Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Xandoom posted:

I didn't want to freak people out like last time. But in that case, movies I have also enjoyed:

The Bunny Game
Saw
Hostel
A Serbian Film
Cannibal Holocaust
Vile
Human Centipede 1 and 2
Martyrs.

I'm not sure if you've seen The Collector series or not, but based on the above list you might enjoy them.

They've definitely got some plot issues in the sense of "Wait how exactly did this dude have time to set up all these ridiculously complex traps on other people's property?" but aside from that, they've got a good amount of interesting kill sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Just saw Maniac, a first person serial killer movie starring Elijah Woods in the role he was born to play ever since he was in Sin City.

He basically goes around having White Heat-level migraines and Spider-like flashbacks while "artsy" filter effects happen in between his murders. I don't think the FPS was done as well as in Enter the Void, but they probably weren't going for that.

I don't know, I liked it, but I am an idiot. Did anyone else see this?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skywalker OG posted:

Just saw Maniac, a first person serial killer movie starring Elijah Woods in the role he was born to play ever since he was in Sin City.

He basically goes around having White Heat-level migraines and Spider-like flashbacks while "artsy" filter effects happen in between his murders. I don't think the FPS was done as well as in Enter the Void, but they probably weren't going for that.

I haven't seen it, but it's been getting crazy good press and the trailer/first scene they released looked great, so I don't think you're alone in liking it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Skywalker OG posted:

I saw it in March and thought it was horrifying and brilliant, I haven't seen the original but this dominated my thoughts for days after. It's so sincerely horrific, which is refreshing. Amazing synth-use in the soundtrack too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

BisonDollah posted:

I haven't seen the original

The original is a great film. Three important considerations about the original:

(1) It has what is probably Joe Spinell's best performance.

(2) It has the best poster/VHS cover art ever.

(3) It has an infamous graphic shotgun shooting through the windshield scene where if you watch closely you'll notice Tom Savini is attacking himself (he officially plays the victim but as the stunt coordinator he also did the shooting in the intercut).

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

BisonDollah posted:

I saw it in March and thought it was horrifying and brilliant, I haven't seen the original but this dominated my thoughts for days after. It's so sincerely horrific, which is refreshing. Amazing synth-use in the soundtrack too.

The music was great, and I even liked the Silence of the Lambs nod.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xandoom posted:

I need some reccomendations please. My favorite horror movies are as follows:

Frontier(s)
Hostel I and II
Friday the 13th.
Silence of the Lambs (and sequels)
Evil Dead

I basically enjoy slashers and movies with over the top gore/disturbing content.

There was some controversy a while back about my tastes in movies. I'll repeat again, I am on medication and am seeing a therapist. I'm not going to hurt anyone, I just enjoy these types of movies and could use some reccomendations..
Thanks!

I'm assuming you've that you've watched all the major stuff like 100 days of Sodom and the August Underground series?

I mean if you are just going for what's the most disturbing things I would watch this would be my pick. The ones I've seen I've found particularly disturbing, others I just won't watch.

100 days of Sodom ( I have seen )
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer ( I have seen )
The Beyond ( I have seen)
Necromantik ( Have not watched )
August Underground films ( have not watched )
The Suicide Club ( have not watched )
Guinea Pig films ( have not watched )
Maniac (original)
Maniac ( remake )
Excision ( have seen )
The Men behind the Sun ( watched half )
The Blood Trilogy by Herschell Gordon Lewis
Actually just watch anything by him.

Anyway I'd suggest you look into Japanese and Italian horror , you'll find a lot of just disgusting gore / slasher films specifically Giallo films from the early 70s.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Ariza posted:

Regarding Ti West, per Eli Roth:

I'm now producing a film called The Sacrament that Ti West produced and directed. He made a terrific film called House of the Devil, and had a great idea about a found footage docu-style horror movie set it a Jonestown type cult where we watch a mass suicide begin and the film makers are trapped inside. It's really, really scary.

It's supposed to come out sometime this year and is my most anticipated movie now that Springbreakers and The Evil Dead have come and gone.

Is it me or does this sound like the exact same premise in VHS-2 The Haven segment

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Cannot find any way to watch The Last Exorcism Part II so I'm guessing its not on Netflix or On Demand anywhere. Sometimes I wish I could mail the people a check for ten dollars and get an HD file.

