Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jmBbG4T6c

Panda bear collab is up.

Where the hell did they get video of their show at the hollywood bowl? I want that.

e: They were kind of dicks. They let kanye west sample stronger, did a track for pharrell, produced two tracks for kayne, but wouldn't let anco or panda bear do samples.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

incoherent posted:

e: They were kind of dicks. They let kanye west sample stronger, did a track for pharrell, produced two tracks for kayne, but wouldn't let anco or panda bear do samples.
I have a lot of respect for that, personally.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Handen posted:

Also, with regard to all of the complaints of Pharrell's voice, has anyone really been far even as decided to consider that Daft Punk's refusal to auto-tune or otherwise correct the take is a statement of contrast between what we've all been trained to think sounds correct, and that Pharrell is *gasp* human after all? Just a little musing that a friend and I had earlier tonight...

His voice is processed though? There's pretty obvious echo/chorus and tuning effects. Auto-tune isn't some magic button that makes everything sound amazing. Discovery was good because Romanthony is talented and has an interesting vocal style, not because Daft Punk made the choice to auto-tune him. If you take a bad vocalist and run it through the best effects in the world, you'll still hear a boring vocalist, it'll just sound like he has a perfect sense of pitch (which is exactly what happened with Pharrell).

It a nice bit of rationalization to claim that any flaws in your idol's work are just "a statement of contrast" though. Daft Punk are truly mad geniuses, their choice to use Pharrell was nothing but a calculated prank designed to make the listener realize that mediocrity is a false construct.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Well Giorgio Moroder marveled at their ears, talked about their extended obsessions with getting sounds right and relayed a story about their engineer saying Guy is going to be one of the only people he knows he would notice the difference between the mic's they were using to record him. And if you're an engineer for Daft Punk you probably run in circles of people with excellent ears.

Who knows if it's all true but it's a couple of successful artists who get to dictate their own albums to the nth degree. I wouldn't be shocked to learned they're actually very obsessive about the production and whatever they did or didn't do to Pharell was calculated and purposeful.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Handen posted:

Also, with regard to all of the complaints of Pharrell's voice, has anyone really been far even as decided to consider that Daft Punk's refusal to auto-tune or otherwise correct the take is a statement of contrast between what we've all been trained to think sounds correct, and that Pharrell is *gasp* human after all? Just a little musing that a friend and I had earlier tonight...

This is a dumb thought, sorry. There are lots of bands that don't use autotune. Just because people don't like a guy's singing doesn't mean it's because it's "natural." I just don't like the singing.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I really like Pharrell's voice, and think it suits the song :shobon:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

incoherent posted:

Why does this make them dicks?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Animal collective is no where near the scale kanye or pharrell are, so its understandable that they denied it at first.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Also, they're Animal Collective

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Kinda boring unless you're a huge AC fan. It's kinda lame now how they won't tease any of the other tracks so it's basically just guys talking over complete silence about how they made the track.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I've come to think Pharrell is the weak link in Get Lucky. It's not necessarily a problem with him or his performance, but the vocal melody is very bland. "Weeeeeee've... come too far..."

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Popcorn posted:

I've come to think Pharrell is the weak link in Get Lucky. It's not necessarily a problem with him or his performance, but the vocal melody is very bland. "Weeeeeee've... come too far..."

Hmm, I actually really like the part you quoted. I think the verses about the Phoenix and stuff is the weak part. Then when he sings over the vocoder it actually sounds really nice. He sings on another track too right? I'll be interested to hear what that's like.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Wario In Real Life posted:

Kinda boring unless you're a huge AC fan. It's kinda lame now how they won't tease any of the other tracks so it's basically just guys talking over complete silence about how they made the track.

Im a Huge AC fan but lets be real Panda Bear is just a boring person. His interviews are always terrible, video or print

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just heard Get Lucky being played as an outro on msnbc. That song certainly got around fast.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah I heard it as an outdo on NPR.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hmm, I actually really like the part you quoted. I think the verses about the Phoenix and stuff is the weak part.

Yeah, they're weak too.

I still think the song suffers from a lack of structure. It just kind of loops more than anything. Yes, I know Daft Punk have made a living of this, but this is clearly trying to be a conventional disco radio hit, and it would have benefited from a better structure, some more developed ideas and direction.

BUT!! this is just the radio edit. The collab videos suggest there's at least a cooler intro to look forward to on the album version.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Guess who just got their first-ever Top 40 hit on Billboard?

quote:

Just outside the Hot 100's top 10, Daft Punk notches its highest-ever rank, as "Get Lucky," featuring Pharrell Williams, launches at No. 20 with 113,000 downloads sold. The act had previously reached No. 61 with both 1997's "Around the World" and 2001's "One More Time." "Lucky" starts with just three days of sales, following its April 19 release, although its opening week sales still mark the duo's best frame.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I was just coming here to post that. Yeah, that's really awesome for them to finally break through on the singles charts. It seems the U.S. is more open to dance music of Daft Punk's style than back in the late 90s and early 2000s when those other two singles were released. That, and the fact it's just a darn good song.

