Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ravel posted:

Not sure what the tweet was about, but he had an article in the Guardian talking about the new number 8 in terms of Gundogan and Martinez who both have that shirt number. He's not talking about their traditional roles. Not sure what he's getting at but there you go.

there is only 1 true formation and its

code:
 7 8 9 10 11
   4 5 6
    2 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

This is the proper way

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Swap 4 and 6 imho

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

4 and 6 comes down to personal preference imo.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Has an outfield player ever had the number 1. or 0.

edit: Yes, somebody has worn the 0 shirt.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 27, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Sagna with 3 and Diaby with 2 has always annoyed me. It's not right.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ravel posted:

Has an outfield player ever had the number 1. or 0.

edit: Yes, somebody has worn the 0 shirt.

Several!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football)#Unusual_or_notable_numbers posted:

Hicham Zerouali was allowed to wear the number 0 for Scottish Premier League club Aberdeen after the fans nicknamed him "Zero".[22]

Though it is traditionally the goalkeeper's number, outfield players have occasionally worn the number 1 for their clubs, including Pantelis Kafes for Olympiacos and currently AEK, Charlton Athletic's Stuart Balmer in the 1990s,[23] Partizan Belgrade's Simon Vukčević in 2004–05[citation needed], Beşiktaş's Daniel Pancu in 2005–06 and Atlético Mineiro's Diego Souza in 2010.

In 2001, Colombian Freddy Rincón wore number 3+5 in Santos F.C.. Due to the failure of the attempt to transfer to the Corinthians and the subsequent closing of entries, Rincón would not have more chances to act in Campeonato Paulista that year if not by Santos. The regulation of that year provided that the clubs could register up to 35 athletes. Then, the Colombian was entered with the #35.[24]

In 2003, FC Porto goalkeeper Vítor Baía became the first player to wear 99 in the final of a major European competition. [citation needed]
Adolfo Bautista, when playing for Club Deportivo Guadalajara wore number 100 under special dispensation from the Mexican Football Federation (he wore 1 in CONCACAF competitions). Later, when he was traded to Jaguares de Chiapas, he received jersey number 1.

Goalkeeper Rogério Ceni of São Paulo FC sports the 01 jersey for his club.

Parma goalkeeper, Luca Bucci wore the numbers 7 (2005–06) and 5 (2006–07—2007-08) shirts.[25]

Iván Zamorano wore number 1+8, or number 18 with a plus symbol between the two digits, for Inter Milan from 1997 to 2000, after his number 9 was given to Ronaldo.[26]

Juan Pablo Sorín was allowed to use the number 1+2 for Villareal because the number 3 was taken. This was only used rarely.[citation needed]

Derek Riordan was given squad number 01 by Hibernian. Number 10 had already been taken by Colin Nish, and none of the club's goalkeepers had been allocated number 1.[27]

In 2008, AC Milan's three new signings each chose a number indicating the year of his birth: 76 (Andriy Shevchenko, born 1976), 80 (Ronaldinho, born 1980), and 84 (Mathieu Flamini, born 1984).[28]

The Asian Football Confederation requires players to keep the same squad numbers throughout the preliminary rounds for the AFC Asian Cup,[29] resulting in players with squad numbers of 100 or higher, including 121 worn by Thomas Oar of Australia in a 2011 AFC Asian Cup qualification match against Indonesia.[30]

Indonesian international Firman Utina wears 8+7 number in his club Persija Jakarta, because his signature number 15 has been taken by Aliyudin.[citation needed]

Indonesian Club Deltras Sidoarjo Goalkeeper Usman Pribadi wears the number 2.[citation needed]

Celtic F.C forward Gary Hooper wears number 88 for both the year he was born (1988) and the year Celtic was founded (1888).

During the 2012–13 Liga MX season, Víctor Perales and Luis Ángel Morales of Guadalajara wore numbers 143 and 163, respectively.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Zerouali. :(

He was a skillful, entertaining player. He wasn't with us for very long, but I remember really looking forward to seeing him bring a little glamour to the league. He died a few years ago in a car crash, sadly.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 27, 2013

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Can 22 amateurs beat 11 pros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtIb-HK7NcA

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

This is great and of course the big boy puts one in the corner

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The pro team was waltzing through their defence like it was nothing. Gulf can't be that big...

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

The pro team was waltzing through their defence like it was nothing. Gulf can't be that big...

Of course it is. We're talking about a bunch of people who has dedicated everything in their life towards becoming pro players.

A mate of mine started a new team with a bunch of former 2.div and former young elite players who couldn't cut it. They wanted to start out in a higher league like 4th tier but had to make due with starting in the 6th tier. They won their first match 42-0.

