Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

If "iPad classic" is the iPad 1 then it'll be iOS 5. That had occurred to me too, that maybe it's an iOS 5 thing. I played around in the simulator and couldn't get anywhere.

Of course iPad classic refers to the original edition. Possibly the best one released? Yeah I am running the most recent iPad Classic OS (iOS 5.something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That should help a lot, thanks!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:tipshat:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Just downloaded the update on my iPhone 4S and now it just shows a blank screen upon opening - empty tabs, no home screen - and then crashes. Any ideas? Do I need the latest software version, too?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Could you make it when I hit the favorite button, it brings me to the top of my faves? That way it's easier than scrolling back when I'm 5 pages deep.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Bad Roy posted:

Just downloaded the update on my iPhone 4S and now it just shows a blank screen upon opening - empty tabs, no home screen - and then crashes. Any ideas? Do I need the latest software version, too?

Uninstall the app and reinstall it. Mine did the same thing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Just got an odd bug in the title viewing a thread from my bookmarks. I can't seem to reproduce it though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That happened to me when the update was first pushed, but it went away after I returned to my bookmarks list and has never returned. :iiam:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kloa posted:

Could you make it when I hit the favorite button, it brings me to the top of my faves? That way it's easier than scrolling back when I'm 5 pages deep.

Sorry, which favorite button? You can scroll to the top of the list by tapping the status bar at the top of the screen and you can long-tap the back button to pop all the way back to the list.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it impossible to see a full thread title if it's longer than the space it's in? It ...'s the end and only has a few more characters in the top bar if you go into it.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

I think going into landscape is about the only way right now.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Let me test something

edit: Huh, I can access it from this thread but when I PM the link to myself, the thread doesn't open in the app. :confused:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Got it working and I'm already missing the favourites button - keep hitting where it used to be! PMs function is a great idea, but I think it could be pushed onto a different page, rather than needing a tab of its own. As a user who doesn't have PMs, it just feels like it's taking up space. Are they really that heavily used or was the functionality widely requested?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it impossible to see a full thread title if it's longer than the space it's in? It ...'s the end and only has a few more characters in the top bar if you go into it.

Long-tap the thread in the list, and the popup sheet thing will show the whole title.

Bad Roy posted:

was the functionality widely requested?

Sure was.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

pokeyman posted:

Sorry, which favorite button? You can scroll to the top of the list by tapping the status bar at the top of the screen and you can long-tap the back button to pop all the way back to the list.

I think the ones at the bottom of the screen. I could have sworn tapping it (& the bookmarks button) used to take you to the top.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pokeyman posted:

Sounds like I messed up the date parsing somehow, just for you. Random shot in the dark: what locale is iOS set to? Like US English, UK English, French (Canadian), whatever?

Taiwan; it's YYYY/MM/DD for the format here, dunno how iOS deals with it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I made myself a custom CSS and now there's a black dot with the "show post actions" ellipsis.

I'm not very good with CSS- does anyone know how to can get rid of it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Taiwan; it's YYYY/MM/DD for the format here, dunno how iOS deals with it.

This will be fixed in a couple versions (not the next one, but the one after). In the meantime, you might be able to work around the issue by going to User Control Panel, then Edit Options, and setting "Use 12 hour time format?" to "no".

1997 posted:

I made myself a custom CSS and now there's a black dot with the "show post actions" ellipsis.

I'm not very good with CSS- does anyone know how to can get rid of it?

Can you post the CSS to pastebin and link it?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Thank you for including private messages!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey I don't wanna be all "oi u oval office add this feature just 4 me" but how do you feel about adding a read-later thing? people post lots of great links but reading on my lunch break? remembering to check post later? sending to pocket/instapaper? I think I've just given you the idea that lets you finally start charging mega bucks for the app and looking at early retirement. then sell the app to Facebook for millions

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's been brought up before, not sure if it's on pokeyman's never ending feature list. We need to clone the man already.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

hey I don't wanna be all "oi u oval office add this feature just 4 me" but how do you feel about adding a read-later thing? people post lots of great links but reading on my lunch break? remembering to check post later? sending to pocket/instapaper? I think I've just given you the idea that lets you finally start charging mega bucks for the app and looking at early retirement. then sell the app to Facebook for millions

Assuming you use bookmarks, you could just use "Mark Read to Here" on a thread and come back it it later. The bookmark will jump you back to the thread one post under that and keep the count of how many are left to read.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Terminal Entropy posted:

Assuming you use bookmarks, you could just use "Mark Read to Here" on a thread and come back it it later. The bookmark will jump you back to the thread one post under that and keep the count of how many are left to read.

