Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
The bad thing is, if that is the design it looks poo poo and they have obviously replaced Elizabeth Fry with him. Got to get those social reformers away...

At least Darwin is holding on, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Protest this change by using only the strong and stable poond (Alexander Flemming on one side, Gordon Brown's arse on the other)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 27, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Clydesdale Bank notes even have women on them! Mary Slessor (missionary) on some tenners and Elsie Inglis (doctor and suffragette) on some fifties. And Bank of Scotland have pictures of some pretty sweet bridges. Poster of Scottish notes here: http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/media/scottish_banknotes_poster_2009.pdf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

Clydesdale Bank notes even have women on them! Mary Slessor (missionary) on some tenners and Elsie Inglis (doctor and suffragette) on some fifties. And Bank of Scotland have pictures of some pretty sweet bridges. Poster of Scottish notes here: http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/media/scottish_banknotes_poster_2009.pdf

Before we drown in outrage over the removal of Elizabeth Fry from the £5 note, do we know who is going to be on the other denominations in the 2016 issue?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Stewart Lee is on the £20, they're putting Patrick Stewart on the tenner, and Jade Goody (bald) is on the £50.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

Before we drown in outrage over the removal of Elizabeth Fry from the £5 note, do we know who is going to be on the other denominations in the 2016 issue?

£10 Sir Richard Rich.
£20 Oswald Mosley.
£50 Jack the Ripper.

If the tories had their way!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Jedit posted:

The Bank of England works at a much slower pace. We already have the 'new' £20 and £50 notes, with Adam Smith on the £20 since 2007 and Matthew Boulton and James Watt sharing the £50 since 2011.

Observer:

Independent On Sunday:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is he suggesting that Bashar al-Assad is going to invade America?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is he suggesting that Bashar al-Assad is going to invade America?

I think it's about the use of chemical weapons

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I know, I know. It's a red line and he's crossed it. Why is it a red bar in the American flag?

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Mr. Squishy posted:

I know, I know. It's a red line and he's crossed it. Why is it a red bar in the American flag?

I'm not sure you're genuinely asking for this to be explained, or ironically criticising the cartoon.

In case of the former :

It is a red bar in the American flag because the cartoonist is alluding to the fact that Obama (the USA) has the capacity to control Assad if he so chooses by force of might.

The joke is that whereas a red-line usually denotes a single tipping-point, over which diplomacy turns to military action, in this case there are a number of "red-lines" (bars in the flag), suggesting that Obama is being weak and allowing Assad to continually break the condition of last resort without taking the severe action he threatens.

I hope that helped.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

I'm not sure you're genuinely asking for this to be explained, or ironically criticising the cartoon.

In case of the former :

It is a red bar in the American flag because the cartoonist is alluding to the fact that Obama (the USA) has the capacity to control Assad if he so chooses by force of might.

The joke is that whereas a red-line usually denotes a single tipping-point, over which diplomacy turns to military action, in this case there are a number of "red-lines" (bars in the flag), suggesting that Obama is being weak and allowing Assad to continually break the condition of last resort without taking the severe action he threatens.

I hope that helped.

And in the process, Assad is trampling on the American flag.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Jedit posted:

And in the process, Assad is trampling on the American flag.

His feet are dirty too - I thought that might be what the cartoon is about. Nobody like a person who doesn't wipe their feet before they walk into frame.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

GuestBob posted:

His feet are dirty too - I thought that might be what the cartoon is about. Nobody like a person who doesn't wipe their feet before they walk into frame.

It's blood rather than dirt, but this too.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Ken Clarke brands UKIP 'clowns'.

Independent:

Iain Duncan Smith urges wealthy elderly to 'hand back' benefits.

Express:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How rural do you have to be to get all your news from placards left propped against a stone wall. Also, is foreign aid in the news, or is that just the Express being the Express?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 29, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Express has long held the opinion that the government should not be giving money to "the foreigners" while the UK is in any sort of financial difficulty.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

OK, now I can sleep.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

The Express has long held the opinion that the government should not be giving money to "the foreigners" while the UK is in any sort of financial difficulty.

I'm pretty sure even if we weren't in financial difficulty they wouldn't want us giving money to foreigners.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

How rural do you have to be to get all your news from placards left propped against a stone wall.

