Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

PonchAxis posted:

He has to be practicing on PS3 right? I mean at this point you have to because so many tournaments use PS3s.

Why are big tourneys running a game on a setup that causes trouble? If I remember correctly, people went out of their way in the past to play MvC 2 on the correct console and care a lot about the kind of monitors/tv's used, yet they can't use the most popular console?

I understand people loving to see Chris G lose (being a whiny bitch is all the more reason), but considering he's the best player, his criticism should be taken more seriously I think. I'm sure if Infiltration complained about the setup after a loss people wouldn't shrug it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

That's because he went and called someone a human being on twitter after losing.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
It's whatever. If that dude's rent money comes from tournaments and sponsorships, he'd probably do well to account for lag on the console that lags. Yeah, that's probably a lot of work, but if he's gonna treat this like a job, there's a lot of work involved.

Kicking up a stink and calling people faggots while getting paid to play video games all day just makes him look like he never grew up. Best player in the world, or random Joe, or whatever, it's just really silly.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
And now he's getting into a flame war with Koogy. Good grief.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Someone who's friends with ChrisG needs to ban him from Twitter in perpetuity. He's doing more harm to himself than anyone else could ever hope to.

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
So many Marvel gods in losers, top 16 is gonna be insane!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
To be honest, Taxi did kinda suck and Chris should have been able to unfly...

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Brett824 posted:

Yes and no. Yeah ChrisG dropped a lot of poo poo including unflies but if that's common on PS3 then he should have been aware.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Isn't Evo played on playstations anyway? ChrisG should've hit up that twitter last year telling everyone how FChamp was a fraud and the lag made him raw tag.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Yes and no. Yeah ChrisG dropped a lot of poo poo including unflies but if that's common on PS3 then he should have been aware.

If the PS3 really does drop inputs because of slowdown like people claim (on top of having input delay because of vsync? Haven't kept track of which complaints are founded or not), it's pretty difficult to "be aware" of the game randomly choosing not to accept your inputs.

AnonSpore posted:

Isn't Evo played on playstations anyway? ChrisG should've hit up that twitter last year telling everyone how FChamp was a fraud and the lag made him raw tag.

Well one is immediately obvious to be a decision making mistake and the other is something very mechanical that really doesn't have much of a reason to be dropped. Also people have been complaining about EVO being on PS3 since like 2010 (probably sooner, but that was when I first encountered it).

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 28, 2013

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Brett824 posted:

here are threetwo relevant responses and you can pick whichever one you like the best, brett:

A) "Maybe he should have asked Taxi to pot-split with him, then it would have been fine"

B) "I bet if he calls a few more people faggots on twitter then they'll let him redo the match"

or C) "Why the hell is he spending his rent money on shirts, what the gently caress"

That last one isn't quite relevant to your statement but I still feel like it needed to be said.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

itskage posted:

Spooky posted the match to Youtube in case you missed it and want to see it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vps-dbYOfpo

To be fair, that team does have a good counter-matchup to Morridoom, at least on paper. But there was a lot of uncharacteristic human error there. ChrisG did, however, open up the first game with a full screen grounded Astral Vision which is literally one of the worst options you can do against full screen Chris. Magnum doesn't give a gently caress about your Soul Fist.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Coca Koala posted:

here are threetwo relevant responses and you can pick whichever one you like the best, brett:

A) "Maybe he should have asked Taxi to pot-split with him, then it would have been fine"

B) "I bet if he calls a few more people faggots on twitter then they'll let him redo the match"

or C) "Why the hell is he spending his rent money on shirts, what the gently caress"

That last one isn't quite relevant to your statement but I still feel like it needed to be said.

None of these have anything to do with him being right about the PS3 and Taxi though. Who cares if he pot splits and insults people on twitter that, he isn't the only one for either.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

To be fair, that team does have a good counter-matchup to Morridoom, at least on paper. But there was a lot of uncharacteristic human error there. ChrisG did, however, open up the first game with a full screen grounded Astral Vision which is literally one of the worst options you can do against full screen Chris. Magnum doesn't give a gently caress about your Soul Fist.

