Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

wilkenm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

Ouch. Guessing they'll be a Los Angeles canyon crackdown once this hits the local news.

Came in here to post that. That road is actually very heavily enforced, but it's almost impossible to break the speed limit. I was talking with one of the "fast" guys out there and he said that he's never seen anyone get pulled for speeding on that section of the road. Crossing the double yellow and wheelies are a surefire way to get a ticket though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That 'road' takes like two minutes to run and it's not great at all - I don't get why everyone lounges there.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

BlackMK4 posted:

That 'road' takes like two minutes to run and it's not great at all - I don't get why everyone lounges there.

Idiots, also I couldn't help but laugh that it was a SV rider. Full leathers, mods to his bike, can't ride for poo poo, stereotypes exist for a reason.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HNasty posted:

Idiots, also I couldn't help but laugh that it was a SV rider. Full leathers, mods to his bike, can't ride for poo poo, stereotypes exist for a reason.

Speaking of stereotypes hows the minimart going these days?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That would have been target fixation, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOX8G2HNNDo

Like a boss.
(Australia, cut the rear tire off with a chainsaw, finish the race)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shimrod posted:

That would have been target fixation, right?

Must have been, because if he'd kept his initial line he would have gone past the bikes just fine. You can see the moment that he noticed the bicycles, because he jerks his head a bit and stands the bike up just enough to screw up his line to the outside and run directly into them.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Must have been, because if he'd kept his initial line he would have gone past the bikes just fine. You can see the moment that he noticed the bicycles, because he jerks his head a bit and stands the bike up just enough to screw up his line to the outside and run directly into them.

I think you're right. Also I think that cyclist's goofy half helmet saved his brain, that would have been an awful smack on the head otherwise. I think cyclists are crazy because they wear wimpy gear when they can reach some pretty good road speeds and at the same time are unable to accelerate if someone is about to smoke them from behind but other people think we're the crazy ones so live and let live I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, most casual cyclists don't reach anywhere near the speeds that those super hardcore guys do, and I think that most of society considers them to be just as crazy as motorcyclists.

Certainly the bike messengers I see around here have even more of a reputation for reckless nihilism than any motorcyclists short of an actual outlaw gang.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

Must be nice knowing you'll never crash if you never leave the Starbucks parking lot.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I think you're right. Also I think that cyclist's goofy half helmet saved his brain, that would have been an awful smack on the head otherwise. I think cyclists are crazy because they wear wimpy gear when they can reach some pretty good road speeds and at the same time are unable to accelerate if someone is about to smoke them from behind but other people think we're the crazy ones so live and let live I guess.

A dog tried to herd me off the road so I had the bright idea of accelerating to 25 mph on my mountain bike at which point the dog really leaned into my front tire and I ran over him and used my left hip and head to stop the rest of me from going through the asphalt. I came to, mewling this hilarious, pathetic moan, my helmet split in two, my arms waving above me aimlessly. I gritted my teeth, feeling as if I were in a commercial about people going super-aggro and Just Doing It, threw the remains of the helmet on the ground, got back on the bicycle and rode the rest of my route, my left leg slowly stiffening. When I got home I had a bursa between my hip bone and socket about the size of half a grapefruit and had to get it drained by a doctor weilding the widest needle and biggest syringe I've ever seen.

e: I assume the dog was fine; by the time I regained consciousness it had gone on its merry way. I should've known I was in trouble, because I'd never seen that dog on my route before

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 29, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Every single rnickeymouse vid has the guy jerking his head and standing the bike up (if they don't just drop it) in the exact same spot, it's something to do with the camber of the turn changing unexpectedly

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Must be nice knowing you'll never crash if you never leave the Starbucks parking lot.

You mad? A majority of SV owners are spergy nerds who love loving around with the suspension and trying dubious rear end poo poo they read about on SVRider to try and improve it. Most of them end up like this

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't think the camber is to blame for what happened there. The camber causes a lot of low and highsides, not target fixation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

You mad? A majority of SV owners are spergy nerds who love loving around with the suspension and trying dubious rear end poo poo they read about on SVRider to try and improve it. Most of them end up like this

Not being an sv owner I don't really care one way or another.

Ducati owners don't gently caress with their suspension because aint no adjustments needed to get down the road to the 'bucks.

*uses MacBook Pro retina as a back protector*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any popular motorcycles/brands which don't have a reputation of being ridden by lovely posers with no skills? I can't think of one.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not being an sv owner I don't really care one way or another.

Ducati owners don't gently caress with their suspension because aint no adjustments needed to get down the road to the 'bucks.

