Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Egbert Souse posted:

Inglourius Basterds and Django Unchained both have retro logos (1970s Universal and Columbia, respectively). Even in the 1970s, there's The Sting with the 1930s "art deco" Universal logo and Chinatown opens with the 1930s Paramount logo. The Aviator has the mid-1950s Warner logo (made for 3-D, but used on a few CinemaScope films).
Yeah, I just wondered if there was an over-arching trend of doing it, like Warner reverting back to it or doing it in 2012 for their 90th Anniversary, because it seemed pretty random to see it in two different movies, and Magic Mike is set in modern day so it seemed to have no purpose other than maybe Soderbergh thinking it looked cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Both Magic Mike and Argo are somewhat characteristic of 70s Hollywood filmmaking, so using the era's logo for it helps to set the mood and expectations to follow. Other examples include Superbad mashing up a couple of old Columbia logos (I want to say it opens on the 80s one, that zooms in on the torch and makes the 70s one?), Land of The Dead hearkening back to 30s Universal (I feel like a lot of horror movies at Universal use this one a lot because who doesn't want to equate their movie to Dracula and Frankenstein?), Drag Me To Hell (which uses the same logo as Basterds and goes so far as to replace the "Universal Studios" post-credits splash - "See The Stars And Ride The Movies!" - with the very original Universal Studios one), and so on and so on. Clint Eastwood basically gets his own version of the Warners shield at this point - where it's all silver instead of the blue and gold associated with the studio logo. Star Wars even has a bit of a throwback to it, using the longer "20th Century Fox Presents a Cinemascope Production" fanfare, and when the prequels came out, retaining the logo as it was used in the original trilogy instead of the modern sweeping camera move version.

Disney's like the only studio where I don't think I've seen people do "throwback" logos at the start of a film (although "Presto" did replicate the old Disney shorts credits screen quite well, but integrated the modern logo onto it). I assume they simply don't allow it. Even re-releases get slapped with a new logo on it.

That's pretty much it. A director likes the old studio logo, either because it's the one they grew up with or the film they made echoes films of the era the logo is from, and convinces the studio to place it in front of their movie. If you don't recognize the logo as an audience member, it still manages to inform you "this isn't like most of the rest of the studio's output", and if you do, you can find yourself going "okay, so they're equating their movie to the sort of things being produced in the 30s/50s/70s/whatever".

WastedJoker posted:

Speaking of studio logo's, is there anywhere which explains the more obscure ones?

And do they need any permission from Universal/20th C Fox etc before they decide to do a custom one for a movie? I wondered this for the billionth time when the Tet appeared in the Universal logo bit during Oblivion.

You usually have to talk to studio execs and convince them that using an old logo or spending the money to "adjust" a logo for your movie is worth while. For example, David Fincher wanted the Fox logo to have graffiti from Tyler Durden all over it to open Fight Club, but he was locked to a certain budget so he could get away with aspects of the movie and couldn't convince anyone to spend the few extra hundred thousand to do it. Soderbergh talked about convincing the execs at Warners to put the Saul Bass logo in front of Magic Mike, which came down to "this'll probably be my last movie for you guys, I love that logo, it fits the movie, I know you guys love the logo too, just let me use it".

The more tentpole the production, of course, the easier it is to convince people, which is how we end up with Ralph Wiggum standing in the 0, singing along to the Fox fanfare at the beginning of The Simpsons Movie, or TRON Legacy making a Grid version of the Disney logo, or Constantine turning the Warner shield into brimstone.

As for there being any place to explain the obscure logos, I know closinglogos.com has what amounts to every variation on studio logos, but I don't know of any place that explains why something like the original New Line Cinema logo is the way it is or who the hell came up with the Caralco Pictures one, if that's what you're looking for.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Cameo posted:

You usually have to talk to studio execs and convince them that using an old logo or spending the money to "adjust" a logo for your movie is worth while. For example, David Fincher wanted the Fox logo to have graffiti from Tyler Durden all over it to open Fight Club, but he was locked to a certain budget so he could get away with aspects of the movie and couldn't convince anyone to spend the few extra hundred thousand to do it. Soderbergh talked about convincing the execs at Warners to put the Saul Bass logo in front of Magic Mike, which came down to "this'll probably be my last movie for you guys, I love that logo, it fits the movie, I know you guys love the logo too, just let me use it".

