Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Agatsu posted:

Is that sero/eprp line worth calling on non business hours? Or should I wait until Monday to activate?
They're available on Saturdays too, but I forget what their hours are. Call at normal business hours I guess. Maybe try for before 3PM CDT just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

td4guy posted:

They're available on Saturdays too, but I forget what their hours are. Call at normal business hours I guess. Maybe try for before 3PM CDT just in case.

Thanks, I'll try em in the morning. The S4 is a nice handset, large - gigantic for a cellphone, even if thin - but that said, it's really nice. So I got excited and transferred all my stuff over already!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

Just signed on to order an S4 and Sprint is on Central time for the release. Who the hell is on Central time? :wtc:

Central time = best time zone. I miss it.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Got mine activated with little issue. I will say, I played around setting it up last night without activating- there is some sort of failsafe kickback during activation where it will reset your phone, so any pre-activation setup you do - don't bother, it went away on mine. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone, but just bear in mind it could happen. So now I have to resetup all of my accounts and apps and whatnot.

That was also the nicest conversation I've had with a sprint tech, didn't wait on hold at all - they picked up on the first ring even. Really nice and they fixed my other line I screwed up and dropped sero off of over a year ago. (Didnt know I should call in to activate hurf) I am really impressed, typically I figure the tradeoff is cheaper than verizon but deal with lousy customer service - not at all. I hope they send me a CS survey so I can help the tech out, she was a sweetheart. I was her first s4 activation too.

Also in case anyone was wondering, they told me the TEP insurance is 11$ a month, but a 200$ deductible for the S4 (and Iphone 5 I think). Yikes.

And the sero/eprp line call team is on est, she was in Tennessee.

Time to go re set up all my stuffs. Enjoy your new phones (to those who just got em).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Agatsu posted:

Also in case anyone was wondering, they told me the TEP insurance is 11$ a month, but a 200$ deductible for the S4 (and Iphone 5 I think). Yikes.

And the sero/eprp line call team is on est, she was in Tennessee.

Weird. They told me that the S4 has a $150 deductible when I ordered last night. I'm certain because I heard it all a second time when the first call dropped and I had to start over completely when I called back and had the hardest time convincing the rep not to read the phone's specifications off the web site or discuss the different types of cellular coverage that could exist in my area. They need a better script.

Looks like SERO exists in the best time zone. Pack it in centralailures!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Loucks posted:

Weird. They told me that the S4 has a $150 deductible when I ordered last night. I'm certain because I heard it all a second time when the first call dropped and I had to start over completely when I called back and had the hardest time convincing the rep not to read the phone's specifications off the web site or discuss the different types of cellular coverage that could exist in my area. They need a better script.

Looks like SERO exists in the best time zone. Pack it in centralailures!

Well, just so you know I'm in Arizona. I feel bad for you idiots changing your clocks around, we're too cool for that bullshit.

Double check about the insurance but the girl I talked to had my stuff fixed up so fast, she was very knowledgeable about everything, so I wouldn't think her wrong on any point but you never know.

Anyone seeing an odd account credit from the pre-order?

tph
Jan 21, 2003
King Dick
Anyone know of a way to avoid the $36 activation/upgrade fee when upgrading to a new smartphone? Seems to show up online when I upgrade to any of the the newer smartphones. I'm on premium SERO right now and want to upgrade to the S4.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Agatsu posted:

Well, just so you know I'm in Arizona. I feel bad for you idiots changing your clocks around, we're too cool for that bullshit.

Tell me about it. I live in Indiana, which used to be too cool for that bullshit too.

tph posted:

Anyone know of a way to avoid the $36 activation/upgrade fee when upgrading to a new smartphone? Seems to show up online when I upgrade to any of the the newer smartphones. I'm on premium SERO right now and want to upgrade to the S4.

