Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
If I'm getting a meal catered, how much extra food should I get?

Say I have 75 confirmed guests. I'm thinking maybe order 10 extra meals? I'm super worried about people coming that didn't RSVP. I'd definitely rather have too much food than not enough. My fiance said that at his cousin's wedding, they stupidly ordered the EXACT number of meals they thought they needed which ended up not being enough, and no one in the wedding party got to eat.

The place we're getting food from is so cheap, cost isn't really an issue. It's like 9 bucks a plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

My girlfriend and I both want to get married, but we're pretty much the paycheck to paycheck couple. We both have bad credit, and don't make a lot of money. She was married once before, and it was a simple married by the courts wedding with no actual ceremony/reception. As such she wants this wedding to have them no matter what. I'm at a loss on how we're going to pull this off.

She refuses to go the potluck / backyard route so I have no idea what we can do. As it stands her current plan is to save up $200~ a month for the next 10 or so months and use that for the wedding costs. I can't afford to save because not only do I need to save for a car, but I also just don't make enough to do so. I plan on spending about $200-300 on a ring and have no idea what to do about that. Likely looking at Wal-Mart or something which is lame as hell, but it's what I gotta do.

Does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions for cheap/free wedding ceremony/reception alternatives (including venue/food/decorations/etc)? Thanks for any and all advice!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
1. Go post your budgets in BFC and get help.

2. You and your girlfriend need to get on the same page money-wise. You clearly have different priorities and ideas of what's affordable. If you want your marriage to work, you need to be able to work together financially.

3. No, you obviously cannot afford the kind of wedding she wants now. Would she be okay with doing a smaller thing this time and having a vow renewal in a few years with more of the trappings?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
^^^ Pretty much said what I said just beat me to it :)

Are you just in a huge hurry to get married or what? Saving $200 a month for 10 months isn't going to give you enough money for the kind of wedding she wants. I'm spending about that much on my no-venue, no-judge, backyard potluck-type wedding. There are random little expenses everywhere that will really surprise you.

I don't really know what to tell you dude, besides make more money or have a less fancy wedding I guess? See if parents will help out?

Alternatively, if you OMG HAVE TO GET MARRIED RIGHT NOW, why not just do the courthouse marriage thing, and then slowly start saving up money for a reception at some undetermined point in the future? Lots of people do that. Although, I think it's kind of lovely that you guys have to stretch yourselves even thinner money-wise than you do already just to survive, because your girlfriend wants a crazybig wedding. It's a glimpse into your lifelong financial future together, if you know what I mean.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

razz posted:

Say I have 75 confirmed guests. I'm thinking maybe order 10 extra meals? I'm super worried about people coming that didn't RSVP. I'd definitely rather have too much food than not enough. My fiance said that at his cousin's wedding, they stupidly ordered the EXACT number of meals they thought they needed which ended up not being enough, and no one in the wedding party got to eat.

The place we're getting food from is so cheap, cost isn't really an issue. It's like 9 bucks a plate.

Hey, go for it. $90 is a drop in the bucket for a 75 person wedding. They should be giving you the excess food afterwards anyway so take what you can home or share it with family.

Obscurity: It's going to be tough as hell to do a wedding that cheap. Your budget amounts to $2000. There's a few options to consider: One, maybe an outdoor wedding at a public park with a simple ceremony. Bring a few chairs for elderly/disabled guests and have everyone else stand or something, keep it short and simple. Get the license beforehand and have a friend officiate. That will save on chair rentals and venue. As for the actual reception? Maybe a cocktail hour or something, with simple hor d'oeuvres and bar. Some restarunts will accommodate that without charging a venue fee. You basically just buy a room out for an hour or two. That will still eat up a good deal of cash tough, so keep the guest list small (like immediate family only or something).

However, my real advice is to take the money you'd save for a wedding and save it for future expenses. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, it's not a great idea to blow it on what amounts to a big party. Are there parents or other relatives who might contribute?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Obscurity posted:

My girlfriend and I both want to get married, but we're pretty much the paycheck to paycheck couple. We both have bad credit, and don't make a lot of money. She was married once before, and it was a simple married by the courts wedding with no actual ceremony/reception. As such she wants this wedding to have them no matter what. I'm at a loss on how we're going to pull this off.

