20, rolls to confirm and gets another natural 20.

So, he fires a halfling, hitting a giant owl in the skull, killing it and sending the owl, it's rider and the original halfling plummeting like a rock into the lower levels of Sharn.

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTccvj0gc58

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I keep getting new favorite roleplaying game moments.

Here's my new one. Finally... I've killed a PC. First time. I've been DMing for 5 months. I have a monk in my party who is a rule lawyer. I caught him lying about his grappling role as he attempted to grapple a mindflayer. I've killed 2 of them before, one of them twice, but not the one that could stabilize them after they won combat... And I still haven't, yet.

I told them going in, this will be an area where you can die in this game. And an area where you can not be revived by a simple raise dead spell. Then they finally, after 5 months of weekly sessions, fought the mind-flayers I'd been teasing since before the game started. And like the spider to the fly, I ate my best friend's brain.

Oh god. It's like the orgasm that doesn't stop. Oh god his tears taste like artisanal chocolates mixed with beyond my league pussy juice. They are so good. He tried to grapple a mind-flayer and then lie about his own pluses. And then I ate his brains. Oh god. I can taste his brains. It's like filet mignon in beyond my league pussy juice with onions and mush-rooms.

What I'm saying is, D&D taught me the pleasure of killing my friends, hail Satan.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Traditional Games > Good, Bad, I'm the one with the beyond my league pussy juice.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Traditional Games > Good, Bad, I'm the one with the beyond my league pussy juice.

Yes. Please, this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jesus Christ. That post makes me want to sympathize with the monk and/or blank every post I've made on this site.

It's like finding out the Red Cross is a violent separatist movement and I just sent them three months rent.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Um...

Don't be a lying rule lawyer who does stupid loving things like attempt to grapple a mind flayer.

I'm of the belief, people don't die in D&D unless they do something stupid. That's a pretty stupid thing to do. I went by die roles. When a mindflayer has you grappled in it's 4 tentacles, it has to wait until the next round to extract your brain. Instead of aiding him in grapple, or sundering the tentacles, they tried to kill the mindflayer, all 5 other players, and they failed... Two of them were mind-blasted, gently caress those guys, poo poo happens. Instead of helping them, they made the wrong move. Instead of breaking the grapple of just one of the tentacles, the 10th level monk decided to flurry, and then he rolled two ones, then confirmed them, and I gave him the choice of hitting his compatriot or losing a flurry strike, and he decided twice to hit his compatriot... I ate his loving brain, and would of eaten his brain before he embarrassed himself. Get yourself a real DM and test the measure of your nuts and or ovaries.

Then, I recommend, you don't stop combat constantly to correct him with completely incorrect calculations.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 28, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
yeah you sure showed that jerk for the other players not wanting to deal with the grapple rolls, how dare they not have memorised the monster manual to know that they should've also attempted a grapple with the mind flayer (but remember the guy who already grapple rolled is the bad guy here and also he's a rules lawyering jerk for knowing what's in the MM)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

God Of Paradise posted:

Oh god. It's like the orgasm that doesn't stop. Oh god his tears taste like artisanal chocolates mixed with beyond my league pussy juice. They are so good. He tried to grapple a mind-flayer and then lie about his own pluses. And then I ate his brains. Oh god. I can taste his brains. It's like filet mignon in beyond my league pussy juice with onions and mush-rooms.

Pidmon posted:

yeah you sure showed that jerk for the other players not wanting to deal with the grapple rolls, how dare they not have memorised the monster manual to know that they should've also attempted a grapple with the mind flayer (but remember the guy who already grapple rolled is the bad guy here and also he's a rules lawyering jerk for knowing what's in the MM)

Hey, dont be too hard on him. 14 is a tough age, and at least now hes interacting with some people, that's got his mom of his back at least.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I have to admit I sometimes take great pleasure in managing to down a player, but we try to make the majority of the fun them actually winning and beating me. Actually, not me, but the villain, the story, the whole thing. I read something here a while back here, I think by Liesmith, about how there are DMs who are seen as the enemy and others that are guys who work together with players to tell an awesome story. I was always the enemy and never realized it until I read that. Most of my games weren't about how to make them shine, but how to counter their powers so they had it difficult. I was a bad DM =(

So, for the latest campaign, I changed everything. No more powerful lord always telling them they must do things and threatening them or being disappointed no matter how hard they tried, but farmers glad that the pirates were taken care of having a pie baking contest with the players the judges, etc. When they mess up they get to explain themselves and whoever they work with sympathizes.

