Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mercury Crusader posted:

The people who hate Kid Icraus also hate Zelda II, because they are babbies that can't handle a game that's stupidly hard for no good reason. :smuggo:

I liked Zelda II. I wish Nintendo would try it again but maybe with a different character. Maybe make it a Sheik game where you level up your songs and skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Crusader posted:

The people who hate Kid Icraus also hate Zelda II, because they are babbies that can't handle a game that's stupidly hard for no good reason. :smuggo:

Or hate games that are really stupid and obtuse.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Mercury Crusader posted:

Except Kid Icarus gets easier as it goes, only Underworld is really difficult and that's because of how weak you start out.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
As far as Wii U VC releases, just give me the ability to play River City Ransom on the gamepad, and I'll never get rid of this system.

Edit: I liked Kid Icarus, but it was one of the many games I beat as a kid and have no desire to fail at as an adult.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Except Kid Icarus gets easier as it goes, only Underworld is really difficult and that's because of how weak you start out.

It and Zelda II are similar in that you can alleviate a lot of the difficulty by grinding (hearts in Kid Icarus, experience in Zelda II). Unfortunately, it's still grinding.

greatn posted:

Grinding is a lot harder in Kid Icarus because the enemies are limited. I thought I had enough hearts to get more health, but nope!

There are ways to force enemy respawning in vertical stages in that classic NES-style "not quite off-screen but off-screen enough" manner. Takes forever to get all them hearts, though.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 27, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Grinding is a lot harder in Kid Icarus because the enemies are limited. I thought I had enough hearts to get more health, but nope!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mucilaginous posted:

As far as Wii U VC releases, just give me the ability to play River City Ransom on the gamepad, and I'll never get rid of this system.

I agree but toss in Super Dodgeball as well. Every version, including the GBA and Neo-Geo versions.

If they actually brought Windjammers and let me play people online I'd be done for. I'd pretty much quit all life obligations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mucilaginous posted:

Edit: I liked Kid Icarus, but it was one of the many games I beat as a kid and have no desire to fail at as an adult.

I wish they could do online co-op with VC games like River City Ransom.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Spacebump posted:

They easily could. But they won't because Nintendo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bobnumerotres posted:

They easily could. But they won't because Nintendo.

Tell us how easy it is to incorporate online multiplayer in a video game made for a console that did not have online capabilities, outside of maybe a sketchy third-party accessory that nobody owned.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Various emulators on the PC can do it, so yeah, it's possible.

(The basic idea is to sync up the game initalization and the input at the expense of input lag. Rather simple if you already have an emulator and a save state system, although this naive method would probably not play very well due to the input lag depending on the ping between the players. Still, they could easily implement that.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 27, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mercury Crusader posted:

Tell us how easy it is to incorporate online multiplayer in a video game made for a console that did not have online capabilities, outside of maybe a sketchy third-party accessory that nobody owned.

Many rereleases of games made for consoles with no online capabilities on the 360 and PS3 have online multiplayer.

Old emulators can also do it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mercury Crusader posted:

After reading about how the XBAND worked a few weeks ago, it gave me massive respect for the programmers who worked on it. Without any support from Nintendo, Sega, or game developers outside of one company that made a game with explicit XBAND support, they managed to reverse engineer several games and add online multiplayer to them with lots and lots of memory hacking. What might be even more impressive is that some games that had no multiplayer of any kind like DOOM were given multiplayer by the XBAND developers. Crazy poo poo.

On a similar topic, I recently discovered that there's a special emulator that adds online multiplayer to F-Zero in a similar manner (F-Zero originally didn't have any multiplayer at all). I guess it's easier now that thousands of people over the last couple of decades have had a go at ripping the SNES apart but it still impresses me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Many rereleases of games made for consoles with no online capabilities on the 360 and PS3 have online multiplayer.

Old emulators can also do it.

Yup, was about to say just this. The mortal kombat 2 release on PSN had online play, and it was only five bucks. I don't understand why I'm paying a premium for Wii/WiiU VC games when they have absolutely no features added, it's lovely and there's no excuse for it. Those releases are also really touched up too, minimal jaggies and crisper visuals/colors overall.

I know it'll never happen due to the retarded licensing issues that will keep it dead forever, but could you imagine goldeneye007 with online multiplayer? poo poo would sell 10 million WiiUs.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know it'll never happen due to the retarded licensing issues that will keep it dead forever, but could you imagine goldeneye007 with online multiplayer?
You don't really have to imagine that hard.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason for Nintendo to not make every game online enabled other than their questionable knowledge of modern online and obsession towards local playing.

