Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I dunno, I never had any problems keeping my 3GS and 4 baseband unlocked.

In fact, I think the only reason I stopped caring about unlocks in general was because the cell companies started to relent. Sprint seems to be the only big company these days that is unwilling to give out a fully-unlocked device. Verizon and T-Mobile iPhones are unlocked from the getgo, and AT&T will unlock you after paying a few bills.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

AT&T is after contract is over

Or you can just do the $10 eBay unlock special?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Texts from certain people get segmented at 155 characters and I receive them in reverse order. Is this issue related to jailbreak at all?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's on their end because of their carrier or phone.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Texts from certain people get segmented at 155 characters and I receive them in reverse order. Is this issue related to jailbreak at all?

Nope that happens a lot. I used to have the same problem on my old Motorola phone when I got really long texts.

dranin
Aug 13, 2012
Quick question: I'm upgrading from a JB 3G to my dad's un-JB 4S, and I'm wondering if there's any point in jailbreaking a 4S? Pretty much the only things I use my jailbreak for are to customise my phone's appearance, have a wallpaper on the homescreen, and to use MXTube. Nothing overly techy, just things that I can't do on a normal 3G.
The problem is that I read on BigBoss' blog a little while back that the JB window for the 4S/5 had closed at iOS 6.1.3, with no option to downgrade. Knowing my dad, it's probably at 6.1.3 because he likes to upgrade things ASAP...

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

dranin posted:

Quick question: I'm upgrading from a JB 3G to my dad's un-JB 4S, and I'm wondering if there's any point in jailbreaking a 4S? Pretty much the only things I use my jailbreak for are to customise my phone's appearance, have a wallpaper on the homescreen, and to use MXTube. Nothing overly techy, just things that I can't do on a normal 3G.
The problem is that I read on BigBoss' blog a little while back that the JB window for the 4S/5 had closed at iOS 6.1.3, with no option to downgrade. Knowing my dad, it's probably at 6.1.3 because he likes to upgrade things ASAP...

If it's at 6.1.3 you won't be able to JB it. You can't download Youtube videos on vanilla iOS AFAIK. Changing a wallpaper is doable, but that's basically it as far as aesthetic customization.

dranin
Aug 13, 2012

Thirst Mutilator posted:

If it's at 6.1.3 you won't be able to JB it. You can't download Youtube videos on vanilla iOS AFAIK. Changing a wallpaper is doable, but that's basically it as far as aesthetic customization.

I'm aware, but I'm going to rephrase anyway. Assuming my dad hasn't upgraded to 6.1.3, would JB'ing his soon-to-be-old phone be worth it?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Depends on your usage obviously, but there's really no reason not to if possible.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

bobfather posted:

Sprint seems to be the only big company these days that is unwilling to give out a fully-unlocked device. Verizon and T-Mobile iPhones are unlocked from the getgo, and AT&T will unlock you after paying a few bills.

I called Sprint a day after getting my 4S to ask them to unlock it and they did. It's not unlocked from the start, but it's close enough.

dranin
Aug 13, 2012

Wario In Real Life posted:

Depends on your usage obviously, but there's really no reason not to if possible.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, post-JB I did start using my phone as a mini computer. The SNES/GameBoy emulators might work properly and let me actually save. I use more Cydia apps than AppStore ones, especially MxTube. One problem I'm worried about is the phone slowing down. The 4S vanilla is a million times than my 3G, but it could be because my phone's a piece of poo poo.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ihatepants posted:

I called Sprint a day after getting my 4S to ask them to unlock it and they did. It's not unlocked from the start, but it's close enough.

They'll only unlock it for international travel. Domestic carriers stay blacklisted even after Sprint "unlocks" your phone.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Space Gopher posted:

They'll only unlock it for international travel. Domestic carriers stay blacklisted even after Sprint "unlocks" your phone.

Ah I didn't realize that. I only need the phone unlocked for international travel anyway.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

dranin posted:

Hmm... Now that I think about it, post-JB I did start using my phone as a mini computer. The SNES/GameBoy emulators might work properly and let me actually save. I use more Cydia apps than AppStore ones, especially MxTube. One problem I'm worried about is the phone slowing down. The 4S vanilla is a million times than my 3G, but it could be because my phone's a piece of poo poo.

