Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Riiseli posted:

It does. We once went through the bladder test w/ Naru and the only result we got was that yes she indeed had bacteria in her urine. It's the only case of UTI my girls have ever had, but was a tough one to beat as none of the samples grew in agar, which was baffling to say the least. The bacteria were clearly visible under a microscope in the fresh sample as were the symptoms, but the antibiotic selection was a process of trial and error. The third one (enrofloxacin) did the trick (the second had no effect and the first one worked for a while). Naru didn't require a sedation when they drew the sample, but she's not Psyche. I don't think we would've done the bladder sample, but as the first one hadn't grown I was worried about a possible pyometra and took her in for an ultrasound to make sure. Her uterus was fine, but since the equipment was there we decided to get the best possible urine sample, which was almost no use...

Yeah, I'm worried that they just won't be able to tell what's causing the infection, even if they localize it. We've already had two bad experiences with antibiotics and I really don't want to just keep throwing them at her. Plus, any medical setbacks are also setbacks in her training. We're probably going to move in a year and I have no idea if I'll be able to find a good trainer wherever we end up, so I want to get a lot done now.

I really wish she didn't need the sedation. I know it'll be much less traumatic for her this way and that the risk is low enough to make this an option, but I can't help worrying. She seems completely fine too, which just makes it more frustrating, cuz so far 'fixing' it has just made things worse, from a purely visual standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shoelaces moving while I tie my shoes are like the instant kitten switch for Sadie. It is pretty amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1XS68Efu8&hd=1

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sadie is a very pretty kitty. :3: She's got some impressive gnashers on her too.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Sadie has the best whiskers. :3:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Goonettes spotted on My Cat From Hell show last night. For a couple of seconds the SA page was shown on a monitor with one of the cats looking at the screen. :)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Sten Freak posted:

Goonettes spotted on My Cat From Hell show last night. For a couple of seconds the SA page was shown on a monitor with one of the cats looking at the screen. :)

Didn't someone here recently mention they were on that show? They ended up finding the cat a new home, I think she said.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I've been screwing around with random tricks to teach Tycho, here's his latest:

Not sure why I taught him that, other than it's pretty adorable.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Shifty Pony posted:

Shoelaces moving while I tie my shoes are like the instant kitten switch for Sadie. It is pretty amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1XS68Efu8&hd=1

Dem eyebrows :kimchi: Sadie is so striking.

Golden-i posted:

I've been screwing around with random tricks to teach Tycho, here's his latest:

Not sure why I taught him that, other than it's pretty adorable.

Cute gif, and cute trick!

e: Are herder puppies typically drama queens? Kalli has been tethered for a couple of hours (when she dashes to the other side of the room because 'lol gotta pee NOW' I can't catch her in time, so we've had more accidents than I'd like) and when I first put it on her she was flailing and rolling and thrashing like a crocodile. When she went out in the yard, she tried to ping away to chew the world (bin, hose, yard brush, plant) as usual and couldn't and was very angry about it.

Angry, dramatic fluffy puppies are hilarious.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 28, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know about all herding puppies, but Vecna certainly was.

The Belgian Shepherd Dog World Championships start this week! Workingdog.eu is hosting a live stream of the IPO and Mondio trials.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wiener Dog Race report:

A great experience, with clear support from the big names in the wiener industry:

There was something for everyone, whether you were looking for romance:

High fashion:

Comedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvMCCZBuX8

Or a more Family-friendly air:

Of course we all know what really matters and that is crowning a wiener the winner, along with giving them a huge-rear end trophy and some money:

Lanes are kind of merely a formality left over from the older more gentleman-like days of yore. Now contact is unavoidable.

The first quarter finals...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaG2ZPrBlZQ

Drama on the track!

A tense standoff ensued:

But all was well. Lots of money was raised for vision screening and youth diabetes care, and the bake-off proceeds went to benefit the people of West, Tx.

Even a brony made an appearance.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 28, 2013

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Angry, dramatic fluffy puppies are hilarious.
Angry, dramatic non-fluffy puppies however get to go to the vet's for a bandage change. Sukka is a little monster princess about having his paw done. I was on my own for the weekend, but I thought I could change the bandage as per the vet's instructions. Cue two hours of wrestling a screaming, growling, writhing puppy with some help from my neighbor. Didn't see that coming, because Sukka's usually really easy to handle and I have no problems with trimming his nails or such. Causing a little pain or discomfort was another matter entirely it seems.

