Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Insensative_Asshole posted:

Could the Test guild benefit from an actual Bard or does everyone just bot one? I'm trying to figure out what character I want to play between my bard and ranger.

Everyone just bots one. It's a lot of why I don't bother logging on most times. Sort of a pity, since an actively played bard is absurdly better than a boxed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Flarestar posted:

Everyone just bots one. It's a lot of why I don't bother logging on most times. Sort of a pity, since an actively played bard is absurdly better than a boxed one.

I don't get why anyone wouldn't want an(other) actively played bard in group, even with a boxed /melody one already there. You get the advantages of someone putting effort into the best pull class, extra songs to cover the rest of the dps/tanking that one bard can't cover, and most importantly, double the bard burn discs to let the group spend even more time in wreck face mode.

We were doing a thought exercise on when exactly you can have too many bards in a raid, and it was somewhere around when you have to start putting 3 bards in one group. Before that you're getting tank songs in the tank groups, double duration burns in the DPS groups and all the decent but not quite good enough songs that don't make the main rotation.

PS, RoI is recruiting bards. http://roiguild.org/apply/ ;)

Could the Test guild benefit from an actual Bard or does everyone just bot one? I'm trying to figure out what character I want to play between my bard and ranger.

Make sure you play a char you actually have fun with, picking one just for what others want is a good way to hate playing and burn out faster.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my bard, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be totally useless if there was a melody bot in the group already.

Edit: Anyone on in the Test guild right now able to toss Dubstepcat an invite?

Insensative_Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 21, 2013

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
Nice to see that people are still playing in Roost; I've been taking a break for a few weeks that might or might not continue as real life became busier, starcraft 2 HotS became more exciting, and eq itself became a bit more dull. Still plan to return sometime next month I imagine to continue my warrior, cleric, and enc because I enjoy playing eq ironically.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If you are maining your bard in a group with a backup you should be on chain pull and cc duty so the group is never without songs which can add a huge amount of dps. There are several useful AAs along with your epic for more DPS as well as charm that you can take advantage of as well as some lesser used songs that will just make life nicer.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
The only thing better than one bard in a group is two bards in a group.

Every raid for the last week we've had enough to doublestack the tank and top couple DPS groups, gonna be sad as hell if I don't get double bard in the future

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
I've only really gone for the passive song aas and the melee ones for my bard. What are the *must have* aas for group pulling and CC?

Annoying Jerk
Feb 19, 2004
I just hit level 70/300 aa on my Mage/Necro/Bard group on Xegony and exp has ground to a halt. Other than crowded zones such as DSH and paw, what are some other zones to checkout at this level?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Some of these may be too high, but just going to list stuff I can think of..

LDoN
WoS
Nobles
Ascent and other DoN/DoD zones.
Direwind, Icefall, Valdeholm, Steppes.. basically the mid-high TSS zones
Hand Aug quest in TBS
Oceangreen Hills/Village

Definitely hit up LDoN in everfrost enough to get the +8% dodge aug for the bard if nothing else.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

I've only really gone for the passive song aas and the melee ones for my bard. What are the *must have* aas for group pulling and CC?

Fading Memories is critical.

Boastful Bellow is incredibly useful since the mob will hit the group with a resist debuff already applied. Plus it's instacast.

Jam Fest is handy to help with lull - raises the effective level of the song, and thus lowers resistance.

Sonic Displacement is situationally useful for splitting stuff that lull can't split for various reasons.

Other than that, just combat agility/stability to prevent you from getting your poo poo pushed in if the tank is slow on the pickup. For pulling nothing else really matters enough to care about.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007

Flarestar posted:

Fading Memories is critical.

Boastful Bellow is incredibly useful since the mob will hit the group with a resist debuff already applied. Plus it's instacast.

Jam Fest is handy to help with lull - raises the effective level of the song, and thus lowers resistance.

Sonic Displacement is situationally useful for splitting stuff that lull can't split for various reasons.

Other than that, just combat agility/stability to prevent you from getting your poo poo pushed in if the tank is slow on the pickup. For pulling nothing else really matters enough to care about.

Ok, so I'm on the right track. I have the first three and I keep Combat agility and stability maxed. (Should I boost BB past 1 point? Is the stun/resistance decrease useful or just use it as a ranged pull?)

Sonic Displacement just seems like a knockback. Does it not cause aggro or something?

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Annoying Jerk posted:

I just hit level 70/300 aa on my Mage/Necro/Bard group on Xegony and exp has ground to a halt. Other than crowded zones such as DSH and paw, what are some other zones to checkout at this level?

