Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

CitizenKeen posted:

Apologies, I was just pulling an example out of my rear end. I'm aware that a Fighter-base who multiclasses into Wizard doesn't get Ritual (if they take the spellcasting). I was just pointing out that they're the kind of people who will write a four page fluff backstory to justify taking moves from any class. Now, if a player writes four pages of fluff they should be able to do pretty much whatever they want, but with an emphasis on pretty much. I’m concerned that making DW classless could get dangerous and tricky from a balance perspective.

But maybe I'm just approaching it wrong.

It shouldn't be tricky from a balance perspective, all you have to do is, well, approach it. Work with your players to make the moves, and ideally have some experience with Dungeon World itself before diving straight in. When I first touched Dungeon World I was using Shapeshifter hold to give me +whatever to damage on Hack and Slash rolls and thought d6 damage was really lame. Then I slammed my head against a wall with sandworm hold and realized "this is Dungeon World, gently caress yes".

Dungeon World isn't a game that rewards you for stacking the best mechanics on top of each other, it's a game where you roll 6- and jump into the giant flame whale's mouth to get your sword back. It actually does crunch really badly and most fights might very well be you swinging around on a giant stone golem until you trick it into smashing through the wall to the treasure room for you. There's very few bonuses to be had and a box for a negative to each stat on the sheet, everything else is just the story you're telling.

That said, everyone should have a distinct 'thing' that's theirs to do. That's why classes are important, because they are those 'things'. It can be difficult to separate everyone into having their own distinct things to do if they just make their own characters up, but I feel like getting together and making your characters as a group both solves this problem and is a really good thing to do anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
My take is that so long as both the players and GM understand the power levels of the characters will increase by taking moves from everywhere, I don't see why not. Writing custom classes or custom moves works great too, but if your players are picking and choosing already I say just let that happen.

Niche protection can be as simple as "don't pick the same move as someone else". The DW book already has a line for when two people want the same class ("talk it over like adults and compromise"), apply that logic to picking the same moves. Also helped by creating characters together as a group.

The nice thing about DW is say you want the Fighter's signature weapon, Mage spellcasting, Wizard spellcasting, and Artificer gadgets. That's actually not an unbalanced character at all. Yeah, you do hog your own niche, but the moves overlap a hell of a lot and you can't use them all at once anyway. Somewhat more of a concern would be something like Mage spellcasting, Witch's potion, Druid shapeshifting, Psion telekinetic strike, and that's where niche and overlap protection would have to come in.

You can pretty much codify this pretty much any way you like. Were it me, I'd have a fairly loose template, something like this. I might put it into PDF character sheet form later, if anyone but me thinks it's a good idea.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

TheDemon posted:

You can pretty much codify this pretty much any way you like. Were it me, I'd have a fairly loose template, something like this. I might put it into PDF character sheet form later, if anyone but me thinks it's a good idea.

That is an excellent hack! Thank you.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

TheDemon posted:

I love being on Google Docs and seeing Anonymous (animal) appear.

Good document, also. I like the picking of two stats to guide selections.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

gnome7 posted:

If you're already taking from Inverse World, I think The Walker and The Lantern have a lot of really cool abilities that work well in standard dungeoning. Also, I don't know how you missed The Witch. Broomstick flight, black magic, potion brewing, ice sculptures on demand. How is that not cool?

For classes that aren't mine, I will always suggest The Initiate as a cooler Fighter. Otherwise I think you've touched on all the best ones.

I did consider these. The Walker makes for a really cool stealth-ninja type class (despite being STR-based), but given that its main thing is "walks on walls" and the mechanic has a thing that lets him do that plus he has a super mech suit, it felt like a bit of niche encroachment. Of course that's not necessarily going to be the case, but I'm cautious of characters treading on others' turf. Looking over the Walker again there is a lot there that looks fun, perhaps not on the scale of the Mechanic or the Druid but probably on par with the Gladiator.

The Lantern is neat but I think its flavour is a bit setting-specific, there are already plenty of magical classes, and having a little light that does stuff is fun but it doesn't seem to fill any particular archetype that plyers could get into. It's weirdly specific while not exactly fitting a fictional niche. I might give it a go but I'm not sure about including it as core in a dungeon-crawling swashbuckling adventure setting.