And I say that as someone who believes video games have completely dropped the ball on local gaming and due to this have allowed board gaming to become popular again. Nintendo is one of the few companies that still makes games for local multiplayer. But that doesn't excuse their bullshit ignorance towards online.

I should be able to play Super Mario World with a friend 300 kilometres away where they have to watch me screw around as Luigi and take forever to finish levels. But I can't. And there is no excuse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not to mention they often announce new games with no online, like a new Mario Pray on 3ds, or New Super Mario Bros. They just hate hate hate online games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Various emulators on the PC can do it, so yeah, it's possible.

(The basic idea is to sync up the game initalization and the input at the expense of input lag. Rather simple if you already have an emulator and a save state system, although this naive method would probably not play very well due to the input lag depending on the ping between the players. Still, they could easily implement that.)

I know it's possible, I was asking how easy it was to incorporate. The Virtual Console games are basically ROMS on a dedicated emulator trying to run as accurately to the original hardware as possible. The method you brought up as to how current PC emulators do their online sounds like a hacky job that wouldn't be acceptable for a product you'd have to pay money for, so there would have to be some other way to get that online going. The question is whether there's a means they could make that happen without just remaking the entire game on a different engine.

Other games mentioned here I'm sure aren't just "ROMS on a dedicated emulator" and were actually remade to run on the platform as well as take advantage of whatever online infrastructure that currently exists on the platform. I'm pretty sure Perfect Dark on Xbox Live Arcade isn't just the N64 ROM slapped onto an N64 emulator with the "online play on" button toggled on, nor is Mortal Kombat II just a MAME emulator game. At that point, you're moving past emulated games and moving towards reworked games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

You don't really have to imagine that hard.

That 2010 goldeneye was a solid entry in the Call of Duty series. The SP was really great, and long, and captured some of the nostalgia. It was not goldeneye.

It could have been but due to licensing issues, yeah. I mean they came right out and said in an interview that Rare copywrighted the map designs, all sorts of weapon names, sound effects, music, etc. so the most they could do is make look-alikes and sound-alikes as well as completely new maps. But they could've designed the maps in that "guide me this way"-quake-esque direction instead of just CoD corridors.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry to break conversation flow but we have a Rayman Origins thread, think there should be one on Legends and the Challenges? I wouldn't mind making one but figured I'd see if it was a good idea or a waste of time.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Late on responding to this because of the nfl draft consuming my life, but this promotion is temporary. I'm saying that going forward, it'd be a huge driver to have a 99c VC game of the week, every week for the life of the console. Keep people coming to the eShop every week and point them towards the new retail releases and digital titles and get those "might as well" purchases that Valve makes a killing on with Steam. I guarantee you that a lot of people buying these 30 cent promotional VC titles are buying something with them. It's like the goon that buys a diet soda and then eats more food to compensate. WE ALL KNOW THAT GOON. (it's you) (it's me) (it's everyone)

I would have definitely bought something along with my 30 cent purchase, but the store forced me to buy each thing separately.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah there should definitely be a cart, that may be something that gets added when they bring the eShop to web browsers/mobile phones.

There's just a lot of foundation left to build on still. Like everything else about the console, eShop feels like an incomplete/beta experience.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ghostwritingduck posted:

I would have definitely bought something along with my 30 cent purchase, but the store forced me to buy each thing separately.

This sentence pretty much sums up exactly how poorly Nintendo handles their online experience-- it's even to their own detriment.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Spacebump posted:

I can't see that day coming anytime soon. They don't even offer online for their big games. I wish they would patch Nintendoland and Mario U with online. It would make those games so much better when there's no one else to play with. I mean, online would open up multiple airships in Metroid Blast.

EDIT: I finally got to play those two, four player today. It was a total blast, and made the other people interested in a Wii U. I'm frustrated because the Wii U is really close to being the best Nintendo system I've owned since at least the N64, but it's missing things that I've taken for granted for years.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 28, 2013

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

This sentence pretty much sums up exactly how poorly Nintendo handles their online experience-- it's even to their own detriment.

I was planning on buying BitTrip Runner 2, Punch Out, and Little Inferno. By the time I purchased the first two, I decided to hold off and buy Little Inferno later when I had less games in my backlog. I can't be the only lost sale because of their current setup.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

like a new Mario Pray on 3ds

Our Mario, who art in Nintendo, hallowed by thy name.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

I can't see that day coming anytime soon. They don't even offer online for their big games. I wish they would patch Nintendoland and Mario U with online. It would make those games so much better when there's no one else to play with. I mean, online would open up multiple airships in Metroid Blast.
It's pretty fuckin weird that online has been so much better on the handhelds but that might be more symptomatic of what the online experience is like in Japan. It's pretty messed up that the first online co-op game from Nintendo in this new generation is for 3DS and not Wii U (Luigi's Mansion 2).