Long story short, he ended up reaching the new bandage in spite of the cone and to minimize everyone's stress, I took him to the e-vet on Sunday morning to have the (now infected) nail cleaned and packaged again. I laughed a bit when I heard Sukka giving the vet & vet tech the same show he put on for me the night before - only at the vet's he was already sedated and they were only trying to put in an i.v.

Edit. Picture didn't attach. Here is Sukka-Xena the Warrior Princess waking up from his most recent slumber:
Edit2: And now it's there. God drat it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 29, 2013

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I came to work this morning to find feathers all over the place, no chickens and two very satisfied looking dogs wagging their tails and begging for pets. One of them was this huge intact bully type thing with shittily cropped ears and the other was a mutty scruffdog with a blue eye. Both very sweet and looked healthy and well cared for, but I couldn't have them running about and terrorizing my boss's chickens (I didn't see any blood, so there's probably a very bald and very angry hen in a tree somewhere), so I had to call animal control. :mad: I hate doing that since it's pretty much a guaranteed death sentence if their owners don't turn up, but the scruffdog probably has a good chance. He was adorable. I put notices up on Craiglist for the owners to call AC.

This is like the fourth time in a year and a half that I've had to call AC out here. People need to hang onto their pets, goddammit!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Ugh, I would have done the same thing, that's just frustrating.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

That reminds me, I am starting to get frustrated with the neighbors and their dog. So far it's been pretty great in that they seem to let their dane outside really early in the morning and then let him out in the evening for not long, so Psyche has only seen this dog a few dozen times in like a year.

When the dog is out though, he roams free, usually unsupervised. He has been pooping in our yard (it's easy to tell because the piles are as big as my dog) and we think has gotten in our garbage once or twice. He seems to have been out a little more lately, probably due to the nice weather, and Psyche has been seeing him through the blinds and freaking the gently caress out.

I don't think that anyone should have to rearrange their life to accomodate my dog's problems, but on the other hand, it's our yard and if they would just keep the dog to theirs, she wouldn't see him out the window.

I doubt saying anything would make a difference, people just don't care. I'm not even sure who actually lives there, people are in and out all the time (which I totally use to my advantage for Psyche to practice good behavior). And I do practice her seeing the dogs out the window, it's just hard with this one cuz he pops up randomly and is really close (one time he was on our drat porch).

On the funny side, I think the dane is afraid of Psyche. He was all 'wtf' the one time they saw each other outside from waaaaaay across the yard and she told him off for existing (she pulled herself together after a minute). I do plan to practice with her if she sees him outside, since he doesn't seem inclined to come over. I will not go in their yard if they are home and I never let her leave any presents for them. I dunno, it's just another thing in the continuing saga of doggie drama.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I came to work this morning to find feathers all over the place, no chickens and two very satisfied looking dogs wagging their tails and begging for pets. One of them was this huge intact bully type thing with shittily cropped ears and the other was a mutty scruffdog with a blue eye. Both very sweet and looked healthy and well cared for, but I couldn't have them running about and terrorizing my boss's chickens (I didn't see any blood, so there's probably a very bald and very angry hen in a tree somewhere), so I had to call animal control. :mad: I hate doing that since it's pretty much a guaranteed death sentence if their owners don't turn up, but the scruffdog probably has a good chance. He was adorable. I put notices up on Craiglist for the owners to call AC.

This is like the fourth time in a year and a half that I've had to call AC out here. People need to hang onto their pets, goddammit!

That's how I got Pistol, he kept eating chickens on his old owner's farm so they gave him the boot.

Proof that it's possible to find suckers to take in chicken-eating dawgs. :3:

Neighbordogs are always the worst dogs. My neighbors let their Bassett hound and their pit mix sit on their patio and BAROOOO and BARKBARKBARK all day, which means I can't hang out outside with my pooches without starting a barking war. I'm going to cite them as a reason why I'm moving out on my 30 days notice because honestly they're a big reason I hate my current place. I'd lodge a complaint now but I never paid my $500 pet deposit for Pistol so I'm trying to fly under the radar :ssh:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That's how I got Pistol, he kept eating chickens on his old owner's farm so they gave him the boot.