I did just take a look at the Captain though:

quote:

Sail the Skies Seas
You have an airship a ship with a capable crew, capable of sailing the skies seas to anywhere you care to go. Your ship has a Maneuverability of +0, 3 marks of damage, and cannons (2d6 damage,far, near vs. other ships). When your ship takes 10 or more damage from a single hit, your ship takes one mark of damage. Your ship entirely ignores hits that deal less than that. When you take the last mark of damage on your ship, it is no longer able to fly sail. When you want to repair your ship, you'll need to spend some downtime and 50 coin per mark repaired.

The rest of the playbook works completely fine, word-for-word. Problem solved :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boing posted:

while not exactly fitting a fictional niche.

Well no, that is kind of the point. It fits a fictional niche that isn't there in D&D.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 29, 2013

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is bullshit.

There's fictional balance (making sure that a given playbook doesn't grab the spotlight more than it should by virtue of its move scope - larger-scope moves ought to have restrictive triggers, and vice-versa) and mechanical balance (base damage, HP, Load, etc. should all be tailored according to what the class does; moves shouldn't give too many bonuses or allow a class to bypass stuff entirely). Balance always applies.

I think you misunderstand my hyperbole. The person I was responding to seemed to be worried about dnd 3.x style multi classing where you cherry pick 2 or 3 levels of 5 different classes that have no thematic unity for a monstously powerful character. I was trying to illustrate that isn't really a problem in DW. Balance totally matters when making a class but that wasn't the issue at hand.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Boing posted:

The Lantern is neat but I think its flavour is a bit setting-specific, there are already plenty of magical classes, and having a little light that does stuff is fun but it doesn't seem to fill any particular archetype that plyers could get into. It's weirdly specific while not exactly fitting a fictional niche

It all depends on your perspective.

Besides, having setting-specific things that are neat and different and maybe only fit the fictional niche created for them in the setting shouldn't be a downside in fantasy fiction.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Boing posted:

I did just take a look at the Captain though:

The rest of the playbook works completely fine, word-for-word. Problem solved :colbert:

Actually that change is addressed and mentioned in the draft of the rulebook. I also include rules for being the captain of a walking land-castle and a spaceship. "The rest of the playbook works completely fine, word-for-word." was intentional.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

gnome7 posted:

Actually that change is addressed and mentioned in the draft of the rulebook. I also include rules for being the captain of a walking land-castle and a spaceship. "The rest of the playbook works completely fine, word-for-word." was intentional.

What Gnome isn't explicitly saying, but totally means, is that Inverse World is perfect for tabletop Final Fantasy 6.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gnome, where do you want feedback on the IW playbooks?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Oh awesome! The playbooks are definitely my favourite part of IW so I really like the idea of hacking them to fit a particular setting. I'm pleased you don't mind :dance:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well no, that is kind of the point. It fits a fictional niche that isn't there in D&D.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Besides, having setting-specific things that are neat and different and maybe only fit the fictional niche created for them in the setting shouldn't be a downside in fantasy fiction.

I agree and I agree. I think there are levels of that, though. Fighters and Thieves and Paladins are staples of the D&D genre of fantasy fiction, and they are a bit stale. Pirate captains and mad inventors and gladiators are a bit fresher - they are stereotypes, but you don't often get to play as one, so they are exciting. And because they are stereotypes, they are easy to make characters out of. You just need to project a few tweaks and a little flavour onto that stereotype and you have a perfectly legit playable character. People know what a Fighter or a Thief or a Paladin does. People also know what an airship captain or an inventor with a mech suit or a gladiator do. But, at least for me, the Lantern feels weird to get as a character concept, since there's nothing that guides that fiction. Stereotypes can be useful when they're not overplayed.

It's unique, and while I normally go for that kind of thing, I'm not sure about including it in a core line-up of pick-up-and-play classes for first time DW players. Although I will have it stashed away in the folder when I say "Or if you don't fancy any of those, I have some more off-the-wall poo poo in here". Except the Walker, that one is on-the-wall

e: I love the Witch too and it's very flavourful in just the right way, but overlaps with the Mage a lot. The Initiate is a good call though.

Boing fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 29, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Lantern already exists in two places you may not have thought of, actually - Jedi Knights and Green Lantern. The class is basically a mix of those two things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mikan posted:

What Gnome isn't explicitly saying, but totally means, is that Inverse World is perfect for tabletop Final Fantasy 6.

This is literally how I pitched it to my group.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Gnome, where do you want feedback on the IW playbooks?

PM me.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

gnome7 posted:

The Lantern already exists in two places you may not have thought of, actually - Jedi Knights and Green Lantern. The class is basically a mix of those two things.