They charge it on phone orders too. At least we're on SERO so it doesn't hurt quite as badly when Sprint bends us over for another arbitrary charge. Still, I might try calling retentions to bitch when it shows up on my bill. Can't hurt.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

tph posted:

I recently had luck getting Filipino telesales to waive the activation fee after saying I'd just go pick up the phone at my local store if I still had to pay the fee. They or their call center probably get a sales commission. I was also able to get the EPRP/Employee Care line to waive the activation fee when I added a line using a phone I already owned.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Loucks posted:

They charge it on phone orders too. At least we're on SERO so it doesn't hurt quite as badly when Sprint bends us over for another arbitrary charge. Still, I might try calling retentions to bitch when it shows up on my bill. Can't hurt.

I thought I saw something in the OP about avoiding it if you bank at a credit union? The tech I spoke with didn't ask, and I forgot to ask as well.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Agatsu posted:

I thought I saw something in the OP about avoiding it if you bank at a credit union? The tech I spoke with didn't ask, and I forgot to ask as well.

The credit union member discount waives the fees (or credits them back I think, which may take a month). It doesn't stack with other discounts though, so if you already have an employer discount it won't work.

I also don't know for sure if discounts can be attached to SERO or EPRP but I really doubt it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Discounts cannot be stacked, so if you have a credit Union discount you get waived upgrade fees, everything else you are SOL. Carriers are getting very big about not waiving fees, so always feel free to try, but they might jut say no.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
I know Costco wireless purchases for sprint the $36 fee is credited back within 3 months automatically on all purchases including upgrades but that doesn't work for EPRP or SERO lines obviously.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
If they won't waive activation, it may be worth asking if your account qualifies for a $25 loyalty credit to help offset it. When I got my s3 last Nov, I got one just by asking. (And then somehow the activation fee also never appeared, dunno how I lucked into that)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I bought a sero line last year and gave it to my sister and closed her eprp line and they forgot to attach the $50 etf they said I'd owe on it. Miracles do happen!

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm loving my S4.

The size will take some getting used to, but it's nice having a phone that lasts a full night without dying and/or crashing (I'm looking at you, Nexus S 4G).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I want to get the S4 but the $50 premium is pissing me off.

Even Verizon's S4 is $199 (after $50 mail-in rebate).

The online cart says my tax would be based on a number lower than the MSRP. Is that the case?

gently caress you, Sprint.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

moolchaba posted:

Yeah, Sprint is poo poo.

And so is every other US carrier. Maybe there is a cellular Xanadu somewhere, but here it's Hobson's choice.

Doesn't mean I don't occasionally consider switching to a prepaid dumbphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

I want to get the S4 but the $50 premium is pissing me off.

Even Verizon's S4 is $199 (after $50 mail-in rebate).

The online cart says my tax would be based on a number lower than the MSRP. Is that the case?

To be fair, most carriers give more to new customers. Sprint is just being blatant about it unfortunately.

Taxes depend on your state last I checked.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

To be fair, most carriers give more to new customers. Sprint is just being blatant about it unfortunately.

Taxes depend on your state last I checked.

Verizon's $50 off is for current customers also.

Last I knew, Sprint charged tax based off the retail value of the phone, but the checkout was showing me a much lower tax.

I'll stew over it, and probably capitulate by the end of the week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

Verizon's $50 off is for current customers also.

Last I knew, Sprint charged tax based off the retail value of the phone, but the checkout was showing me a much lower tax.

I'll stew over it, and probably capitulate by the end of the week.

Taxes vary by state, for instance in PA carriers charge by the final price ($249 vs $650ish), but that isn't the case in other states. I can only speak for PA and TN, the two states i have sold phones in.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So, Memphis has decent 4G coverage, but holy hell it must be severely limited on how much it can handle.

I was downtown last weekend at a Redbirds game and data was literally unusable on 4G.

I had to switch back to CDMA only to get any sort of data.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Well, my Evo 3D has poo poo the bed. It refuses to go past the bootup screen...I've been running the same ROM for the past year or so and it was pretty solid until this morning. I started walking to work and it just suddenly rebooted when I opened Spotify. Leaving it on the bootup screen for a half hour just makes it unbearably hot. I don't even know what to try besides a factory reset from the bootloader.