*uses MacBook Pro retina as a back protector*

You're clearly not a ducati owner. Carrying around laptops is so 2008 bro, Ipad is where it's at prop it up on the table so all the girls can see the indie movies you're watching.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pray, what motorcycle pairs best with my Microsoft Surface tablet?

e: and/or Lenovo Thinkpad?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any popular motorcycles/brands which don't have a reputation of being ridden by lovely posers with no skills? I can't think of one.

KTM, because if you get on one without the skill to tame it, it will rip your face clean off

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

Ninja 250.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't think the camber is to blame for what happened there. The camber causes a lot of low and highsides, not target fixation.

That corner really isn't that bad anyway. The problem with that corner is that it's constantly being filmed so any accident/incident is going to be caught on camera, and because people KNOW it's being filmed there are going to be a lot of idiots showing off for the camera.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I don't understand the love for that road. I drove down it in my car once when I lived in CA for a year and there's so much traffic it's just stupid. There's far better roads in the vicinity (Angeles Forest Highway, Hwy 2, or on the other side of 14 my favorite is san francisquito canyon road... man I miss that place).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Roads like that are great because they get all the attention, meanwhile people like you or I can tear up the other fun roads. I still need to get to Deal's Gap but it looks similar to me, there are other roads around the area that seem as good but without the popularity.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

Surface is a Can-Am

Lenovo is...Ural?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Safety Dance posted:

BMW GS or K

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

wilkenm posted:

Ouch. Guessing they'll be a Los Angeles canyon crackdown once this hits the local news.
Cycle Asylum > Cycle pictures and Videos - Do the (Pelo)ton

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

XYLOPAGUS posted:

There's far better roads in the vicinity (Angeles Forest Highway, Hwy 2)

I'm a beginner on a cruiser, but tearing down from the head of Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd->Angeles Hwy->Lower Tujunga Cyn Rd is the most fun one can have in LA County without an ounce of blow and a desperate wannabe movie starlet. Considerably less risky too; even when you're in fifth and passing through those dynamited cuts that drop fist-size chunks of granite. Luckily the road-crew trucks seem to grind them mostly into fine sand...

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wilkenm posted:

Only just watched this now, and I know that corner looks deceptively easy, but it looks like it would've been really easy for him to swerve left?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

theperminator posted:

Only just watched this now, and I know that corner looks deceptively easy, but it looks like it would've been really easy for him to swerve left?

Yeah, but he fixated, so that didn't happen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been looking to pick up a beater lately and, well...

Time to find one in my budget.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/three-riders-walk-away-from-horror-la-bike-crash/story-fndir2ev-1226631605146

Made its way to news in Australia!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

The description in that article is pure bollocks, LOL.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The description in that article is pure bollocks, LOL.

Just wait until people start commenting on it, half the reason I read news.com, their "reporters" are total idiots.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Sagebrush posted:

There are those motorcycles known for punishing poor/average riders. Kawasaki H2 Mach IV 750 and Suzuki TL1000R spring to mind.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Sagebrush posted:

KLR650
DRZ400SM
Africa Twin
Ducati Indiana
Harley Davidson XR1200, perhaps, since it goes against the grain of all comers.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kenny Rogers posted:

KLR650
DRZ400SM
Africa Twin
Ducati Indiana

People that own a Ninja 250 for over a year (without getting something with more POWAH).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

All Aprilias with wheels larger than 16" :colbert:

(Although the RS4 125 is already developing a reputation for being the weapon of choice for the teenage wanker in a way the old two-stroke 125 never did, possibly because the RS125 was in the same insurance group as some naked 600s where the RS4 is in the same insurance group as most scooters)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kenny Rogers posted:

KLR650
DRZ400SM
Africa Twin
Ducati Indiana

front wing flexing posted:

People that own a Ninja 250 for over a year (without getting something with more POWAH).

Basically, bikes that serve a very specific purpose and dont fit the big stereotypes of "SPORRRTTTBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE" or "Harley/Harley-ish". They tend to get ridden by people who know what they want and know that there is a specific bike that delivers it.

You kind of have to NOT be a lovely poser with no skills to get to that stage.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sorry, but I'm a lovely poser with no skills and I have a drz. My sincere apologies to other owners. KLR and Africa Twin riders are safe for now but if I get my hands on some more money you might want to watch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Basically, bikes that serve a very specific purpose and dont fit the big stereotypes of "SPORRRTTTBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE" or "Harley/Harley-ish". They tend to get ridden by people who know what they want and know that there is a specific bike that delivers it.

You kind of have to NOT be a lovely poser with no skills to get to that stage.

My Can-Am is safe!