Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Kepa posted:

No argument on the advertising value. Didn't McPixel do something similar with piracy-based marketing?
McPixel was one of the games that negotiated a featuring on Pirate Bay, I think. No Time To Explain was, I believe, another.

One of the two was, I think, the one that did the "roach" edition / made fun of piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I remember shortly after a multi-platform game I tested went to PC, there was a very frustrating sort of attitude about piracy in the studio. The game was definitely a shoddy PC port in pretty much every way, which was called out by reviewers and players alike, but people I talked to within the company would try to justify it in this weird way by saying "well the piracy rate on the game was 90%, who cares about them anyway".

The problems did eventually get fixed, but it really showed how incapable the greater game industry is in rationally dealing with the piracy issue in a reasonable way.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Every time this discussion comes up, I renew my thanks for working in MMOs. Even with the emu scene out there, our servers are still why people want to play in the first place. Even though I think the SimCity decision was possibly the worst decision possible, I completely understand why someone who didn't fully understand the SimCity playerbase would make it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

miscellaneous14 posted:

I remember shortly after a multi-platform game I tested went to PC, there was a very frustrating sort of attitude about piracy in the studio. The game was definitely a shoddy PC port in pretty much every way, which was called out by reviewers and players alike, but people I talked to within the company would try to justify it in this weird way by saying "well the piracy rate on the game was 90%, who cares about them anyway".

The problems did eventually get fixed, but it really showed how incapable the greater game industry is in rationally dealing with the piracy issue in a reasonable way.

It's an industry full of manchildern. Cut us some slack! :v: But no seriously yes piracy is one of those issues that really makes things go sour. It basically becomes a us versus them mentality and boy that is one road you don't like to go in at all. There is a reason for the NDAs. Basically to prevent stupid poo poo like that to happen.

God knows if there wasn't developers would love to loving poo poo on fans if they had the power to do so.

I guess it's more a frustration that there isn't really any real answer to how much piracy affects sales and its what drives people nuts.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shindragon posted:

God knows if there wasn't developers would love to loving poo poo on fans if they had the power to do so.

Which is a shame, because as cathartic as it may be, it's not helpful when dealing with a systemic problem.

In other news, this is a thing.

Andrew Orloski from The Register posted:

Have you ever uploaded a photo to Facebook, Instagram or Flickr?

If so, you'll probably want to read this, because the rules on who can exploit your work have now changed radically, overnight.

Amateur and professional illustrators and photographers alike will find themselves ensnared by the changes, the result of lobbying by Silicon Valley and radical bureaucrats and academics. The changes are enacted in the sprawling Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act which received Royal Assent last week, and it marks a huge shift in power away from citizens and towards large US corporations.

How so? Previously, and in most of the world today, ownership of your creation is automatic, and legally considered to be an individual's property. That's enshrined in the Berne Convention and other international treaties, where it's considered to be a basic human right. What this means in practice is that you can go after somebody who exploits it without your permission - even if pursuing them is cumbersome and expensive.

The UK coalition government's new law reverses this human right. When last year Instagram attempted to do something similar, it met a furious backlash. But the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act has sailed through without most amateurs or semi-professionals even realising the consequences.

The Act contains changes to UK copyright law which permit the commercial exploitation of images where information identifying the owner is missing, so-called "orphan works", by placing the work into what's known as "extended collective licensing" schemes. Since most digital images on the internet today are orphans - the metadata is missing or has been stripped by a large organisation - millions of photographs and illustrations are swept into such schemes.

For the first time anywhere in the world, the Act will permit the widespread commercial exploitation of unidentified work - the user only needs to perform a "diligent search". But since this is likely to come up with a blank, they can proceed with impunity. The Act states that a user of a work can act as if they are the owner of the work (which should be you) if they're given permission to do so by the Secretary of State and are acting as a regulated body.

The Act also fails to prohibit sub-licensing, meaning that once somebody has your work, they can wholesale it. This gives the green light to a new content-scraping industry, an industry that doesn't have to pay the originator a penny. Such is the consequence of "rebalancing copyright", in reality.

What now?
Quite what happens next is not clear, because the Act is merely enabling legislation - the nitty gritty will come in the form of statutory instruments, to be tabled later in the year. Parliament has not voted down a statutory instrument since 1979, so the political process is probably now a formality.