In theory yes, but Chris got kinda stubborn and did get hit with a lot of yolo poo poo. After the first game he got Chris pretty much locked down before Taxi started going ham with team supers and stuff.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 28, 2013

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Nodoze posted:

None of these have anything to do with him being right about the PS3 and Taxi though. Who cares if he pot splits and insults people on twitter that, he isn't the only one for either.

In theory yes, but Chris got kinda stubborn and did get hit with a lot of yolo poo poo. After the first game he got Chris pretty much locked down before Taxi started going ham with team supers and stuff.

Even if the PS3 played some role in the loss, it's hard to watch that match and say, with a straight face, that ChrisG played perfectly and was robbed of victory because of input lag (which, bear in mind, also must be affecting Taxi since they're playing on the same goddamn console). And yet, when ChrisG goes on Twitter, he doesn't say anything about the poor decisions he made, and he says a lot about how MrWizard is a human being and how Taxi is "prolly the worst". So I'd rather save my sympathy for the guys who are getting insulted on twitter instead of the guy who's a literal crybaby.

Also I'm (legitimately) not sure what you mean by taxi going ham with team supers. It looked like he was using team supers as a way to bother Morrigan. Is that another situation where morrigan didn't unfly properly? Because each time it looked like Morrigan blocked the super and just took a bunch of chip except for the one instance where she ate the last hit.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Brett824 posted:

It didn't even matter, though. He got hit by two arms, one where he had already done unfly and got hit randomly and one where he could've done unfly. The one where he should have been able to unfly didn't matter at all, Taxi wasted x-factor and the combo got broken by missiles. He was already down 2-1 at that point, so what's his excuse for that? He played like poo poo and doesn't want to give some random any respect so all he can do is whine about PS3. The PS3 has problems with Marvel but they're not going to make you lose 3-1 to some scrub when you're the best loving player in the world.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 28, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So, serious question. If the FGC generally hates PS3s for Capcom games, why do they tend to be default at so many big tourneys? Or is Sony sponsoring these things and I am not realizing it?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It didn't even matter, though. He got hit by two arms, one where he had already done unfly and got hit randomly and one where he could've done unfly. The one where he should have been able to unfly didn't matter at all, Taxi wasted x-factor and the combo got broken by missiles. He was already down 2-1 at that point, so what's his excuse for that? He played like poo poo and doesn't want to give some random any respect so all he can do is whine about PS3. The PS3 has problems with Marvel but they're not going to make you lose 3-1 to some scrub when you're the best loving player in the world.

The one where he should have been able to unfly put his Morrigan at low enough health to get chipped by a blocked grapple, I'd say that's pretty significant. Everyone keeps talking like Chris + Jam Session is some weird perfect answer to Morrigan when the dude won off of two Level 3 Dante comebacks and hit Morrigan with a ton of wacky poo poo she shouldn't have been hit by unrelated to that. Chris G did play like poo poo (he was dropping fireball inputs and canceling fireballs too early throughout the entire match) and the PS3 isn't an instant excuse for that. I'm not trying to defend Chris G calling anyone a human being or blaming all his problems on PS3. It was just sort of a lackluster match where the underdog beat someone who was pretty clearly thrown off their game and playing below their standard skill level.

ToastyPotato posted:

So, serious question. If the FGC generally hates PS3s for Capcom games, why do they tend to be default at so many big tourneys? Or is Sony sponsoring these things and I am not realizing it?

I dunno if this is the actual answer but I heard EVO got a ton of PS3s early in the generation for Tekken 5: DR and since they already had a bunch, just decided to stick with that when other games came out on PS3/360. And because it was what EVO was using, a bunch of majors probably followed suit.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ToastyPotato posted:

Having different equipment for different games for large tournaments is a logistical hell. Back in the early 2000s when the scene wasn't as big you could get away with different consoles, but having to set up all the pool stations with different consoles and setups depending on what game is being played would add further delay to tournaments already prone to delay.

EDIT: Not to mention that back in the early 360/PS3 days the only way to have a multi console stick was to hack a 360 pad into a stick and it was generally easier for stick makers to make PS3 sticks since Sony doesn't require licensing for third party controllers unlike MS.

