Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Has anyone tried the Adhesion Augment? How useful is it? does it mean you never thrash around or do you just lose less stamina when the monster shakes? It would be so useful to have when farming Gorecyclops depending on its ability.

Also I would just like to point out that if you use the Tenacity augment (Any hit that would make you go to 0 HP instead puts you at 1) and having armor that heals you overtime makes you effectively immortal. I didn't even have to use it to just realize that yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rascyc posted:

Don't you need to wield it for dragonforging or does dragonforging hit any items in your inventory?

They're just improvements on your base skills and you need to find a corresponding item to do it. There are new augments though but they're mostly quality of life things like stickier climbing or pick up items faster.

Gameplay-wise, not a lot has really changed except a few touches here and there. I noticed the yellow classes can roll-cancel out of a lot more things now.

You need to be wearing/wielding the item for it to be dragonforged in my experience. And it has to be you; your pawn doesn't count (or if they do, I have a very very unlucky pawn).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

McDragon posted:

Well, gave the last boss of DA a thrashing. Assassins rule.

I guess the labyrinth is supposed to be harder now? How does it work, same place, stronger enemies? I can see I have to open the shortcuts again. If I kill the last boss a second time will they close again?

After killing the boss a second time the shortcuts stay open.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Man, I forgot how great the Blue Moon Tower Gryphon battle is. That atmosphere is amazing.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Okay...actually another note on that Pawn Inclination thing. Since it's front-page stuff, I should point this out.

His secondary changed again. Even after I fed him 15 Challenger(1st), 15 Utilitarian(Second), 15 Scather(Third). He was Scather/Utilitarian for awhile-but the same thing happened. I didn't gather items, I didn't lean on the commands-but Utilitarian disappeared, in only slightly longer than it took the last time. I suppose what I'll do is Cleanse, do the 45 Elixirs again. If THAT doesn't keep his secondary locked even without me doing weird things then I don't know what will.

It may be I forgot to use one of those 'cleansing' elixirs first to erase anything beforehand. That may have caused it.(EDIT: Never mind-the guy doesn't sell those neutralizing ones anymore. I could have sworn I could buy those before.)

Azaael fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 29, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm sure we're all thinking it but I haven't seen anyone actually point out that Dark Arisen is basically Ghosts n' Goblins complete with hard as balls high damage or functionally-instant-kill enemies, Satan as the final boss (a face in his torso and everything) and a second playthrough with jumped up difficulty.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
When people talk about Everfall loot, is that after some sort of plot development, or can you just go in at the first opportunity and find good gear if you farm it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cephas posted:

When people talk about Everfall loot, is that after some sort of plot development, or can you just go in at the first opportunity and find good gear if you farm it?
Well, as soon as you have access to the Everfall (and you'll know it when you do, I have never seen a more dramatic appearance of an end-game dungeon) you can run in and grab stuff yeah. Monsters will try really hard to kill you though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone know what items are used to upgrade the Cursed Bite sword (or Dragon's Dogma for that matter)? They're all still question marks for me somehow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've been treating this game sort of like a roguelike. I started playing it on hard mode with a new character and only did the quests at Cassardis and the Encampment. Whenever I would die, I would change the difficulty to normal mode and then save/quit to the title screen and restart in hardmode. Around level 17 I went to the DLC Bitterblack Island and have been spelunking ever since, I'm level 41 now. If anyone has a certain glut for punishment as I do, I would highly recommend it. There isn't anything quite like killing a hard mode ogre and scaled harpy at level 30 with Cassardis/Encampment equipment as well as whatever else you managed to loot at this point. I haven't died yet but I almost did to the Cockatrice.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

After killing the boss a second time the shortcuts stay open.

Okay, thanks. Good news!

Now if the game can just stop giving me Dragon's Glazes. I've got two already game, stop it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You might be crazy. :stonk:

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Lotish posted:

I'm sure we're all thinking it but I haven't seen anyone actually point out that Dark Arisen is basically Ghosts n' Goblins complete with hard as balls high damage or functionally-instant-kill enemies, Satan as the final boss (a face in his torso and everything) and a second playthrough with jumped up difficulty.

Dear god, you're right.