I do that sometimes, but sometimes I want to keep reading the thread, and come back to the article or link.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean maybe I could copy the link, open pocket, paste the link and be done... but this is 2013 birches and she shouldn't have to do that. also iOS should have a solution built in, like allowing widgets in the notification centre for this very thing? hmm Steve you've let us down again

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The jump to page scroll thing isn't working half the time for me. It just marks the current page as read and it turns blue but doesn't actually go to the other page I picked. I have to use the arrows because if I keep trying after it messes up it will crash the whole app.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

pokeyman posted:

This will be fixed in a couple versions (not the next one, but the one after). In the meantime, you might be able to work around the issue by going to User Control Panel, then Edit Options, and setting "Use 12 hour time format?" to "no".

Can you post the CSS to pastebin and link it?

Sure. This also happens if I rename the example-posts-view.css file to posts-view.css without actually editing anything.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If I had a custom CSS that I use in Chrome for the site, should it work mostly right for the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

The jump to page scroll thing isn't working half the time for me. It just marks the current page as read and it turns blue but doesn't actually go to the other page I picked. I have to use the arrows because if I keep trying after it messes up it will crash the whole app.

I saw those crashes! Thanks for the report, should help track it down.

1997 posted:

Sure. This also happens if I rename the example-posts-view.css file to posts-view.css without actually editing anything.

I'll take a look at this soon, unless someone beats me to it.

Terminal Entropy posted:

If I had a custom CSS that I use in Chrome for the site, should it work mostly right for the app?

Depends. The post body (contents of <td class="postbody">) is identical. Everything else is different, according to this template. If you're on a Mac, you can plug in your device and use Safari's Web Inspector to poke around.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
A wild Awful update appears. WOOP!

Edit: Much prefer this compose button to the arrow.

101 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 27, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chuck Bartowski posted:

A wild Awful update appears. WOOP!

I'm loving the patch notes. Its like every quality of life upgrade I needed.

EDIT: Except now I've been hit by the "starting the app gives the grey startup screen followed by a crash" bug. Is delete-->reinstall still the order of the day for this crash?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 27, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Except now I've been hit by the "starting the app gives the grey startup screen followed by a crash" bug. Is delete-->reinstall still the order of the day for this crash?

I guess so :( wish I could find that crash so I could fix it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, reinstalled and it works fine again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

1997 posted:

That looks like it's based on an out-of-date version of the CSS. And I've accidentally made your life more difficult by not updating the example as new versions come out. So if you want, you can delete Awful and reinstall it to get the new baseline CSS, or you can grab it from this paste. I'm not sure if it'll be easier to compare the changes, or to simply start with that and reapply your changes.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I have a tiny ui suggestion if you're open for it: could you make it so that for example tapping the bookmarks button at the bottom of the screen causes scrolling to the top if the bookmarks screen is already on? It gives the button a function other than just showing that it's activated, too!

The twitter app has done this for a while, and it's so natural to me that I find myself trying to use the feature in other apps. It's also an especially useful feature for me since I got an iPhone 5, because the top bar is now slightly out of comfortable reach of my thumb compared to my old 3gs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I have a tiny ui suggestion if you're open for it: could you make it so that for example tapping the bookmarks button at the bottom of the screen causes scrolling to the top if the bookmarks screen is already on? It gives the button a function other than just showing that it's activated, too!

Seconding this, sounds dead useful.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Might be better to move "PM User" closer to the view posts and profile buttons. It is kind of off between Quote and Copy post URL.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jivjov posted:

Seconding this, sounds dead useful.

Thirding. With the tallscreen the status bar is jussssst out of reach.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My PIN is 4826 posted:

since I got an iPhone 5, because the top bar is now slightly out of comfortable reach of my thumb compared to my old 3gs.

Owned

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

pokeyman posted:

I have had this happen the last two times that I have updated this app. Instead of reinstalling it, all I have done is activated the switch between apps menu (double click button at bottom on iphone/swipe up with four fingers on iPad), killed it in there, and then just restarted it fine. No need to reinstall the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ellspurs posted:

I have had this happen the last two times that I have updated this app. Instead of reinstalling it, all I have done is activated the switch between apps menu (double click button at bottom on iphone/swipe up with four fingers on iPad), killed it in there, and then just restarted it fine. No need to reinstall the app.

That fixed it for me for the last update, but the most recent one from yesterday required a reinstall for me.

• Locked thread