I give them the benefit of the doubt on titles in the first calendar year of the Wii U, but if games from holidays and forward don't have online it's pretty inexcusable, regardless of their personal in house philosophy. I also think Nintendoland would be fun online, like Animal Crossing.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Late on responding to this because of the nfl draft consuming my life, but this promotion is temporary. I'm saying that going forward, it'd be a huge driver to have a 99c VC game of the week, every week for the life of the console. Keep people coming to the eShop every week and point them towards the new retail releases and digital titles and get those "might as well" purchases that Valve makes a killing on with Steam. I guarantee you that a lot of people buying these 30 cent promotional VC titles are buying something with them. It's like the goon that buys a diet soda and then eats more food to compensate. WE ALL KNOW THAT GOON. (it's you) (it's me) (it's everyone)

I understand that, but I think there's no reason to assume that the Virtual Console promotions will end after this one's over, especially since Nintendo's been much more open to digital sales recently.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So if I want to play a two player game on the Virtual Console, I can't use the Gamepad and a Pro Controller for players one and two respectively? That's the impression I'm left with, because I have both plugged in and both are registering as P1. I do have two pro controllers, but needing to have three loving controllers for a two person game is beyond retarded. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

So if I want to play a two player game on the Virtual Console, I can't use the Gamepad and a Pro Controller for players one and two respectively? That's the impression I'm left with, because I have both plugged in and both are registering as P1. I do have two pro controllers, but needing to have three loving controllers for a two person game is beyond retarded. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

Wiimotes and Pro Controllers will register as the player they're lit up as, while the Gamepad can be set to any player number using the VC menu.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Surely I would think there'd be a setting to give each controller a number. This is Nintendo though, so in their eight month test process they may have forgot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

Surely I would think there'd be a setting to give each controller a number. This is Nintendo though, so in their eight month test process they may have forgot.

Home > Controller Settings > Other Controllers > Change Order. Then just press A on each controller in the order you want.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

njsykora posted:

Home > Controller Settings > Other Controllers > Change Order. Then just press A on each controller in the order you want.

Doesn't seem to work in Virtual Console. You can switch the order of Pro controllers, but the Pad doesn't seem to register as anything.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

njsykora's describing the system-wide controller setup option.

To reassign the Gamepad for VC games, just bring up the VC menu by tapping the screen or hitting whatever button you have set. Then tap the Player # indicator in the top right. Bam.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm thinking about getting that sonic racing game soon. Is the Wii U version the best one from a technical standpoint? Graphics, framerate, resolution, so on. It seems like a perfect buy for $30 now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The PC version is better, the Wii U version is the best one on home consoles.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I just finished that Lego Undercover game. I was surprised how much fun I had with it despite how understandably silly the story was. It was nice to have something relaxing and puzzle based even if I did wish it was more challenging.

It was a pleasant break after playing so many horrifically violent games in a row. I guess that's kind of the experience, in feeling if not exact execution, I was hoping to get out of the console.

Hopefully there's more stuff coming that reproduce that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm thinking about getting that sonic racing game soon. Is the Wii U version the best one from a technical standpoint? Graphics, framerate, resolution, so on. It seems like a perfect buy for $30 now.

PC version is so much better if you have the rig for it. WiiU version has like a 20-25 framerate going for it (and to think it's slower on other consoles jeeze), and the PC version has TF2 characters and other cool exclusive poo poo.

quote:

I just finished that Lego Undercover game. I was surprised how much fun I had with it despite how understandably silly the story was. It was nice to have something relaxing and puzzle based even if I did wish it was more challenging.
That's how I've felt about all the lego games. Of obvious high quality, charming, funny, and sometimes pretty, but they're so easy and there's no option to make them hard. At least Pokemon and some other kid-aimed games have post-game content that can actually get really rough.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Other games mentioned here I'm sure aren't just "ROMS on a dedicated emulator" and were actually remade to run on the platform as well as take advantage of whatever online infrastructure that currently exists on the platform. I'm pretty sure Perfect Dark on Xbox Live Arcade isn't just the N64 ROM slapped onto an N64 emulator with the "online play on" button toggled on, nor is Mortal Kombat II just a MAME emulator game. At that point, you're moving past emulated games and moving towards reworked games.

The games in Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection are emulated ROMs.

Toady fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bobnumerotres posted:

PC version is so much better if you have the rig for it. WiiU version has like a 20-25 framerate going for it (and to think it's slower on other consoles jeeze), and the PC version has TF2 characters and other cool exclusive poo poo.

I don't care for pc gaming so it sounds like my best bet. The framerate didn't bother me in the demo so is that the worst it gets?

• Locked thread