HKR fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 28, 2013

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

In the case of Evo Sony literally just gave them a ton of PS3's.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Didn't Sony sponsor EVO too? A tournament like that needs a LOT of consoles.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Brett824 posted:

The one where he should have been able to unfly put his Morrigan at low enough health to get chipped by a blocked grapple, I'd say that's pretty significant. Everyone keeps talking like Chris + Jam Session is some weird perfect answer to Morrigan when the dude won off of two Level 3 Dante comebacks and hit Morrigan with a ton of wacky poo poo she shouldn't have been hit by unrelated to that. Chris G did play like poo poo (he was dropping fireball inputs and canceling fireballs too early throughout the entire match) and the PS3 isn't an instant excuse for that. I'm not trying to defend Chris G calling anyone a human being or blaming all his problems on PS3. It was just sort of a lackluster match where the underdog beat someone who was pretty clearly thrown off their game and playing below their standard skill level.

Yeah he should have been able to unfly, the one where he didn't did make a difference since it let him get chipped right afterwards, but it was 3/1 and taxi dropped tons (mean tons!) of combos.

And then Chris' salty as hell "It's never my fault" attitude just throws it over the top.

Again we have a situation comparing Justin and Chris. Justin complained about the lag too, but still says it's his fault, and that he needs to run a dual setup. Chris calls people awful players and TOs faggots.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

itskage posted:

Again we have a situation comparing Justin and Chris. Justin complained about the lag too, but still says it's his fault, and that he needs to run a dual setup. Chris calls people awful players and TOs faggots.

I guess everyone ignores the part where the TO initiated the flaming by saying he needs a taxi to go buy some tissues?

Certainly not defending Chris G, especially since "human being" is such a tactless, offensive, unfunny response, but it's not like he suddenly lashed out at Mr Wizard out of nowhere, and it's equally "unprofessional" for a TO to be slinging insults over twitter.

Chris G is definitely a baby, but this is hardly a new phenomenon and not endemic to Chris G, there's a huge immaturity streak throughout the FGC - e-sports baby! Yeah!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brett824 posted:

The thing is even if he did eat a random bionic arm that doesn't excuse how he lost with his other characters. Chrisg is very good with his whole team but he still lost (3-1).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Super Rad posted:

I guess everyone ignores the part where the TO initiated the flaming by saying he needs a taxi to go buy some tissues?

Certainly not defending Chris G, especially since "human being" is such a tactless, offensive, unfunny response, but it's not like he suddenly lashed out at Mr Wizard out of nowhere, and it's equally "unprofessional" for a TO to be slinging insults over twitter.

Chris G is definitely a baby, but this is hardly a new phenomenon and not endemic to Chris G, there's a huge immaturity streak throughout the FGC - e-sports baby! Yeah!

What? No, "Would you like me to call you a taxi? To Walmart to get you a box of tissues" and "ur a human being" are NOT equally unprofessional, Jesus.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Super Rad posted:

Right but that was funny and clever.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It didn't even matter, though. He got hit by two arms, one where he had already done unfly and got hit randomly and one where he could've done unfly.

During the first arm ChrisG didn't realize that he was airborne and tried to do Shadow Servant, but got Finishing Shower instead. You can see that he is jumping during the super flash and loses a meter when getting hit.

The second one looks like he might have still been in the startup frames of flight when the arm came out, which would have prevented him from unflying, but it's hard to say for sure.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't know. Everyone's pretty vocal about their preference for 360. I know that the Canada Cup guys refuse to run tournaments on anything but 360.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Super Rad posted:

Do you start frothing at the mouth when people make jokes with you?

This whole thing is great because watching Chris freak out between rounds and watching Marvel be sufficiently goofy are both excellent.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Super Rad posted:

It really is because he used human being. Almost anything else and he wouldn't be getting so much poo poo for it.

Nate405 posted:

During the first arm ChrisG didn't realize that he was airborne and tried to do Shadow Servant, but got Finishing Shower instead. You can see that he is jumping during the super flash and loses a meter when getting hit.

The second one looks like he might have still been in the startup frames of flight when the arm came out, which would have prevented him from unflying, but it's hard to say for sure.