In practice, you'll have two stark choices to prevent being ripped off: remove your work from the internet entirely, or opt-out by registering it. And registration will be on a work-by-work basis.

"People can now use stuff without your permission," explained photo rights campaigner Paul Ellis. "To stop that you have to register your work in a registry - but registering stuff is an activity that costs you time and money. So what was your property by default will only remain yours if you take active steps, and absorb the costs, if it is formally registered to you as the owner."

And right now, Ellis says, there's only one registry, PLUS. Photographers, including David Bailey, condemned the Coalition for rushing through the legislation before other registries - such as the Copyright Hub - could sort themselves out.

"The mass of the public will never realise they've been robbed," thinks Ellis. The radical free-our-information bureaucrats at the Intellectual Property Office had already attempted to smuggle orphan works rules through via the Digital Economy Act in 2010, but were rebuffed. Thanks to a Google-friendly Conservative-led administration, they've now triumphed.

Three other consequences appear possible.

One is a barrage of litigation from UK creators - and overseas owners who find their work Hoovered into extended collective licensing programs. International treaties allow a country to be ostracised and punished. The threat has already been made clear from US writers and photographers, who've promised "a firestorm". Reciprocal royalty arrangements can also be suspended, on the basis of "if you steal our stuff, UK, we won't pay you". In addition, a judicial review, based on the premise that the Act gives Minister unconstitutional power over the disposal of private property, is not out of the question.

Secondly, the disappearance of useful material from the internet is likely to accelerate - the exact opposite of what supporters wish for. We recently highlighted the case of an aerial photographer who's moving work outside the UK, and we've heard of several who are taking their photos away from the web, and into lockers. The internet is poorer without a diverse creative economy - because creators need legal certainty of property rights.

And finally, there's the macroeconomic consequences for the UK economy.

The notorious 'Google Review' chaired by Ian Hargreaves failed to undertake adequate impact assessments, a giveaway that even the most rabid "copyright reformers" recognise there isn't an economic case to be made for taking everyone's stuff and giving it away.

"There's value in works, and if anybody can exploit them except the person who creates them, then value is transferred to the exploiter," explains Ellis. "This is a massive value transfer out of the UK economy to US tech companies."

Where it will remain, he thinks, because UK tech/media companies - should they appear - almost invariably become US-owned.

Copyright "reformers" of course rarely like to talk about such unpleasant matters - and will steer the conversation away from economic consequences as rapidly as possible. Indeed, the they generally talk using Orwellian euphemisms - like "liberalising" or "rebalancing" copyright. It's rarely presented as an individual's ability to go to market being removed. This is what "copyright reform" looks like in practice.

"It's corporate capitalism," says Ellis. "Ideally you want to empower individuals to trade, and keep the proceeds of their trade. The UK has just lost that."

So while the Twitterati and intelligentsia were ranting away about "Big Content", we've just lost the ability to sell our own content. In other words, you've just been royally hosed.

While Andrew can get highstrung about these sort of things, the orphan works issue is actually a big deal, especially since it's so outwardly opaque. It's also a major area of doctrinal difference between the US and European copyright schemes (the other main area is moral rights).

-e- The broader point I'm trying to make is that issues of piracy and copyright are systemic issues. Sure, a company can design a game around avoiding piracy via DRM, or design decisions, or they can simply ignore it and do the best they can. But the major sustaining factor in piracy is an intellectual property rights regime that is broken in so many ways, and favors big money over content consumers. Until the system is fixed, you can't really win by battling the symptom.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 30, 2013

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

When I saw this on Kotaku yesterday I thought it was cool, but when I saw the screenshots it looked like they ripped off Game Dev Story to begin with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Dev_Story

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Juc66 posted:

the fortunes of the company are ultimately on the shoulders of the people running it.

Adapt or die, I believe is the phrase that sums it up best.

Except that when companies do adapt, (by making freemium games) people cry about that too. There's no pleasing people

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The Oid posted:

Except that when companies do adapt, (by making freemium games) people cry about that too. There's no pleasing people
This, and also, the notion that Freemium prevents piracy is kind of adorable. The pirates just crack your content locks, after you've politely given them a legal copy.

