Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Gio posted:

The Nexus line was what I tried. Honestly I'm just being stupid about the pump. Its dumb as poo poo but the skates fit like a glove. And it was a good price.

e: basically I've learned to stop worrying and love the pump
I have the pump on my 9k's I bought a couple years ago and basically I set it once originally and never worried about it again. Skates fit really nice for me and I've loved them ever since.

Also if you like the lace-lock feature Reebok also owns CCM and I can't remember if they're making skates still but I have a pair of CCM goalie skates that also have the lace-lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I love my Reebok 11ks, the lace lock is amazing and the pump actually comes in handy for me. I also have super flat feet with zero arch so these ended up being the better choice for my wider feet (as opposed to other brand skates of the same size/width)

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

Gio posted:

Bought a pair of Reebok 12K skates. Not gonna lie, the look of the skate is not so great, and the pump is dumb as poo poo, but man are they a comfy pair of skates.

Any opinions? I kinda just let the salespeople sell me a skate tbh, so I can always return them if there is a better option (i.e. is as comfortable for a wide flat foot and skinny ankles but does not have a loving pump).

Reebok/CCM was doing a promo at a LHS where you got 20% off if you tried a bunch of their gear on, so to get a new helmet I tried the Reebok 16k skates. Those were one of the most comfortable skates out of the box I've ever tried. The lacelock thing is really weird though.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The pump comes in handy for me and my wonky ankles so

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if anyone wants a pair of 8k's from three years ago that has both the pump and the locks, let me know. :v:

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I love my 11k's and they have never given me a reason to doubt them, also never ever felt even a slight need to touch the pump button.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
As long as we're talking about skates, I picked up a pair of the EQ50s from hockeymonkey's clearance section. They're marked down to $230 and a total steal, especially, when they had the 20% of clearance sale a couple weeks ago. My feet finally feel happy skating. I was in Vapor 4.0s before this, so the difference is night and day. Unfortunately, I think this means I'll never be able to buy a lower-end skate again, but they may only be unfortunate on my wallet, and even then, it should be years before I need to replace these boots, right? ...right?!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Charlie posted:

As long as we're talking about skates, I picked up a pair of the EQ50s from hockeymonkey's clearance section. They're marked down to $230 and a total steal, especially, when they had the 20% of clearance sale a couple weeks ago. My feet finally feel happy skating. I was in Vapor 4.0s before this, so the difference is night and day. Unfortunately, I think this means I'll never be able to buy a lower-end skate again, but they may only be unfortunate on my wallet, and even then, it should be years before I need to replace these boots, right? ...right?!

My skates are 10 years old kids' Bauer Supremes and I don't see any pressing need to replace them (although occasionally something shiny turns my head for a couple of minutes).

I do need a new helmet, though, just noticed mine is expired. I thought I saw where I could get an obnoxiously purple M11 but apparently that is no longer the case. Alas.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Charlie posted:

Your skates should last you a while unless you skate every day as hard as an NHL player. I just replaced my skates which were four years old but only because I got a sale I couldn't refuse. I was skating in them 5+ days a week and they had plenty of life left in them.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My skates are 10 years old kids' Bauer Supremes and I don't see any pressing need to replace them (although occasionally something shiny turns my head for a couple of minutes).

I do need a new helmet, though, just noticed mine is expired. I thought I saw where I could get an obnoxiously purple M11 but apparently that is no longer the case. Alas.

You can customize M11 helmets at icewarehouse.com if you like the online route. The site says it takes 48 hours to make after ordering, but that seems efficient for a custom item. It's also the same price as the M11's already in-stock so that's pretty cool. I checked and they definitely have obnoxious purple as an option

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So my oldest son is almost three, and he's expressed interest in skating. Having started playing when I was 21, I know approximately zero about the logistics of getting kids on the ice. The advice I've gotten so far is to buy him a helmet and let him walk around on skates for a while. This presents a few questions, not the least of which is: Is the best way really just to head to public skate and drop $10 to watch him walk around on rental skates for 20 minutes?

