Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Coolodile posted:

The new Horde system seems better than the one from Divine Wind. Or at least with the colonization requirement gone you probably won't see Austria snaking their way to the Pacific.

There's several fundamental changes with the difference between the time periods that should help prevent that anyway, most notably that rather than two big hordes (Timurids and Golden Horde) you have quite a few smaller hordes. Remnant Golden Horde and its three splitoffs, possibly four if Astrakhan secedes, though arguably Crimea shouldn't be a horde, the massively-reduced Timurids and the far larger White Sheep and Black Sheep Turkmen states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Torabi posted:

Playing for a lot of Hearts of Iron 3 lately with a friend. First time I actually managed to play a paradox game without getting my rear end handed to me. despite the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing, but it works so that's good at least.
The United States has yet to invade me despite the fact that the original date for d-day has passed. (probably because my friend technically started World War Two and me playing Germany didn't) So I'm thinking about invading the UK but trying to figure out how to use the landing craft will most likely drive me insane which is why I haven't done anything. While my friend playing the Soviet Union is taking over the the middle East.

Edit:
Please ignore any grammatical errors and stuff like that. I'm testing out Google Voice along with the new something awful app so it's bound to be a bit dodgy.

The best way to do invasions imo is use some paratroopers to capture an undefended coastal province and then ship the army over on transports using the invasion mission. Invading troops get a pretty big penalty in combat if being launched from a transport but since the paratroopers have already done the fighting, you troops just take a day or two to disembark in good order.

If your confusion stems from actually getting the dudes on the boat, have your ships (only transports or LCs can hold troops) docked in a province and then move your army to said province. In my experience one division fits nicely on one transport but due to weight not being listed in the production screen, a division of 5 super heavy tank brigades may not be transportable so don't build those (not like you'd have the IC to pump out more than like 3 of those at a time). I've never had an issue wrt to weight/transports but then again I rarely do large naval invasions when I play. Once they're in the same province when you select a division a small button at the top of the unit bar on the left should light up displaying a boat and a green arrow, click it to load the troops.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Baronjutter posted:

Couldn't you just rip out the population demand stuff from all the other crap then? Or is it all too integrated?
That's what NNM is.

Coolodile posted:

The new Horde system seems better than the one from Divine Wind. Or at least with the colonization requirement gone you probably won't see Austria snaking their way to the Pacific.
They still have such a hard time grasping that hordes are not marauding bands of warriors out of some fairy tale, they're entire civilizations on the move. I still have little faith at this point that The Old Gods is going to get migrations right.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

That's what NNM is.

They still have such a hard time grasping that hordes are not marauding bands of warriors out of some fairy tale, they're entire civilizations on the move. I still have little faith at this point that The Old Gods is going to get migrations right.
NNM doesn't have the economy stuff though.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

That's what NNM is.

NNM doesn't have the economy or immigration tweaks, though.

e: f;b

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Liberia didn't formalize its constitution and legal status as something other than a US colony until 1847, and the game starts in 1836.

That still seems a little wrong, especially since they're COMPLETELY uncivilized, i.e. zero reforms selected and 0% progress. What's really funny though is that Liberia starts as a democracy, but since uncivs can't pass any political reforms, they get elections in which nobody can vote :shepface:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So I uh, ran into an interesting bug playing the NNM mod.

The Crimean war had triggered, pitching Russia against a bunch of European powers.

At the same time, a crisis war set off and eventually concluded.

Problem being, some of those European powers (Prussia, France) peaced out due to this but are still "at war" with Russia, although there's no longer any alliance leader and even tag switching doesn't allow anyone to actually make peace.

Not quite sure how I'm supposed to revolve this, editing the save game I've found the war in question but I can only find the "history" where the countries in question joined the war. Not sure where I find the active participants. Any ideas?

e: Managed to resolve it by removing prussia and france as defenders from the save file.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 30, 2013

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I think there are some parts of the NNM that have been superseded by the crisis system. Like the Congress of Berlin event, which unceremoniously frees all of the Balkan states (usually). That said, I actually think crises in areas such as the Balkans should happen more often - perhaps tied to country ranking, so if a low ranked country holds non-core provinces, it goes very crisis happy. I might be in a minority here.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
How do you deal with politics, rebels and reforms in HoD?