WoS is a great area to level if a little tedious, and if you want more challenge you can go into MPG. Also, WoS has (in my opinion) the best low 70s to upper 70s (don't know if it can take you to 80 or not) afk levelling spot in the game that absolutely no one knows about.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bellow is definitely useful for pulling if you're a lazy poo poo like me and just snare, FM and whack one and the debuff is noticeable. Don't neglect your cooldowns however for quick time is very good for a melee group.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Sonic Displacement combined with a fade is an amazing tool for pulling. That skill and our (ae) pull, lure of the siren's song, are also great for re positioning mobs, and if you hit a mob with sonic displacement while it is in the air from lure, it will get pushed very far away.

While we're discussing pulling, read this: http://samanna.net/wiki/index.php/Pulling_Guide

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bellow debuff RULES. I used to give bard AAs poo poo constantly, but I'm pretty regularly amazed by what my bard can pull off these days with proper AA. He doubles my group DPS, pulls anything and everything instantly and effortlessly, locks down adds so well you couldn't convince me to use an enchanter in the group at gunpoint, and does disturbingly high autoattack dps. I love my bard so much. If you have an afk melody box bard, it's REALLY worth putting the time in to learn to play him properly! I didn't for a long time, and I really regret it.

Just got server first Vindicator of Fear on Kodaji with a single cleric and mage + mercs :smug: If you're in group gear, the last Chelsith mission is INSANE and one of the most fun group missions of all time. We spent half the day on that fucker, but drat it felt good seeing it die. The arena even floods with fans after you win who all cheer for you while you open the chest and sigh at the shittacular loot :woop:

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Annoying Jerk posted:

Might be a little tough still but check out Katta and Jewel of Atiiki. They're not as fast for leveling up as previously mentioned zones, but they're fun. They have weak mobs and normal mobs. The weak mobs are just a waste of time. Go after the shissars and efreeti. The shissars dont summon so they can be root rotted/nuked down.

Anyone here on FV have an evil eye lens illusion clicky?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Currently Testcopying Illa's entire life because he's awesome. Papa if you or anyone else on Test needs TS mats lemme know, cause I'm gonna have enough for half a guild to 1-300 everything soon

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Currently Testcopying Illa's entire life because he's awesome. Papa if you or anyone else on Test needs TS mats lemme know, cause I'm gonna have enough for half a guild to 1-300 everything soon

There should also be enough tea leaves and other farmed items to make a loving poo poo ton of shawls, bags, foods, drinks and TSes to 300.

I think imgur fucks up my eq screen shots, or I would post what my bank looks like with zilz ui and half my bank filled with full 32-slot TS bags. It's not pretty. A million tiny icons that won't alt-expand with names. 20 stacks of ??? SILKS, ??? ORES and ??? PELTS. Plus all the other gems, TS tools, TS containers, expansion drops, foraged crap, and misc subcombine items.

And that's after I've dumped a bunch of stuff off on my trader to sell to newbs who haven't maxed TSes for shawl 3.0.

All you guys on test who got Oath of Marrs from me and have no idea how rare they actually are, they're selling in the Xegony Bazaar for roughly 3-4x the price of a Krono. While I can buy normal 25 purity augs for about 1/1500th that price.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Since we are talking about tradeskills and shawls and all that, I have a few questions. Is the stuff for making the shawl combines included in the material you are copying? Also I see that you need to kill a raid mob at the end of the 2.0 shawl that drops one head per kill. Are we gonna make an effort to run it like we do with CoA 2.0 orbs. Cause I can definitely see that as being the point where I can go no further on my own at this time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I made a Necro/Druid/Wizard 3box team to mess around with. It's pretty fun. I can burn down whatever mob is on the tank with the wizard and root rot/kite any remaining mobs with the druid/necro. Plus being able to teleport to basically anywhere in the world is awesome. When they catch up to my other characters, I will swap out the druid and wizard for a SK and Bard I think.

These are my current accounts and toons.

Account 1 - 85 Monk / 67 Mage / 35 Necro
Account 2 - 85 Enchanter / 75 Mage / 71 SK / 71 Ranger
Account 3 - 71 Shaman / 67 Mage / 35 Wizard
Account 4 - 71 Bard / 67 Mage / 35 Druid

Yes I have a mage on every account :colbert:

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 26, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Akiosan posted:

Since we are talking about tradeskills and shawls and all that, I have a few questions. Is the stuff for making the shawl combines included in the material you are copying? Also I see that you need to kill a raid mob at the end of the 2.0 shawl that drops one head per kill. Are we gonna make an effort to run it like we do with CoA 2.0 orbs. Cause I can definitely see that as being the point where I can go no further on my own at this time.

You do not need that to continue in to the 3.0 quest. The #7 group shawl is good enough to get the new line. Having the old raid shawl gives you no advantages when doing the new one. I had the raid 2.0 and am currently using the group 3.0 because you need a drop from a current raid to upgrade from group to raid for this one. Those drops were kind of broken for our first two Luclin, but are fixed now.