Anyone done this kind of thing before? I want to make sure he doesn't have a crappy time of it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Preds say they're going to build another rink in Nashville, plan to break ground in August :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

So my oldest son is almost three, and he's expressed interest in skating. Having started playing when I was 21, I know approximately zero about the logistics of getting kids on the ice. The advice I've gotten so far is to buy him a helmet and let him walk around on skates for a while. This presents a few questions, not the least of which is: Is the best way really just to head to public skate and drop $10 to watch him walk around on rental skates for 20 minutes?

Anyone done this kind of thing before? I want to make sure he doesn't have a crappy time of it.

I see parents do this a lot. Helmet and skates and maybe some gloves to soften blows when he falls, then set him loose. Most rinks have cones available or maybe a bucket that the kid can lean on for balance, which will help them learn to dig the edges in so they move forward instead of just sawing the ice.

Sometimes kids will be super jazzed until they actually realize that ice is loving slippery and hard to stand on, which means you'll ease them into it. Plop him on the bench then go skating yourself, guarantee he'll get jealous and want to try again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, what the gently caress cat. :barf:

I put my gear out in the sun to dry it out and you decide to take a nap on it? Better not spend the rest of the day smelling like hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cats are gross and love gross things

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I decided to play on the usually more stacked team at pickup last night, I felt guilty scoring a hat trick. But I think I finally got myself on a beer league team.

Edit: no kitty is cute and likes the stuff cause it smells like you.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2013

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

communist kangaroo posted:

You can customize M11 helmets at icewarehouse.com if you like the online route. The site says it takes 48 hours to make after ordering, but that seems efficient for a custom item. It's also the same price as the M11's already in-stock so that's pretty cool. I checked and they definitely have obnoxious purple as an option

Nice! Thanks.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

My experience is not "the way" by any means but I was 4 when I started skating and I started on rollerblades. I was always tagging along with my older brother, so I got a pair of rollerblades so I could play street hockey with him and the other kids in the neighborhood. It wasn't too soon after that when I got on the ice and eventually joined mini-mites. My parents have told me I picked it up pretty much instantly. In fact, I do remember the first time I skated on ice, at Yost Arena. I remember grabbing the side for awhile and by the end I was able to skate without holding on.

Kids pick stuff up fast. Whichever is best--rollerblades and/or open skating--do that, and as often as he wants.

Gio fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 28, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dangerllama posted:

The toughest thing is probably going to be keeping him from getting discouraged when he doesn't get it right away. From my experience coaching kids a little bit older, 5 and 6 year olds, sometimes they can get a bit pouty. Take it slow, let him know he's doing well, be a good parent basically. If you keep it fun despite the inevitable setbacks he'll want to go again. Definitely get a helmet for him, most rinks I've been to let you rent a helmet for a few extra bucks so that might be better than buying him one. I'd echo the earlier comment to have him wear some snow gloves or something too so he doesn't scrape up his hands on the ice when he falls. He's young but also try to give him a little space so he feels like he's learning it on his own, aka don't hold his hand the whole time. Gio's advice about rollerblades is good too. Rollerblades would be a good way for him to get a better sense of balance and it really helped me when I switched to ice to not feel like I was going to fall over all the time. The feel of ice vs concrete is much different but it's still a confidence booster.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So the votes are in and I'm wearing an A now :toot:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Flyinglemur posted:

So the votes are in and I'm wearing an A now :toot:

Fitting custom title!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Also, what the gently caress cat. :barf:

I put my gear out in the sun to dry it out and you decide to take a nap on it? Better not spend the rest of the day smelling like hockey.

Both of our cats sleep on my hockey bag when I pull it out before a game.

One of them sleeps in the empty bag afterwards once I'm drying my things out in the spare room. He also sleeps on hockey socks, my shin guards, and any jerseys.

sellouts posted:

Cats are gross and love gross things
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I switched to a left handed stick and I scored my first goal. :toot:

I start Hockey 101 next month and I now have skates that fit. Hockey Central had some 11Ks on clearance and they're amaaaaaazing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
11:30 PM start times are brutal. We lost 4-1, with their 4th goal being an empty net. Overall it wasn't bad considering we were playing a team that's been together for 7 or 8 seasons and has 4 or 5 guys who also play in the next division up. Starting to click with my linemates a little more and we're the first line/first PP unit now. Hopefully next week we'll be able to score some goals.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

canuckanese posted:

11:30 PM start times are brutal. We lost 4-1, with their 4th goal being an empty net. Overall it wasn't bad considering we were playing a team that's been together for 7 or 8 seasons and has 4 or 5 guys who also play in the next division up. Starting to click with my linemates a little more and we're the first line/first PP unit now. Hopefully next week we'll be able to score some goals.