I had a game with the USA that was going mighty fine but in the 1890s, I had an anarchist-liberal revolt, the commies joind in and all my armies dissolved.
Then Mexico decided it was time to take back some of their cores and a bourgeois dictatorship happened, two months later it was followed by a proletariat Dictatorship and then reactionaries started to revolt too. At that point, I threw the towel.

How do you stop that stuff from happening ?

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

I guess China just westernised :stare:

But. Maybe someone can explain what I'm doing wrong here. All this immigration is nice and all, but not when they're all unemployed.

There's supposedly plenty of space in my RGOs. The number of farmers employed by this one has been decreasing lately, it was at 19% full at best. How do I get these leeches to start working?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Playing a game of HoD, with NNM (in case that matters), and Guyana has become completely independent of the UK. Me being Gran Colombia, I of course want to liberate these poor people since I have a core on one of their provinces. Problem is, I don't get a casus belli. Anyone have an idea as to why that is? Is it because they only have a single state*, and I don't have cores on all their provinces?

(*or part of one even, since the Dutch and the French have some of it as well.)

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 30, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm glorious communist France in 1890. Where do I go from here?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Spread the will of the proletariat to the rest of the world, by the sword if necessary :hist101:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

That still seems a little wrong, especially since they're COMPLETELY uncivilized, i.e. zero reforms selected and 0% progress. What's really funny though is that Liberia starts as a democracy, but since uncivs can't pass any political reforms, they get elections in which nobody can vote :shepface:

Well, Liberia didn't actually have an election of any sort until 1847, despite being founded to be a democracy, so a democracy with no elections might not be that far off.

You might want to try loading Liberia up in the 1861 scenario, it's quite a bit further along there.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Take the Rheinland and reverse-revenge Prussia :getin:

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So I'm glorious communist France in 1890. Where do I go from here?

Have you spread the light of Communism to the rest of Western Europe? If not, get cracking.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

RagnarokAngel posted:

Spread the will of the proletariat to the rest of the world, by the sword if necessary :hist101:

SpaceViking posted:

Have you spread the light of Communism to the rest of Western Europe? If not, get cracking.

These are the only acceptable answers here.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Jabu posted:

There's supposedly plenty of space in my RGOs. The number of farmers employed by this one has been decreasing lately, it was at 19% full at best. How do I get these leeches to start working?

RGOs will lay off workers if their good is being overproduced, as is often the case in the late game with how high RGO productivity gets.

The market only has room for so much beef, and the % of people farming it takes to hit that limit goes down over time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Paradox published game came out today, and it looks amazing. Or at least the trailer is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxxnq5YAVHw

I'll probably pick it up on Steam when I get home from work today. Looks like it has actual cross platform play, so you can play the game on your desktop, save and quit, and then resume right from your tablet. Has co-op too, which if I can find someone else to buy the game I'd love to try out.

Seriously, watch that trailer it is the best thing Paradox Interactive has ever done.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Bought game solely because the trailer is amazing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was going to download the New Nations Mod and try it out, but then I saw it added 150 tags and my face melted. Given how much new tags slow down Paradox titles, doesn't this slow the game to a craaaaaawl? It already seems slow enough past about 1880 or so.

Sheep posted:

Bought game solely because the trailer is amazing.

It doesn't look like the sort of game I'd normally be interested in, but yeah... that trailer very nearly (and still may) sold me on it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fintilgin posted:

I was going to download the New Nations Mod and try it out, but then I saw it added 150 tags and my face melted. Given how much new tags slow down Paradox titles, doesn't this slow the game to a craaaaaawl? It already seems slow enough past about 1880 or so.

It doesn't really, not anymore. I think tags have stopped causing real slowdowns since Divine Wind.