Also, don't forget these guys:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cephas posted:

There are chests all through the Everfall, mostly with low chances of having really good stuff. Be prepared to get a lot of golden eggs and poo poo, though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

With the New content is it worth hunting the Ur-Dragon for loot or is the Bitterblack stuff better?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where do people recommend for using port crystals? I started a new game and got the one at the bottom of the everfall.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Where do people recommend for using port crystals? I started a new game and got the one at the bottom of the everfall.
Start out with places that you frequently travel to.

Easy choices (that I do myself):
  • Devilfire Grove (easy access to Shadow Fort and Ancient Quarry)
  • The ledge near Cassardis where you exit from Witchwood (allows you to directly get to Witch's Hut without having to pass through the rest of Witchwood)
  • Greatwall Encampment
  • Mountain Waycastle
  • Bluemoon Tower
  • Windbluff Tower

gibbed fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 29, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

So I've noticed something else about Bitterblack Items. The special properties on set items are randomized too...

I had two pairs of Sinner's gauntlets and I had to double-take, then I realized that one had the effect of giving you stamina back per kill and the other didn't. MMO grindiness! Can you add that to the OP too so everybody is aware of that?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Is it worth the effort to play on Hard Mode?

I have played through DD already(Platinum trophy). I restarted with a new character, and am not too far along now, so starting over wouldn't be a big deal(you have to start over, right?).

From what I can understand it's just more HP/Damage on monsters, right?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dirt posted:

Is it worth the effort to play on Hard Mode?

I have played through DD already(Platinum trophy). I restarted with a new character, and am not too far along now, so starting over wouldn't be a big deal(you have to start over, right?).

From what I can understand it's just more HP/Damage on monsters, right?

You get Double EXP from every kill and more money drops (Giant coin pouches drop frequently), but neither of those is much of a plus, especially the money: you can just sell Ur-Dragon equipment when you farm him reliably, but now that it's so easy to get Bitterblack Stuff that sells even better. Even outside of that, you get 34,500 gold per Wakestone sell (With Suasion/Ring of thrift).

The combat is changed only in that You the Arisen take triple damage and you use even more stamina for everything, which is bullshit. Your pawns are entirely unaffected by all of this and you'll just get one shot killed 90% of the time in Bitterblack. It becomes the very anathema to fun and enjoyable. Enemies become almost impossible to stun or stagger and you are practically stun locked with every hit you take.

In short, artificial difficulty, and doesn't really work well with how the game is set up. It's hackneyed.

Also for anyone interested, this is where Capcom got the idea of the Grim Reaper for Dark Arisen: Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land Reaper|YouTube.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 29, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have a spare Gold Idol if anyone (playing Dark Arisen) needs it for Madeleine or the blacksmith. PSN: Mr_Dread

E: claimed by SoulChicken

titties fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anyone beat Hard Mode? I seem to recall you get unique outfits if you do? I can scarcely imagine they're worth it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

Anyone beat Hard Mode? I seem to recall you get unique outfits if you do? I can scarcely imagine they're worth it.

You'll get a piece of the Abyssinal Set, the Abyssinal Outfit which is arguably the best undershirt in the entire game because its stats are just amazing. The whole set is great to mix and match with pre-Bitterblack sets. If you beat the Dragon on Hardmode from start to finish of a new game, then you get that Outfit, but that's it.

The only way to get Abyssinal set's other pieces is to land killing blows on the Online Ur-Dragon, and honestly, screw that. But, wearing the whole set guarantees 100% resistance to all debilitations pretty much, but it's not very fashionable and the Upgraded Tier 3 sets on Bitterblack blow Abyssinal out of the water now, aside from the undershirt.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Argh, seeing this thread come alive again is making me want to buy Dark Arisen...I played through DD with GameFly, which meant I really didn't it enough time before I went to the next game on my list (I did beat it, but I didn't fully explore and grind).

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Lotish posted:

I've beaten the game on Hard. You get a Duke's outfit, if I recall. Edit: I forgot about the Abyssinial outfit. I had gotten a Duke's outfit after a playthrough. Perhaps that was something else though?