Wow that sucks, for the time reason, and the reason that the other team has multiple people who play a level up? I understand getting a sub who could be a ringer but when you have that many people on a team who are sandbagging, that just sucks.

I'm surprised the league lets that happen, maybe they just don't recognize or don't care but the league I've played in kind of looks down on that and will ask a team to move up especially if those players are already playing in that league.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Game last night. I scored our only goal. Superawesome breakaway pass, to the classic NHL '03 power move: Come in wide, and cut across the crease, taking the goalie post to post with me. I leave the puck on the far side. As it sits on the crease the goalie clearly loses site of it and starts thrashing about...which subsequently puts the puck in the net. :feelsgood:

Also, who else is ready for playoff hockey! And by "playoff hockey" I mean, the absolutely dirtiest cheap-shotting overcommitted crapfest that beer league hockey becomes during the NHL playoffs. One of our guys literally almost had his neck broken last night. A forward on the other team took five strides from center ice to absolutely destroy him as he was facing the boards with his head down. No intention of playing the puck. This guy had also got 2 minutes for boarding in the previous period. It's clearly one of his favorite things in the world, along with skating poorly and high-carb foods.

He was immediately ejected, and a couple of our guys got 10-minutes and a game for the ensuing melee. Sometimes the mentality of C hockey is just so :psyduck:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 29, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Verman posted:

Wow that sucks, for the time reason, and the reason that the other team has multiple people who play a level up? I understand getting a sub who could be a ringer but when you have that many people on a team who are sandbagging, that just sucks.

I'm surprised the league lets that happen, maybe they just don't recognize or don't care but the league I've played in kind of looks down on that and will ask a team to move up especially if those players are already playing in that league.

From my understanding some of them just started playing in the league up, so while they are a bit better than most of the players in our division, it's not by a huge margin or anything. Our team has one or two guys who play a division up as well. It was kind of frustrating but at the same time if they hadn't had that handful of guys, they would've had an extremely short bench, not even enough guys to ice two forward lines and two d-pairs. I'm just out there to have fun so in the end it doesn't really bother me.

On a related tangent, one thing that does bother me is guys who slam their sticks on the ice when they have a bad shift or get called off before they get all the ice time they feel like they deserve. It's embarrassing. I almost want them to break their own stick so they realize how stupid they are.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

Are learn to skate classes out of the question?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Also, who else is ready for playoff hockey! And by "playoff hockey" I mean, the absolutely dirtiest cheap-shotting overcommitted crapfest that beer league hockey becomes during the NHL playoffs.

I got a little banged up yesterday.. was the last game of the instructional league and they put us against a team who had developed a "reputation". It wasn't anything you would really label as goony but the guys on that team had absolutely no issue with using every pound of their considerable girth to get people off the puck.. half of them play beer league together so they kind of have a gameplan, and with all the beginners in the league they generate a lot of complaints. At the time it was a heap of fun because it meant I got to push back too, most people in the league are are too unstable on their skates for me to feel comfortable putting my weight into anything.

But this morning I'm sore in several spots from the various bumps, and a couple bruises (one of them being no one's fault, was screening the goalie and a teammate blasted the puck right into me).