I still laugh when they trigger a crossbow trap and the first shot crits the Wizard, but now I also high five them when they use Diabloic Grasp fighting on an airship to throw a Goblin Shaman overboard. Yes, it should have been difficult to close a demon spawning pit deep in the Dwarf Mines that a Tiefling Pyromancer opened and is using to build an army, but when they Acid Arrow him in the face and he goes down instantly it isn't me losing, it is them winning. And that is what should be important.

We really are having a lot more fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God Of Paradise posted:

Get yourself a real DM and test the measure of your nuts and or ovaries.

I can see how tolerating an antagonistic DM who uses metaphors about vaginal fluids would be a serious test of character.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

God Of Paradise posted:

Um...

Don't be a lying rule lawyer who does stupid loving things like attempt to grapple a mind flayer.

I'm of the belief, people don't die in D&D unless they do something stupid. That's a pretty stupid thing to do. I went by die roles. When a mindflayer has you grappled in it's 4 tentacles, it has to wait until the next round to extract your brain. Instead of aiding him in grapple, or sundering the tentacles, they tried to kill the mindflayer, all 5 other players, and they failed... Two of them were mind-blasted, gently caress those guys, poo poo happens. Instead of helping them, they made the wrong move. Instead of breaking the grapple of just one of the tentacles, the 10th level monk decided to flurry, and then he rolled two ones, then confirmed them, and I gave him the choice of hitting his compatriot or losing a flurry strike, and he decided twice to hit his compatriot... I ate his loving brain, and would of eaten his brain before he embarrassed himself. Get yourself a real DM and test the measure of your nuts and or ovaries.

Then, I recommend, you don't stop combat constantly to correct him with completely incorrect calculations.
Here, I helpfully bolded the big things wrong with your post. Maybe when you graduate high school you'll figure out that "think exactly the same way I think or your character dies" is a really lovely way to run a game, especially when the way you think is apparently "do this thing which doesn't even work within the rules".

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

BioTech posted:

I have to admit I sometimes take great pleasure in managing to down a player, but we try to make the majority of the fun them actually winning and beating me. Actually, not me, but the villain, the story, the whole thing. I read something here a while back here, I think by Liesmith, about how there are DMs who are seen as the enemy and others that are guys who work together with players to tell an awesome story. I was always the enemy and never realized it until I read that. Most of my games weren't about how to make them shine, but how to counter their powers so they had it difficult. I was a bad DM =(

So, for the latest campaign, I changed everything. No more powerful lord always telling them they must do things and threatening them or being disappointed no matter how hard they tried, but farmers glad that the pirates were taken care of having a pie baking contest with the players the judges, etc. When they mess up they get to explain themselves and whoever they work with sympathizes.

I still laugh when they trigger a crossbow trap and the first shot crits the Wizard, but now I also high five them when they use Diabloic Grasp fighting on an airship to throw a Goblin Shaman overboard. Yes, it should have been difficult to close a demon spawning pit deep in the Dwarf Mines that a Tiefling Pyromancer opened and is using to build an army, but when they Acid Arrow him in the face and he goes down instantly it isn't me losing, it is them winning. And that is what should be important.

We really are having a lot more fun.

You see, that sounds like fun. Hopefully one day, GoP will blossom forth from his cocoon of beyond his league pussy juice, and rise into the glorious world of being a fun DM. Hopefully. But not very likely.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Traditional Games > Get yourself a real DM and test the measure of your nuts and or ovaries - Catpiss megathread

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Jewcoon posted:

You see, that sounds like fun. Hopefully one day, GoP will blossom forth from his cocoon of beyond his league pussy juice, and rise into the glorious world of being a fun DM. Hopefully. But not very likely.