The only reason there aren't "we need IAP DRM and online verification!" memes yet is because few bother with the (costly) metrics it would take to track IAP piracy. Well, that, and because most F2P is still mobile, and the big publishers all imagine Android as a pirate's den already. Give it a few years, and suits will be making GBS threads a brick over that too.

The whole debate is a red herring. "If we can convert even 5% of those pirates!" makes a bunch of assumptions as to the nature of piracy that have never been backed up with hard data. Most experience seems to indicate that that 90% is largely hoarding behavior, not play behavior, and that the remaining percent is Russia/China. Converting Russia/China can't be done with DRM or anything like it, you have to address the income inequality and slanted nature of their markets, localize for those countries despite known piracy, and so on - but that's hard and risky, so few bother, instead continuing to bang on the "convert pirates!" angle.

EDIT: VV that's my approach. It sucks, but eh, all those pirated copies of Jones On Fire at least add to my "kitties saved" metric :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 30, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the hoarding angle is the major reason the rates are so high. Think of how many games you've bought from Steam during a sale that you've never actually gotten around to playing? Now imagine every game was on sale all the time for 100% off. That's piracy in a nutshell, and it's why you can't just assume "one pirated game = one lost sale".

Personally, I think it promotes a better relationship to just focus on the people who do buy your games. You don't have to be happy about piracy, but as others have said, getting too aggressive about it just ends up harming the paying customers and creating an atmosphere of hostility.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the hoarding angle is the major reason the rates are so high. Think of how many games you've bought from Steam during a sale that you've never actually gotten around to playing? Now imagine every game was on sale all the time for 100% off. That's piracy in a nutshell, and it's why you can't just assume "one pirated game = one lost sale".

I agree that a pirated game does not equal a lost sale but I don't think hoarding is the reason. People have limited budgets and there are only so many games they can buy. This is why steam sales and humble bundles are so great, because they get people to play (and pay for) games that they might not have purchased otherwise. Of course, some people do hoard games.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The company I work for got their start localizing for a country that had no history of paying for software. I don't know how they did it, but somehow they figured out how to get a eastern bloc country to pay premium prices for premium games.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Assuming 0% of piracy represents lost sales is equally ridiculous as assuming 100% does. The number is clearly in between 0 and 100. Denying the fact that eliminating piracy would increase revenue by a measurable amount is just nonsense.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
It seems that without more real data there are not a lot of good arguments you can make in the piracy debate. I do think the best way to do it is to focus on serving your customers though, because as a creator and a consumer, nothing is more stupid to me than screwing over your paying customers in an attempt to stem some unknown impact of non-paying users.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One very smart thing about what this company did is that it's a great way to actually GATHER that data. A lot of piracy rates are just based on estimates. If you create and distribute the "cracked" game yourself, you can actually see exactly how many legitimate vs. pirated copies exist (although as they mentioned it will be a bit off since anyone running it offline won't be counted). It's kind of a crazy way to gather data, but it makes for much more reliable data than just comparing your actual sales to expected sales and writing off the difference as "piracy".

I should add that this method could also be used maliciously, which I'm glad the company didn't do. It's one thing to have your game render itself unplayable if it's pirated (lots of games do it; some of the methods are pretty amusing too). It's entirely another to deliberately attack someone's system.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DancingMachine posted:

Assuming 0% of piracy represents lost sales is equally ridiculous as assuming 100% does. The number is clearly in between 0 and 100. Denying the fact that eliminating piracy would increase revenue by a measurable amount is just nonsense.
I don't think anyone's denying that, we're just arguing that the debate is ridiculous when framed as such. You can't eliminate piracy without substantially injuring the playability of the game, which directly and measurably impacts the customers that DO pay. "If we can cut piracy by 5%" is equally ridiculous, since now you're taking 5% of what's already an imaginary, undefined quantity.

It's a bunch of vague hand-waving designed to justify invasive DRM, "because even if it's only somewhat effective and we can just cut piracy by 5%...", with no numerical backing to justify the action. It's feel-good logic that ignores the substantial negative impact of DRM, because hey, if we're making up numbers for how many sales this will save us, why not make up numbers for the negative side too?

In short: Harumph. I'll believe the 5% malarky when I see actual, solid data demonstrating pirates that represented 5% of your pirated copies being verifiably converted to paying customers by virtue of DRM. Until I see that data, the only solid data on the table is the negative impact invasive DRM has on paying consumers, and the substantial damage that the ensuing media poo poo storm causes. So for me, that takes precedence / I'm only willing to consider trivial DRM that does nothing but keep honest people honest.