As for playing on hard? Well for the normal game I think it's cool. Bitterblack? The place is a repeated spike-knuckle crotch punch on normal mode(well, not so much the 1st time through. It's actually just 'pleasantly tough' After that though...). You probably won't even NEED Hard mode. Honestly DA should come with a warning 'You know how you felt the first time you met the 2 ogres together when you were only level 15 with really crappy gear and didn't know how to play? Prepare to feel that way all the time at level 150 once you pass the place once.' I mean in the 'vanilla' game, hard mode was definitely tough at times and had some moments, but I couldn't find anything that could compare to BBI 2nd pass+ on even Normal. Even That Room. That Room would break down and cry at fighting 3 Living Armors at once.

I have to say though it's funny in hindsight: Capcom says the place is tuned for level 50-ish was it? So I had rolled an alt so I could see the place 'as is.' I don't think anyone knew that wouldn't be necessary. (I've heard even on Easy mode there is stuff that will surprise you.)

Azaael fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2013

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I must be missing the appeal of this game. Walk for twenty minutes oh poo poo you stumbled into a place where you weren't supposed to be yet party gets eaten by a chimera or killed by a dude with a hammer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jfjnpxmy posted:

I must be missing the appeal of this game. Walk for twenty minutes oh poo poo you stumbled into a place where you weren't supposed to be yet party gets eaten by a chimera or killed by a dude with a hammer.
I guess so, since that's exactly why I like it. Unlike an Elder Scrolls game or what have you, there is a chance of real, serious danger around every corner.

edit: also, you can almost always see enemies before they can see you, and you can outrun them too, and they won't chase you forever. Running into an enemy you aren't ready for isn't the end of the world.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 29, 2013

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Well, ok then. Guess I will skip hard mode.

Thanks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

jfjnpxmy posted:

Its sort of a throwback to ancient RPG's, I know the first few Dragon Quest games were absolutely brutal in this regard, step off the beaten track and you'd pretty much get wasted.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's one of those things like Dark Souls where the appeal is in the general idea that the world doesn't care about you, even though you're literally the chosen one. You are food or a distraction and once they're finished with you they go back to their own lives. Dragon's Dogma more than Dark Souls has this sort of "Gygaxian naturalism" going where monsters are just everywhere and have a sort of everyday life. "In any given group of X goblins there may be Y hobgoblins, and a goblin king if the total population is Z." Part of the appeal is in exploring looking for an old-school sort of challenge and discovering that the goblins have set up a sort of miniature community around a healing spring despite the presence of a roaming chimera! Perhaps the spring allows them to survive normally fatal encounters with the chimera? Who knows!? They don't speak common!

edit: Also, after a big battle, remember to save. After I killed a Gorecyclops yesterday I went down a hallway and a cursed warrior pawn used Corona Slash to cut me down at the knees. :gibs:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 29, 2013

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

titties posted:

I have a spare Gold Idol if anyone (playing Dark Arisen) needs it for Madeleine or the blacksmith. PSN: Mr_Dread

Yes please! SoulChicken1234

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

jfjnpxmy posted:

It is more of a throwback to the old days before things like level scaling. This game makes it rather clear that travelling at night, or walking into the woods ill-prepared will likely result in death.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So, Bitterblack Isle V2 is mean. A Gorechimera, fine, but then two sodding Garms join in. Not a very nice combination. A big mean dragon in a previously safe area. A Living Armour in a really cramped place. Some kind of new ice dragon that can also cast Bolide. And then some rear end in a top hat little dragon gargoyle things. I met one earlier but he was a prick so I ran away. Now there's lots of the fuckers. Oh, and Death popped in to say Hi too.

Those little gargoyles, what are you supposed to do with them? They take gently caress-all damage and love to swoop across the room to hit me.

Still, I've also ended up with a Dessicated Ring and an Elite Lantern, so at least the loot's been nice.