I seem to remember an anecdote about Matt Groening paying out of pocket for the "30th Century Fox" stinger that closes episodes of Futurama.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That did happen. The real reasoning was that Futurama episodes are (or at least were, I don't know how much it costs for Comedy Central to produce) obscenely expensive to make, and putting even more money into something that isn't integrated into the show itself at that point and couldn't really be used for anything else otherwise was enough to make execs kvetch; but I seem to recall them claiming "well people might not realize it is the same studio if we change it to '30th Century' Fox".

Yep.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They did eventually decide to reimburse Matt Groening though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I guess most films are shot digitally nowadays so do they add any tints/colour casts post-process or can that be achieved "live"?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

WastedJoker posted:

I guess most films are shot digitally nowadays so do they add any tints/colour casts post-process or can that be achieved "live"?

Yes, you still shoot with color filters and other stuff. You plan out the look and determine the best way to go about it. Sometimes that's during production, sometimes it's in post.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
And then it's garbage!

goon ledouche
Oct 13, 2003

I'm just a poser, BUT I FUCKING LOVE THE 80'S!
I need some help here fellas. Me and a buddy can't figure out a movie quote. It basically involves two people having a conversation about drugs or cocaine, and then one of them laughs about the convo and says, "why....you got some?" Thanks guys.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

goon ledouche posted:

I need some help here fellas. Me and a buddy can't figure out a movie quote. It basically involves two people having a conversation about drugs or cocaine, and then one of them laughs about the convo and says, "why....you got some?" Thanks guys.

Is it this one?

From Goon:

quote:

“I only have two rules: Don’t touch my loving percocets and have you got any loving percocets”

random youtube find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9BbywtduVw

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 25, 2013

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie, I'm pretty sure it came out in the mid-late 90s and it's about a middle aged guy who moves back in with his mother. Any ideas?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Mother: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117091/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This one just popped into my head. Haven't seen the movie since the theatrical release.

In the Hangover 2, the wolf pack looses the little brother of the woman that one of the guys is going to marry. In the opening it's explained that he's a very talented musician (violinist?), but he was pushed into it by his overbearing father, and he doesn't really seem to like it.

During the course of the movie we learn that the kid lost one of his fingers due to the madness of the night's events.

I don't recall the missing finger ever really being brought up specifically during the end sequence. The dad appeared to be more generally upset about them keeping the kid out all night and wild parties, rather that the "He lost a finger?! His future is ruined!" reaction I expected. Said expected reaction would also play up the "I never wanted to play violin, I just did it for you" angle.

Did I forget a confrontation like this in the movie? Was there a deleted scene that covered this?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

CzarChasm posted:

This one just popped into my head. Haven't seen the movie since the theatrical release.

In the Hangover 2, the wolf pack looses the little brother of the woman that one of the guys is going to marry. In the opening it's explained that he's a very talented musician (violinist?), but he was pushed into it by his overbearing father, and he doesn't really seem to like it.

During the course of the movie we learn that the kid lost one of his fingers due to the madness of the night's events.

I don't recall the missing finger ever really being brought up specifically during the end sequence. The dad appeared to be more generally upset about them keeping the kid out all night and wild parties, rather that the "He lost a finger?! His future is ruined!" reaction I expected. Said expected reaction would also play up the "I never wanted to play violin, I just did it for you" angle.

Did I forget a confrontation like this in the movie? Was there a deleted scene that covered this?

I was expecting the same thing. It seems like there was something cut out, but I don't know. Before that, I was thinking they would manage to get the fingers reattached, because there was a line early on about how cheap the local clinic was or something.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I loved David Lynch's acting in Twin Peaks and Louie. Are there any movies where he has a role? Or TV shows? I checked IMDB, but I don't know if it's exhaustive, and I don't care about a voice cameo on Family Guy.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Mescal posted:

I loved David Lynch's acting in Twin Peaks and Louie. Are there any movies where he has a role? Or TV shows? I checked IMDB, but I don't know if it's exhaustive, and I don't care about a voice cameo on Family Guy.

His part in Zelly and Me is pretty substantial, but it's nothing like him in either one of those.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mescal posted:

He's got a scene in Dune, on a spice hauler. But it's only a few lines.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mescal posted:

You remind me today of a small Mexican chi-wow-wow.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

He also has a recurring role in The Cleveland Show and is basically the only reason to ever watch a second of it.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Crackerman posted:

He also has a recurring role in The Cleveland Show and is basically the only reason to ever watch a second of it.