I'm pretty sure you can unfly at any time.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

itskage posted:

I'm pretty sure you can unfly at any time.

Nah flight has startup frames that can't be cancelled by unflying.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jmcrofts posted:

What? No, "Would you like me to call you a taxi? To Walmart to get you a box of tissues" and "ur a human being" are NOT equally unprofessional, Jesus.

As a TO (and a big part of the FGC in general) there should be a semblance of impartiality - if you replicated this behavior with a real sport, like if an NFL chairman publicly tweeted "Hey Tom Brady quit being a pouty baby" or what have you it would be severely frowned upon.

Again I'm not trying to say Chris G's behavior is justified in any way, but the way I see it Chris G is just the biggest manchild in a sea of manchildren, singling him out as somehow being categorically more loathsome than the rest is disingenuous. A TO should not be taking pot shots at players, especially when they're obviously already stupid salty.

No human being should ever use human being as an insult - and I agree that if you compare the tweets in terms of "intelligence" or "humor" then obviously Chris G seems like an unfunny idiot on top of being a known sore loser, but IMO both parties broke any semblance of professionalism equally by getting into a stupid twitter flame fest in the first place.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

/\ I think we can all agree on that. But that won't stop anyone from blowing Chris up for it.

Jmcrofts posted:

Nah flight has startup frames that can't be cancelled by unflying.

Well that's good to know. Especially since I've been playing Morrigan :shepface:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Super Rad posted:

No human being should ever use human being as an insult - and I agree that if you compare the tweets in terms of "intelligence" or "humor" then obviously Chris G seems like an unfunny idiot on top of being a known sore loser, but IMO both parties broke any semblance of professionalism equally by getting into a stupid twitter flame fest in the first place.

If making a silly joke at the expense of someone else is a 'flame fest' and abhorrent behavior I guess we should shut down the internet before people start bullying each other into eating sand.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Coca Koala posted:

Also I'm (legitimately) not sure what you mean by taxi going ham with team supers. It looked like he was using team supers as a way to bother Morrigan. Is that another situation where morrigan didn't unfly properly? Because each time it looked like Morrigan blocked the super and just took a bunch of chip except for the one instance where she ate the last hit.

When I say going ham I mean just kinda going nuts and hoping to catch Chris off guard. She will never get hit while soul fisting unless you get her out of the startup of a soulfist. So only like a gimlet + something fast such as hailstorm is okami shuffle is going to hit her.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nah callouts are pretty fun. If someone is gonna tweet some salty poo poo about how the dude who just beat them is terrible, they deserve whatever ribbing they get. The difference is Chris crossed a line by using an offensive slur.

It's not Mr. Wizard's job to be a PR Professional, it's his job to run EVO and he does a great job of it every year.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
For the PS3/360 thing it's also worth remembering that the previous gen was almost 100% PS2 and low-lag PS2->PS3 converters came out quickly, early '07 at the latest.

The constant whining by and about Chris G is really tiring, someone needs to tape his goddamn mouth shut/fingers together and give him a long set with Taxi on a setup they're both happy with. Blah blah blah just play jesus christ.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Callouts, name calling and all that are part of the FGC. Mr Wizard did it in a way that wasn't offensive and was actually funny. ChrisG used an incredibly offensive juvenile slur.

ChrisG is the reason people get mad at the FGC for being offensive jackasses. Mr Wizard kept the spirit of the community's nature of trash talk but didn't degrade a class of humans while doing it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

For the PS3/360 thing it's also worth remembering that the previous gen was almost 100% PS2 and low-lag PS2->PS3 converters came out quickly, early '07 at the latest.

The constant whining by and about Chris G is really tiring, someone needs to tape his goddamn mouth shut/fingers together and give him a long set with Taxi on a setup they're both happy with. Blah blah blah just play jesus christ.

I don't think anyone even pretends to think that Chris G wouldn't dominate in a long set against him. I'd eat my hat if he got 3 games in a FT10 on 360.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In other news Champ still owns

quote:

Ryan Ramirez
‏@fchampryan
I hate you @NYChrisG for taking my villain role.. Fml now everyone calls me friendly champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also if you find behavior like ChrisG's offensive you should let his sponsor know on twitter.