Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Raneman posted:

Why do I get a "no naval base" close enough message in all of Africa when I have level 4 naval bases in Tunis, Madagascar, and Yemen? Seems like that's pretty good coverage.

If it's a coastal province, you should be getting a tooltip with your nearest naval base and the distance you need to cover/the distance you do cover.

If it isn't on the coast, you need to have a land connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Don Gato posted:

You know, other than the second screenshot making me want to tear my eyes out for some reason, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was. Still way too much focus on combat for a cold war game, and I haven't seen anything about how they would model guerrilla warfare or if I can use commando raids and set up CIA/KGB sponsored dictators in third world countries, which worries me because that's what I want in this game.

Yeah, considering how much fun I have just organizing and building up my country in Darkest Hour (I'm weird that way), I might get this on sale if there isn't anything game-breaking wrong with it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

World Stage is the first game I've seen to accurately model the pro-infidel leanings of the House of York. :v:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Patter Song posted:

World Stage is the first game I've seen to accurately model the pro-infidel leanings of the House of York. :v:

Must be a bug that is telling you exactly how much gold it will cost. It should say 'Some gold'.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

uPen posted:

Anyone else seeing Austria having a LOT of trouble with the new crisis system? I'm regularly seeing them forced to release huge portions of their empire like Venice and Hungary which forces them out of GP status. Once that happens Prussia/NGF/Germany and Italy seem to jump all over them biting off chunks of territory until Austria ceases to exist.
I've played two full games so far, as France and Swedenavia, and Austria's done fine. In my games, it's been the Ottomans that kept getting screwed by the crises and losing chunks of its empire in the Balkans, to the point where Russia started taking the Ottoman side in crises to provide a counterweight against Austria in my first game.

Granted, I saw Prussia as the main threat to me in both games, so I took the anti-Prussian side in a crisis whenever I could afford to, so that no doubt advantaged Austria and helped it stay strong.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

uPen posted:

Anyone else seeing Austria having a LOT of trouble with the new crisis system? I'm regularly seeing them forced to release huge portions of their empire like Venice and Hungary which forces them out of GP status. Once that happens Prussia/NGF/Germany and Italy seem to jump all over them biting off chunks of territory until Austria ceases to exist.

Austria and the Ottomans both, but I wasn't complaining in my recent Germany game because I got a free wardec to liberate Hungary with Russia and France on my side, then none of the Ottoman wars went anywhere. We got Poland out of Russia and it grabbed its Austrian holdings, though.

I need to go back and grab a worldmap from 1936, but here's how my game ended up:

Guanxi was beating China for most of the game and Canada just slowly industrialized and cultured its way into Great Power status, sphering the Ottomans and briefly sniping out New England from the US. A whole bunch of Europeans played great power for a while, but only having three GPs on the continent at the end of the game let me build a pretty nice alliance bloc.

Turns out stealing Alsace-Lorraine and Franche-Comte is a pretty good way to keep the French pissed at you all game, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I've never seen name changes like "Empire of Mexico" in my games. Is that a mod or is it just a specific set of circumstances that I haven't run into yet?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've never seen name changes like "Empire of Mexico" in my games. Is that a mod or is it just a specific set of circumstances that I haven't run into yet?

Empire of Mexico isn't a mod thing, it just only usually pops up if Mexico is getting its rear end handed to it early on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's caused when the country breaks to certain rebel types.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reactionary/Carlist(?) rebels, to be precise.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
In the case of Empire of Mexico, it can do that by decision if, IIRC, Con passes 5.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, Britain, we're allies, bud, so I'm going to give you some advice. Maybe Russia wouldn't be kicking your rear end in Canada, while some third world Asians invade your undefended Indian holdings if NEARLY YOUR ENTIRE ARMY WASN'T PARKED IN IRELAND!

Just something to think about.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

UK remains the most useless ally to have because it only ever bothers to ferry token forces around. Also makes them easy to beat now outside of like India thanks to ticking war score. Need to do more work on that transport ai Paradox.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

Hey, Britain, we're allies, bud, so I'm going to give you some advice. Maybe Russia wouldn't be kicking your rear end in Canada, while some third world Asians invade your undefended Indian holdings if NEARLY YOUR ENTIRE ARMY WASN'T PARKED IN IRELAND!

Just something to think about.