You know you are in a bad way when someone named Jewcoon is scoring points off you, GoP.

God Of Paradise posted:

I keep getting new favorite roleplaying game moments.

Here's my new one. Finally... I've killed a PC. First time. I've been DMing for 5 months. I have a monk in my party who is a rule lawyer. I caught him lying about his grappling role as he attempted to grapple a mindflayer. I've killed 2 of them before, one of them twice, but not the one that could stabilize them after they won combat... And I still haven't, yet.

I told them going in, this will be an area where you can die in this game. And an area where you can not be revived by a simple raise dead spell. Then they finally, after 5 months of weekly sessions, fought the mind-flayers I'd been teasing since before the game started. And like the spider to the fly, I ate my best friend's brain.

What I'm saying is, D&D taught me the pleasure of killing my friends, hail Satan.

You can't really blame the guy for making his mistakes, given what you have posted I am guessing the one thing your friends have in common is incredibly bad judgement.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

God Of Paradise posted:

Oh god. It's like the orgasm that doesn't stop. Oh god his tears taste like artisanal chocolates mixed with beyond my league pussy juice.

I can taste his brains. It's like filet mignon in beyond my league pussy juice with onions and mush-rooms.

Aside from the onions and the tears I don't think you've had any of these things.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

BioTech posted:

I read something here a while back here, I think by Liesmith, about how there are DMs who are seen as the enemy and others that are guys who work together with players to tell an awesome story.

The funny thing is D&D 'creator' (as it was adapted from something else and a group effort overall) Gary Gygax believed in the former, somewhat: he saw the game as a competition between the players and the DM. Then AGAIN, since he and his group of wargaming friends helped establish the concept of PnP RPGs, his players were pretty much the original rules lawyering munchkins (the infamous Tomb of Horrors was created by him because his group kept buzzsawing through everything else he was doing), and playing a game like that depends heavily on the people you're playing with. In the end, the balance of power between the players and DM is heavily skewed in favor of the DM, as the DM is essentially god and can choose to obey, tweak, or disregard rules as necessary, ergo, such a mindset can probably be filed under Freud-based psychology. It's where things started, but better ways of doing things have been developed since then.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And the players can singularly, or collectively, gently caress off and play something else with someone else if the DM is a power hungry cockhead.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Cornwind Evil posted:

The funny thing is D&D 'creator' (as it was adapted from something else and a group effort overall) Gary Gygax believed in the former, somewhat: he saw the game as a competition between the players and the DM. Then AGAIN, since he and his group of wargaming friends helped establish the concept of PnP RPGs, his players were pretty much the original rules lawyering munchkins (the infamous Tomb of Horrors was created by him because his group kept buzzsawing through everything else he was doing), and playing a game like that depends heavily on the people you're playing with. In the end, the balance of power between the players and DM is heavily skewed in favor of the DM, as the DM is essentially god and can choose to obey, tweak, or disregard rules as necessary, ergo, such a mindset can probably be filed under Freud-based psychology. It's where things started, but better ways of doing things have been developed since then.

Ssssssssssssssssssorta.

If you read how Gygax felt the game should be played then this is kinda close to what you get. His feelings were that it was never a competition between the players and the DM. The DM should never put personal stake in it at all. They should have no skin in the game. The DM was there to set up challenges and act as neutral referee - after all, D&D started as a game above and beyond all else, none of this roleplaying crap. The DM set up the adventure and dungeon they thought would be fun, challenging, and interesting, and the players tried to conquer it. The DM wasn't there to help the players, ever. But he wasn't there to actively attack them either. Of course, there's a lot of bullshit in OD&D that went into the editions afterwards that came from Gygax not quite following this and engaging in something of a scaling arms race with the players (the players keep putting their ears to the door to hear what's inside? DOOR WORMS, MOTHERFUCKERS!)

However, if you read how Gygax actually ran his games then you get something decidedly different.