Last night we watched Sinister which was neat until it explained itself and The Possesion which was cool as a Jewish response to normally Catholic exorcism movies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rapdawg posted:

Cannot find any way to watch The Last Exorcism Part II so I'm guessing its not on Netflix or On Demand anywhere. Sometimes I wish I could mail the people a check for ten dollars and get an HD file.

Last night we watched Sinister which was neat until it explained itself and The Possesion which was cool as a Jewish response to normally Catholic exorcism movies.

I really like Sinister alot but there's so much I would change it's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever liked a movie that much yet wanted to change so much.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

This new Hellraiser on netflix is pretty loving amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

axleblaze posted:

I really like Sinister alot but there's so much I would change it's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever liked a movie that much yet wanted to change so much.

Seriously if they just cut out the last ten minutes it would have been fine end with her standing over him it would have been perfect.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

axleblaze posted:

Out of curiosity what would you change? I pretty much love the movie, and the only real thing I could think of changing is putting less of an emphasis on "look how creepy these kids are," if only because some of that felt pretty cliche. Though I did enjoy the twist of the kidnapped kids being the ones who committed the murders rather than Mr. Boogie.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

axleblaze posted:

Mr. Boogie posted:

Out of curiosity what would you change? I pretty much love the movie, and the only real thing I could think of changing is putting less of an emphasis on "look how creepy these kids are," if only because some of that felt pretty cliche. Though I did enjoy the twist of the kidnapped kids being the ones who committed the murders rather than Mr. Boogie.

I would have cut Mr. Boogie out entirely, and just hinged it on creepy evil kids who somehow live on in the films of their murders. Oh, sure, it wouldn't have made it franchisable, wouldn't have allowed the producers to leverage a brand, but gently caress, it would have been a good scary movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollis posted:

I'm assuming you've that you've watched all the major stuff like 100 days of Sodom and the August Underground series?

I mean if you are just going for what's the most disturbing things I would watch this would be my pick. The ones I've seen I've found particularly disturbing, others I just won't watch.

100 days of Sodom ( I have seen )
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer ( I have seen )
The Beyond ( I have seen)
Necromantik ( Have not watched )
August Underground films ( have not watched )
The Suicide Club ( have not watched )
Guinea Pig films ( have not watched )
Maniac (original)
Maniac ( remake )
Excision ( have seen )
The Men behind the Sun ( watched half )
The Blood Trilogy by Herschell Gordon Lewis
Actually just watch anything by him.

Anyway I'd suggest you look into Japanese and Italian horror , you'll find a lot of just disgusting gore / slasher films specifically Giallo films from the early 70s.

These are excellent suggestions! Thank you!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TUS posted:

Agreed. I knew they were trying to remake Hellraiser 1 but that is NOT what I was expecting.

Craig Spradlin posted:

I would have cut Mr. Boogie out entirely, and just hinged it on creepy evil kids who somehow live on in the films of their murders. Oh, sure, it wouldn't have made it franchisable, wouldn't have allowed the producers to leverage a brand, but gently caress, it would have been a good scary movie.

Since you revealed what the alternate design for the character was, I can't believe they went with what they went with over the original design. So stupid.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

axleblaze posted:

Usually when I react to a movie like this, it's a good sign that I really enjoyed it. If its utter poo poo, I don't even waste any brain cells thinking of ways to improve it.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

TUS posted:

What's it called?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AGirlWonder posted:

What's it called?

It's a joke, when you try to stream Hellraiser you get a completely unrelated cult film instead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Has any Hellraiser film put Trooper over the credits?

I haven't seen any, but they should.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Xandoom posted:

These are excellent suggestions! Thank you!

Please watch Funny Games if you haven't and write a short analysis for us. I'm super curious to see what you make of it.

What did you think of Martyrs?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a joke, when you try to stream Hellraiser you get a completely unrelated cult film instead.

Must've been fixed already. C'mon Netflix, I really wanted to watch Miami Connection. :(

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

frozenpeas posted:

Please watch Funny Games if you haven't and write a short analysis for us. I'm super curious to see what you make of it.

Please don't, that was a terrible waste of twenty pages.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I actually got to see Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street. While I had some major problems in both films what the gently caress was going on with the ending of NOES :psyduck: I thought there was some pretty great parts.

I actually found the long arms in NOES scary!

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Since you revealed what the alternate design for the character was, I can't believe they went with what they went with over the original design. So stupid.