Hopefully the RadioShack near me has the One in stock tomorrow so I can finally upgrade.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Taxes vary by state, for instance in PA carriers charge by the final price ($249 vs $650ish), but that isn't the case in other states. I can only speak for PA and TN, the two states i have sold phones in.

Other points of reference: CA charges tax on full retail value, AZ on actual sale price. Sprint taxes you based on where they ship the phone. I learned the hard way that when I bought my sister-in-law a phone and had Sprint ship it to CA, it would've cost me less to have it shipped to my door and then overnight it myself to her.

Tony Danza
Dec 21, 2004
And How!
This I am sure has been covered but this thread is so long. My wife and I are currently on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan. I get a discount of 17% from an old employer but I am certain that if I upgrade my phone they will take it away. I was wondering how I could switch to an EPRP shared plan in order to offset the loss of my employer discount. Do I have to wait until my contract ends and port my numbers to prepay and then back to sprint? I know it is only about $20 a month but it ends up being $500 over 2 years. Otherwise does anyone know of any other place that offers a % discount through sprint? I am a college student if that helps.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tony Danza posted:

This I am sure has been covered but this thread is so long. My wife and I are currently on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan. I get a discount of 17% from an old employer but I am certain that if I upgrade my phone they will take it away. I was wondering how I could switch to an EPRP shared plan in order to offset the loss of my employer discount. Do I have to wait until my contract ends and port my numbers to prepay and then back to sprint? I know it is only about $20 a month but it ends up being $500 over 2 years. Otherwise does anyone know of any other place that offers a % discount through sprint? I am a college student if that helps.
Yeah, your assumption about the porting out and back in thing is correct.

Otherwise, many credit unions get you a discount. Start googling local credit union names + "Sprint discount" to see if you get any positive hits.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

td4guy posted:

Yeah, your assumption about the porting out and back in thing is correct.

Otherwise, many credit unions get you a discount. Start googling local credit union names + "Sprint discount" to see if you get any positive hits.

Any credit union member is eligible for a discount

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tony Danza posted:

This would be up to you, but if you are good at photo shop you might have an alternative solution.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Agatsu posted:

18$? Wow! That's not even worth packing it up and driving to fedex. Yes, I'm that lazy.

That said, it is a really old phone, hence the upgrade to the s4. I'll poke my head around ebay figure a fair deal and post it in samart in the next few weeks. Thanks for the info, I will let you know when I get that figured.
If you don't want to go through the hassle of selling it, there are plenty of charities to whom you can donate your cell phones. I donate mine to a local center for domestic violence and abuse. Back in the flip phone days, they'd give good working phones to newly-independent women who could use them for emergencies -- all phones must be able to dial 911, even if not on a service plan or don't have a SIM card. These days, these organizations donate them in bulk to electronics recycling programs instead, who probably pay them much better for the phone than you'd get from Sprint. That's why their donations now typically ask for leaving out chargers and accessories, since the only thing significantly recyclable is a phone.

Places like Best Buy have drop bins for old phones to do the same thing, but I feel better about giving them to a charity than to a company when I can. Occasionally I go around at work collecting old phones for just this purpose.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there any way to check in-store availability of phones online? I just spent twenty minutes waiting for someone to pickup, looping through the thing asking me if I wanted to know the store hours every minute.

Best Buy has the One in-stock, but ugh. Every RadioShack in the district is still waiting on getting their first delivery, so I can't get the $50 Google Play promotion.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, my S3 is having some charging issues. Most notably, when I plug a cable into it, and set it down, I'll continue to periodically hear it chime as it does when its just been plugged in.

Does the s3 have a history or known defect where there charging port can become defective? Because I just bought a new cable, and it's doing the same thing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I use Google Voice for my voice mail. However, my phone constantly notifies me that I have three new voice mails. If I dial the voice mail number and check, there's nothing there. Still I get a notification every time I move between coverage areas that I have voice mail. I don't have any new messages in Google Voice, either. How can I make this go away?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I just got the black HTC One, and drat.