She refuses to go the potluck / backyard route so I have no idea what we can do. As it stands her current plan is to save up $200~ a month for the next 10 or so months and use that for the wedding costs. I can't afford to save because not only do I need to save for a car, but I also just don't make enough to do so. I plan on spending about $200-300 on a ring and have no idea what to do about that. Likely looking at Wal-Mart or something which is lame as hell, but it's what I gotta do.

Does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions for cheap/free wedding ceremony/reception alternatives (including venue/food/decorations/etc)? Thanks for any and all advice!
I mean, I'm gonna be a little more blunt than everyone else and say that you cannot afford a traditional wedding, period.

It's entirely possible you could scrimp and save for a year or more, set aside enough for a caterer and a small venue, a tux for you and she could wear her mom's dress... and then the next week your car could break down and you'd be completely hosed.

Like, wanting an awesome wedding is understandable given all the crazy cultural pressures, but you just can't right now. If you need to be married for legal reasons (medical insurance or taxes or whatever), then just get the license, go down to the courthouse and have it done. You don't even have to tell anybody if you don't want to, other than the HR person at your respective jobs and the IRS; have a big-rear end wedding in a few years, when you can actually afford it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Unless one or both of your families help out, its going to be pretty hard to pull off a traditional non-courthouse wedding on your budget.

Have you sat down with her and actually looked at prices for weddings? I used to think you had to do something extravagant to pay more than a couple thousand for a wedding, until I started planning mine. Stuff adds up FAST.

Here's a couple examples I've run into:

Invitations: Need to buy postage and return address labels.

Reception venue: bringing a cake? Well that'll be a $3/person cake fee please. Bam extra $300 right there for a 100 person wedding.

Dress: Need a veil and shoes too. And alterations. Veils are rather expensive. Oh and you'll probably need to buy some specialized undergarments too.

The Knot has a good budgeting tool, plug in what you're willing to spend and it'll break it down into what you should be spending per category to stay within your budget. Trying to plan a whole wedding on only $2000 is going to be tough though. Like other posters say, if you need to get married RIGHT NOW for reasons like health insurance coverage, why not get married on paper then have the wedding she wants a few years down the road when you're in a better financial situation?

A word of advice: do not let her steamroll you onto going into debt for your wedding. You don't want to start your married life up to your eyeballs in debt.

razz posted:

Maybe I'm just mean, but if they wanted a meal maybe they should've spent the five seconds to drop the already stamped and addressed RSVP into their mailbox.

We're 90% sure we're having a buffet, so we're avoiding this altogether.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 23, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The Knot has a good budgeting tool, plug in what you're willing to spend and it'll break it down into what you should be spending per category to stay within your budget. Trying to plan a whole wedding on only $2000 is going to be tough though. Like other posters say, if you need to get married RIGHT NOW for reasons like health insurance coverage, why not get married on paper then have the wedding she wants a few years down the road when you're in a better financial situation?

A word of advice: do not let her steamroll you onto going into debt for your wedding. You don't want to start your married life up to your eyeballs in debt.
The best way to avoid being up to your eyeballs in debt post-wedding is to ignore everything The Knot has to say.

Like, if you're any good with networking, now would be a good time to manually block the IP in your router configuration. Pinterest, too.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Maybe I'm just mean, but if they wanted a meal maybe they should've spent the five seconds to drop the already stamped and addressed RSVP into their mailbox.

We're 90% sure we're having a buffet, so we're avoiding this altogether.

That being said, our RSVP deadline is this Friday and we've only got 75 out of 140 guests confirmed so far. How much poking and prodding of our lazy RSVPs is acceptable before we throw our hands up and mark them 'decline'? I completely agree, that if our graciously invited guests really wanted the royal treatment of being a part of our special day, they would take the time to (even hastily!) make scribbles on the self-addressed pre-stamped RSVP card.

