Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Have they said for SMTIV whether or not it will include the ability to choose which skills to inherit instead of having to menu grind? If that's in, it's a day one buy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

kthegreat posted:

Have they said for SMTIV whether or not it will include the ability to choose which skills to inherit instead of having to menu grind? If that's in, it's a day one buy for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaaCeAe8bUI

You can select what skills to pass on (you see it at the ~25 sec mark).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaaCeAe8bUI

You can select what skills to pass on (you see it at the ~25 sec mark).

Apparently the Cathedral of Shadows exists in 3D Dot Game Heroes' world now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Okay, so is there like a time gating or something on unlocking the ability to buy Lucifrost because the rest of the demons on this Nemechi path have long since unlocked and I've pumped like 20-40 Play Coins past that into this little snotball. I mean, sure, I could wait until I've gained the 67 more levels I need to actually use him, but I want to have the prospective option.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
You can trade in coins and evolve him/her once every 24 hours.

I wonder if Nemechi carries over in NG+?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Aerofallosov posted:

You can trade in coins and evolve him/her once every 24 hours.

I know. Nemechi is at its final form. I have Thor unlocked, too, so I must be making SOME progress. I just can't seem to get this last lousy demon.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Oh! For what it's worth, I often found going to fuse stuff or just running around a little while would unlock it.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Soul Hackers can reaaaaaaaaaaaaally show its age sometimes. I'm at the boss of Algon Electronics and While I didn't particularly mind getting instawiped by Megidolan at first, then I realized the longest goddamn cutscene in history plays before it and it's unskippable. The second time, when despite several stacks of Rakukaja a badly timed Megidolan also got me I almost gave the game up

EDIT: Not only that but you also have to mash x during part of the cutscene or it won't advance. I tried a third time only for the boss' initial confuse attack to hit on every single target the first turn, and three of my demons returned themselves to the COMP that turn. I normally don't mind getting hosed by the RNG but COME ON I am not sitting through this poo poo again.

Yarrington fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 29, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I just beat Soul Hackers. I'm assuming that I got the "bad" ending, since the walkthrough I was using said that Spooky dies by default on a non new game + playthrough, and he died for me. But I'm a little confused, because the walkthrough just ends at the Possessed Spooky fight, which lead me to believe that that's the last boss on the bad ending. But the game continued for me after that, and I fought an actual final boss. Can someone clear this up for me?

Edit: I'm starting to really miss Spooky. :(

Snix fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2013

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I'm hoping someone who played the original SMT can help me out here. I'm stuck in the part right after you get out of the Kongokai. There's two different quest lines going on, one to fight Ozawa in Shinjuku and another to fight the Red and Black Barons in Roppongi.

I have a Gushing Jar, which is necessary to beat one of the barons, but I can't trigger that fight until I talk to Alice. I am unable to talk to Alice because the Chaos hero is still in my party, who I gather is supposed to leave after I beat Ozawa. However, I can't fight Ozawa because I have this Gushing Jar in my inventory, he refuses to talk to me. This gamefaqs thread appeared to have a fix http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/564896-shin-megami-tensei/65287685 but I can't talk to the hooded man that they want me to talk to, because I talked to him previously and now he's gone.

Anyone able to help me out with this, or am I pretty much boned?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I went through the mall/warehouse three times (I got to the basement, remembered I was supposed to talk to Mary and left, then on my second trip I accidentally triggered the end of the dungeon so I had to go back through a third time to get the last of the items) and the Monkey Research Lab (without Caps Lock or Estoma) tonight. I know Shemhezai is coming up, and he stills inspires terror in me even after all these years. I'm a little burnt out.

Fury Tonatiuh has been a total champ. Between being able to trade him for Lugh (and then fusing Lugh into a sword) and Radiance, he's pretty consistently been an MVP.

I can almost forgive a lot of the translation issues when I see things like this though. :3:

Snix posted:

I just beat Soul Hackers. I'm assuming that I got the "bad" ending, since the walkthrough I was using said that Spooky dies by default on a non new game + playthrough, and he died for me. But I'm a little confused, because the walkthrough just ends at the Possessed Spooky fight, which lead me to believe that that's the last boss on the bad ending. But the game continued for me after that, and I fought an actual final boss. Can someone clear this up for me?