The saleslady at the Sprint store managed to switch my line from the primary line on a family plan to an individual plan. How does that even happen? Thankfully Sprint emailed me about this or I wouldn't have noticed until I got my bill next month.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stevie Lee posted:

I just got the black HTC One, and drat.

The saleslady at the Sprint store managed to switch my line from the primary line on a family plan to an individual plan. How does that even happen? Thankfully Sprint emailed me about this or I wouldn't have noticed until I got my bill next month.

Rep clicked on accident? The system we use is pretty bleh and over all laggy as hell.Plus the default first screen on a device swap is "Individual plans". Normally you just click continue and skip it without clicking. But it wouldn't be hard to misclick or something. I cant think of a legit "shady" reason to do it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I was assuming it was by accident, I just didn't think it would be so easy to do.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Stevie Lee posted:

I was assuming it was by accident, I just didn't think it would be so easy to do.

The rep gets no added benefit to change you to an individual line. She must have forgotten to click the little drop down to view the share plans.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think I finally figured out a decent insurance solution for myself.

I'm on a EPRP plan and I've had TEP on both phones I've had so far and I'm going into a new upgrade. Going into upgrades/contracts previously, I just said screw it and threw on the asurion coverage primarily because I was lazy and didn't do the long term math, like everyone else. Also, to be fair, the fees started at 8/mo (50 deductible) and then went to 11/mo (100 deductible), and is now at 11/mo with a 150 deductible.

Now I'm armed with some empirical data. I know that across 4 years and 2 devices I've managed to not use insurance once. I know what the ebay/used market prices are for last years phone at the 1 year mark. I also have rates for 2 different 3rd party insurers, so, let's look at the math.

You can break this down into year one and year two. You've got your insurance fee, then the deductible total for each year. This gives you the cost of what you pay up front, and then the cost of what it will take to get a repaired/replaced device in case something happens.

With asurion, you're paying $132 in the first year. If you need to use the insurance, you're paying $282 total. In the second year, same deal, $132 upfront, $282 total.

With squaretrade, you're paying $65 in the first year. If you need the insurance, you're paying $165 total. Again, same deal second year.

Much better. I looked around a bit more, and found some other 3rd party options and decided on this setup-

Ensquared- 1 year coverage. First year, you pay $60. If you need the insurance, you pay $135 total. Second year, you have no coverage, but you give yourself a budget of $200. Now you've got options for replacement. Depending on the issue, you may be able to repair the device for a little bit cheaper then your budget from the manufacturer. Based on ebay prices, you could get a new or used replacement of the same device, or something like it in the same generation of phones.

Granted there are differences in policies and this might be not be a solution for everyone. For instance asurion can overnight a replacement or ensquared requires a police report for theft.
For me, this works. I know I have a smaller chance of actually using the insurance based on my last two phones. I know I have my current phone I could use as a temp phone and not be miserable.

In any case, for sure I know I was getting hosed by sprints option, and the numbers prove it.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 30, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I'm pricing Squaretrade with the Samsung S4. For $99 you get 2 years of coverage (or pay 5.99 per month) with a $99 deductible.

Wow. That's big difference from $11 per month with a $200 deductible.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

moolchaba posted:

I'm pricing Squaretrade with the Samsung S4. For $99 you get 2 years of coverage (or pay 5.99 per month) with a $99 deductible.

Wow. That's big difference from $11 per month with a $200 deductible.

Just note that Squaretrade doesn't cover loss/theft, if that is something you are concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have one last question. If I buy a phone through someplace other than sprint like through ebay or craigslist or something, what happens with my protection plan? I haven't cancelled it just yet because I'm still on my E4GT and I've been using it a lot recently, but let's say I pick a S3 up off of ebay. Is there any point to having the protection plan then?

I'm only asking because last time I went into the store the guy I talked to said it would carry over to the new phone, but thinking back on it I think I might not have asked the right questions. It just seems weird that I could bring in a phone not bought from Sprint and still take advantage of bringing it in for any problems I end up having, especially since that includes them straight up replacing my device if need be.