Once they've been prodded to send the drat thing, how much time should I give for said RSVPs to arrive? Also anticipating people RSVPing through email or text, which blows because those return cards and stamps cost us money. Like my mom always says to me, "People are so loving lame." :(

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Thanks guys. You all pretty much have the same mindset as me. It's not something we should be spending money on. That being said, my girlfriend is hard headed and no matter how much I try to explain it to her she insists that she can make it work with her budget. She did suggest having a few close friends help out with food so we don't have to get a caterer, but that's just one of many things to consider when it comes to cost.

She found a venue that is $550 for the room, $150 deposit. This can be used for ceremony and reception. It includes chairs and some other stuff too. So that's a hopeful idea.

I guess I'll keep working with her on cutting as much cost out of it as possible. I already told her I'd be happy just getting married regardless of how it's done. It's that this will be her second marriage and if she still hasn't seen a ceremony/reception..well..you get where this is going. I just want her to be happy is all.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
^^^ So you guys aren't engaged, right? Since you mentioned buying a ring? Seriously I wouldn't worry about getting married before you're even engaged. The wedding could happen literally years down the line. Do you have plans to ask her to marry you soon? Just curious.

Yeah, the cost isn't really an issue. I just don't want to have not enough food or waste food either, and was unsure how other people handled it. But people can always take stuff home with them, you're right. I forgot about that. Maybe I can even get some styrofoam boxes from the catering place.

And it's not a sit-down fancy dinner, more like a buffet/a la carte type deal. Which makes the number of plates we buy not so fussy, but I still don't want to waste food! We're hippies :ohdear:

Mongoloid Joe posted:

Also anticipating people RSVPing through email or text, which blows because those return cards and stamps cost us money. Like my mom always says to me, "People are so loving lame." :(

My invites say to RSVP via email, facebook, or calling me. I hope people actually do. RSVPing is so easy people just forget. Like, "Oh it'll take me 30 seconds to do, I'll do it in just a minute" and then they forget altogether.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

razz posted:

^^^ So you guys aren't engaged, right? Since you mentioned buying a ring? Seriously I wouldn't worry about getting married before you're even engaged. The wedding could happen literally years down the line. Do you have plans to ask her to marry you soon? Just curious.

I haven't proposed, but I planned to next month provided I'm able to get the ring. We both want the wedding within a year of getting engaged, but maybe we can talk about staying engaged for longer than a year for more money to be available.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
On the groom's cake issue, I think maybe it's a Southern thing? I didn't realize they weren't universal until my husband said he'd never heard of the idea. As for us, we did groom's pies. They were delicious (and we were even able to get one sugar-free for some diabetic relatives).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Obscurity posted:

That being said, my girlfriend is hard headed and no matter how much I try to explain it to her she insists that she can make it work with her budget.

No though dude, forget the wedding and make sure you two talk about finances period. You need to have a plan and a method if you want to stop living paycheck to paycheck. The wedding is a tiny piece of a huge issue that doesn't seem to be being addressed. You have to be on the same page financially.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

^^^Eggplant Wizard droppin' some knowledge

Obscurity posted:

She found a venue that is $550 for the room, $150 deposit. This can be used for ceremony and reception. It includes chairs and some other stuff too. So that's a hopeful idea.

It's an idea, but like others have said, it's still really tight. $550 eats up a quarter of your budget. For a room. How many people are you inviting? 40 guests at $15/head for food, which is like sandwiches and maracroni salad, is $600. P.S. I hope you aren't thinking about getting any kind of a photographer.

Weddings are stupidly expensive, and your budget will probably grow as you get into it. You really should try and sell her on the backyard/potluck wedding, if you want anything of substance, that's the smart way to do it if you're budget is low.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Reception venue: bringing a cake? Well that'll be a $3/person cake fee please. Bam extra $300 right there for a 100 person wedding.
Ugh this is the exact kind of bullshit that has made me not want a wedding in a venue. Even though my parents can afford to pony up the money I just don't want them to pay fees like this on principle.