Looks like it's also going to give them their first-ever #1 hit in the UK.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm surprised One More Time only got to 60. That song was EVERYWHERE in 2001 / 2002. When I picture 2001 in my head, that song is playing in the background somewhere.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nick Biped posted:

It seems the U.S. is more open to dance music of Daft Punk's style than back in the late 90s and early 2000s when those other two singles were released.

Definitely. Half of the backing music in modern rap and pop is just house music of differing levels of bombasity now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jmBbG4T6c

Panda bear collab is up.

Where the hell did they get video of their show at the hollywood bowl? I want that.

I'm confused. The impression that I got wasn't that he was asking to sample their stuff. It's hard to understand but he says because he words it kind of weird:

"We really wanted to do a remix of one of the* songs, and we really wanted them to do one."

This makes me think he wanted them to do a remix of one of his songs? The other way around doesn't make sense because there have been plenty of remixes of Daft Punk songs by other people.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Billboard uses YouTube in their calculations now. This is not surprising at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm confused. The impression that I got wasn't that he was asking to sample their stuff. It's hard to understand but he says because he words it kind of weird:

"We really wanted to do a remix of one of the* songs, and we really wanted them to do one."

This makes me think he wanted them to do a remix of one of his songs? The other way around doesn't make sense because there have been plenty of remixes of Daft Punk songs by other people.

He wanted a Daft Punk remix of one of his songs. Which is something they pretty much don't do, ever, whoever you are. I can't think of them doing a single remix of a tune they didn't create. I figure if there's no remixes by them of tracks on Ed Banger then it's pretty well never happening.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

well why not posted:

He wanted a Daft Punk remix of one of his songs. Which is something they pretty much don't do, ever, whoever you are. I can't think of them doing a single remix of a tune they didn't create. I figure if there's no remixes by them of tracks on Ed Banger then it's pretty well never happening.

They did remixes for Ian Pooley and Scott Grooves and some other dudes I can't remember now.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

okkie posted:

They did remixes for Ian Pooley and Scott Grooves and some other dudes I can't remember now.

Ian Pooley, Scott Grooves, and Gabrielle, which were all in the 90s. Maybe some others I'm not aware of. Hence why they said they don't do that anymore. The aforementioned remixes are pretty good and are all on the Musique compilation. The Gabrielle and Scott Grooves remixes are pretty much original Daft Punk tracks that sample a small part of the source material (or in the case of Scott Grooves, it samples the song that he sampled (Mothership Connection)).

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I love bad fake Daft Punk leaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt6AGNpuxbQ

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
lol that's so awful. Who are the people making these things?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Just heard this for the first time. From early '96. Very awesome funky, disco-y house. And very cool to listen to this and then "Get Lucky" and think about the same guys making them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKja4Ij75Y

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Heck, listen to this and Get Lucky and try to comprehend it's the same guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFZ1MgY_0g

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

CaptainYesterday posted:

Heck, listen to this and Get Lucky and try to comprehend it's the same guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFZ1MgY_0g

That's got them written all over it!

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

I am OK posted:

That's got them written all over it!

No, you misread it. That says DAT, not Daft.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dont think this is considered :filez:

Someone made a "studio recording" of Alive 2007. It is pretty badass. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KfnbpVTCU

Don't listen to the youtube one though, download it using that link. The quality is infinitely better.

edit:

drat, there are some details in the tracks I never picked up before, this is so cool!

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 28, 2013

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Well this is pretty much my favorite video on the internet today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDwlt_zAM8

A cockatoo dancing to Phoenix

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sonicice posted:

Hahahahaha oh my god, I want one! :3:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I didn't see it mentioned here but that Coachella teaser for RAM was put on the official Columbia Records YouTube account like a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ep2NDJXS5g

It's nothing special watching it now but here it is.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

sonicice posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. It's actually bobbing its head in time with the kick. I didn't realize birds could pick up on rhythm like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It probably could have been done a little better, but here's a mashup I just found containing two of my favorite songs this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYhs-7jUCE

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/55151/Five_ways_Wee_Waa_is_preparing_for_Daft_Punk

Oh poo poo.

"#2 THE HELMETS ARE COMING
The biggest secret, according our man in Wee Waa, is that Sony will distribute hundreds of Daft Punk helmets around town in the coming weeks with the aim to get locals taking snaps that will be used as part of the streamed launch – that means farmers, truckies and so on at work with Daft Punk headgear on. As Jim reports: “No sign of helmets from Sony yet, but I’m guessing that will happen closer to the date.”

:snoop: drat son!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Just heard Get Lucky being played on top40 radio for the first time :dance:

I wonder how high this will be able to make it on the Hot 100 in the US. God it would be amazing if they could pull a number 1 song out of the hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Awesome! I don't listen to Top 40 radio, but the station I listen to (an alternative rock station) has played it at least twice, as far as I know.

EDIT: Make it thrice!

• Locked thread