Funny you should say that

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

I wonder whether that couple are recurring characters in these cartoons? The guy has grown a bad goatee and the woman has dyed her hair, but otherwise it's the same two. Probably it's just that Paul Thomas only has limited ability to draw people, but I'd love to discover that there's another layer to these cartoons where we follow the adventures of the same few sets of Middle Englanders through the neverending travails imposed upon them by the lefty liberal Government's shockingly lax policies on immigration and benefits.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

This links up perfectly with Electric 6's "Gay Bar".

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FO2uHmig.gif&sound=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHTN6Du3MCgI&start=12

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

:fuckoff: seriously these just make me despair sometimes.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

vodkat posted:

:fuckoff: seriously these just make me despair sometimes.

Someone needs to hide that man's felt tips.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Ken Clarke brands UKIP 'clowns'.
Who the hell threw the pie at Cameron? (Answer: All of us!)

quote:

Express:

:effort:

It really just seems like such a cruel and callous argument. "I'd give back my bus pass, but the money might go to feeding starving foreign children!" :fuckoff:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Also apparently having a bus pass is a sign of wealth?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Kurtofan posted:

Also apparently having a bus pass is a sign of wealth?
I think it's more that it's considered an unnecessary benefit for the well-off, being automatically given out to people of a certain age whether or not they'd ever deign to use public transport. Out of the benefit returns being suggested, it's the only one that could be regarded as unearned (unlike pensions) and unneeded (unlike fuel in winter).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's also hilarious to see it falling out of IDS' mouth after the tories have been blocking the lib-dems tying such benefits to income throughout the coalition.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's also hilarious to see it falling out of IDS' mouth after the tories have been blocking the lib-dems tying such benefits to income throughout the coalition.

Actually there's an important distinction there - the Lib Dems are talking about means testing, so wealthy people lose benefits they don't need. Basically moving some of the burden of welfare cuts off the poor.

IDS doesn't support this idea, he's appealing to wealthy people's sense of charity. No taking from the rich, that only happens to people who actually need welfare - instead it's entirely optional, altruistic even, for them to graciously give back some of the handouts money they deserve, and feel like they're sharing the country's burden.

It's like when right-libertarians say that all tax is theft, that they shouldn't be forced to pay to fund the welfare system, and if it were abolished then private charity would totally take up the slack and provide just as much welfare, if not more! Except nope, we've been there, funnily enough it was poo poo. Making it optional is a way of soothing the consciences and bank managers of the wealthy, without doing anything useful for society. It's moral cover for them and the Tories, that's all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

I think it's more that it's considered an unnecessary benefit for the well-off, being automatically given out to people of a certain age whether or not they'd ever deign to use public transport.

Winter fuel payments I can see being a valid point, but the well-off old people who don't use their OAP bus passes don't cost anyone anything beyond the cost of making the card. I could understand the Tories not understanding the situation of the poor because it's alien to them, but Evil Dumbfuck poo poo doesn't seem to understand the rich either. He really is on a whole new level of stupid.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I know its the Express but if I was their art director I would get my money back.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Kenneth Clarke has characterised Ukip candidates as waifs and strays, feeding on prejudice about immigration." Also, EU bans bee-harming pesticides. Europe! :argh:

Telegraph:

I think it's "Ed Miliband asked 13 times whether Labour would borrow more"

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘We’ve decided to start using our bus passes. Would you direct us to the first class compartment and bar?’

Express:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Why's Ed not in the captain's seat?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh for fucks sake, Daily Express.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I initially thought this was a pretty OK gag, and then I saw the caricatures of minorities and lower class scum and remembered that Mac can't draw a cartoon that's not offensive even when he's not being offensive.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Universal Credit pilot scheme goes live.

Telegraph:

Prisoners stripped of right to watch TV

Independent:

(Yesterday's)

The president of the UAE is visiting Britain.

Daily Mail:

"Soon prisoners will have to work to get benefits like Sky TV and other privileges."

quote:

“Keep going, Fingers. So far you’ve only earned the right to watch an early episode of the Tellytubbies.”

Express

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Express, the thing about stereotypes is, if you keep conforming to them, people are going to keep believing them.

So when you publish two cartoons about the Royals in a row...

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nice. No newspaper board for this one, so there's a note mysteriously glued to the back of the royal TV.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Universal credits? :suicide:

To catch up on the IF...

quote:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I'm loving the James Bond caricature in the latest If's... Its just perfect :swoon:

• Locked thread