Obscurity here is a link to a British finances website which has a good section about weddings.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheaper-weddings
Tips one and two are particularly good.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I assume cake fees are to cover the cost of using their tableware & waiters & whatnot. $3/plate is still steep but I can see why they do it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No though dude, forget the wedding and make sure you two talk about finances period. You need to have a plan and a method if you want to stop living paycheck to paycheck. The wedding is a tiny piece of a huge issue that doesn't seem to be being addressed. You have to be on the same page financially.

Listen to this. If she pressures you into a wedding you can't really afford, what happens when she wants a house? New car? Kids? You guys really need to sit down together and plan your finances together for the future, not just because of the wedding.

Re: cake fees, they make sense because that's 100 more plates and forks the venue has to prepare and wash and maybe even a staff member to man the cake table and hand them out. Initially you look at it and go "meh, it's just $3" but then you multiply that by your guest list and suddenly it's rather significant. I think it's one of the best examples of poo poo that creeps up on you that you don't plan for when budgeting out a wedding.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Beep Street posted:

Ugh this is the exact kind of bullshit that has made me not want a wedding in a venue. Even though my parents can afford to pony up the money I just don't want them to pay fees like this on principle.

Obscurity here is a link to a British finances website which has a good section about weddings.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheaper-weddings
Tips one and two are particularly good.

quote:

Don't let the bank steal your wedding cash

Setting off means banks can swipe big money from our accounts without permission. So if you've a loan or credit card debts, be very careful about other people, such as your parents, giving you cash to fund your wedding.

This outrageous law lets banks grab cash from your account to repay debts without permission and without telling you. See the Setting Off guide for the full legal info.

This wrecked wedding story sums it up:

quote:

No tale more gut-wrenching has landed in our mailbag than that of poor Peter Wilson, whose generous wedding gift to his daughter was then thieved by her bank to ruin her cherished day.

The proud father had saved up 12,000 with his local credit union to give a cheque to his daughter towards her day.

Two days after it went in her account, checking to see if it had cleared at Northern Bank, the bride-to-be's white day turned black, as she was horrified to see 6,000 had been instantly lifted to pay off her credit card debt elsewhere with the bank.

This was despite a repayment plan already in place. His daughter was inconsolable; and for the bank to do this and ruin her wedding day was despicable, he said.

"We told the bank that credit union officers would sign a statement to say that the money was ours, but still it refused to refund the money," he added.

What the poo poo is this? Is this something British banks can do? Because if my bank took money randomly from my bank account to pay off another debt I had with them when I had a repayment plan in place, THAT'S FREAKING WRONG.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

What the poo poo is this? Is this something British banks can do? Because if my bank took money randomly from my bank account to pay off another debt I had with them when I had a repayment plan in place, THAT'S FREAKING WRONG.
[/quote]

Being in debt is what is morally wrong. That is why we send debtors to prison. Where they belong.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Listen to this. If she pressures you into a wedding you can't really afford, what happens when she wants a house? New car? Kids? You guys really need to sit down together and plan your finances together for the future, not just because of the wedding.

The answer to this question is zuarg. Don't become zuarg, Obscurity, talk about finances before you get married.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Mongoloid Joe posted:

That being said, our RSVP deadline is this Friday and we've only got 75 out of 140 guests confirmed so far. How much poking and prodding of our lazy RSVPs is acceptable before we throw our hands up and mark them 'decline'? I completely agree, that if our graciously invited guests really wanted the royal treatment of being a part of our special day, they would take the time to (even hastily!) make scribbles on the self-addressed pre-stamped RSVP card.