Edit: I'm starting to really miss Spooky. :(

Nope, the game continues regardless of Spooky's fate. The game ends at the same point on both the Good and Bad ending routes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Andronian posted:

I'm hoping someone who played the original SMT can help me out here. I'm stuck in the part right after you get out of the Kongokai. There's two different quest lines going on, one to fight Ozawa in Shinjuku and another to fight the Red and Black Barons in Roppongi.

I have a Gushing Jar, which is necessary to beat one of the barons, but I can't trigger that fight until I talk to Alice. I am unable to talk to Alice because the Chaos hero is still in my party, who I gather is supposed to leave after I beat Ozawa. However, I can't fight Ozawa because I have this Gushing Jar in my inventory, he refuses to talk to me. This gamefaqs thread appeared to have a fix http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/564896-shin-megami-tensei/65287685 but I can't talk to the hooded man that they want me to talk to, because I talked to him previously and now he's gone.

From what I remember, there is an order at that point in time. You need to fight Ozawa first (technically you're fighting against Takeminakata) so as to get Chaos Hero to grow desperate enough to fuse with one of your demons. He leaves your part afterwards because you will only "slow him down" :doh:.

Once that whole shebang is done, you can obtain the Heroine and then off you go to deal with this Roppongi business. Basically, by the time you get to Roppongi, you should have only 3 humans in your party: You, the Heroine and the Law Dude.

If the game is not allowing you to move forward, then yeah, I would recommend you to start over. :(

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Andronian posted:

If you're not using the patched version of the rom, consider patching it. Also, if it's the Gushing Jar that's causing the problem, then I believe it's possible to get around that, as you can get another from the chest in roppongi IIRC, or from the gem exchange. And yes, you must defeat Ozawa first and have a battle with Takeminakata.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

While VS Poker is good for guaranteeing yourself a decent amount of coins, unless you are brilliant at poker, getting 50,000 coins will take a long time. I found that it's actually a lot quicker to play the dice game. What I did was bet the maximum on three numbers adjacent to one-another, and then put the maximum amount in the Frost Bet. If one of those numbers is rolled, I then played the bonus game until it reached the maximum amount of times played, or until I reached around 5,000 and didn't want to lose that to the roll of a seven. Two, Three, and Twelve often have high pay-outs, but that's because they are the hardest to roll. I often go for the numbers in the middle, usually excluding seven, because it's the easiest number to roll, thus having the lowest pay-out.

Sad to say that this isn't working out too well for me. Putting coins on 5, 6, and 8 more often than not results in me missing, and having to reload. Do you do Jack Bets or is it not worth it?

By the way, is there a soft reset in this game?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Pollyanna posted:

Sad to say that this isn't working out too well for me. Putting coins on 5, 6, and 8 more often than not results in me missing, and having to reload. Do you do Jack Bets or is it not worth it?

By the way, is there a soft reset in this game?

Nope. Hit "Home", exit, and reload.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

El Belmondo posted:

If you're not using the patched version of the rom, consider patching it. Also, if it's the Gushing Jar that's causing the problem, then I believe it's possible to get around that, as you can get another from the chest in roppongi IIRC, or from the gem exchange. And yes, you must defeat Ozawa first and have a battle with Takeminakata.

Oh, perfect, thanks! I didn't realize I could get another jar, I thought it was just like, a quest item of some sort. And yeah it is patched with the latest patch, I haven't had any issues apart from this confusion.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
The King Frost boss in Soul Hackers is bullshit. He uses Last Resort when his health gets too low. Alright, just have everyone guard or use a physical mirror. Oh, wait, he moves before my party, so I can't use them in time. It'd be one thing if physical mirrors only stopped having effect when a physical attack is used, meaning that I could use the mirror ahead of time, but instead, they're only useful for the turn they were used. Would I be correct to assume that my only hope is to increase my agility?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Snix posted:

The King Frost boss in Soul Hackers is bullshit. He uses Last Resort when his health gets too low. Alright, just have everyone guard or use a physical mirror. Oh, wait, he moves before my party, so I can't use them in time. It'd be one thing if physical mirrors only stopped having effect when a physical attack is used, meaning that I could use the mirror ahead of time, but instead, they're only useful for the turn they were used. Would I be correct to assume that my only hope is to increase my agility?