Don't know if that counts as a crapfest but it's all I got.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How much should I be able to lift my heel in skates? A teeny bit? None at all? My foot can most assuredly move no where else in the skate except for the heel going straight up and down while in a skating motion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In all the skate fitting I've gone through, salesmen always told me it's okay if your heel feels light in the skate when you lean into your toes. If your heel actually separates from the footbed it's the wrong skate.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We got 2nd place out of 9 in our div at CAHA, lost in the championship game. Didn't help that we were shorthanded for basically the entirety of the second period. The women we were playing were a little bit less stable on their skates than us on average (we had beaten them earlier in the tournament) and they did a lot of drama queen embellishment on their falling after running into us or any one of us putting any pressure on them at all, screaming like they'd been shot. So yeah, 13 minute periods and we had 10 PIM. Maybe 4 mins were legit. We lost 4-0 and their first 3 goals were on the PP (1 was less than a second after a penalty had ended so I'm still counting that as PP). Late in the 3rd I was skating hard down the boards for a loose puck and there was a girl right on me riding me into the boards. I extended and ducked to try to get under her and get to the puck and she stuck her elbow right into my head and up and rammed it against the glass at a weird angle and my neck jammed and I felt like I had been tased and my arms and legs were a bit tingly and then it took me a little bit to get up and then I couldn't lift my head or straighten my neck for awhile but I got up okay and got home eventually. Still feel kind of woozy. No call though. Obviously I rammed my own head into the boards sideways. Their last goal was at the end of the 3rd after this and they celebrated like it was the game winning goal in the Cup finals despite the fact that they were winning 3-0 already.

stupid bitches

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can't believe you guys let Shrek beat both teams.

After the 9:30 game, I saw her in the parking lot with her 5'5" 120lb boyfriend. It was probably the most :laffo: thing I've ever seen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was making a play backchecking last night and got elbowed so hard it went under my cage and knocked it up to my forehead and his elbow still almost broke my nose. The guy got 6 minutes. Had I bled I think they would have given him a misconduct.

It was weird because I was bullshitting with the guy before and he does this. But he apologized like 3 times so it's all good.

Then I got a too many men on the ice penalty because our center came off the ice and a penalty we had running was on the other team on the scoreboard so I thought our guy in the box was a matching penalty. Oops.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can't believe you guys let Shrek beat both teams.

After the 9:30 game, I saw her in the parking lot with her 5'5" 120lb boyfriend. It was probably the most :laffo: thing I've ever seen.

We couldn't do a thing about it when we were shorthanded the whole drat time. I threw a hipcheck into her the first game though (that's what I got the penalty for that game). And yes I totally saw her all up on that dude before she got on the ice. It was gross as hell.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

canuckanese posted:

You guys actually have special teams units? That's impressive.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

robcat posted:

You guys actually have special teams units? That's impressive.

It's not set in stone or anything but when we get a powerplay, if our line wasn't on the ice we're going out there for the start of the powerplay. Our team has two goals this season in two games, I've scored both of them unassisted off of turnovers.

We're actually a brand new team for our division, with very few guys who've actually played together before, so we're just throwing out what works and right now that's just my line. I don't want to be a cock but it's mostly because I'm on that line and I'm the only one who's consistently getting chances/making plays for my linemates right now. I had 9 of our 17 shots last night, not because I'm a puck hog or anything, but just because the other lines can't really get anything going. I'm hoping as the season progresses the guys start to click, improve on their skills, etc. That's the main goal, aside from just having fun in general. Right now it's tough because people are constantly out of position or dumping the puck without checking if they have a pass open. My biggest pet peeve thus far is our wings have a tendency to pinch down in the defensive zone, which leaves the opponents points open all the time, I've seen the opponents in our zone for a solid 3-4 minutes at a time. Even when we get the puck I've seen wingers passing the puck up from the faceoff circle to where they should be in order to have an effective break out. Centers trying to cherry pick and not playing as a "third defenseman" in our zone can be frustrating too. It's a lower level league, so it's to be expected, but I'm hoping over time everyone will get the hang of their role and what they should be doing. I'm doing my best to just help out and give some pointers, I'm not the best skater coming from an inline background but I do know the nuts and bolts of general hockey skills regarding positioning and overall strategy. If by the end of the year we've won a few games and everyone's improved their own skills, I'll be very pleased. Mostly I just want everyone to have fun, it really gets to me when guys are slamming their sticks on the ice for no reason, chill out dudes, it's novice league.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
lol I was going to make PK and PP units for the championship game at CAHA then I thought nah that's for tryhards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Specialized units for any teams that include player who are just learning kinda sucks. People lose confidence in their ability and don't get the chance to learn or get better.

Just my opinion but any team who has learn to play adults on it shouldn't really act like they're any good and should focus on having fun and getting better. But Im not really a try hard I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Wouldnt guys who cant skate NOT want to be on the ice in a PK situation?

I cringe so hard when that happens.