EDIT: I'm not even convinced by the "no piracy for the first few weeks" argument. I don't buy that you're converting a useful fraction of pirates, so much as those pirates are just waiting 2 weeks to play your game.

EDIT2: I can't take anything I post seriously with that drat derpy crab over there. :3:

EDIT3: VV You can't. I realize this is an impossible problem to analyze. That's why dramatic measures are so frustrating to see - you're destroying the experience of a substantial fraction of your paying users on sheer gut instinct that it'll improve your sales. There is zero basis in fact for those measures, and plenty of basis in fact for measures to the contrary.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2013

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Shalinor posted:

In short: Harumph. I'll believe the 5% malarky when I see actual, solid data demonstrating pirates that represented 5% of your pirated copies being verifiably converted to paying customers by virtue of DRM. Until I see that data, the only solid data on the table is the negative impact invasive DRM has on paying consumers, and the substantial damage that the ensuing media poo poo storm causes. So for me, that takes precedence / I'm only willing to consider trivial DRM that does nothing but keep honest people honest.

How exactly would you gather "actual, solid data demonstrating" the magnitude of economic impact of piracy? Survey pirates and ask how many would pay if they couldn't pirate the game? The only perfect experiment would be to release a game with perfect unbreakable DRM and, in a parallel universe, release the same game at the same time with no DRM, and measure the difference in revenue. Sometimes perfect data is impossible to achieve, and you have to do estimates and make the best business decisions you can anyway. It seems to me that if you're building a single-player (or peer-to-peer) experience, some moderate level of speed-bump DRM (like Steam's) is a good business decision. The degree to which this is true is somewhat scaled by how "big" your game and company is. An even better business decision is to build a game for which piracy is irrelevant (MMOs, farmville, Clash of Clans, etc).

It all makes me very sad because the kinds of games I like (big budget PC sandbox and strategy games) are the ones most vulnerable to piracy, and the ones with the least investment dollars flowing towards them.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

You're exactly right that a number between 0% and 100% is a wrong assumption because the percentage is negative. The Swiss Government commissioned a study showing the obvious:
1) More then a third of Swiss citizens over 15 download music, movies and games without paying for them.
2) The percentage of disposable income spent on consumption in this area remains constant. However, shifts are observed within that budget.
3) This frees up a portion of their budgets, and the released portion is invested in concerts, theatre visits and merchandising.

Here's a quick blurb in english:
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/03/swiss-govt-study-downloadin.html

The original Swiss Government Media Release (chrome will translate this for you):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/ejpd/de/home/dokumentation/mi/2011/2011-11-30.html

And the link to the study from the Swiss Federal Government site (if you can read German):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-d.pdf

Or French:
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-f.pdf

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Speaking of producers not treating consumers well... origin. I just decided that I was going to give SimCity a shot now that it's apparently stable, but my IP address is polish, so for some reason I can only buy the game in polish or russian. Even Amazon won't sell me the digital version because I'm not in the US.

I'm not advocating pirating SimCity nor do I plan to do it myself, but when a company makes a product unavailable for someone who *wants* to pay for it, I think piracy may be justified.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
That doesn’t even pass the sniff test. The conclusions they draw from the data do not follow (trivial correlation/causation fallacy), the idea that all people have a completely fixed entertainment budget is nonsense, and none of it applies to games anyway. This is one of those issues that people get emotionally invested in justifying.
A cold analytical approach tells you that game publishers are behaving rationally, even if that’s not to the benefit of game consumers (especially core game consumers). If all existing major publishers were behaving irrationally, some other publisher would be dominating the industry by now. Guys like Paradox and CDProjekt have carved out a nice niche and are doing fine (still making most of their money on Steam though, btw), but they’re not exactly a threat to any of the big kids.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shalinor posted:

This, and also, the notion that Freemium prevents piracy is kind of adorable. The pirates just crack your content locks, after you've politely given them a legal copy.

The only reason there aren't "we need IAP DRM and online verification!" memes yet is because few bother with the (costly) metrics it would take to track IAP piracy. Well, that, and because most F2P is still mobile, and the big publishers all imagine Android as a pirate's den already. Give it a few years, and suits will be making GBS threads a brick over that too.