Do you have a pair of in-line skates? You can buy them from the store and they boost your agility by 3. There's also a couple of weapons Nemissa can equip that raise her agility by 2 points, so that'd be five extra points on her. That boss has 18 agility, so that's really the number to beat. You could also try summoning Suzaku (or maybe it's Hueng Fang in this version?), which has Sukukaja to boost your evasion and Tetrakarn (which is the same effect as Attack Mirror), but I think you'll have to slap some Nigi Mitamas on it too to ensure it's fast enough to move first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The penultimate boss in Soul Hackers is also bullshit. How do I stop the dumb laser and Spore attacks?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

The penultimate boss in Soul Hackers is also bullshit. How do I stop the dumb laser and Spore attacks?

The spores deal gun damage, so they can be reflected by Tetrakarn/Attack Mirrors. The other thing is Almighty, so, uh... Rakukaja and Tarunda, and pray for the best.

I suppose you could also try and stun the boss with Lightning/Ice magic/swords.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

So now that I'm finally Lv. 41, how do I make Anubis?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Booky posted:

So now that I'm finally Lv. 41, how do I make Anubis?

Given SMT2's fusion system, I don't think you're going to get a concrete example as there are a bunch of ways you can do it. You'll need to use components roughly around the level of your target. Triple fusions with a beast-type demon thrown in the mix is most likely to get you the results you want. Anubis is a Shinju (God-Beast, I have no idea what the translation calls it) which is a high-class demon so if you want to do it with a double fusion you'll need to use Light demons in the mix. A Seiju (Holy-Beast, again I dunno what it's called in the translation) would be good to try because it's a beast-type.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how they ask who said "Man is a thinking reed" in Soul Hackers. I remember that from Persona 4! :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Genpei Turtle posted:

Given SMT2's fusion system, I don't think you're going to get a concrete example as there are a bunch of ways you can do it. You'll need to use components roughly around the level of your target. Triple fusions with a beast-type demon thrown in the mix is most likely to get you the results you want. Anubis is a Shinju (God-Beast, I have no idea what the translation calls it) which is a high-class demon so if you want to do it with a double fusion you'll need to use Light demons in the mix. A Seiju (Holy-Beast, again I dunno what it's called in the translation) would be good to try because it's a beast-type.

Ohh, so like Majuu + Tenshi + Youki or something?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Make sure you load your clear game save!

What changes after doing this? Is there a new game +?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

What changes after doing this? Is there a new game +?

Just do it, you'll see.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Just do it, you'll see.

That put me in HQ. I got message about a disturbance at the top of the Sea Ark. I have never been able to go any higher than 3F on that thing. I assume that's a postgame boss? Is that it?

Incidentally, the first time I did that, I accidentally went to Paradigm X instead. When I backed out and tried to check the message on Summoner Net, it just said "There is no new information on Summoner Net." gg QA

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Do you have a pair of in-line skates? You can buy them from the store and they boost your agility by 3. There's also a couple of weapons Nemissa can equip that raise her agility by 2 points, so that'd be five extra points on her. That boss has 18 agility, so that's really the number to beat. You could also try summoning Suzaku (or maybe it's Hueng Fang in this version?), which has Sukukaja to boost your evasion and Tetrakarn (which is the same effect as Attack Mirror), but I think you'll have to slap some Nigi Mitamas on it too to ensure it's fast enough to move first.
Alright, I tried this, with Nemissa as my agility player. She goes before King Frost when I put her in the top left slot. Until he used Last Resort, which let him go first. ... Why!? Game, why do you do this!?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That put me in HQ. I got message about a disturbance at the top of the Sea Ark. I have never been able to go any higher than 3F on that thing. I assume that's a postgame boss? Is that it?