This. One of the advanced moves literally gives you a lightsaber. :shobon:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Well I just spent a bunch of money on DW playbooks, I hope you guys are happy :shepface:

(seriously though I am going to have so much fun)

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

gnome7 posted:

And the Inverse World Kickstarter is live!

Check it out!

So psyched!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I was already backing, but now I'm far more interested in this play book. I haven't even read all the previews yet.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

ElegantFugue posted:

Do you mean the Sharpshooter again? Because I'm okay with the Marksman class I wrote sharing the name but I do think it might get kinda confusing.

I don't even know anymore. I should really just call it the Hitman or the Cleaner or something.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

CitizenKeen posted:

Mix and matching, multiclassing stuff.

The entire party can be made of Freebooters.

That might work for you, or it might give you some ideas.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Ich posted:

The entire party can be made of Freebooters.

That might work for you, or it might give you some ideas.

I like this.

Is it your intention that taking Combat Trick twice lets you pick both H&S and volley? I wasn't sure exactly what you mean by, "doesn't stack," as that seems to be the only reason you'd do that.

EDIT: The situational stuff. Never mind me.

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 30, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Destrado posted:

On that note if there's three other Australians wanting in on the physical copy, get in touch!

I'll be in for one if we can find another two.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
In regards to the discussion about multiclassing and cobbling together playsheets for custom ideas, it's worth mentioning that Dungeon World works off a single core mechanic for task resolution. So long as yuor players aren't regularly rolling more than +3 on a move, they're going to get plenty of 7-9 results that drive the game forward. World of Dungeons proves you can play an entire game just with Defy Danger.

The beauty of DW playbooks as they are is that they present a cohesive fictional concept for your character. Multiclassing as is gives you an opportunity to broaden the scope of your character in a controlled way.

Gnome's Worldly multiclass move and a variation of (I think Lemon's) Thematic multiclass move could be included as options for every player at your table. Give Thematic to them as an option between 2-5, and Worldly as an option for 6-10.

Thematic Advancement
For one of your advanced moves, you may take a move from any playbook appropriate to your character's theme and level. Describe how you came to have this new move. If you take a starting move that relies on other moves to function, you get those moves as well.

Worldly Advancement
For one of your advanced moves, you may take a move approriate to your level -1, from any playbook another player isn't using. If you take a starting move that relies on other moves to function, you get those moves as well.

Another option to consider is custom moves and compendium classes when your players level up. Doing this at the table, or as a team effort is fun, rewarding, and will produce more balanced results. You can get a lot of variation and different flavour from playbooks by re-skinning as well. A simple edit to a move's trigger can make it play very differently.

There is the posibility to munchkin DW if you give open season multiclassing to players, but the results are less rewarding than other systems because it's difficult to inflate your stats beyond +3.

There are some veteran munchkin players in my group that know how to milk a system, but when we started playing DW, they quickly abandoned that. They didn't care when they got a sub-optimal roll because exciting things were still happening and it didn't neccessarily 'feel' like failure. The best thing about DW is that failure doesn't stall the game - it drives it!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

I don't even know anymore. I should really just call it the Hitman or the Cleaner or something.

Hey, that's a great idea! That way there won't be any danger of confusion until I actually post what I've gotten so far for The Secret Agent class I have been working on lately!
This is actually freaking me out a little at this point.
On an even-more-related note, The Secret Agent will get a set of three Gadgets per mission, which he can spend to gain the use of one move from any other class not in use for a bit. Just how long he can use it (and how much attention he'll draw in the process) depends on what sort of flaws you choose the gadget to suffer from.

Anyway, in honor of Inverse World's Kickstarter, I've updated The Marksman to use Inverse World-style Drive and Background instead of Alignment and Race. I also tightened up the wording on Draw a Bead on 'em to have more of a fiction hook, dropped the Bullseye-style Assortment of Hidden Throwables for a newfangled Dwarven pistol, added a new move called Stand and Deliver, and dropped In My Sights (which no longer actually did anything with Draw a Bead and Curve the Arrow combined) for Hawkeye, which lets you shoot the balls off a fly at twenty paces if you're so inclined. The classic Marksman is still available at the same spot as before, but I'd strongly recommend using the new IW-style Marksman if you can.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So The Giant is approaching completion. I've moves the Talisman size-shifting moves into the advanced moves list, and I'm still thinking of rewriting them or cutting them entirely. I've also got some material for the third page:

The Giant posted:

Including a Giant in your game

A Giant is a big departure from many playbooks in that it can more apparently change a lot of the scale, scope, and themes of the game due to it’s size. While all playbooks do this to a degree, The Giant is far more obvious in this. this page includes some things for both the players and GM to consider, and some questions to ask to see how your giant fits into the world.