The whole debate is a red herring. "If we can convert even 5% of those pirates!" makes a bunch of assumptions as to the nature of piracy that have never been backed up with hard data. Most experience seems to indicate that that 90% is largely hoarding behavior, not play behavior, and that the remaining percent is Russia/China. Converting Russia/China can't be done with DRM or anything like it, you have to address the income inequality and slanted nature of their markets, localize for those countries despite known piracy, and so on - but that's hard and risky, so few bother, instead continuing to bang on the "convert pirates!" angle.

EDIT: VV that's my approach. It sucks, but eh, all those pirated copies of Jones On Fire at least add to my "kitties saved" metric :3:

I dont think freemium is only or even primarily a mobile thing.
In china it has been used very successfully for years, in conjunction with games being always online, to effectively battle piracy / release games with actual revenue in that country.

In Russia it's not really income inequality that you fight so much as convenience and little to no protection for copyright holders.
If income inequality was the problem then the sales in the USA, which has measurably worse income inequality, would have an even bigger piracy problem than Russia.

But hey the approaches in those countries work, and work well enough that AAA studios still release Russian language versions of games there, even with how big of a pain in the rear end it is.
The market in Russia is how it is, changing your product to work in that market is a lot easier / possible than changing the market to work for an unchanged product.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The company I work for got their start localizing for a country that had no history of paying for software. I don't know how they did it, but somehow they figured out how to get a eastern bloc country to pay premium prices for premium games.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm not advocating pirating SimCity nor do I plan to do it myself, but when a company makes a product unavailable for someone who *wants* to pay for it, I think piracy may be justified.

I think these two statements are related. A lot of piracy in these countries can easily be explained as availability issues; company A sees the piracy rates there and says "oh well there's no point localizing and distributing there because they'll just steal it", so then the people that want to play the game HAVE to steal it because they literally cannot obtain it legally.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people playing pirated games in the Eastern Bloc and other high piracy areas actually do pay for them, but they buy them from bootleggers since the actual publishers won't sell legitimate copies there. It still gets counted as "piracy", even though the player actually did "buy" the game.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
The problem with the piracy debate is that no one knows if it has any real effect on sales at all, so it's all unsubstantiated opinion from all sides. Although legally the content distributors have the high ground since they can argue that regardless of the existence or absence of any impact on sales, acquiring a paid product for free over illegal channels is (obviously) illegal.

DancingMachine posted:

A cold analytical approach tells you that game publishers are behaving rationally, even if that’s not to the benefit of game consumers (especially core game consumers). If all existing major publishers were behaving irrationally, some other publisher would be dominating the industry by now. Guys like Paradox and CDProjekt have carved out a nice niche and are doing fine (still making most of their money on Steam though, btw), but they’re not exactly a threat to any of the big kids.

And that's the best part. Everyone is so wrapped up in morally or logically trying to justify or deny piracy that they don't realize that what they think doesn't really matter. The opinions that matter are from the guys in suits, who have the power to demand DRM or evaluate risk and fund or deny games accordingly. And the power to lobby congress.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
A few of my industry friends are posting this on Facebook, it's quite good:

"51 Things every game student should know"
http://k0k0k0.wordpress.com/51-things-every-game-student-should-know/

Some parts I disagree with but some made me laugh out loud and it's solid for the most part.

These have probably been posted in this thread before, but I always link people to them:

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

Extra Credits - So You want to be a Game Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvWMdWhFCc

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

the idea that all people have a completely fixed entertainment budget is nonsense, and none of it applies to games anyway.

What? Why?
Obviously not all people have a fixed entertainment budgets but I think it is safe to say that the vast majority do, especially those who play non-freemium games.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Magic posted:

A few of my industry friends are posting this on Facebook, it's quite good:

"51 Things every game student should know"
http://k0k0k0.wordpress.com/51-things-every-game-student-should-know/

That was great, though super targeted towards artists (understandable, given her previous jobs). I like her writing style - and I also liked this line.

quote:

You can distract them from any awkward moments with shiny work!*
* This does work. “I’ve brought my sketchbooks, would you like to see them?” is like baubles to kittens."