That's actually him?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Is there a reason why theres no real British/English language region 2 releases of any of the Godzilla movies.
Bar Gojira there hasn't really been any released on dvd/blu-ray over here.

Is it something to do with both Japan and the U.K being region 2 or is there just no demand over here?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 28, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Is there a reason why theres no real British/English language region 2 releases of any of the Godzilla movies.
Bar Gojira there hasn't really been any released on dvd/blu-ray over here.

Is it something to do with both Japan and the U.K being region 2 or is there just no demand over here.

Because this already got released in the UK, so there'd be no point.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

CzarChasm posted:

As I remember, he was also studying to be a surgeon, which may be difficult with only nine fingers.

In weird way, this is just another way that the plot closely mirrors the plot of the first movie. In the first one, they made a big deal about how much Alan's father loves his classic car and how protective he is of it, then they effectively ruin the car inside and out in Vegas, but there's no followup once they return home. In both movies, that plot thread is just dropped completely with no consequence, like a reversal of Chekov's gun.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I've been hoping for an uncut English subtitled release of all those films. I'm guessing it has to do with money.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I remember seeing a movie around 2000 or so where a guy was shot in the kneecap and it blew apart and he fell to the ground, what movie was it? Also, is that the most painful thing you can do to someone? In Django he mentioned at the end that the house "negro" hadn't mentioned it as punishment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

effectual posted:

I remember seeing a movie around 2000 or so where a guy was shot in the kneecap and it blew apart and he fell to the ground, what movie was it? Also, is that the most painful thing you can do to someone? In Django he mentioned at the end that the house "negro" hadn't mentioned it as punishment.

Terminator 2?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

effectual posted:

How cartoonishly did it blow apart? First thought is the guy at like 6:15 here in the origin of O-Ren part of Kill Bill Volume 1.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Power of Pecota posted:

How cartoonishly did it blow apart? First thought is the guy at like 6:15 here in the origin of O-Ren part of Kill Bill Volume 1.

It was with a shotgun in a live-action scene, it totally blew apart and like showed bones. I googled 'shotgun kneecap movie' and didn't find the right one, it's weird.

Also I just re-watched Django Unchained, what was with the girl with the red scarf across her face. I imdb'd the movie and apparently that was a stunt actress Quentin liked, is that the only reason?

Edit: found the kneecap, it was from "Once upon a time in mexico". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZbK72VLFA Brutal.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 29, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's Zoe Ball, her part was cut out basically, due to length I believe. And I think in the story she's a bounty hunter with no mouth/chin or something like that.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

effectual posted:

Once Upon a time In Mexico

http://youtu.be/I1kdEUa4DXg?t=1m38s

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 29, 2013

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

effectual posted:

Edit: found the kneecap, it was from "Once upon a time in mexico". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZbK72VLFA Brutal.

Wow. If the dialogue isn't bad enough... The VFX are horrendous and he shoots three shots out of a gun that holds two.

Robert Rodriguez quality.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

tvb posted:

In weird way, this is just another way that the plot closely mirrors the plot of the first movie. In the first one, they made a big deal about how much Alan's father loves his classic car and how protective he is of it, then they effectively ruin the car inside and out in Vegas, but there's no followup once they return home. In both movies, that plot thread is just dropped completely with no consequence, like a reversal of Chekov's gun.

This is actually explained in the extended version (or was it just a deleted scene?) - the father gives the car as a present to whatshisname before he has a chance to explain what happened to it in Vegas.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

foodfight posted:

That's actually him?

According to IMDB it is.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

effectual posted:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Why isn't there a thread for The Great Gatsby movie?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Why isn't there a thread for The Great Gatsby movie?
Because you haven't made one yet!

Seriously though every time this question gets asked, it gets the same answer. If you want a thread on something that doesn't have a thread yet, make it yourself!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is there anyone here who's good at picking out soundtracks?

there's video of a few sporting events I like, available on youtube, and I think one of them has a movie soundtrack as the background music. I'm unsure which movie or if it would be stock music.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might as well just post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqUYV-cMMMI

It sounds kind of like it'd be off of a mid 80's action flick. Which would go along with what this particular broadcast team did with using the theme from "Delta Force". But, I also think it could just be stock music.