Giant Strength
For most classes, Strength describes pure muscle power or physical prowess. This may bring you to question why the Giant still has the same strength stat opportunities as everyone else. That’s because the stat describe how good you are at leveraging your strength conscientiously. Sure, a huge giant may be able to pick up a wagon, but without control of their strength, they’re likely to drop the unwieldy thing.

Fitting in, and just plain Fitting.
If you have a Giant in your game, that says something about what the player wants to be doing. They want places their giant will fit most of the time. When you intend to use cities, indoor locations, or caves keep this in mind. There should be times when the Giant’s size is a hindrance, (GM move: Show a downside to their class, race, or equipment) but still give them opportunity to move about without too much complication most of the time (GM Principle: Be a fan of the characters)

Combat Balance
The Giant’s moves, namely Larger Than Life are about describing how the Giant interacts with the world and others. So how does a group of Goblins challenge a Giant as much as it does the rest of the party? Consider that perhaps Goblins and other monsters have experience with fighting a Giant, and consider what anti-Giant weaponry they would carry. Javelins, bows, flaming arrows, Giant-poison, etc.

The Giant doesn’t have any more HP or armor than a Fighter, making it equally vulnerable. It still has the same spread of ability stats that the other classes do.

Here are some questions to ask your Giant player

Just how big are you anyway?
So Giants are big, but the exact size can vary greatly. This playbook is designed to work with most Giant sizes, but choosing your size will present it’s own advantages and challenges. Will you fit in the Town Hall or the Inn? how about the caves in the Dark Wood? Here are a few size suggestions:

⃞Big
You are roughly twice as tall as a human. You can fit in human-sized abodes and settlements with little or rare difficulty.

⃞Large
You are around 3 times taller than a human. You can fit in human-sized settlements but an average sized building is just too small.

⃞Huge
You stand 4 times taller than a human. You may uncomfortably fit in some larger settlements, but most human-sized spaces and doorways are far too small.

How common are Giants?
This can determine how most people react to Giants, and how accomodating cities are to them. Your average village might not have a room for Giant, but a larger city’s streets may accommodate larger folk, and there may even be an inn with a room for you.

What are Giants known for in Civilisation?
Are Giants respected members of society with a purpose? Or are they seen as terrifying monsters? Perhaps they are insular, rarely seen amongst the smallfolk.There may be many stories told about them that only hold a small kernel of truth.

Any other things you folks think should be addressed, or any other questions that would be good to add?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No, that's an excellent primer to include on the first page - it does a good job or highlighting the differences between the Giant and normal-sized characters.

In other news, here is what I'm working on right now:

quote:

Starting moves

Cat’s Grace
Your coordination and agility are enhanced. You can jump three times your height and fall a great ways without harm. You’re always the first to react to a perceived threat, and all other factors equal will always finish a task requiring manual dexterity before anyone else attempting it.

Contract Killer
When you have downtime and put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract, roll +??. On a hit, someone approaches you with a job - they’ll give you a name and maybe a description. Roll 2d6: that’s what the job is worth to them, in tens of coins; take it or leave it. On a 7-9, the job has strings attached - they want you to kill the target in a specific way or place, by a specific time, etc. If you fail to complete a contract, take -1 ongoing to Contract Killer until you prove your worth again.

Advanced moves 2-5

Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, their offer is double your roll.

Thieves’ Highway
When you use the city rooftops to travel to your destination or escape pursuit, roll +??. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1:
- you get there unseen or lose your pursuers
- you get there in half the time it would normally take
- you leave nothing that could be traced back to you or your friends

Bind Weapon
When you take a few hours to ritualistically prepare a weapon, you can summon that weapon to your hand at will; it simply appears there at your command.

Translocation
When you close your eyes, visualise your destination and step back into a space coextant with reality, roll +??. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you reappear a few metres from your intended destination
- you reappear several seconds later
- you leave something behind when you disappear

Stakeout
When you spend several hours scoping out a place, person or situation, you can Discern Realities with +?? and add the following questions to your list of choices:
- what is the stealthiest route out of here?
- what is the best way to get to my target?

Advanced moves 6-10

The Professional
Replaces: Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, name your price. If they can afford it, they’ll pay.