Truth. I brought an iPad in to an interview with a demo of the game prototype I was working on. They were distracted from my crippling awkwardness and social anxiety by the sheen of my tablet.
Got the job.
(To be fair to myself, I'm actually very personable and weird in a way that's manageable in an office environment.)

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2013

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

zolthorg posted:

You're exactly right that a number between 0% and 100% is a wrong assumption because the percentage is negative. The Swiss Government commissioned a study showing the obvious:
1) More then a third of Swiss citizens over 15 download music, movies and games without paying for them.
2) The percentage of disposable income spent on consumption in this area remains constant. However, shifts are observed within that budget.
3) This frees up a portion of their budgets, and the released portion is invested in concerts, theatre visits and merchandising.

Here's a quick blurb in english:
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/03/swiss-govt-study-downloadin.html

The original Swiss Government Media Release (chrome will translate this for you):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/ejpd/de/home/dokumentation/mi/2011/2011-11-30.html

And the link to the study from the Swiss Federal Government site (if you can read German):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-d.pdf

Or French:
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-f.pdf
So people pirating games leads to higher attendance at Video Games Live which helps the people who created the pirated games due to ??? It's great that piracy in the music business helps artists because they have other ways of earning money on their music. That isn't exactly applicable in games, so I don't see how the argument applies.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

quote:

Developers don’t say “mobs”.

Yes we do =(

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

mastermind2004 posted:

So people pirating games leads to higher attendance at Video Games Live which helps the people who created the pirated games due to ??? It's great that piracy in the music business helps artists because they have other ways of earning money on their music. That isn't exactly applicable in games, so I don't see how the argument applies.

I thought our role as video game professionals was to promote all forms of media entertainment, even at the expense of our own company's well being? I must have gone to the wrong panel at Pax East. Seriously though, the study you're quoting above, and the idea that the data it presents somehow justifies piracy in gaming is super frustrating and one I see often. It is also why I summarily ignore most conversations around why piracy could be a good thing, most of the people supporting this view either have 0 data (but lots of loud opinion and conjecture) or a random, unrelated study, conducted with a goal in mind that isn't "does piracy hurt the industry you're stealing from?".

This study was conducted to identify whether or not the government should tighten regulation around piracy. The reason they conducted this study was to figure out if there was more money on the table that they weren't collecting as a result of piracy, which is why they examined the impact on the overall entertainment budget.

Basically what this post says is:

"Guys, piracy is OK because the Swiss government spent a few million dollars to figure out that if people don't spend money on one thing, THEY ARE GOING TO SPEND IT ON SOMETHING ELSE! Piracy is awesome woohoo!".

For me, this lack of understanding around the data you're trying to present completely invalidates any further statement you might make about the merits of piracy.

Edit: I'm not a developer, but most of the ones I've worked with (especially those that play MMOs) say Mobs, they also say Creeps, Inc!, Aggro, and Pathing.

AmazonTony fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 30, 2013

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It's clear that game developers should be putting on theatre productions to make sure they get those "lost" dollars from the fixed budget. I know I look forward to the day I can go and see Valve presents Hamlet with some of the exactly £132.89 I spend every month on entertainment.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Oh you must work with Aaron then. Or maybe you are Aaron...

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Oh you must work with Aaron then. Or maybe you are Aaron...

Everybody loves Linde.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

devilmouse posted:

Yes we do =(

Yeah, seriously that's a very confusing one. There are a few in there that don't make much sense to me - the Polycount one is sort of spot on, but including lesser versions of your high-poly model to show that you can do LOD seems like one of the ways of going above and beyond.

I do wish that there was a bigger emphasis on taking feedback - that's seriously the biggest issue new people have when coming in. gently caress, I'm still not great at it relative to some of my mentors.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

devilmouse posted:

Yes we do =(

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about. We say "mobs" all the time. I've never heard anyone (outside of the Quake mod scene) refer to mobs or enemies as "AI" or "bots". (And frankly it's such a minor and workplace specific thing that I don't know that it belongs on a list of things every game student should know.)

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think these two statements are related. A lot of piracy in these countries can easily be explained as availability issues; company A sees the piracy rates there and says "oh well there's no point localizing and distributing there because they'll just steal it", so then the people that want to play the game HAVE to steal it because they literally cannot obtain it legally.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people playing pirated games in the Eastern Bloc and other high piracy areas actually do pay for them, but they buy them from bootleggers since the actual publishers won't sell legitimate copies there. It still gets counted as "piracy", even though the player actually did "buy" the game.