The catch is that Gygax noted quite often that his challenges were usually geared towards what his group enjoyed. He gave a lot of opportunities to raise stats (though note they'd be behind hidden walls or in secret areas or the like) because his group liked seeing their stats get bigger, and that was that. He made the entire cleric class because one dude was playing a vampire, and another person called bullshit and asked if he could be Literally Van Hellsing to stake that son of a bitch. One dude played as a low level balor and snuck into a dungeon by claiming he was a hard hitting journalist with the Balrog Times. He may have felt the DM should always be neutral, but he also set up his games around what he thought or what he saw his players enjoying. And indeed, he never even imagined settings could sell, as he assumed all DMs would make their own settings to tailor fit what their players enjoyed.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
There is nothing really wrong with adversarial GMing as such if it is what all the players are into. Sometimes a game where you can get killed or whatever at any time if you don't watch out can be kind of fun. The thing is, everyone has to buy into that or somebody is not going to have fun and maybe most importantly the GM who is in the real position of trust there has to not loving cheat to get his drat way. If you are playing a game like that, everyone has to be playing the same game or it is just an exercise in dickish wankery.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lets see, my group is good for a lot of stories, but I think I've got a good adventure which was basically nothing but notable events.

The group is the Order of Magnitude, the game is Pathfinder, the setting Eberron. The players are...

Magnus A warforged artificer and crazy person. On paper he's the leader of the group (hence the name). His player is the youngest and the only thing that saves him from being solidly Chaotic Stupid is the fact that he's typically hilarious.

Glorin A dwarf fighter. Obsessed with an entirely made up character he refers to as "the elven hobo". Player is the older brother of Magnus' player.

Nolan A human monk and the actual leader of the group (since he's the one that keeps track of the party finances). He's also the voice of reason and morality. Played by the father of Magnus and Glorin.

Jack The Black A human sorcerer. A bit weird, he's an undead-bloodline sorcerer, with a dragonmark of healing and an obsession with surgery. Played by my wife.

Shara A half-elven rogue with terrible luck. Played by the mother of the two kids.

For this I decided to go with a pre-written adventure to save myself some headache. The adventure is The Whispers of The Vampire's Blade. There will be spoilers. If you're familiar with the adventure, you know it's pretty heavily on rails, designed to be a sort of grand tour of several of the five nations. Somehow my group managed to drive the train completely off the tracks but still hit every major plot point in the adventure. It was pretty awesome.

So, the adventure starts with the PCs being tested by a member of the Black Lanterns to see how suitable they are for the task at hand. They're shown into a greenhouse containing a dire ape, which they must capture alive. They do so in the most Looney Toons fashion possible, using a combination of a Disguise Self potion created by Magnus, and an Enlarge Person spell from Jack to make Nolan appear as a sexy lady ape. An amazing Bluff roll manages to seduce the dire ape down from the tree where it is then ambushed by the Order and pummeled into submission.

Although horrified by their methods, the Black Lanterns can't deny the results and give them the job. One of their number has turned on Breland, broke into their vaults and captured a magical weapon. He is now making for Kaarnath with his sister, and a head full of state secrets. The Black Lanterns want him back, preferably alive.

The truth is a bit more convoluted. The rogue black Lantern, named Lucan, was investigating a vampire in the undercity of Sharn and was captured and turned. Now undead, his new master commands him to steal a magical sword from the black lanterns. With his security clearance and vampiric powers, Lucan manages to easily take the sword. However, the sword is an intelligent weapon loyal to Karrnath and immediately crushes Lucan's ego (poor guy doesn't have a great Will save) and forces him to take the sword to Karnath. Lucan recruits his sister (a sorceress) to help him. She knows he's become a vampire and thinks they're going to Karnath to find a cure from the necromancers there.

Of course, the Order is ignorant of all that. They just know there's a hefty reward for them if they can get Lucan back. They're given a team of Magebred horses and set after Lucan. Lucan rides in a carriage to avoid the sun, pushing his horses as hard as he can. He's got a head start of a day or two but it's a long journey and the party's horses are faster. They'll catch up eventually but the first couple of days are nothing but hard travel.

