Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

TrixRabbi posted:

I realize Netflix stuff regularly expires but anyone know the reason for the sheer amount that is disappearing on May 1st? It's like a purge. Over 50 movies from my queue are expiring and I only had a week's notice in the middle of finals so I'm taking notes of what I had in there so I can track them down later. They don't normally lose this much at once. And apparently the Viacom deal is expiring at the end of May as well.

My understanding is Netflix is so confident in their original content, even though reviews mostly call House of Cards mediocre and Hemlock Grove painfully bad, that they're letting a lot of their outside content deals expire. It's another genius, customer focused Netflix move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mr. stefan posted:

So yeah, watching Twin peaks for the first time ever, just got to episode four.

Is it wrong to want to laugh uncontrollably for most of the episodes so far? I had to stop the stream for a minute when Cooper did the whole "solve crimes by winging stones at a dude, trust me I learned it from tibet" thing.
Just wait until David Lynch himself shows up as a character.

Or just about anything with the character Albert Rosenfield, from later on in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms <- Save this as a surprise if you haven't seen the series yet!

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 29, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just wait until David Lynch himself shows up as a character.

Or just about anything with the character Albert Rosenfield, from later on in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

That's one of the best character reveals in the whole series, I would almost call it a spoiler because it's so good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's one of the best character reveals in the whole series, I would almost call it a spoiler because it's so good.
Oh poo poo yeah good point, might not want to watch that clip if you're only on episode 3.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Other good things you shouldn't spoil:

The appearance of Maddie and James' singing. I wish I could see that for the first time again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

maxnmona posted:

My understanding is Netflix is so confident in their original content, even though reviews mostly call House of Cards mediocre and Hemlock Grove painfully bad, that they're letting a lot of their outside content deals expire. It's another genius, customer focused Netflix move.

The book of Hemlock Grove was painfully bad so I'm not surprised at that one. Kinda sad though just because I really like Famke Janssen.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
It would be incorrect to call House of Cards mediocre but a lot of people who would otherwise like the show can't get past the political backdrop. If you can, it's an awesome slow burn.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
House of Cards is pretty aggressively mediocre. It's a fun ride, but almost completely derivative (outside the Citadel episode).

</opinion>

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

forever whatever posted:

It would be incorrect to call House of Cards mediocre but a lot of people who would otherwise like the show can't get past the political backdrop. If you can, it's an awesome slow burn.

I said the reviews of it have mostly called it mediocre, which is correct. Opinions are neither correct or incorrect.

I have no interest in watching it, because there's enough really good shows out there I haven't seen that I'm not interested in wasting my time on something that's merely not bad.

Edit: Also, it's an interesting defense to say that people just don't like it because it's about politics, considering how many popular and well liked shows are about politics (West Wing, The Wire, Veep, about a hundred more). It's almost becoming as standard a show subject as police. I don't think anyone is ignoring a good show just because it's about politics.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Well, I get people not liking House of Cards regardless of how boring they find Congress as a setting. Perhaps I might have been more careful in my words. I have found, in my own meaningless and purely anecdotal experience, that politics is a really boring backdrop for a lot of people that are generally disinterested in politics...It says something (I'm not sure what, but something) that Aaron Sorkin's 'West Wing' was so popular because most Americans don't even know what a White House Chief of Staff is, and someone in that position was a primary character on the show. You mentioned The Wire, and all kinds of people find that show boring as hell and the political stuff they throw in there doesn't help. That show is totally divisive. I love it, but it's not even on streaming so whatever. Anyways, House of Cards is amazing imo, but picks up slowly and isn't for everyone...I haven't even bothered to watch episode one of Hemlock Grove though, largely due to this thread...instead, I'm considering watching Twin Peaks. I'm 29 and have never seen it, I reckon I was a child when it was on the air. Does it hold up in the 2010's?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I'm 25 and I watched Twin Peaks a few years ago. I'd say dive into the first season and see if you feel its worth continuing. Its only 6 episodes.

EDIT: I got the SO to watch Breaking Bad and House of Cards, she loved both. Maybe its time to try The Wire again...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

forever whatever posted:

You mentioned The Wire, and all kinds of people find that show boring as hell and the political stuff they throw in there doesn't help. That show is totally divisive. I love it, but it's not even on streaming so whatever.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like The Wire. It's mostly people who really like/love it, and people who haven't seen it. Also it's not on streaming because it's HBO, and they have their own streaming service.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Ah, haha. I've never met anyone who saw The Wire and hated it in real life, I've only read about them on this forum...My roommate, who does not generally watch TV shows, got hooked on The Wire after I let him check out the season 1 DVD's I have. Same thing happened with my 72 year old grandmother. It is totally a show worth repeating, although season 5 is largely ridiculous.