Still short two starting moves (as well as all the rest, of course), but it's a magic-powered assassin class. Still haven't decided what stat to use as primary; I'm leaning towards Int.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 30, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

"The dude from Dishonored" is a great idea for a class

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boing posted:

"The dude from Dishonored" is a great idea for a class

Yeah, it is a pretty rare instance of having enough material for an entire class in a single source. I am still ripping from other places, though (notably the Malazan Book of the Fallen, a tiny bit from the AD&D Assassin, and then probably a fair bit from movies).

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, it is a pretty rare instance of having enough material for an entire class in a single source. I am still ripping from other places, though (notably the Malazan Book of the Fallen, a tiny bit from the AD&D Assassin, and then probably a fair bit from movies).

Don't forget good ol assassins creed, and fitz from the Farseer trilogy by robin hobb.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, that's an excellent primer to include on the first page - it does a good job or highlighting the differences between the Giant and normal-sized characters.

In other news, here is what I'm working on right now:

Still short two starting moves (as well as all the rest, of course), but it's a magic-powered assassin class. Still haven't decided what stat to use as primary; I'm leaning towards Int.

On Contract Killer, it seems like +Cha is a natural fit, but +Int could work, too.
Alternatively, have you considered a building reputation? Maybe class starts with one rep, and instead of giving -1 ongoing, failing gives -1 rep and succeeding gives +1 rep. Maybe it's not worth it to have that extra fiddly bit, though. Just spouting ideas.u

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd be tempted by Int first with Dex as a secondary, but it's tricky!

I much prefer Translocation as the class's main move over Cat's Grace; it's much cleaner and simpler to use (though still as versatile) and sets the direction of the class as a dextrous-wizard-assassin, rather than a traditional thief who can branch in to magic.

Cat's Grace has good components, but I feel it's trying to do too much at once. You could definitely afford to split it up a bit and get a bit more depth from the moves. e.g.

quote:

Starting Moves

Translocation
Contract Killer
Cat's Grace - You can jump higher than a normal human and take no fall damage.
Heightened Reflexes - When you would normally be taken by surprise, roll 2d6+dex. On a 10+ choose 1 action to make in the split-second before the surprise. On a 7-9 it happens simultaneously:
* You have time for one translocate
* You can warn a single ally
* third option! Not sure.
I know there's no time periods/ initiatives in DW, but Heightened Reflexes allows you to react speedily without (hopefully) breaking that.
Also, you've got to include a Backstab kinda move! Here's the Thief move, though I've never been that impressed with it:

quote:

Backstab

When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX. ✴On a 10+ choose two. ✴On a 7–9 choose one.

You don’t get into melee with them
You deal your damage+1d6
You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Hi folks,

I'm Chris Sakkas, the guy behind Grim Portents (download issue 1 ("The Dead of Winter") here).

Submissions for issue 2 ("The Wine-Dark Sea") are now closed, but I've just announced the theme for issue 3: "The Thaw". I would love to see what you can come up with.

You don't have to submit an article that's on-theme, and you don't have to write the submission especially for Grim Portents. I'm particularly excited by the extensive feedback and reworking which homebrews get exposed to here. If you wanted to submit the final version of a playbook to Grim Portents instead of or as well as publishing it on DriveThruRPG, I'd be very happy to publish it.

There's no closing date for submissions yet because I have uni exams coming up and there's no point closing submissions if it'll take me another month or two to get the issue together.

If you have a submission or any questions, please do email me: sanglorian@gmail.com

I'll also stick around on this thread if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks folks.

----

EDIT:

Someone asked what sort of submissions I was accepting to Grim Portents 3: The Thaw. Sorry, I really should have mentioned that:

* They have to be under a Creative Commons Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike licence.
* They can be for any * World or World of * game.
* They can be any length, from a single move or monster to a 5,000-word epic.
* And I guess I would have to think hard about an R-rated submission, although nothing has come close to that so far.

Sanglorian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 30, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

"The Thaw" is a really great theme, very evocative. Gonna see if I can come up with something to fit.

Inverse World is a Kickstarter staff pick :toot:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikan posted:

Inverse World is a Kickstarter staff pick :toot:

Let this be a lesson learned: EM is some kind of black magic social media wizard, and getting him to help with your KS will probably mean you win.

The Supreme Court posted:

I much prefer Translocation as the class's main move over Cat's Grace; it's much cleaner and simpler to use (though still as versatile) and sets the direction of the class as a dextrous-wizard-assassin, rather than a traditional thief who can branch in to magic.

Cat's Grace has good components, but I feel it's trying to do too much at once. You could definitely afford to split it up a bit and get a bit more depth from the moves. e.g.