Proof that it's possible to find suckers to take in chicken-eating dawgs. :3:

I have good news! All the girls are accounted for, so I'm calling AC back to let them know they're not chicken-eaters, just chicken-chasers. Hopefully it'll improve their chances.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Neighbordogs are always the worst dogs.

Not always true! My neighbours have a ~6 month old jrt pup, who is very social (if barky) and was very good when he met Kalli in my yard. We're going to have a playdate tomorrow. :3:

Rixatrix posted:

Angry, dramatic non-fluffy puppies however get to go to the vet's for a bandage change. Sukka is a little monster princess about having his paw done. I was on my own for the weekend, but I thought I could change the bandage as per the vet's instructions. Cue two hours of wrestling a screaming, growling, writhing puppy with some help from my neighbor. Didn't see that coming, because Sukka's usually really easy to handle and I have no problems with trimming his nails or such. Causing a little pain or discomfort was another matter entirely it seems.

Long story short, he ended up reaching the new bandage in spite of the cone and to minimize everyone's stress, I took him to the e-vet on Sunday morning to have the (now infected) nail cleaned and packaged again. I laughed a bit when I heard Sukka giving the vet & vet tech the same show he put on for me the night before - only at the vet's he was already sedated and they were only trying to put in an i.v.

Edit. Picture didn't attach. Here is Sukka-Xena the Warrior Princess waking up from his most recent slumber:
Edit2: And now it's there. God drat it.

Oh wow :stare: I hope Sukka is okay again soon. I thought terriers were dramatic, but herders are just as bad if not worse.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I have good news! All the girls are accounted for, so I'm calling AC back to let them know they're not chicken-eaters, just chicken-chasers. Hopefully it'll improve their chances.

Toss up an ad on craigslist or something too so the owners actually try AC.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Toss up an ad on craigslist or something too so the owners actually try AC.

Yeah, I did that right after I first called AC this morning. It's part of my routine.

Ninjaedit: It's really sad that I have an AC routine.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You are certainly taking a much more conscientious approach than my family did when two chows and a mutt got into our goat pen when I was a teenager. In our defense the dogs killed four goats and were chasing the rest before we could get over there and there really wasn't any other options besides the shotgun.

Sucked so bad. We had bottle fed one of the kids and she was an absolute sweetheart.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fraction posted:

My neighbours have a ~6 month old jrt pup, who is very social (if barky)

A barky terrier... I don't believe you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shifty Pony posted:

You are certainly taking a much more conscientious approach than my family did when two chows and a mutt got into our goat pen when I was a teenager. In our defense the dogs killed four goats and were chasing the rest before we could get over there and there really wasn't any other options besides the shotgun.

Sucked so bad. We had bottle fed one of the kids and she was an absolute sweetheart.

After four goats? I'm sorry, but that is not at all unreasonable. No different than a coyote or wolf or what have you.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Bad Munki posted:

After four goats? I'm sorry, but that is not at all unreasonable. No different than a coyote or wolf or what have you.

Seriously. Livestock/deer killers are the most reviled animals in my home state and you're allowed to shoot them on sight if they're on your property. I'm actually a little surprised that my boss allowed me to call animal control instead.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Seriously. Livestock/deer killers are the most reviled animals in my home state and you're allowed to shoot them on sight if they're on your property. I'm actually a little surprised that my boss allowed me to call animal control instead.

Same around where I'm from. A lot of farmers will shoot on sight if a dog is chasing their livestock, killing or not killing. Sucks for some people who've lost good dogs, but on the other hand, I can't blame the landowners.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Siochain posted:

Same around where I'm from. A lot of farmers will shoot on sight if a dog is chasing their livestock, killing or not killing. Sucks for some people who've lost good dogs, but on the other hand, I can't blame the landowners.

In my area most people don't even wait to see if they're chasing livestock. Too many people have been attacked by loose dogs on their own properties. Now they just shoot, shovel and shut up.