Also yea I want to watch Twin Peaks. My great-uncle used to be a professional photographer and did apparently did a photo shoot for some of the actors that were in the film...Never seen it but it came up at a gathering when I was a child.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

maxnmona posted:

That plus they've said they want more exclusive deals and not so many non-exclusive bulk deals which I believe the Viacom and MGM ones were. Probably just getting sick of having the same titles that Amazon Prime has, basically.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Ammanas posted:

I never imagined I'd hear Archer described as mature comedy...

No no, sorry for the confusion! I meant mature as in 'TV Mature'...comedy that you won't find on any of the major networks for obvious reasons. Totally didn't mean for it to come across as a intellectually developed or highbrow comedy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

forever whatever posted:

Ah, haha. I've never met anyone who saw The Wire and hated it in real life, I've only read about them on this forum...My roommate, who does not generally watch TV shows, got hooked on The Wire after I let him check out the season 1 DVD's I have. Same thing happened with my 72 year old grandmother. It is totally a show worth repeating, although season 5 is largely ridiculous.

After you watch The Wire, it turns the rest of your TV watching into "Spot the actor from The Wire playing a bit part in every thing you watch ever." It's a TV show starred entirely by character actors.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

forever whatever posted:

I'm considering watching Twin Peaks. I'm 29 and have never seen it, I reckon I was a child when it was on the air. Does it hold up in the 2010's?

It's extremely dated. It's soap-opera-level melodromatic. It's goofy. It's also loving amazing. Watch it all. You will be happier having watched it than not having watched it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

forever whatever posted:

Also yea I want to watch Twin Peaks. My great-uncle used to be a professional photographer and did apparently did a photo shoot for some of the actors that were in the film...Never seen it but it came up at a gathering when I was a child.

Essential viewing. Many shows I recommend as "oh I know you liked this so you might like this kind of thing." But you really need to see Twin Peaks.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

After you watch The Wire, it turns the rest of your TV watching into "Spot the actor from The Wire playing a bit part in every thing you watch ever." It's a TV show starred entirely by character actors.

Then Method Man shows up and you're like what the gently caress is this. Then you realize the dude actually can act.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm 25 and I watched Twin Peaks a few years ago. I'd say dive into the first season and see if you feel its worth continuing. Its only 6 episodes.
It's virtually impossible to stop at the first season since the last episode is like the world's biggest collection of soap-cliffhangers (there's like 8-9 characters that are in mortal danger oh no do they live or die? dun-Dun-DUN!). It's shamelessly awesome.

The real stopping point is when they wrap up the Laura Palmer murder in season 2. The show completely tanks after that point - it's painfully clear that the writers have absolutely no idea where they want to go and you're left with moronic filler. Eventually they attempt to spin up a new main plotline but it's not any good. I stuck it out because I thought there was going to be some more Black Lodge stuff, but that's just in the last episode. Not even remotely worth it, in my opinion.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

redz posted:

Then Method Man shows up and you're like what the gently caress is this. Then you realize the dude actually can act.

I remember reading about how they had a number of rappers coming to them wanting to do cameos, but Method Man was the only one who approached them as an actor willing to do the work of preparing for an actual role, which is why they cast him.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

david_a posted:

It's virtually impossible to stop at the first season since the last episode is like the world's biggest collection of soap-cliffhangers (there's like 8-9 characters that are in mortal danger oh no do they live or die? dun-Dun-DUN!). It's shamelessly awesome.

The real stopping point is when they wrap up the Laura Palmer murder in season 2. The show completely tanks after that point - it's painfully clear that the writers have absolutely no idea where they want to go and you're left with moronic filler. Eventually they attempt to spin up a new main plotline but it's not any good. I stuck it out because I thought there was going to be some more Black Lodge stuff, but that's just in the last episode. Not even remotely worth it, in my opinion.

Even if it drags on a lot in the second season, there's some fantastical weirdness going on. I still enjoyed it, albeit not as much as the first.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Funny because I played "spot the actor from Oz" when I first started watching The Wire.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think whenever people say Season 2 of Twin Peaks they actually mean "after the Laura Palmer plotline wraps up" which happens halfway through Season 2. The remaining episodes are alright, but some of them are pretty weak. It's worth working through though just to get to the finale which is astounding. People have mixed feelings on the movie, but I think it's great and there's some stuff in it that only makes sense if you've seen the entire series.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TrixRabbi posted:

I think whenever people say Season 2 of Twin Peaks they actually mean "after the Laura Palmer plotline wraps up" which happens halfway through Season 2. The remaining episodes are alright, but some of them are pretty weak. It's worth working through though just to get to the finale which is astounding. People have mixed feelings on the movie, but I think it's great and there's some stuff in it that only makes sense if you've seen the entire series.
The movie isn't exactly what I wanted (I basically just wanted to see Coop be Coop again) but it's the closest I've ever come to watching a nightmare happen on screen. I can't say it's enjoyable or pleasant to watch, but it's worth watching.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I watched The Hole the other night for some reason. I think it was mentioned here in the thread. I also think it was mentioned in a "this movie isn't great" kind of way, which I only remembered after it ended. I don't really disagree. I think I was thinking of another movie when I watched it, because I could have sworn there was a movie like it only with demons or monsters so I kept expecting little imps running around when what I got was a ghost girl. Joy.