I didn't include any of the special 2.0 drops, just some of the hard to farm 3.0 items. And obviously no no-trsde items, you'll have to get them yourself.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

jetz0r posted:

You do not need that to continue in to the 3.0 quest. The #7 group shawl is good enough to get the new line. Having the old raid shawl gives you no advantages when doing the new one. I had the raid 2.0 and am currently using the group 3.0 because you need a drop from a current raid to upgrade from group to raid for this one. Those drops were kind of broken for our first two Luclin, but are fixed now.

I didn't include any of the special 2.0 drops, just some of the hard to farm 3.0 items. And obviously no no-trsde items, you'll have to get them yourself.

Well that is a relief. I am pretty sure I can handle farming all the group 2.0 drops. Kodaji, if you would save me a set of the 3.0 stuff Jetz0r has so awesomely hoooked you up with, I would be much obliged.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I surely will sir. I figured you'd want a set and Therridan would want a set so I stuck 2 copies aside for you guys already

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
So, after turning my back on EQ 11 years ago, this thread got me back into it. There have been so many changes! I am loving having a mercenary as it is making the game much more easy to pick up, quest and level, and then stop. However, I will admit that my sessions are getting longer and longer as I get more and more into the quests.

My character is an SDK and I'm on Luclin. Are any goons still on this server, or did you all move to the Test server? Any advice for me to make the most of my time? I'm at lvl 22 and did all the hero's journey book quests in Crescent Reach. Now, I am starting on Blightfire Moors. Hope to see some goons on this weekend.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
If you aren't playing on Test, I suggest rolling on Firiona Vie. It's a high pop server, all items are trade-able it seems, and I think it has an exp boost.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

AFAIK there's only one goon left on Luclin. Either roll on Xegony for traditional live experience, FV if you wanna be in Somalia, or Test for the largest goon presence, though there aren't many of us left on Test either. The yearly goon rush is fully over and we're back to only 8 or so of us playing at all anymore, so play where you want without goon influence since there isn't really any left.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
If anyone is feeling kind enough to copy over a few of those shawl packages, I'm working on it for 3 people :)

As for groups/servers go here is the rundown.

You have a guild you want to join in mind? Play on that server.
Have friends who play? Play with them.
Otherwise, no reason to not play on Test or FV.

Malt fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 27, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Where have people levelled recently from 80 to 92ish that didn't make them want to shoot themselves while doing it? Thinking of doing it on both the necro (80-92) and SK (85 to 92) and presume it would be different paths as well with their differing killing types. It would be solo or molo. I've browsed the official forums etc but most of them seem to have a box crew in mind.

Getting to 92 seems the wisest course of action due to the huge amount of baz buyable 92+ gear compared to the lack of 85-92, which is fair enough, I guess thats pretty old content by now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Malt posted:

If anyone is feeling kind enough to copy over a few of those shawl packages, I'm working on it for 3 people :)

As for groups/servers go here is the rundown.

You have a guild you want to join in mind? Play on that server.
Have friends who play? Play with them.
Otherwise, no reason to not play on Test or FV.

If you EVER might have the slightest urge to get in to the raid game, stay the gently caress off Test or FV. As far as I can tell, raiding on FV or Zek involves starting a new char on or transferring to a normal server, applying to a raid guild, collecting app loot for a month, then transferring back to FV/Zek.

It's not that I can exactly get any random goons in to my guild, but there are a couple goons on Xegony and we had a couple high tier and one mid-tier raiding guild. Luclin and Bristle also have some healthy raiding populations with some goon presence. If you have any interest beyond leveling a box crew to level cap, you really should be on a real server.

Fazana posted:

Getting to 92 seems the wisest course of action due to the huge amount of baz buyable 92+ gear compared to the lack of 85-92, which is fair enough, I guess thats pretty old content by now.

For the SK, it's probably swarming Fort Mech or Gyrospires. For the Necro it's probably rooting or kiting the highest non-summoners you can find. Feerrott the Dream, Al'Kabor's Nightmare, City of Bronze or Shard's Landing for those.

No one likes talking about solo spots on the official forums, you have to look on the off-site class forums for those.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

jetz0r posted:

If you EVER might have the slightest urge to get in to the raid game, stay the gently caress off Test or FV.

FV raids/has beaten up to RoF tier 2. Raiding these days isn't hard. You do have to raid with insufferable douchebags on FV but I think that's most every raid guild.

Now consider re-rolling. You want to re-farm all those augs and gear every time you make a new character? Roll a normal server. If you want to liquidate your lovely lvl 85 druid and roll a ranger or whatever, you can sell your gear and buy new normally no-drop gear for the new character. FV is a huge net time saver. That's the biggest advantage of the server besides the roleplaying fests.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sancho posted:

FV raids/has beaten up to RoF tier 2. Raiding these days isn't hard. You do have to raid with insufferable douchebags on FV but I think that's most every raid guild.

