Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zzulu posted:

More robots, man. Pacific Rim Wondercon Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95x0uk6bz_0

This trailer is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I certainly didn't dislike Pacific Rim before now but that trailer really made me want to see it.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Please take all of my everything.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aside from the terribly generic inspirational narration by Jax, that looks loving great.

See, Michael Bay?
That's how you do giant spectacle action movies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Deakul posted:

Aside from the terribly generic inspirational narration by Jax, that looks loving great.

See, Michael Bay?
That's how you do giant spectacle action movies.

Well, Michael Bay has been doing giant spectacle action movies amazingly well for years now, but I guess Del Toro looks to have landed on his own style for them as well.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Michael Bay has made one good spectacle space movie (Armageddon) and it wasn't even that good. Mostly it was held up by the russian guy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zzulu posted:

Michael Bay has made one good spectacle space movie (Armageddon) and it wasn't even that good. Mostly it was held up by the russian guy

If you want to see Peter Stormare steal another movie and make it awesome by just being in it for less then five minutes see Constantine

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I've seen it. He's awesome as Satan

He does so much crap but when he's on he's ON

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, Michael Bay has been doing giant spectacle action movies amazingly well for years now, but I guess Del Toro looks to have landed on his own style for them as well.

I'm going to have to disagree.
His movies have all been incomprehensible clusterfucks of uninspired CGI blobs rolling around, not very fun to watch when you don't even know what's happening.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Seriously?

Bad Boys 1/2 , The Rock , Armageddon are all incomprehensible blobs of CGI? Get over yourself.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Zzulu posted:

So I guess trailer narration is back?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bows1 posted:

Seriously?

Bad Boys 1/2 , The Rock , Armageddon are all incomprehensible blobs of CGI? Get over yourself.

Transformers 1 was a little sketchy in how it was shot but I believe that was explained as a limitation of the technology behind it and fear people wouldn't like it. But T2 and T3 had none of those issues. So yeah people calling Bay a bad director are dumb.

This was the point I started throwing money at the screen. Man that looks rad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This was the point I started throwing money at the screen. Man that looks rad.

This has been talked about in the films thread already, but either that boat is tiny or those cars are huge.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Armageddon is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Guillermo Del Toro, you are my hero.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PriorMarcus posted:

This has been talked about in the films thread already, but either that boat is tiny or those cars are huge.

Looks like a pretty standard river transport boat to me, we have tons of those here, people live on them and they are about a good 2 cars wide.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Judging from everyone's reactions, I can only assume I'm dead inside. That trailer didn't really do anything for me, at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Judging from everyone's reactions, I can only assume I'm dead inside. That trailer didn't really do anything for me, at all.

I'm honestly afraid to say what my problem with the trailer is regardless of scale that tanker should have split in half the way Gypsy Danger heaves it up like a baseball bat because I know it's "blah blah blah fun fun fun."

Plus I'm not a fan of Charlie Day.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, it's been established that Gypsy Danger bro-walks, right?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The robot carnage parts really cranked my motor, but everything else felt kinda lame. Whoever the monotone lead is, he seems like a charisma black hole.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm honestly afraid to say what my problem with the trailer is regardless of scale that tanker should have split in half the way Gypsy Danger heaves it up like a baseball bat because I know it's "blah blah blah fun fun fun."

That bugged me a little too. He should've swung it like a golf club.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

DNS posted:

The robot carnage parts really cranked my motor, but everything else felt kinda lame. Whoever the monotone lead is, he seems like a charisma black hole.

That bugged me a little too. He should've swung it like a golf club.

He looks like Sam Worthington and acts like Sam Worthington but isn't. He feels flat to me too.

But then I rewatch the shot of Gypsy Danger falling into the snow and I don't give a gently caress

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I didn't care for the first trailer and hoped this one would spark some kind of interest. Looks like this movie is just one I'm not going to care about at all.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, I didn't care for the first trailer and hoped this one would spark some kind of interest. Looks like this movie is just one I'm not going to care about at all.