Once they've been prodded to send the drat thing, how much time should I give for said RSVPs to arrive? Also anticipating people RSVPing through email or text, which blows because those return cards and stamps cost us money. Like my mom always says to me, "People are so loving lame." :(

You sound like me! 7 days from RSVP deadline and only have 88/158 replies. 70 people have either lost/thrown away their RSVP card and don't want to bother calling me or they just don't know if they can come yet. Scenario 2 is understandable I guess but everyone else? Rude! As far as what is acceptable, poke and prod whoever you want until the deadline, maybe give ~5 days after that for slow mail to trickle in, and then mark the bums as "No." Every etiquette book in existence will side with you rather than the later RSVPers. Caterers need hard numbers on hard dates. You snooze, no free food.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My fiance already made it clear she is going to be calling the people who fail to RSVP one by one 3-4 weeks before the wedding. Our venue is too expensive per head to have surprise shows.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
So, as the bride and groom, has anybody thought about giving a thank you speech to your wedding guests during the reception? I really like the idea of doing this and fully intend on doing so, but I pretty much suck at public speaking.

Even though our wedding guests will be mostly our immediate family, it makes me really anxious thinking about this. I'm wondering: 1. What to say. & 2. When to say it.

I guess to add to this, I figure we should say something at the Rehearsal Dinner as well. Oy vey. Suppose that means we will need all new material for that "speech" :ohdear:

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

So, as the bride and groom, has anybody thought about giving a thank you speech to your wedding guests during the reception? I really like the idea of doing this and fully intend on doing so, but I pretty much suck at public speaking.

Even though our wedding guests will be mostly our immediate family, it makes me really anxious thinking about this. I'm wondering: 1. What to say. & 2. When to say it.

I guess to add to this, I figure we should say something at the Rehearsal Dinner as well. Oy vey. Suppose that means we will need all new material for that "speech" :ohdear:

My (now) father-in-law was the one who put together the rehearsal dinner, so he had a speech for that and it was very sweet and appropriate.

I ended up writing a surprise speech myself for the wedding and gave it during the reception thanking everyone for everything and all that. I think it went over well and was definitely appreciated since I got a lot of help from family and friends to make the wedding go as well as it did. I don't mind public speaking though, so that helped! I would say practice in front of a mirror a lot. I know I practiced my vows in front of a mirror like, 50 times so that I wouldn't choke on them (ended up choking up anyhow!). But the key isn't how well you do it because the sentiment is sweet and awesome even if you are crying out the last half of whatever you say to everyone. :v:

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

My (now) father-in-law was the one who put together the rehearsal dinner, so he had a speech for that and it was very sweet and appropriate.

Awww. That's really special. Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty much putting the rehearsal dinner together so....ugh. :sweatdrop:

quote:

I ended up writing a surprise speech myself for the wedding and gave it during the reception thanking everyone for everything and all that. I think it went over well and was definitely appreciated since I got a lot of help from family and friends to make the wedding go as well as it did. I don't mind public speaking though, so that helped! I would say practice in front of a mirror a lot. I know I practiced my vows in front of a mirror like, 50 times so that I wouldn't choke on them (ended up choking up anyhow!). But the key isn't how well you do it because the sentiment is sweet and awesome even if you are crying out the last half of whatever you say to everyone. :v:

Welp, I'm definitely going to choke up and start balling like a baby no matter what. I still think it would be nice to at least have a speech in hand to help me when I totally lose it. I know it's not the Oscars, but I want everyone to know how much they mean to me. I'm just really struggling with how to convey my appreciation and what to say to communicate that in a special way. The last wedding I went to, the speeches were incredibly heartfelt and I loved hearing them. But they went on FOREVER. I'd say a good 45 minutes was devoted to speeches.

I'm thinking something short and sweet. Anything especially meaningful you remember from your speech?

Isn't it funny what wedding planning can do to a person? I'm not usually one to stress about such things. But between planning the speeches, the ceremony, the invitations, the thank you notes, the lodging, the videographer, the photographer, the dancing, the meal, the drinks, the linens, the centerpieces, worrying about the cicadas, finding the right undergarments, figuring out what jewelry to wear, finding someone to watch our inextricably separation-anxiety-proned beagle, the bouquet, the decor, finding someone appropriate to MC for the reception (which means my family members out of the question), creating a weekend long itinerary, travel arrangements, providing welcome baskets to out of town guests, the childcare, the music playlists, the wedding makeup, the hair, the nails, the guest list, the cake, the wedding favors, getting a gift for the groom, finding gifts for our parents, picking wedding colors, getting in shape in time for the wedding, worrying about how my adolescent-like skin will act like during our wedding week, outfits for groom and wedding party, selecting readings for our ceremony and the person we would like to deliver them, wondering about whether a getaway car is necessary, deciding if we want to supply guests with flower petals or bubbles during our ceremony exit, stressing about what the weather will be like, the venue, finding a place to live after the wedding, the legal stuff with name changes and work and health insurance and.....
:supaburn:

edit - how could I forget the expense??? :doh: Also, my poor fiancé. I don't want to be around myself in this nervous wreck like state. He's a real trooper.

IAmNotYourRealDad fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 25, 2013

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

daggerdragon posted:

Yep, it's totally legal for them to do this. It doesn't happen often and you're far more likely to have money taken from your account if you ran into trouble with repayments at some stage.

Most people have accounts with at least two banks. One bank covers your day to day banking and savings and the other bank you get a credit card/mortgage/loan with.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Yeah I feel you, it was awful. I basically stopped sleeping for a while due to the stress. Our wedding was fairly DIY too so I would end up staying up until ungodly hours pondering decorations and other tiny details.

I'm thinking something short and sweet. Anything especially meaningful you remember from your speech?

Yeah my speech was only half a page long. My maid-of-honor held on to the piece of paper for me (and I made her promise not to peek).

Special stuff from mine... I guess I made it a point to really be personal about my thanking people. Like, my family is Chinese, so I ended up thanking them in Chinese even though no one else understood what I was saying. I let my in-laws know how happy I am to take their name. Some generic words for guests in general. My officiant and DJ/MC are both close friends so I thanked them by name. And of course, a shout out to the wedding parties. Basically like, just a line or two for the more important people to thank and some very general, "so happy you can join us" for everyone else.

Like, I would say keep it light too and don't get "too heavy." I feel like that's how toasts and speeches drag on forever. I think what made our vows/toasts/thanks stuff extra special was that we kept our sense of humor about it and kept it short and sweet. Like I started mine with a joke about how longwinded I am so they better get desserts now or something.

Hope that helps!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

After what seems like a crazy whirlwind of awesome I will be getting married tomorrow in a very small ceremony including only our parents, witnesses, and the officiant, but I'm still nervous as hell. Any tips to overcome pre-wedding jitters?

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
I was told to drink a little to loosen up. Haven't had my wedding day yet but I know what it feels like to have a few and it sounds like a good idea actually.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

... I started mine with a joke about how longwinded I am so they better get desserts now or something.

Hope that helps!

Definitely helps, thanks!

I am curious about the order of events though. From the weddings I've attended, the speeches were made prior to the meal being served. It sounds like you made your speech before dessert? I'm still unsure of when the best time to make a speech would be :shrug:

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Definitely helps, thanks!

I am curious about the order of events though. From the weddings I've attended, the speeches were made prior to the meal being served. It sounds like you made your speech before dessert? I'm still unsure of when the best time to make a speech would be :shrug:

The toasts (Maid of Honor and Best Man, for us) were before entrees. But since mine wasn't really a toast, I figured it would be better timed later in the celebration so that it didn't interfere with other people's speeches and stuff.

I would say just see what makes sense for you. Everyone's wedding is different in terms of timing and events. No one is gonna be like, "NO THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME" (unless they are dicks, in which case, gently caress them. It's your wedding).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

From the weddings I've attended, the speeches were made prior to the meal being served. It sounds like you made your speech before dessert? I'm still unsure of when the best time to make a speech would be :shrug:

We sprinkled our speeches throughout the meal, so people could eat a bit and talk a bit between them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I would say just see what makes sense for you. Everyone's wedding is different in terms of timing and events. No one is gonna be like, "NO THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME" (unless they are dicks, in which case, gently caress them. It's your wedding).

This has been my mantra whenever I start getting the "oh god what if I'm not doing this exactly right" mini-panic attacks. It's my wedding, if something isn't exactly to the letter of the etiquette books, who cares?