I know there's no time periods/ initiatives in DW, but Heightened Reflexes allows you to react speedily without (hopefully) breaking that.
Also, you've got to include a Backstab kinda move! Here's the Thief move, though I've never been that impressed with it:

Translocation felt like I was forcing a reference to me, and didn't really entirely fit with the rest of the basic moves/first-glance class concept - the idea is that you're a magically-enhanced assassin, and teleporting is more a kind of thing you would get an advance for.

Cat's Grace has been split - although I have too many 2-5 moves now. Whoops! I deliberately do not want to involve rolling in Heightened Reflexes - you just always go first as long as you aren't surprised, no matter what. It's a good enough bonus to make up one move!

And I have a +damage move:

Anatomist
When you deliberately aim for a creature’s vital organs, deal +1d6 damage.

Doesn't rely on surprise, not boostable with another advance, requires you to know where their vital organs are.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 30, 2013

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And I have a +damage move:

Anatomist

Doesn't rely on surprise, not boostable with another advance, requires you to know where their vital organs are.

And I like that you used the word "organs" - doesn't work against golems, clockwork beasts, elementals, and most undead and plant creatures. Useful without being omnipresent. Good stuff.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

And I like that you used the word "organs" - doesn't work against golems, clockwork beasts, elementals, and most undead and plant creatures. Useful without being omnipresent. Good stuff.

That's why you should always aim for the organelles (well, I guess that actually only helps with plants).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

That was the intention, but I'm debating either changing it or having an advance to broaden it; it's weird that you couldn't use it to do more damage to e.g. an automaton by targeting servo clumps, or whatever.

In other news:

quote:

STARTING MOVES

Cat’s Grace
Your coordination and agility are enhanced. You can jump three times your height and fall a great distance without harm.

Stakeout
When you spend several hours scoping out a place, person or situation, you can Discern Realities with +Int and add the following question to your list of choices:
- what would be the most opportune moment to strike?

Bind Weapon
When you take a few hours to ritualistically prepare a weapon, you can reach into any shadow or pool of darkness and draw that weapon out, regardless of its physical location.

Contract Killer
When you have downtime and put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract, roll +Int. On a hit, someone approaches you with a job - they’ll give you a name and maybe a description. Roll 2d6: that’s what the job is worth to them, in tens of coins; take it or leave it. On a 7-9, the job has strings attached - they want you to kill the target in a specific way or place, by a specific time, etc. If you fail to complete a contract, take -1 ongoing to Contract Killer until you prove your worth again.

ADVANCED MOVES 2-5

Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, their offer is double your roll.

Thieves’ Highway
When you use the city rooftops to travel to your destination or escape pursuit, roll +Int. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1:
- you get there unseen or lose your pursuers
- you get there in half the time it would normally take
- you leave nothing that could be traced back to you or your friends

Translocation
When you close your eyes, visualise your destination and step back into a space coextant with reality, roll +Int. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you reappear a few metres from your intended destination
- you reappear several seconds later
- you leave something behind when you disappear

Heightened Reflexes
You’re always the first to react to a perceived threat, and all other factors equal will always finish any task that requires manual dexterity before anyone else attempting it.

Vermin Friend
You are a friend to all the low forms of life - insects, rats, small birds, stray dogs, etc. and creatures of those types will never attack you. When you give them a simple order (“eat this,” “go over there,” “run away,” etc.), they’ll follow it as long as it doesn’t go against their instincts.

Corpseheart
You have complete control over your heart and can still it to a point where it barely beats. As long as you concentrate on slowing your cardiac rhythm, you cannot be detected through your lifeforce, your breath or your heartbeat.

Anatomist

ADVANCED MOVES 6-10

The Professional
Replaces: Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, name your price. If they can afford it, they’ll pay.

Killing Word
When you engrave the birth name of a person on a projectile, it will always strike them true as long as you can see them when you fire - no matter how improbable it would be for it to hit.

Devouring Shadows
When you whisper words of binding to deep shadows, you can wield them as a weapon with the a range of Reach and the tags, Area, Precise and Terrifying.

Still not entirely sure on the starting move array.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Let this be a lesson learned: EM is some kind of black magic social media wizard, and getting him to help with your KS will probably mean you win.
[/quote]

Wait, I'm what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That was the intention, but I'm debating either changing it or having an advance to broaden it; it's weird that you couldn't use it to do more damage to e.g. an automaton by targeting servo clumps, or whatever.

I guess there's some viability there: Spout Lore to know where clockwork golems are vulnerable. 6-, they have no servo clumps.