And they wonder why I don't let my dog out off leash :psyduck:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bad Munki posted:

They were fainting goats too. They never had a drat chance :(

We were pretty sure we knew who the dogs belonged to, but they were tagless so we couldn't involve the Sheriff and in any case it wouldn't have mattered. Like Instant Jellyfish says: shoot, shovel, don't talk about it because jack poo poo is going to get fixed.

My parents have a huge problem with people running dogs across their land chasing deer which the "hunters" shoot when they cross the road. But "dog hunting deer is a tradition" :qq: and more importantly the local magistrates are in their hunting club so even when we had video of them doing it they didn't get charged when it should have cost them their hunting licenses for life and had their trucks/dogs forfeited (hundreds of thousands of dollars worth just for those on the video). The drat Good Ole' Boy network is alive and well in South Carolina.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Yeah, that's all kinds of illegal in Vermont even though hunters like to cry tradition, too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I suppose I should return the thread to a happier theme:

Here is me falling for a Sadie belly floof trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHsvLUl_J0

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

At our old house we had a lovely golden retriever neighbourdog. Gary hated him intensely because one day he got out of our backyard (found a tiny hole under the fence and made it bigger... terriers), and the lady next door kept him at her house all day with the golden retriever who JUST WANTED TO BE FRIENDS.

Now we live next to two families. One have two maltese x poodles who are spazzy but nice, and the other have an ancient staffy we never see and a chihuahua with rage problems. It could be a lot worse. There is the neighbour up the street who lets her shar pei wander up and down the road, but it's a total sweetheart and a fatty, and waddles home when you tell it to. :3:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Sarabi and I moved last week. She was a little clingy for awhile.

This was her shadowing me asking for attention. At breakfast. She seems back to normal now because today she refused to get up for breakfast. This is normal; Sarabi keeps weird hours and generally sleeps until about 10 AM regardless of the rest of the world.

When she is clingy she will follow me around and meow. Any time I acknowledge her in any way at all she will meow once, start to purr and flop over on the floor hoping for pets.

Bonus picture of her son Jem (formerly George of Sarabi Thread fame, now goon-owned) looking JUST LIKE HER with shaved legs from a trip to the vet for crystals (he's okay though!)

Definitely her kid. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Maybe a lot of the dog owners in my complex suck:

There's the guy with the herd of ill-behaved dachshunds who never uses a leash, so whenever I take the dogs out while they're out they get swarmed by wiener dogs and freak out. Never picks up their poo poo, either.

There's the lady who just sends her very unfriendly pit out the door on a 20 foot leash and slams the door behind it to trap the leash in the door, leaving this angry-rear end dog tethered outside with zero supervision.

There's the drat vicious yorkie, I swear if this dog was bigger than 5 pounds animal control would've seized it. drat thing attacked Pistol earlier today. Also never on a leash.

Then there's my neighbors with the constant BAROOOOOO and BARKBARKBARK.

Before this when I was in college my neighbor bought a puppy to help pick up girls and did zero training with the poor thing and it was the worst behaved dog ever.

Before THAT my next door neighbors at home got a jack russell/chihuahua mix that would run over into our yard and bark at us for being in our yard and was generally a retarded stupid dog. I'm a dog person but goddamn did I hate this dog.

To be fair some probably hate me, because of Pistol's excited yodels whenever he sees another dog (starts out as a RooooOOoOOOooo until I make him sit and look at me, at which point he knows he's not allowed to be a loud rear end in a top hat and it turns into a high pitched MEEEEEEEE and oh dear lord it's the most annoying noise ever, and he does it at 7 AM) and the fact that he'll just wander into random people's units if they open the door while we're walking by and he's on a loose leash.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

This can be true, but I do want to say that the ONE dog Ooka ever got along with in a "we're the two best friends that anyone could have" sort of way was a neighbordog named Duke, a big blockheaded lumpy staffordshire terrier thing. He was an awesome dog, liked to cut down trees with his mouth (and I do mean TREES) and he and Ooka got along great. They were sooooo gay for each other, nobody was allowed to hump Ooka like Duke could hump Ooka, and vice versa, they'd happily trade off forever. Those two dogs were in love, I swear. No matter how pissy or antsy one of them was, going next door to see BEST BUDS would fixing anything. I have never met a dog that Ooka got along with as well as Duke, I miss that creature. :(

~*~ PUPPY LUV ~*~

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

So I got a new job for when I move back home and it is in an area I am unfamiliar with so I was looking at it on google maps. I started snooping to see what stores were around my work in case there was a fun place for post-work shopping. I saw the word "puppy" and got excited that there was a good pet store with awesomely priced chews and toys for Dex. Nope :sigh:

http://dreamypuppy.com/ I am going to be working one street over from this mess.