Look it's really embaressing when you're the #1 Great power and you lose about a quarter of your core territory to Irish Rebels. The AI is just trying to save face.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Janissary Hop posted:

UK remains the most useless ally to have because it only ever bothers to ferry token forces around. Also makes them easy to beat now outside of like India thanks to ticking war score. Need to do more work on that transport ai Paradox.

It saved my bacon when France decided to send its doomstacks to seige Gibraltar instead of taking out my armies in Poland.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

V for Vegas posted:

It saved my bacon when France decided to send its doomstacks to seige Gibraltar instead of taking out my armies in Poland.
Yes, the UK has been very helpful to me in reducing enemy numbers.

By attrition.

The AI has a little quirk when it comes to blockaded straits. If a strait it wants to cross is opened for even an instant, the AI packs its entire army on their side of the crossing, just waiting for it to open again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does anyone else have a problem with AI allies not doing loving anything? I'm allies with france and every time prussia starts their stupid poo poo france backs me up like a good ally. They park a size 50 stack on Paris, have a couple over ~50 sized stacks randomly parked throughout france, and then they send a few 3-9 sized units to the Prussian border.

England does the same poo poo. They have a huge transport fleet and a massive army just sitting around London but they never send it anywhere so always end up peacing-out on their wars thanks to the ticking score thing (god bless this).

Is there some known problem with the AI? It seems game-specific. Like I'll play one game and france will be fine, always sending its armies out. Yet I'll play another game and some countries will just be broken. I've also noticed some AI countries leaving huge stacks of units in foreign territory after wars. They won't disband, or send them home, so they just sit there sucking up resources. What's breaking the AI?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I wrote up a quick decision to let a China player annex Tibet, if having a big ugly blue lump on your pretty borders irks you.

code:
annex_tibet = {
		alert = yes
		potential = { 
			CHI = { ai = no }
			TIB = { vassal_of = CHI }
			tag = CHI
			exists = TIB
		}
		allow = { }
		effect = {
			TIB = {
				annex_to = CHI
			}
		}
		ai_will_do = { factor = 0 }
	}
Throw it in any text section under political_decisions = { or add it to your own text file enclosed by political_decisions = { }

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Janissary Hop posted:

At least it knows how to make fleets larger than a few ships now. That's progress, I suppose.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

uPen posted:

In my current game, Austria first lost Hungary in a crisis, then Galicia-Lodomeria, which has been follow by clockwork crises to release the Czechs. The French are well on their way to losing all their prestige from constantly backing the Czechs and being denied every time. There should really be some way for the AI to remember that it had already failed before, making it less likely to be the first backer in future crises.

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with AI allies not doing loving anything? I'm allies with france and every time prussia starts their stupid poo poo france backs me up like a good ally. They park a size 50 stack on Paris, have a couple over ~50 sized stacks randomly parked throughout france, and then they send a few 3-9 sized units to the Prussian border.
I pretty much don't bother using most allies, the Russians are really the only ones to ever do their job. At best, you can hope their territory will be a bit of a distraction.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Adding in on the need to show what RGOs a State produces in the Factory screen, seriously how did this get missed?
From my China game I learned a couple of other things about the UI:
- the Naval map is almost useless for finding ports to upgrade
- building railroads from Kamtchatka to the Ural is tedious
- manually upgrading all your factories is tedious, even with the shift click option for "full" factories

Adding an auto upgrade feature for railroads, factories and naval ports would make China a lot more fun to play.

I also found the Colonial Map kinda lacking, isn't it possible to have different colours for the different ranks of colonies? It would be nice if the map showed me which colonies I can upgrade to full states, instead of me having to use the "Find Province" feature.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

- manually upgrading all your factories is tedious, even with the shift click option for "full" factories

This wouldn't be nearly as bad if it didn't take a minimum of four days of shift-clicking since each time you invest money, the price changes. If it actually worked as intended it'd be so much better, but yeah there really needs to be heckboxes for "automatically invest in railroads" and "automatically invest in factories".

Wouldn't be surprised if there was another "why would you ever need autosend merchants in EU3?!"-style argument against it which prevented its inclusion in vanilla HOD though.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Sheep posted:

This wouldn't be nearly as bad if it didn't take a minimum of four days of shift-clicking since each time you invest money, the price changes. If it actually worked as intended it'd be so much better, but yeah there really needs to be heckboxes for "automatically invest in railroads" and "automatically invest in factories".