One night the party stops to sleep and that's when Magnus realizes something: He's a warforged. He doesn't have to stop for food or sleep and while his running speed isn't as fast as hustling magebred horses he can keep it up for 24 hours straight. So, being Magnus, he leaves a note to his companions and just sets off. After a bit of quick math I realize that Magnus will easily catch Lucan in just a day or so, while the rest of the party is still several days behind.

So he catches up to the carriage during twilight and Lucan and his sister are resting the horses. He watches from the woods, trying to decide what he should actually do (he hadn't thought very far ahead). However, stealth is not his strong suit, and Lucan has incredible senses. He's easily spotted and Lucan uses his vampiric powers to summon a pack of wolves which surround Magnus while Lucan and his sister escape. Magnus fortunately manages to hit himself with a Stone Construct spell to give himself enough DR to avoid injury from the wolf attacks, but spends several minutes being tripped and bitten by the wolves who eventually leave after Lucan's control fades.

Undaunted (and not realizing the wolves were anything more than a random encounter) Magnus sets off again and comes across Lucan's campsite. The vampire's sister and the horses are sleeping and Lucan is lurking in the carriage. Still uncertain of what to do, Magnus decides he'll try and be tricky. He writes a note and pins it to a tree nearby, somewhere that'll be obvious when Lucan sets out in the morning. Here's the contents of the note, paraphrased:

"I know about your secret and I want to help. Meet me at noon, 20 miles down the road"

So, obviously to a vampire this sounds like an incredibly unappealing offer. Magnus moves ahead and waits at the aforementioned spot and watches as Lucan's carriage speeds by without stopping at all. So, Magnus heads off again (meanwhile the rest of the party is still slowly closing the gap) and catches up once more that night. He's composing a new note when he flubs his Stealth roll and Lucan notices him.

The vampire emerges from his carriage and after a few tense, vague exchanges he charges Magnus with the magic blade. Now, Magnus manages an amazing Initiative roll and has the chance to go first. He's taken a feat that allows him to expend HP in exchange for electric damage with his slam attack. We had misread the feat and so had been allowing Magnus to expend as many HP as he wants for an attack...and I'm so grateful that we did.

Magnus decides to bet it all, burning all but one hp to add something like 40d4 electric damage to his attack and just barely manages to overcome Lucan's huge AC. He practically disintegrates the vampire spy with that single blow...only to watch him dissolve into mist and flow back to his carriage while I try and avoid falling over with laughter. Lucan's sister then shoots Magnus with a crossbow, knocking him unconscious.

A few days later the rest of the party catches up, finding Magnus's disabled carcass sitting by the roadside and debate whether or not they should bother repairing him.

Next time, the order crashes a fancy dress party.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oriongates posted:

Lets see, my group is good for a lot of stories, but I think I've got a good adventure which was basically nothing but notable events.

The group is the Order of Magnitude, the game is Pathfinder, the setting Eberron. The players are...

Magnus A warforged artificer and crazy person. On paper he's the leader of the group (hence the name). His player is the youngest and the only thing that saves him from being solidly Chaotic Stupid is the fact that he's typically hilarious.

Glorin A dwarf fighter. Obsessed with an entirely made up character he refers to as "the elven hobo". Player is the older brother of Magnus' player.

Nolan A human monk and the actual leader of the group (since he's the one that keeps track of the party finances). He's also the voice of reason and morality. Played by the father of Magnus and Glorin.

Jack The Black A human sorcerer. A bit weird, he's an undead-bloodline sorcerer, with a dragonmark of healing and an obsession with surgery. Played by my wife.

Shara A half-elven rogue with terrible luck. Played by the mother of the two kids.

For this I decided to go with a pre-written adventure to save myself some headache. The adventure is The Whispers of The Vampire's Blade. There will be spoilers. If you're familiar with the adventure, you know it's pretty heavily on rails, designed to be a sort of grand tour of several of the five nations. Somehow my group managed to drive the train completely off the tracks but still hit every major plot point in the adventure. It was pretty awesome.