The 4S will be a gigantic leap compared to your 3G. That's three generations of phone and processor upgrades (3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S). Even 3G to 3GS was a pretty big leap of speed back then. My 4S is still snappy even though I have a ton of tweaks installed. Zephyr, BiteSMS, NCSettings, Winterboard, JellyLock, and more that I can't think of at the top of my head. The newest version of the GBA emulator gpSPhone was just released which works really great. You might also want to look into ProTube Extension for YouTube 2, which adds video downloading directly into the YouTube app. Though I'm sure MxTube works just as well still.

There's even a package on Cydia that will get rid of all your jailbreak stuff and start you out fresh with just Cydia again, if need be.

dranin
Aug 13, 2012

Cawd Rud posted:

The 4S will be a gigantic leap compared to your 3G. That's three generations of phone and processor upgrades (3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S). Even 3G to 3GS was a pretty big leap of speed back then. My 4S is still snappy even though I have a ton of tweaks installed. Zephyr, BiteSMS, NCSettings, Winterboard, JellyLock, and more that I can't think of at the top of my head. The newest version of the GBA emulator gpSPhone was just released which works really great. You might also want to look into ProTube Extension for YouTube 2, which adds video downloading directly into the YouTube app. Though I'm sure MxTube works just as well still.

There's even a package on Cydia that will get rid of all your jailbreak stuff and start you out fresh with just Cydia again, if need be.

I remember the 3GS being released. The most exciting thing was it coming in white to match Apple's hipster userbase.
MxTube hasn't been updated for at least two years, I think? Its creator took a break in 2010 and hasn't come back. Plus the search function leaves a lot to be desired... For some strange reason it won't download the 4th of any series directly from the series' creator. I'm really looking forward to getting that not shite phone now. Do you have the 8GB or 16GB model?

GBA emulator? Sweet, no more buying pirated GBA cartridges off eBay!

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

dranin posted:

I remember the 3GS being released. The most exciting thing was it coming in white to match Apple's hipster userbase.
MxTube hasn't been updated for at least two years, I think? Its creator took a break in 2010 and hasn't come back. Plus the search function leaves a lot to be desired... For some strange reason it won't download the 4th of any series directly from the series' creator. I'm really looking forward to getting that not shite phone now. Do you have the 8GB or 16GB model?

GBA emulator? Sweet, no more buying pirated GBA cartridges off eBay!
I don't use ProTube Extension myself, but it was recently released and seemed to be implemented well from what I saw. I do remember trying MxTube way back in the day and it was fairly clunky. Apps and tweaks as a whole have matured and gotten much better since then.

I have the 16GB model, which I think is the smallest they make the 4S in. And yeah, emulators work great on the 4S.

What's the latest version of iOS the 3G can run, 4.x? Even just being able to use the latest apps will be worth the upgrade, not even considering the extra speed and extra RAM. So even if you can't jailbreak the 4S, you'll still have a lot to look forward to. Of course, you'll have a bit more to look forward to if you can!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The latest releases of Xcode won't even let you compile apps for the 3G anymore, even if you wanted to target iOS4 :q:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
New tweak is out, "MessageBox". Allows chat heads outside of the Facebook app. I must say, its a great idea even if its a tad glitchy at times. I wish the heads themselves disappeared when not in use though. Having my friends staring at me as I go through apps on my phone is a tad creepy.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My mate was selling his brand new/sealed I5 as he was short on money and was planning to get a 2nd had I4 with it. I piped up and we did a nice little swaps. My I4 and £250 for his new I5 - well chuffed. Got it home and it came with 6.1.3 out of the box :(. It's something that I can live with, as I mainly used it for tweaks rather than key jb features. Oh well. Farewell evasion jailbreak, I hardly knew thee.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
BattSaver is an annoying tweak since it's buggy as all hell. I lost the 3G radio until I installed another tweak to turn it back on.

dranin
Aug 13, 2012

Cawd Rud posted:

I don't use ProTube Extension myself, but it was recently released and seemed to be implemented well from what I saw. I do remember trying MxTube way back in the day and it was fairly clunky. Apps and tweaks as a whole have matured and gotten much better since then.

I have the 16GB model, which I think is the smallest they make the 4S in. And yeah, emulators work great on the 4S.