Wouldn't be surprised if there was another "why would you ever need autosend merchants in EU3?!"-style argument against it which prevented its inclusion in vanilla HOD though.

What? Did someone actually make that argument?

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Sheep posted:

That's because the project cost calculation doesn't take tariffs into account. Things will work much better if you set tariffs to 0% when doing big investment sprees.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Where the gently caress does the Russia AI garrison its troops? Every single time I've been in a war with them as my ally, their western border is always pretty much undefended and they have to schlepp troops in from the east. And in my China game it was the reverse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tahirovic posted:

I also found the Colonial Map kinda lacking, isn't it possible to have different colours for the different ranks of colonies? It would be nice if the map showed me which colonies I can upgrade to full states, instead of me having to use the "Find Province" feature.
Should also make colonizable provinces stand out on the map, I actually thought that was the purpose of the map when I first started playing. Pretty annoying having to click on provinces to figure out if you can colonize them, instead of it just showing up on a map.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In Victoria 2, do bankrupt factories reopen automatically at any point when the market improves or are they shut until you fund them? Just getting annoyed at the amount of times I've thought 'hold on why am I making no money and why do I have 50% unemployment? Oh right half of my factories are just sitting there'. Also general tips for balancing your finances in the early game, I always seem to end up banging taxes to the max, putting tariffs right up and slashing military spending. I know this is not a sustainable setup, but at the beginning anything less loses me all the money very quickly. gently caress me I enjoy this game but coming from Crusader Kings 2 it has such a steep learning curve and feels so much more opaque.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

I fully admit to helping Greece plod along to great power for an iota of a second to form its rightful Roma, aswell as giving Afghanistan its rightful due.

Also dismantling Russia because god drat they really love declaring wars over Astrakhan. Monster-Ukraine scares me now.

But what the hell Victoria.

I swear, every time I looked at europe something new and hilariously ridiculous had happened. Republic of Sweden, Republic of Poland.. Ireland fully occupying the UK and resulting the Kingdom of England.

I.. just don't know anymore. I'm gonna go live in Glorious Mega-Manitoba, I guess.

EDIT: Oh good China westernized and we're all doomed.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Shorter Than Some posted:

What? Did someone actually make that argument?

If I recall correctly, it wasn't included in vanilla EU3 because it was considered a terrible system in EU2, but it wound up being added in eventually anyways since enough people complained.

Jabu posted:

That's because the project cost calculation doesn't take tariffs into account. Things will work much better if you set tariffs to 0% when doing big investment sprees.

I don't use tariffs so that's not it. I think the purchase orders from shift-clicking drive the price up, which isn't calculated all at the same time, which is why you end up with individual buildings being short 0.0-~70 pounds.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 29, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am trying to get this old African Tribal mod to work in HOD, but it always crashes on loading the flags.

I thought they fixed that poo poo?

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

When exactly is communism supposed to pop up? I'm in the 1880s as the German Empire and I've even invented the vanguard party but there's still no communist parties anywhere :confused:

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Uhm, is this intended?

Going over the naval supply limit also affects land units. Doesn't seem like it's just a display bug either :confused:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Are they on a different continent to your home state?

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

Loomer posted:

Are they on a different continent to your home state?
No, this unit is standing on my capital.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jabu posted:

No, this unit is standing on my capital.

Is your capital being blockaded?

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Apropos nothing in particular: Where can I read a crash course on the clusterfuck that is the balkans?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jean Pony posted:

Apropos nothing in particular: Where can I read a crash course on the clusterfuck that is the balkans?

What, do you mean historically, in the context of paradox games, in the context of the paradox community?

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I meant historically, but it'd be interesting to know exactly what people on forums get mad about too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So, are you supposed to always have a standing army in V2 and HoI3? I'm used to Crusader Kings where you didn't want an army out all the time since that would cause rebellions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

JGBeagle posted:

So, are you supposed to always have a standing army in V2 and HoI3? I'm used to Crusader Kings where you didn't want an army out all the time since that would cause rebellions.

You should have a standing army at all times in V2, though its size depends on your tastes and budget. In HOI I couldn't imagine not wanting to have a standing army.

• Locked thread