Now consider re-rolling. You want to re-farm all those augs and gear every time you make a new character? Roll a normal server. If you want to liquidate your lovely lvl 85 druid and roll a ranger or whatever, you can sell your gear and buy new normally no-drop gear for the new character. FV is a huge net time saver. That's the biggest advantage of the server besides the roleplaying fests.

I see a lot of ads on the guild boards of many servers for open raid teams, I think Bristlebane has one and a couple others.

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
I feel even more confused now... So, it seems that FV has most items as tradable(this doesn't really matter unless they are high level?), but FV doesn't have the largest population. Also, there is a language issue.

I am still playing on Luclin for now, but I would like some more info about what makes FV desirable. Remember, please explain it to me simply, because I have only just begun to scratch the surface of EQ again.

Sancho posted:

What do you mean by 'insufferable' I can't say I will get into raiding, but I don't want to say, 'never'

fake edit: Just rolled a char on FV to ask general chat these questions; their response, 'FV is full of people who don't like to work together'

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Every other server says the same. Frankly nobody decent really forms pickup groups in general, so the people stuck without groups in general are the lovely players who're bitter. Groups are all done via guild these days because gently caress grouping with people you don't know who are probably shittier than mercs.

FV is special because nothing is nodrop. This means you can buy raid gear from the bazaar. You can also sell back your old gear you don't use anymore to other people instead of just banking/deleting it. That said, if you're raiding it doesn't matter cause you'll pick up new gear fast, and if you're not raiding then buying raid gear just means you no longer have anything to gain from group content, so I'm not really sure why people like FV very much.

I'd keep playing on a Live server until you know enough to know why you'd want to move elsewhere. You can move that live character to FV/Test at any time, but you can't go the other direction! I wouldn't start out on Test for sure if there's even a chance you want to raid...I'm in the only raid guild and we're picking up some steam but quite frankly we'll never be anywhere close to current because we only have 25ish real people on a good night and 20 of them are terrible. To give you an idea, my SK was main tanking Valley and Sarith both tonight (because our two warriors can't) and I parsed #6 on every parse. Ahead of mages, rangers, beastlords, and both necros. While tanking :smith: I'm really hoping they allow another Live migration soon since I doubt we progress much further than we already have

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
How a beastlord? They would have to be comatose, holy gently caress. I mean getting the MOST out of the bst I can understand since you have to weave your spells right to not be sitting on a cooldown for too long but drat.

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Every other server says the same. Frankly nobody decent really forms pickup groups in general, so the people stuck without groups in general are the lovely players who're bitter. Groups are all done via guild these days because gently caress grouping with people you don't know who are probably shittier than mercs.

FV is special because nothing is nodrop. This means you can buy raid gear from the bazaar. You can also sell back your old gear you don't use anymore to other people instead of just banking/deleting it. That said, if you're raiding it doesn't matter cause you'll pick up new gear fast, and if you're not raiding then buying raid gear just means you no longer have anything to gain from group content, so I'm not really sure why people like FV very much.

I'd keep playing on a Live server until you know enough to know why you'd want to move elsewhere. You can move that live character to FV/Test at any time, but you can't go the other direction! I wouldn't start out on Test for sure if there's even a chance you want to raid...I'm in the only raid guild and we're picking up some steam but quite frankly we'll never be anywhere close to current because we only have 25ish real people on a good night and 20 of them are terrible. To give you an idea, my SK was main tanking Valley and Sarith both tonight (because our two warriors can't) and I parsed #6 on every parse. Ahead of mages, rangers, beastlords, and both necros. While tanking :smith: I'm really hoping they allow another Live migration soon since I doubt we progress much further than we already have

Excellent answer, thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me. But I have no idea about Valley or Sarith. I'll just assume that I should also :smith:

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Wow... I'd hate to see how terrible Strontium was if this is what you are working with now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Akiosan posted:

Wow... I'd hate to see how terrible Strontium was if this is what you are working with now.

LoB is Strontium with a different leader and the bottom 10% of Stront rejected. At this point it's basically the same guild and that's the reason I'm now raid MT even though I'm a mediocre SK in every aspect :sigh:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
There a page to see Test server status? My inept search skills are coming up with nothing.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

Malt posted:

There a page to see Test server status? My inept search skills are coming up with nothing.

If you are trying to log into Test server you won't find the server using the live client. You have to get the test client. If this did not answer your question then I made an erroneous assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I think one really bad side effect of the economy on FV is you get the people who want to play dress up barbie really bad. People on the server generally don't work together so you have to maintain an ever changing friends list to get good groups. Most FVers would rather buy gear and sit in the guild lobby all day looking pretty than go out and group but they buy gear like mad and you can cash out on that server rather easily.