PDM does cause considerable slowdown in the game though, but that's due to all the new goods and the troop sizes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

Like ZearothK says, it doesn't really cause any slowdown. (at least from what I've noticed.) The real issue in Victoria II are calculations to do with goods, pops and troops as far as I can tell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can say I've absolutely noticed NNM goes slower than vanilla, but not much slower. It's maybe a 20-25% decrease.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

I thought it was just me that noticed a slowdown. I thought I was going crazy because 1. it's just extra tags and 2. AHD-NNM didn't seem to come with a slow-down.

And besides, what NNM really needs is an "all possible tags released" mod-mod.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it goes!

mmtt
May 8, 2009

SeaTard posted:

A Paradox published game came out today, and it looks amazing. Or at least the trailer is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxxnq5YAVHw

Seriously, watch that trailer it is the best thing Paradox Interactive has ever done.

Ship gets boater in the release trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab9e764D7cI

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm quite proud of the minimod I just made.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there some trick to creating nations?

I tried to make http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?492541-Mod-Afrique-Tribal work but it always crashes on the flag loading part.
The validator finds nothing, and it's only 71 new tags.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Riso posted:

Is there some trick to creating nations?

I tried to make http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?492541-Mod-Afrique-Tribal work but it always crashes on the flag loading part.
The validator finds nothing, and it's only 71 new tags.

RiSo, the flag files are causing crashes because the modders mispelled some of the flags (like TAG_facist rather than TAG_fascist), it's a known problem with that mod.

The reason why NNM is somewhat slower than vanilla is because it has more active nations in Africa, so it has more goods, POPs and armies to calculate at the start. In the 20th century (when the whole map is colonized) it runs at pretty much the same speed as vanilla.

Roboto, I love you, now upload it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Misspelt flags crash the game?

What the gently caress.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Noreaus posted:

I think there are some parts of the NNM that have been superseded by the crisis system. Like the Congress of Berlin event, which unceremoniously frees all of the Balkan states (usually). That said, I actually think crises in areas such as the Balkans should happen more often - perhaps tied to country ranking, so if a low ranked country holds non-core provinces, it goes very crisis happy. I might be in a minority here.

I'd really like to see crises make more sense in general - more logic in who's backing whom, more flavor events related to crises, and a real Great War system that works like you'd expect. I'm optimistic that the next couple of patches will improve things a lot.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
All right, testing shows it clearly is not the flags. The game is not that broken.

I just want African nations without all the other junk in NNF.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NNF does add some cool stuff though, especially the "dictatorship thaw" events that happen when you're a dictatorship and then pass a voting reform. Makes it a hell of a lot easier than just waiting for Jacobin rebels.

I do kinda hate that Transvaal/Oranje aren't available in the 1836 scenario for NNM though. :(

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So what do you do to get the fascists to revolt in vanilla? I've only ever had Jacobins and occasionally Communists revolt on me, and every LP I've read on these forums ends with goons shrieking at the OP to make the country as leftist as possible, so I'm kind of interested in seeing the other side of things, but as far as I can tell Fascists just kind of sit there and do nothing after getting like 8% of the upper house. I've never once had them rebel on me and the only time I've ever seen the AI fall to a fascist dictatorship was in my Persia game that I managed to finish, where New Zealand, of all places, turned Fascist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You need to have pretty high amounts of revanchism to get fascists riled up. If you've got all your cores in your control, you won't see many fascists.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm quite proud of the minimod I just made.

:golfclap: This is fantastic.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Hey Zearoth, does A Srb Divided have any music changes? Because you really do need new menu music.

The Narrator posted:

Take the Rheinland and reverse-revenge Prussia :getin:
Wasn't revanchism a wholly French concept?

So I'm thinking about doing a pseudo-Rice and Salt mod just to see how the colonization of Europe would play out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Hey Zearoth, does A Srb Divided have any music changes? Because you really do need new menu music.

This has to be added to the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Rice and Salt already exists http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?636879-The-Age-of-Great-Progress

• Locked thread