Also I have no idea how people planned weddings before the internet.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
We had my cake cutting, first dance and garter/bouquet toss early so the photographer could get pictures of it. People hadn't even eaten yet, but it was nice to get it out of the way because being in front of people is a little stressful for me! Even on my wedding day.

Here's the photos if anyone wants to gather inspiration from it! I love our photographer, she's awesome.
http://www.rockthiswedding.blogspot.com/2013/04/sarah-lawrence-41313-southern-missouri.html

Dead Pikachu fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 28, 2013

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Has anyone here made their own playlist for music at the reception? Our friend is a manager for a string quartet, and she got us an absurdly good deal for live music for the cocktail hour and dinner. However, we wanted to have non-string/contemporary music later for dancing and whatnot, so we didn't book them past that. The venue we're using has a sound system to tie into, and we're basically planning on just hooking up an iPad or something to it.

Thing is, I'm not totally sure how to structure a 2-3 hour playlist for a wide variety of people. I have no troubles putting on some music if it's a bunch of my friends hanging out, but a wedding is a different animal. I'm trying to decide if I want to start off with a bunch of "standard" songs geared towards the baby-boomer parents and older folks, and then fade into more eclectic stuff. Or should I just put in whatever I think is good, given that the guests will have been listening to about 3 hours of classical and string music by that point?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Has anyone here made their own playlist for music at the reception? Our friend is a manager for a string quartet, and she got us an absurdly good deal for live music for the cocktail hour and dinner. However, we wanted to have non-string/contemporary music later for dancing and whatnot, so we didn't book them past that. The venue we're using has a sound system to tie into, and we're basically planning on just hooking up an iPad or something to it.

Thing is, I'm not totally sure how to structure a 2-3 hour playlist for a wide variety of people. I have no troubles putting on some music if it's a bunch of my friends hanging out, but a wedding is a different animal. I'm trying to decide if I want to start off with a bunch of "standard" songs geared towards the baby-boomer parents and older folks, and then fade into more eclectic stuff. Or should I just put in whatever I think is good, given that the guests will have been listening to about 3 hours of classical and string music by that point?

Every event I've been to where it's just been a iPod/iPad hooked up to a sound system, some drunk people would decide they wanted to listen to their favorite song RIGHT NOW and keep loving with the music. Or some small child would start mashing buttons and manage to delete the whole playlist.

I'd either hire a DJ for a few hours or appoint someone to be the guardian of the music.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah the iPad would not be accessible to guests/kids. I might have someone take requests or whatever but it's not going to be a free for all.

As for getting a dedicated DJ, that's probably out as we'd now be paying for TWO music vendors, and have to have the DJ set up as the string players break down. The venue isn't huge.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Every event I've been to where it's just been a iPod/iPad hooked up to a sound system, some drunk people would decide they wanted to listen to their favorite song RIGHT NOW and keep loving with the music. Or some small child would start mashing buttons and manage to delete the whole playlist.

I'd either hire a DJ for a few hours or appoint someone to be the guardian of the music.

You could just set a passcode on it. Fairly simple solution to that issue.

I'm doing a playlist for my wedding, but we're going to have a DJ as well. The only reason we're having a DJ though is because the venue we're doing the wedding at has a built in sound system so hiring a DJ is actually a pretty minimal cost because the sound system is essentially part of the venue fee. This way we can pick our playlist, but have someone to make some basic announcements as well. We're doing a playlist not so much because we want to control what is played, but because we're not really doing a traditional wedding and most of our music is going to be instrumental versions of Disney music. People can dance if they want, but our overall goal is to have it more of a mingling sort of event rather than your standard dance based one. We're not doing a first dance or a father daughter dance either. Though we're also not doing a cake cutting or bouquet toss as well. We're really avoiding most of the wedding traditions aside from toasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The DJ company I hired claimed to allow us to choose songs, they even had a fancy online list where we could select each song we wanted, but then the DJ just played whatever he wanted - which for some reason was a lot of Justin Bieber.

It was pretty much the only thing that didn't go right at our wedding.