My favorite find so far-http://dreamypuppy.com/index.php/beagle-529.html - Date of Birth: No

Edit: I found their fb page and I swear every dog looks depressed or so horribly bred they cannot feel any emotion whatsoever. A couple of them do look really pissed off at the person behind the camera, but they are probably just concentrating too hard on not dying.

Not. Amused.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 30, 2013

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Holy poo poo pet that cat right now.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

cryingscarf posted:

So I got a new job for when I move back home and it is in an area I am unfamiliar with so I was looking at it on google maps. I started snooping to see what stores were around my work in case there was a fun place for post-work shopping. I saw the word "puppy" and got excited that there was a good pet store with awesomely priced chews and toys for Dex. Nope :sigh:

http://dreamypuppy.com/ I am going to be working one street over from this mess.

There is nothin wrong with these puppies they are All God's Angels :angel:

I vote you get the quoted puppy btw. It looks excellent quality.

E: Lola and Kalli are so in love. Lola is thrilled at being able to wrestle whenever she wants / bully the puppy. Pup seems to enjoy getting smacked down though! They cuddle up a bunch and earlier today Kalli was licking Lola's face, with no terrier protest.

I want the puppy to bond with me more though. At the moment she's just kind of chill with people. When she met the neighbour's playful JRT for a moment yesterday she was in giddy puppy heaven. She wants to be near me when she's sleepy or chewy but she doesn't get excited when I come in or anything :saddowns:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 30, 2013

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Welp, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Hugo just climbed to the very top of his brand new 6ft cat tree, went "blerk!" and as my husband and I turned to look at him he power-spewed all the way down it, hitting almost every layer and the floor but somehow miraculously missing Decoy, who was asleep on one of the lower levels. After a moment of stunned silence, he did one final "blergh!" for good measure then huffed off.

He's fine, he just ate his food too quickly so at least he's not ACTUALLY sick but....dude, did you HAVE to climb up to the top of the tree before spewing everywhere? :gonk:

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Fraction posted:

I want the puppy to bond with me more though. At the moment she's just kind of chill with people. When she met the neighbour's playful JRT for a moment yesterday she was in giddy puppy heaven. She wants to be near me when she's sleepy or chewy but she doesn't get excited when I come in or anything :saddowns:

This seems to be par for the course with BCs, at least in my experience. Both of mine were friendly with me and my family, and cordial towards other people but basically didn't give much of a drat about them, whereas Barkyterrier wags himself to death when people so much as look at him. Or it could just be PUPPYTIME OMG LOLA WRESTLES ME! LET'S GO MENTAL! is more fun at the age she is.

Health guaranteed for one year! Before the crippling genetic problems show themselves!

Wabznasm fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 30, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Fraction posted:

I personally wouldn't wish it too soon. With how nervy and sensitive border collies can get, it probably means she's being socialized well and is comfortable enough she doesn't feel the need to cling to you. :3: Remember not to mistake insecurity for affection, this is how people end up with dogs with separation issues down the line. I'm sure as she gets older and you work with her more she'll bond to you more, but in the mean time be thrilled that she's social and confident and doesn't need a human crutch to feel secure. :) You're doing a great job!

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of annoying neighbor dog's, Our (now deceased) golden retriever was a chill neighbordog...but he'd still crap in other people's yards even if we called for him to come back.

One of my old neighbor's had one mutty terrier and 2 jrts, malcolm, beeba and hunter. Malcolm was super old and a group barker, beeba was a sausage because she stole malcolm and hunters food and generally instigated the barking, which would start as soon as I opened the front door and kept going till I was 5 houses away. Beeba was also a vicious little thing...as long as it knew it was safe behind mummys legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This cat is trained better than my dogs.

http://youtu.be/UbvqSCs-FoE

And it's only 8 months old.

• Locked thread