So, the adventure starts with the PCs being tested by a member of the Black Lanterns to see how suitable they are for the task at hand. They're shown into a greenhouse containing a dire ape, which they must capture alive. They do so in the most Looney Toons fashion possible, using a combination of a Disguise Self potion created by Magnus, and an Enlarge Person spell from Jack to make Nolan appear as a sexy lady ape. An amazing Bluff roll manages to seduce the dire ape down from the tree where it is then ambushed by the Order and pummeled into submission.

Although horrified by their methods, the Black Lanterns can't deny the results and give them the job. One of their number has turned on Breland, broke into their vaults and captured a magical weapon. He is now making for Kaarnath with his sister, and a head full of state secrets. The Black Lanterns want him back, preferably alive.

The truth is a bit more convoluted. The rogue black Lantern, named Lucan, was investigating a vampire in the undercity of Sharn and was captured and turned. Now undead, his new master commands him to steal a magical sword from the black lanterns. With his security clearance and vampiric powers, Lucan manages to easily take the sword. However, the sword is an intelligent weapon loyal to Karrnath and immediately crushes Lucan's ego (poor guy doesn't have a great Will save) and forces him to take the sword to Karnath. Lucan recruits his sister (a sorceress) to help him. She knows he's become a vampire and thinks they're going to Karnath to find a cure from the necromancers there.

Of course, the Order is ignorant of all that. They just know there's a hefty reward for them if they can get Lucan back. They're given a team of Magebred horses and set after Lucan. Lucan rides in a carriage to avoid the sun, pushing his horses as hard as he can. He's got a head start of a day or two but it's a long journey and the party's horses are faster. They'll catch up eventually but the first couple of days are nothing but hard travel.

One night the party stops to sleep and that's when Magnus realizes something: He's a warforged. He doesn't have to stop for food or sleep and while his running speed isn't as fast as hustling magebred horses he can keep it up for 24 hours straight. So, being Magnus, he leaves a note to his companions and just sets off. After a bit of quick math I realize that Magnus will easily catch Lucan in just a day or so, while the rest of the party is still several days behind.

So he catches up to the carriage during twilight and Lucan and his sister are resting the horses. He watches from the woods, trying to decide what he should actually do (he hadn't thought very far ahead). However, stealth is not his strong suit, and Lucan has incredible senses. He's easily spotted and Lucan uses his vampiric powers to summon a pack of wolves which surround Magnus while Lucan and his sister escape. Magnus fortunately manages to hit himself with a Stone Construct spell to give himself enough DR to avoid injury from the wolf attacks, but spends several minutes being tripped and bitten by the wolves who eventually leave after Lucan's control fades.

Undaunted (and not realizing the wolves were anything more than a random encounter) Magnus sets off again and comes across Lucan's campsite. The vampire's sister and the horses are sleeping and Lucan is lurking in the carriage. Still uncertain of what to do, Magnus decides he'll try and be tricky. He writes a note and pins it to a tree nearby, somewhere that'll be obvious when Lucan sets out in the morning. Here's the contents of the note, paraphrased:

"I know about your secret and I want to help. Meet me at noon, 20 miles down the road"

So, obviously to a vampire this sounds like an incredibly unappealing offer. Magnus moves ahead and waits at the aforementioned spot and watches as Lucan's carriage speeds by without stopping at all. So, Magnus heads off again (meanwhile the rest of the party is still slowly closing the gap) and catches up once more that night. He's composing a new note when he flubs his Stealth roll and Lucan notices him.

The vampire emerges from his carriage and after a few tense, vague exchanges he charges Magnus with the magic blade. Now, Magnus manages an amazing Initiative roll and has the chance to go first. He's taken a feat that allows him to expend HP in exchange for electric damage with his slam attack. We had misread the feat and so had been allowing Magnus to expend as many HP as he wants for an attack...and I'm so grateful that we did.

Magnus decides to bet it all, burning all but one hp to add something like 40d4 electric damage to his attack and just barely manages to overcome Lucan's huge AC. He practically disintegrates the vampire spy with that single blow...only to watch him dissolve into mist and flow back to his carriage while I try and avoid falling over with laughter. Lucan's sister then shoots Magnus with a crossbow, knocking him unconscious.