Got a link to the original design? Never seen it.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I hope the Miami Connection mix-up means that all the drafthouse movies will be on Netflix at some point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gary the Llama posted:

Got a link to the original design? Never seen it.

Craig Spradlin posted:

According to the movie's Wikipedia entry, the filmmakers originally wanted something more like a creepy, effeminate Pied Piper/Willy Wonka character, but they were concerned about the character's franchisability, so they made it something safer and more conventionally scary. Which is why the word "franchise" is, to be, drat near profanity.

Not only would it have been more memorable but it would also make more sense.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Seriously if they just cut out the last ten minutes it would have been fine end with her standing over him it would have been perfect.

See the last ten minutes are probably my favorite part. I love watching this hosed up dark ritual slowly play out and I love almost all the imagery the use. I love the sign written in blood on the wall. I love all the children gathering and staring out at the smiling girl and then running away when Mr Boogie shows up and takes her away. I mean it's all this awful ritual that even with all the movie's explanations is still kind of alien and weird and I found watching it all play out fascinating and horrifying.

Mr. Boogie posted:

Out of curiosity what would you change?

Off the top of my head I'd change how Mr Boogie looks. He'd honestly be way better as some abstract thing or just some guy rather than the awful design they wound up with. Honestly him just being some guy woudl work well because the movie would focus on him trying to find that guy in vein, thinking he had a good lead on the book rather than the way it plays out where there's just kind of a silly looking demon that he never really seems to look into until it's too late

I'd also rely less on him for the movies scares. I like having him there but I also don't think he should e popping out of shadows and saying boo, especially given how it all plays out. Like there's one shot that has so much potential and they ruin it by going a less interesting way. There's the shot where the kids are all in the attic watching a movie of mr boogie play out and then he leans in from the side of the camera. It's a comically terrible shot. All they really needed to do was have Mr Boogie Slowly come out of the screen and walk towards the kids and that really would have been enough and would have been a much more powerful image.

Like at the very least they should have made it so the appearances of Mr Boogie made ti look like he was going after his daughter and that's what should have scared him and it's also would have been a good mislead that would have worked towards the ending.

I would also cut like 90% of the exposition. So much of what's going on is pretty easy to figure out without it and all the explanations just make you expect what's coming. Exposition is the enemy of horror and I think the only reason the movie managed to get under my skin so well is because my mind just kind of dismissed the exposition into "I don't really care about this" pile.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

frozenpeas posted:

What did you think of Martyrs?

Should I watch the original or the remake?

I enjoyed Martyrs very much! Good film.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Xandoom posted:

Should I watch the original or the remake?

I enjoyed Martyrs very much! Good film.

That would make you the first person I've ever seen who "enjoyed" Martyrs. I thought it was a great movie, really unsettling and gets under your skin in such a unique, lingering way, but enjoyable is not a word I've ever seen tossed around with it.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Cart posted:

That would make you the first person I've ever seen who "enjoyed" Martyrs. I thought it was a great movie, really unsettling and gets under your skin in such a unique, lingering way, but enjoyable is not a word I've ever seen tossed around with it.

I will definitely say that I enjoyed it too. Unsettling and sometimes uncomfortable to watch, but enjoyment isn't set aside for warm summer day walks. I find it genuinely entertaining, unique and interesting, so I think that falls under enjoyment in some sense of the word?

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I agree that Martyrs is unique and interesting, but for me it's also so genuinely disturbing that I couldn't bring myself to finish it after turning it off at the half-way point. And I honestly don't want to think about some of those scenes more than I absolutely have too. I'm sure disturbing is what they were going for, they just did it far too well for my tastes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Are there any zombie movies in the spirit of The Video Dead that don't suck? Zombies coming out of the TV = awesome. Everything else about the movie = poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Are there any zombie movies in the spirit of The Video Dead that don't suck? Zombies coming out of the TV = awesome. Everything else about the movie = poo poo.

Yeah dude - Messiah of Evil.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

axleblaze posted:

See the last ten minutes are probably my favorite part. I love watching this hosed up dark ritual slowly play out and I love almost all the imagery the use. I love the sign written in blood on the wall. I love all the children gathering and staring out at the smiling girl and then running away when Mr Boogie shows up and takes her away. I mean it's all this awful ritual that even with all the movie's explanations is still kind of alien and weird and I found watching it all play out fascinating and horrifying.