What's the latest version of iOS the 3G can run, 4.x? Even just being able to use the latest apps will be worth the upgrade, not even considering the extra speed and extra RAM. So even if you can't jailbreak the 4S, you'll still have a lot to look forward to. Of course, you'll have a bit more to look forward to if you can!

16GB is the minimum? Sweet now I can have a few dozen videos and not worry about space!

4.2.1... A lot of apps say "You should upgrade to at least 4.3.x" without realising that 3G users can't. loving Apple.
I'm hoping that there's a JB for 6.1.3 soon. Just imagine the potential.... :D

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just letting you guys know that after installing the Facebook chat bubbles and keeping it at regular settings, my phone got really hot and drained 20%. Turned it off and it's normal again.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
As much as I love cool jailbreak tweaks, that facebook bubbles thing seems SUPER hacky and I'd probably stay away from it for a while until they can try and optimize it.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
Is there a tweak in Cydia that can replace my carrier name on the status bar with my current WiFi SSID that's NOT WiCarrier because it also puts an ugly lock icon next to it

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

lox posted:

Is there a tweak in Cydia that can replace my carrier name on the status bar with my current WiFi SSID that's NOT WiCarrier because it also puts an ugly lock icon next to it

The lock essentially means your wifi isn't secure. It will go away with WPA2 and other more secure protocols.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man someone finally took over the GV Extensions. At least the calling one. "Call on GV" is out for 6.1 and above and brings back native GV calling. Also, the app is free.

Now they need to do the SMS one and I'll be set.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

spongeworthy posted:

The lock essentially means your wifi isn't secure. It will go away with WPA2 and other more secure protocols.

I am on my home network secured with WEP and a lock still appears

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

lox posted:

I am on my home network secured with WEP and a lock still appears

WEP isn't secure. http://lifehacker.com/5305094/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wep-password-with-backtrack

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Just letting you guys know that after installing the Facebook chat bubbles and keeping it at regular settings, my phone got really hot and drained 20%. Turned it off and it's normal again.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Uninstalled pretty quick. If only the native Facebook app wasn't so slow/glitchy to switch to.

Also, BatteryDoctorPro (non-Chinese version) is out. Am I supposed to be safe moding so much with it? Safe mode every time I pull down the notification center till I turned that off. Safe mode when it switches to Edge when sleeping, which was kinda the one highlight that intrigued me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bought an ipad 4 off Amazon yesterday and it will be here Tuesday. Do I have a good chance of getting firmware from before 6.1.3? Jailbreaking probably isn't a big deal to me but it would be a nice bonus.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is it new? Used? Did you buy it directly from Amazon or a seller?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I just recently got an iPhone 5 and it came with 6.1.3 out of the box.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
My brother just bought an iPad from bestbuy today and it came with 6.1.3 out of the box.

Ugh not being able to have my iPhone jail broken is literally killing me.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

thenotoriouspie posted:

Ugh not being able to have my iPhone jail broken is literally killing me.

Please leave me the phone in your will. Thanks.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I thought if be the same but the only thing I really miss is SBSettings. And even then, I can live with out it.

I don't think I'd even use my iPad if I didn't have iTransmission, iFile and XBMC. I know, I know, :filez: and that, but that's what I use the iPad for.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Regardless of HOW secure it is, there IS still security and this lock should not show. I only switched to WEP cause it seems to work better with my iStuff. Switching back to WPA does remove that ugly lock though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

slomomofo posted:

Is it new? Used? Did you buy it directly from Amazon or a seller?

New and from a seller.

mewse
May 2, 2006

lox posted:

Regardless of HOW secure it is, there IS still security and this lock should not show.

WEP is beyond "not very secure" to "not secure", it is broken so badly that it is trivial to read traffic, and it really shouldn't be offered on any current hardware but it's a legacy thing. One of the worst things it does is to provide a false sense of security

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

lox posted:

Regardless of HOW secure it is, there IS still security and this lock should not show. I only switched to WEP cause it seems to work better with my iStuff. Switching back to WPA does remove that ugly lock though.

I think what we're trying to say is that from a security standpoint, WEP is just as secure as not having any security at all. The lock is there because it is nothing more than security theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Please leave me the phone in your will. Thanks.

Got it changed 5 minutes ago just for you buddy

• Locked thread