I'm not sure I'd want to live if giant robots beating the poo poo out of monsters didn't excite me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deadpool posted:

There's something wrong with you.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Transformers 1 was a little sketchy in how it was shot but I believe that was explained as a limitation of the technology behind it and fear people wouldn't like it. But T2 and T3 had none of those issues. So yeah people calling Bay a bad director are dumb.

The second one has awful framing in a lot of the action scenes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Febreeze posted:

He looks like Sam Worthington and acts like Sam Worthington but isn't. He feels flat to me too.

But then I rewatch the shot of Gypsy Danger falling into the snow and I don't give a gently caress
Really should have just made Idris Elba and Ron Perlman the main characters.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bows1 posted:

Seriously?

I've actually forgotten about those. :shobon:
The Rock is probably the only one of them that I've genuinely enjoyed though.

I can only associate Bay with Transformers now, really, since he's hellbent on milking that cow for all its worth.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
What's the most amount of pages any thread in CD has gone without breaking out into an argument about Michael Bay?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

schwenz posted:

What's the most amount of pages any thread in CD has gone without breaking out into an argument about Michael Bay?

Ironically the resent Transformers analysis thread managed to go its entire run without any.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mind the walrus posted:

I actually think that's a fair complaint, in a roundabout way. If the trailer engaged you, you wouldn't think of/care about stuff like that. (That's the first thing I noticed as well.)

mind the walrus posted:

Plus I'm not a fan of Charlie Day.
You are a sick and demented freak. I don't know exactly how I feel about what they're doing with him in this movie though, the trailer doesn't really tell me enough.

Hasters posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to live if giant robots beating the poo poo out of monsters didn't excite me.
Isn't this the same logic that should make Transformers awesome?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There are scenes in that trailer alone that are cooler and more exciting than anything in any of the 3 Transformers movies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Transformers doesn't have kaiju or GDT. Also, people complaining about the boat being used as a baseball bat defying physics is sad. Why can't you just enjoy fun things?

:smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teagone posted:

Transformers doesn't have kaiju or GDT. Also, people complaining about the boat being used as a baseball bat defying physics is sad. Why can't you just enjoy fun things?

:smith:

Eat me. I can swallow things that have no basis in conventional reality, but when those things are used to manipulate an object whose behavior is known and predictable according to the laws of physics I'm hard-pressed to swallow it. I never said the rest of the movie looked bad, just that seeing them go 95% of the way then skimp on the physics at the end was distracting. Plus I even said I was afraid of saying so because people like you would go "oh that's sad" like nitpicking is something I enjoy doing. I don't.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't make us say "tactical realism".

Anyway, here's a fan-made Iron Man 3 trailer from Thailand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6IxvJzZ-k

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
This whole minor argument really comes close to people complaining about the Fringe science in Fringe. Almost.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Eat me. I can swallow things that have no basis in conventional reality, but when those things are used to manipulate an object whose behavior is known and predictable according to the laws of physics I'm hard-pressed to swallow it.

This is in regards to a movie where hostile, giant alien monsters warp through a portal in the Pacific Ocean that eventually leads to the nations of earth constructing giant combat robots to counter their attacks. Alright.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes, and those parts of it are fine; it's all the human bullshit that kills those movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teagone posted:

This is in regards to a movie where hostile, giant alien monsters go through a portal in the Pacific Ocean that eventually leads to the nations of the world constructing giant combat robots to counter their attacks. Alright.

Way to completely miss my point whilst arguing a point I pre-emptively refuted. You're a clever one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Way to completely miss my point whilst arguing a point I pre-emptively refuted. You're a clever one.

Sorry, but your logic is all :psyduck: to me. So you can totally accept and enjoy the notion of giant monsters warping into earth via an ocean portal and massive robots built to fend them off, but the moment one of those robot uses a ship and defies conventional physics by swinging it around like a bat, you just can't believe it?

• Locked thread