Really tempted to knock it down to easy now. Still, I've resisted so far, gonna stick it out a bit longer at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Killsion posted:

It is more of a throwback to the old days before things like level scaling. This game makes it rather clear that travelling at night, or walking into the woods ill-prepared will likely result in death.
I still remember the first time I was trapped outdoors after dark, and the dire wolves started coming. It was one of the most exciting things I have experienced in a game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

McDragon posted:

So, Bitterblack Isle V2 is mean. A Gorechimera, fine, but then two sodding Garms. Not a very nice combination. A big mean dragon in a previously safe area. An Living Armour in a really cramped place. Some kind of new ice dragon that can also cast Bolide. And then some rear end in a top hat little dragon gargoyle things. I met one earlier but he was a prick so I ran away. Now there's lots of the fuckers. Oh, and Death popped in to say Hi too.

Those little gargoyles, what are you supposed to do with them? They take gently caress-all damage and love to swoop across the room to hit me.

Still, I've also ended up with a Dessicated Ring and an Elite Lantern, so at least the loot's been nice.

Really tempted to knock it down to easy now. Still, I've resisted so far, gonna stick it out a bit longer at least.

Wyrms could always cast Bolide I'm pretty sure, but all the dragons on Bitterblack are called "Dire Wyrm/Drake/Wyverns" and exude auras that hurt you. Wyrms have a very small chance of freezing you solid when you're close to them, Drakes set you on fire, and Wyverns do Lightning damage over time I think.

Gargoyles? Are they red? Those are Strigoi. Your best bet is to shoot them with arrows. They have ridiculously high resistance to knockdown/stagger though, probably won't work as well as a magical attack of some kind.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still remember the first time I was trapped outdoors after dark, and the dire wolves started coming. It was one of the most exciting things I have experienced in a game.

I'll never forget that my first extended trek into the wilderness finally ended up at the Devilfire Grove camp after barely battling my way up from the encampment and then skulking through the darkness to avoid the drake (which I had never seen before at this point) glowing in the distance through the forest. Man was that a cool visual.

Also the first time I saw saurians lounging around in a ford and thought they looked ripe for the killing. How wrong I was. . .

Now that I'm in the 120s on my third playthrough it's lost a lot of that magic, but drat if I don't keep coming back to it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ghost bones posted:

I'll never forget that my first extended trek into the wilderness finally ended up at the Devilfire Grove camp after barely battling my way up from the encampment and then skulking through the darkness to avoid the drake (which I had never seen before at this point) glowing in the distance through the forest. Man was that a cool visual.

Also the first time I saw saurians lounging around in a ford and thought they looked ripe for the killing. How wrong I was. . .

Now that I'm in the 120s on my third playthrough it's lost a lot of that magic, but drat if I don't keep coming back to it.
Yeah, DD is up there with Dark Souls on top of games I wish I could play all over again for the first time. Once you know how to deal with all the enemy types, even fighting in pitch black isn't scary anymore.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah a rite of passage is the 2 hour long Dire Wolf bonanza, after you get suckered into doing the escort quest to the healing spring way in the north and realized just how far it is.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, DD is up there with Dark Souls on top of games I wish I could play all over again for the first time. Once you know how to deal with all the enemy types, even fighting in pitch black isn't scary anymore.
For what it's worth, the DA content is pretty frightening too. Words in this thread really can't put it to reality when you look at a gore cyclops and say, "wow, that's no normal loving cyclops".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Wyrms could always cast Bolide I'm pretty sure, but all the dragons on Bitterblack are called "Dire Wyrm/Drake/Wyverns" and exude auras that hurt you. Wyrms have a very small chance of freezing you solid when you're close to them, Drakes set you on fire, and Wyverns do Lightning damage over time I think.

Gargoyles? Are they red? Those are Strigoi. Your best bet is to shoot them with arrows. They have ridiculously high resistance to knockdown/stagger though, probably won't work as well as a magical attack of some kind.

Ah, thanks, must have been Strigoi then. I'd seen the name pop up in the stats, but I assumed they'd be some kind of vampire thing. Those guys are jerks. Actually, I guess they are a bit vampirey, what with the life drain thing.

And yeah, the Dire Wyrm kept icing me. Gave up on trying to Dire Gouge him and just filled him full of arrows instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
How much of the stuff in the wilderness is random anyway? Like monster spawns I mean. It seems like I can usually expect certain types of enemies in certain locations, but the actual group makeup changes. Is it like fixed spawn points w/ a few random wandering big fuckers?

• Locked thread