Related to that, I've to say that localizing for what are essentially niche markets, and paying attention to them pays off in dividends, and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

People love being able to buy games in their native language (or with subtitles if it's got VO because localized VO is rear end no matter what language it's from or to), and since most folks don't do that you end up having customers who are happy before they even play your game and little competition in that market as well.

blizzard with korea and bioware with poland are two examples I can think off the top of my head.
also a bonus with doing stuff in poland is working with CDProjekt is fun, I love their marketing ... most of the time.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

emoticon posted:

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about. We say "mobs" all the time. I've never heard anyone (outside of the Quake mod scene) refer to mobs or enemies as "AI" or "bots". (And frankly it's such a minor and workplace specific thing that I don't know that it belongs on a list of things every game student should know.)

I've definitely heard "AI" and "Bots" but mostly from the F2P guys when referring to non-paying users as "Free AI". In all of these cases the connotation has been positive, because they are talking about ways to make sure everyone playing is having fun so that your "free AI" keeps playing, thus making the experience more fun for the paying players.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Shalinor posted:

The whole debate is a red herring. "If we can convert even 5% of those pirates!" makes a bunch of assumptions as to the nature of piracy that have never been backed up with hard data. Most experience seems to indicate that that 90% is largely hoarding behavior, not play behavior, and that the remaining percent is Russia/China.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this. For Hook Champ (our first game), we had pretty good metrics around piracy. We found a huge percentage of pirates played for like one minute or so. Some literally just opened the game up, presumably to see if it worked, then never bothered again. People are randomly buying games en masse (hacked gift cards? bored people?), running them through an ez-one-button protection remover, and uploading them to sites where people just kind of blindly and joylessly download 99 cent games for free. I'm sure there are some people actually seeking out a game they want and pirating it, but also sure they're in the minority for iOS piracy.

"Hoarding behavior" is a good way to describe this. Once we figured this out, we pretty much stopped caring about piracy at all. I doubt it's quite the same extreme ratio on PC, when you're dealing with $60, really high profile games, but can attest to this on iOS.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Huh. Because I was the nominator for Black Annex in this IndiesCrashE3 thing, and it looks like it'll easily stay in the top 10 at least - I guess I'm going to E3. My sister threatened to kill me when I said the hotel was too expensive / might not use the pass.

... and that's right when my prototype for Next Game is set to be done / right when I was going to announce, so now, I can announce our next game AND use that to set up press meetings about the game/kickstarter at the ensuing E3. So IndiesCrashE3 is effectively sending two indies with games, how cool is that. I just need to advance my plans by a week, to make sure the trailer's done earlier.

So! Who else is going to E3?
EDIT: (it could still fall out of the top 10, the contest runs until the 15th, but the current vote rate's pretty good)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 1, 2013

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

Kepa posted:

"Hoarding behavior" is a good way to describe this. Once we figured this out, we pretty much stopped caring about piracy at all. I doubt it's quite the same extreme ratio on PC, when you're dealing with $60, really high profile games, but can attest to this on iOS.

This is different for freemium iOS games in my experience. In those cases, a surprisingly large number of people will use hacks/cheats to get premium currency. Stopping the easiest hacks - the ones that involve following the instructions in a 30 second youtube video and don't require jailbreaking - can have a noticeable effect on IAP sales.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Huh. Because I was the nominator for Black Annex in this IndiesCrashE3 thing, and it looks like it'll easily stay in the top 10 at least - I guess I'm going to E3. My sister threatened to kill me when I said the hotel was too expensive / might not use the pass.

... and that's right when my prototype for Next Game is set to be done / right when I was going to announce, so now, I can announce our next game AND use that to set up press meetings about the game/kickstarter at the ensuing E3. So IndiesCrashE3 is effectively sending two indies with games, how cool is that. I just need to advance my plans by a week, to make sure the trailer's done earlier.

EDIT: (it could still fall out of the top 10, the contest runs until the 15th, but the current vote rate's pretty good)

I'll be there, first few rounds are on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I might be there as this will be the first time out of the 6 or so times I've gone that I'll actually have stuff showing on the floor. It'll come down to when my kid is born and whether or not I want to throw down for travel...