A few days later the rest of the party catches up, finding Magnus's disabled carcass sitting by the roadside and debate whether or not they should bother repairing him.

Next time, the order crashes a fancy dress party.

This story is a good story. Please post more stories that are like this story.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
There's just something about Call of Cthulhu that brings out the best moments I ever experienced in gaming. My friend was running a game and I was playing a Fox Mulder like private investigator who had the absolute worst luck whenever it came to trying to gather proof of the horrific things we encountered weekly. In fact, he never once actually succeeded on a Photography die roll when it really mattered, so he was always seen as the guy with the ridiculously vague, blurry photos of unidentifiable objects and was continuously labelled as insane by his peers.

But none of that compared to the moment when he was singlehandedly responsible for the accidental sinking of Salem, Massachusetts. Basically, we had been following a cult of Dagon throughout a great deal of the campaign and we finally cornered their base of operations in the city of Salem. We didn't know exactly what their plan was, but we knew it involved summoning an elder God of some kind (We assumed Dagon himself) and that my character was unfortunate to have stumbled across the artifact they needed in order to complete the ritual: A bronze trumpet with all kinds of Deep One markings inscribed all over it.

We attempted to go to the authorities in Salem, only to find out that the entire city's higher ups were in on it, including the mayor. This lead to my character being stuck in a Reservoir Dogs interrogation sequence in which they tortured me to reveal where the trumpet was. I finally crack after a threat to start preening fingers in addition to the beatings my character had taken, but thankfully the rest of the party was smart enough to move the trumpet to their own personal possession during their attempted rescue mission so it of course wasn't there. What WAS there was a note of parley that inferred that the Trumpet would be destroyed if my character was not returned safely, and to meet near the ocean front at midnight.

So, the party finally confronts the leader of the cult, a man we had been chasing all over the eastern seaboard, in a cave with his lackies and my character half dead in order to make the exchange. Turns out the cult leader is more than willing to risk the trumpet in order to just kill all of us, so a rather intense brawl takes place in which the object of their frustrations finally lands back into my keeping.

My character draws their attention by holding the trumpet dangerously above a cliff, and with the last ounce of my strength before blacking out, chuck it into the frothing water below, "You want the trumpet? GO AND GET IT!!"

Then the leader just starts... laughing. And we hear the dulcet tones of a trumpet being played far below us. We hadn't realised they had Deep ones waiting for us in the water below. And that they could play the trumpet.

Moments later MOTHER HYDRA is laying waste to Salem, Massachusetts and sinking it below sea level. Best way to end a campaign ever.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Dude died at one of the climaxes of our game. In reality, I took him into the other room and talked to him, and made sure he was cool with his character dying. I told him he can be cloned for a fee and come back just losing a level. He said he was wanting to make a new character anyway.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking around on this thread.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I ran Me and My Shadow Mark 4 in Paranoia today. Please don't read this post if you are a Paranoia player as this is ULTRAVIOLET clearance.

One of the first things that happens is that an incredibly suspicious guard passes a note to a random player. The note is code-like jibberish intended to make the other players suspicious. However, I had chosen to pass it to the most neurotic member of the group, and unbeknownst to me he spent the entire session - some three hours - trying to figure out how this bogus note related to his secret society mission. It didn't relate at all. His actual mission was to keep the other Troubleshooters from finding out he had a live mouse on his person. The look on his face at the end of the session when I told him "oh, no, that doesn't mean anything, you got it by mistake" was worth the money I paid for the Flashbacks Redux book in itself.

The best part is, another player was an Illuminati member with the mission "Learn what Troubleshooter [first guy]'s mission is and ensure he completes it," and he was also convinced this nonsense letter meant something important to the mission to protect the mouse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

God Of Paradise posted:

Dude died at one of the climaxes of our game. In reality, I took him into the other room and talked to him, and made sure he was cool with his character dying. I told him he can be cloned for a fee and come back just losing a level. He said he was wanting to make a new character anyway.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking around on this thread.
You are not very familiar with the tabletop roleplaying community then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, I learned everything I know about D&D from this Jack Chick comic.