Edit: It was only 40-0. After that game a lot of opponent didn't bother turning up to face them figuring an automatic 0-3 loss would be less embarrassing. Here's the statistic from their league that year. They still won the league with a +102 GD

http://www.dbusjaelland.dk/turneringer_og_resultater/resultatsoegning/position.aspx?poolid=126861

Hegay fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 27, 2013

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
When Manchester United signed Bebe, it was reported that he had played in some youth tournament where he scored 40 goals in 6 games, and that was more than all the other teams put together could score

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 27, 2013

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Pros vs Amateurs chat reminds me of when Mark Hughes was on the seminal Welsh football comedy-drama C'mon Midffild!. He turns up to play in a charity match for a Celebrity XI against Bryncoch Utd (the story was that he was Wali Tomos' cousin).

http://youtu.be/N5nDkLr4qtM?t=3m

It wasn't scripted for him to go on the pitch at all because they couldn't get insurance to film that, but he just went on anyway and waltzes past the Liverpool supporting (probably) pub-footballers trying to bring him down.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

love that Adam Bayor is on that list

their net worths seem to go up only by their salaries, are they not investing their money at all?

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

atomic gog posted:

Pros vs Amateurs chat reminds me of when Mark Hughes was on the seminal Welsh football comedy-drama C'mon Midffild!. He turns up to play in a charity match for a Celebrity XI against Bryncoch Utd (the story was that he was Wali Tomos' cousin).

http://youtu.be/N5nDkLr4qtM?t=3m

It wasn't scripted for him to go on the pitch at all because they couldn't get insurance to film that, but he just went on anyway and waltzes past the Liverpool supporting (probably) pub-footballers trying to bring him down.

drat Hughes was a real dashing young fella. Great hair, nice cheek bones. Top top lad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Modus Trollens posted:

love that Adam Bayor is on that list

their net worths seem to go up only by their salaries, are they not investing their money at all?

I dont think the paper has access to their investment portfolios

vickser
Dec 27, 2012
i dunno if this is sfw or not? The match ended in a 0-0 draw, don't blame them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

FFS Ephex!
Also what was his name?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Am I looking at people sexing it up at the Bayern Hoffenheim game in the supporters section?

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

General Probe posted:

Am I looking at people sexing it up at the Bayern Hoffenheim game in the supporters section?

Apparently. Not sure if it's as cool as when Dino Drpic screwed his wag on the pitch the night before a match or w/e...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No Arsenal players in the list :dukedog:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Vegetable posted:

Are you serious? A simple pass from a C team youth player would take your legs off. I've got friends who went to school with people like Defoe and even at that age if he was on your team you'd win 20-0.

I think TV makes football look a bit sluggish and simple sometimes.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I played at youth level with Matt Mackay (rangers and some weird south korean team) and it was pretty obvious just how much better he was than anyone else in our schools teams competition.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vaginal culture posted:

I dont think the paper has access to their investment portfolios

but they know the hedge fund manager's wealth makes you think

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I am OK posted:

Are you serious? A simple pass from a C team youth player would take your legs off. I've got friends who went to school with people like Defoe and even at that age if he was on your team you'd win 20-0.

I think TV makes football look a bit sluggish and simple sometimes.

In my glory days I played as a striker in front of a guy who was recruited to our local elite team (viking fk) at the age of like 16 before he decided that playing high level football was too much effort and quit, and it was basically the easiest job in the world. Noone we ever met could ever take the ball from him, and all I had to do was time my run and I'd be 1 on 1 with the keeper every single match. People who "have it" are miles above the normal clogger.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I was in David Templetons PE class at school and he wouldn't have been my first choice if I chose a team. Admittedly he now has 8 more years of experience. He was good but just too easily shoved off the ball (he used to be tiny).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOgx7czhsM

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 28, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKTsK_bpsg0

He's still got it.

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:

trying to jump into that guys arms and his gut getting in the way is my fave part

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNelqGieOEg

I wish this were true.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Spiffeh posted:

trying to jump into that guys arms and his gut getting in the way is my fave part

I thought it was only a month ago when he had tweeted a picture of himself after a reality weight-loss show? Pretty sure he was looking way, way slimmer than that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Esposito posted:

I thought it was only a month ago when he had tweeted a picture of himself after a reality weight-loss show? Pretty sure he was looking way, way slimmer than that.
I remember this as well and was confused watching the video

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There was a guy in his 60s that I used to play with who once played in a Highland League side. He was still better than me and all the other young guys in terms of technique, positioning, and controlled aggression. The only way to get around him was to run away from him laterally until he got tired.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIpMv3lq6c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

You're taking a penalty in one of the biggest matches of the season against your biggest rivals, scoring this gets you way close to the title, missing this will leave you at the whim of the other 5 clubs in the playoffs who are doing better than you. You better take this one something fierce.

• Locked thread