Off the top of my head I'd change how Mr Boogie looks. He'd honestly be way better as some abstract thing or just some guy rather than the awful design they wound up with. Honestly him just being some guy woudl work well because the movie would focus on him trying to find that guy in vein, thinking he had a good lead on the book rather than the way it plays out where there's just kind of a silly looking demon that he never really seems to look into until it's too late

I'd also rely less on him for the movies scares. I like having him there but I also don't think he should e popping out of shadows and saying boo, especially given how it all plays out. Like there's one shot that has so much potential and they ruin it by going a less interesting way. There's the shot where the kids are all in the attic watching a movie of mr boogie play out and then he leans in from the side of the camera. It's a comically terrible shot. All they really needed to do was have Mr Boogie Slowly come out of the screen and walk towards the kids and that really would have been enough and would have been a much more powerful image.

Like at the very least they should have made it so the appearances of Mr Boogie made ti look like he was going after his daughter and that's what should have scared him and it's also would have been a good mislead that would have worked towards the ending.

I would also cut like 90% of the exposition. So much of what's going on is pretty easy to figure out without it and all the explanations just make you expect what's coming. Exposition is the enemy of horror and I think the only reason the movie managed to get under my skin so well is because my mind just kind of dismissed the exposition into "I don't really care about this" pile.

The problem I had with Sinister's villain design is that earlier in the film, it actually works well when he's just a white featureless face that's very similar to a plastic mask - and probably was - he's actually interesting. The way he blends into the scenery of the videos at first only to emerge with closer viewings, like in Blow Up, is potentially interesting and fits with his later back story. I also like that most of the time he just seems to be watching or drifting about, not really doing anything. The way he appears in the pool sequence, with what seems to be a long black cloak that didn't give his body much shape was also fantastic.

Then we get that dumb scare in the attic and Pro Wrestler Gimmick version at the end. They actually seem to have changed the design between scenes, if you notice: the white mask with few defining features has been replaced with a guy in white facepaint, so of course he has noticeable features since it's just a guy's face with make up. That and the robe/black cloth becoming a trench coat and him having slick black hair make him look like he was definitely designed to be "badass" and cool.

For exposition, all we really need is "Some might call him Boguile, based off an old Babylonian myth...but you would know him by the modern name: The Boogeyman.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 30, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah dude - Messiah of Evil.

FOREVER THIS.

Also Demons 2 does the TV stuff pretty good.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

penismightier posted:

FOREVER THIS.

Also Demons 2 does the TV stuff pretty good.

[REC 1/2] are pretty much a Demons 2 remake, for that matter.

Edit: And while we're talking about Italian horror movies, I'm really sad that one of my all-time favorite movies barely ever gets a mention in this thread:

Dellamorte Dellamore. If you don't own it, you should close this thread, go and buy yourself a copy, watch it half a dozen time then come back posting afterwards.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 30, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Rapdawg posted:

It's not out until June 18th on DVD/Blu-Ray. I am really excited for its release, because the first one is probably my favourite horror film of the past five or so years, and I was down on the second one until I read some of posters, whose taste I like, enjoying it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Twin Cinema posted:

It's not out until June 18th on DVD/Blu-Ray. I am really excited for its release, because the first one is probably my favourite horror film of the past five or so years, and I was down on the second one until I read some of posters, whose taste I like, enjoying it.

In my opinion, it's best to just forget about the first movie completely if you want to increase your chances of enjoying the second. Other than one character, they have nothing in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I agree that Martyrs is unique and interesting, but for me it's also so genuinely disturbing that I couldn't bring myself to finish it after turning it off at the half-way point. And I honestly don't want to think about some of those scenes more than I absolutely have too. I'm sure disturbing is what they were going for, they just did it far too well for my tastes.
I'm curious, what scene did it for you? The one that stopped me and I almost didn't come back to it was the point where she finds the hidden basement torture chamber and the girl with the mask bolted into her head. As soon as she makes that discovery, you get this sinking feeling where you just know that what happens next is going to be awful. Then with the mask, there's something about that level of dehumanization that hit a deep nerve and made me not feel well for a while.

Rapdawg posted:

It probably won't be anytime soon, but someday the marketplace will catch up, if the MPAA and studios ever get their heads out of their asses far enough to see how much money they're throwing away by not having a system in place to let people go online and do just what you're talking about. Even though they are getting shorter, delayed releases of any kind are making less and less sense given the realities of the current technology.