Incidentally, the first time I did that, I accidentally went to Paradigm X instead. When I backed out and tried to check the message on Summoner Net, it just said "There is no new information on Summoner Net." gg QA

Yes. The Sea Ark is a lot like the bomb shelter/factory in Persona 2 in that the new sections open up at really awkward times - like the sixth floor doesn't open up until you finish the dungeon before the monolith, the eighth floor doesn't open until you're like at the third floor of the final dungeon, that sort of thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Yes. The Sea Ark is a lot like the bomb shelter/factory in Persona 2 in that the new sections open up at really awkward times - like the sixth floor doesn't open up until you finish the dungeon before the monolith, the eighth floor doesn't open until you're like at the third floor of the final dungeon, that sort of thing.

Is there anything in particular I need to do here, or can I just skip up to the 10th floor?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there anything in particular I need to do here, or can I just skip up to the 10th floor?

You can just go straight to the top floor.

Snix posted:

Alright, I tried this, with Nemissa as my agility player. She goes before King Frost when I put her in the top left slot. Until he used Last Resort, which let him go first. ... Why!? Game, why do you do this!?

Well that's irritating. Have you tried going after the other bosses? That should net you some levels for extra HP/Agility. You might also try Femme Rangda's Mystic Change item, which is an armor that'll make you immune to physical attacks but make you super weak to magic. You'd also need 20 Strength to be able to equip it. You'd be immune to self destruct, but you'd still have to worry about his Mabufula and Ice Breath skills...

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

TurnipFritter posted:

Well that's irritating. Have you tried going after the other bosses? That should net you some levels for extra HP/Agility. You might also try Femme Rangda's Mystic Change item, which is an armor that'll make you immune to physical attacks but make you super weak to magic. You'd also need 20 Strength to be able to equip it. You'd be immune to self destruct, but you'd still have to worry about his Mabufula and Ice Breath skills...

I don't think you can clear them out of order. Each boss door gets unlocked by the one before it. I went with pumping agility in the main game instead of endurance, which worked out pretty well for King Frost and a couple of the other uber bosses. I managed to kill King Frost before he could self-destruct by paralyzing him with Nemissa's Zionga. I think no matter what, you're gonna have to pump up your agility. Some of the later parts will probably eat you alive without you having more speed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Snix posted:

I circumvented all of that by spending almost 80% of my mag to fuse a Kartikeya. Doing a triple fusion of Dominion, Grendel, and Hariti (the former two you can just pick up in dungeons, Grendel actually being in that dungeon; Hariti, you can fuse by using Hoyau Kamui + Halphas + Nata Taishi) gives you a Kartikeya with 28 Agility and it has both Tetrakarn and Makarakarn. These spells are dirt cheap (6 MP!) and it acts faster than like 4 out of 5 of the bosses in that dungeon (and by spamming either one of those spells turn after turn, you can actually completely shut down the offense of almost all of those bosses).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I haven't seen any of the SMT anime before. Is any of it decent quality and worth watching?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Norns posted:

I haven't seen any of the SMT anime before. Is any of it decent quality and worth watching?

Persona 4 is, yes. Otherwise...

No.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

No.

I like to assume the comic makes more sense. Like maybe the main character interacts with the rest of the cast, or maybe the members of that coven actually have a purpose, or goals, or names.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

No.

I dunno, I'd watch the Adventures of Clown Goku.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

kirbysuperstar posted:

No.

That is some hair on Cerberus. I bet he could pull off a mean Mahairudyne.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

kirbysuperstar posted:

No.

You take that back, Tokyo Revelations is the greatest love story of our day and age. :arghfist::saddowns:

TurnipFritter posted:

I like to assume the comic makes more sense. Like maybe the main character interacts with the rest of the cast, or maybe the members of that coven actually have a purpose, or goals, or names.

No, I can assure you the comic is almost as ridiculous, perhaps even more so in different ways, lacks a sense of general comprehension, and has the artistic quality of a yaoi fangirl.

What the gently caress is going on :nws::nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do you own that or is there actually a scan floating around?

I'd totally do the cleanup and typsetting for some Megaten manga translation.