I also finished plowing through Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Fantastic shows. The Flash is the best.

Well, The Question is better but only JUST.

No seriously The Question is the best.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I watched The Hole the other night for some reason. I think it was mentioned here in the thread. I also think it was mentioned in a "this movie isn't great" kind of way, which I only remembered after it ended. I don't really disagree. I think I was thinking of another movie when I watched it, because I could have sworn there was a movie like it only with demons or monsters so I kept expecting little imps running around when what I got was a ghost girl. Joy.

There's lovely The Hole (2001), where teens go into a war bunker and die.

There's lovely Holes (2003), starring Shia LaBour.

There's lovely The Hole (2009), where people fight a manifestation of their greatest fears.

Which one did you watch?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Skywalker OG posted:

There's lovely The Hole (2001), where teens go into a war bunker and die.

There's lovely Holes (2003), starring Shia LaBour.

There's lovely The Hole (2009), where people fight a manifestation of their greatest fears.

Which one did you watch?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Holes. I watched the 2009 one.

VVVV
Oh hey, thanks! I was thinking of that. :D

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 29, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You were thinking of The Gate, which stars a tiny Stephen Dorff.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

Yes, this. Later season 2 is not very good, but it's worth it for that finale. It stuns me to this day that a network actually aired that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Initially I was annoyed that the movie didn't offer any closure on the series. But then I realized the movie actually does provide closure, it's just not the ending I was hoping for. And then I was okay with it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I also finished plowing through Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Fantastic shows.
Watch Batman Beyond next. It's actually aged very well for a science fiction show from the 90s, and I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not it's as good as Batman: The Animated Series.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

SRM posted:

Watch Batman Beyond next. It's actually aged very well for a science fiction show from the 90s, and I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not it's as good as Batman: The Animated Series.
I feel like it's better than Batman TAS. I'm not sure why, but I always end up rewatching Batman Beyond episodes over TAS.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I started watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares this weekend based on recommendations from this thread. I can't imagine it being on cable, it would be bleep bleep bleeeeeps every 10 seconds. I'm really enjoying it, I finished the first four episodes.

Does it start to get formulaic after awhile? It seems like it probably would. The first episode (Bonaparte's) is my favorite so far. The way Ramsay's eyes practically pop out of his skull when he sees that fridge full of rotten food, the mouth-breathing 21 year-old Head Chef who can't even tell the difference between pork and steak and nearly sets his grandmom's flat on fire.

Anyone have any favorite episodes to recommend?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

SRM posted:

Oh trust me, it's on my list. I love Batman Beyond and being able to binge through it next will be fun. I wish they had B:TAS though, but I guess I really should pick the DVDs up by now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

I started watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares this weekend based on recommendations from this thread. I can't imagine it being on cable, it would be bleep bleep bleeeeeps every 10 seconds. I'm really enjoying it, I finished the first four episodes.

Does it start to get formulaic after awhile? It seems like it probably would. The first episode (Bonaparte's) is my favorite so far. The way Ramsay's eyes practically pop out of his skull when he sees that fridge full of rotten food, the mouth-breathing 21 year-old Head Chef who can't even tell the difference between pork and steak and nearly sets his grandmom's flat on fire.

Anyone have any favorite episodes to recommend?

I felt that it was more formulaic from the standpoint of "person with a dream and possibly awesome food has no business or management experience and is just tragic to watch" rather than "gross and ridiculous" like the first episode is. You definitely get less of the filthy kitchen and ignorant chef as it goes on. That said, I watched all 5 series and enjoyed them all. You can tell from the UK version that Gordon Ramsay, for all his foul mouthed arrogance, actually has a heart.

My favorite parts of that show are when the younger but eager sous chef gets a shot at running the kitchen and not only succeeds, but thrives and really proves him or herself. There were only a couple of those though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well I just watched 13 Assassins and it was really good. The ending confused me though. Didn't the 'hunter' guy get killed with the short sword through his neck? Was he some sort of spirit or something?

Besides that, it was awesome. Any other movies like that on netflix?

edit: Has anyone seen Outrage? It seems familiar to me some how. Wasn't it like part of last years 24-hour no laughing game? :iiam:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 29, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't remember if it's on Netflix or not, but I think it's on Amazon, but Ramsay's Great Escape is a really incredible series if you want to watch more British, awesome Ramsay and not his American caricature of himself.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Another one that's worth watching is Ramsay's Best Restaurant, which is a one season competition that's a lot of fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I also finished plowing through Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Fantastic shows. The Flash is the best.

Well, The Question is better but only JUST.

No seriously The Question is the best.

I'm going to have to give this a watch, just because of those clips. Thanks!

• Locked thread