Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Millions posted:

Holy god drat, that's going in the OP. If anyone else has any good screenshots of their Arisen/Pawn that are based on any real people or fictional characters, post them! The showcase section of the OP has been pretty barren since the beginning of the thread.

Samurai Sanders you never posted your Bowie pawn from vanilla DD :colbert:

Well I have my sort of attempt to get the Amon look down. It's almost there. Not 100% but I think I have it fairly close. Amon himself:

Pawn(newer shots with updated arm gear. My main guy isn't modeled much after anyone-he's just a big rear end undead elf looking guy.)

It's fun to create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rascyc posted:

Oh that's neat. It just functions as a normal enhance before that. I haven't finished BBI but are there any fights in there that does a full conditionless dragon forge or are 2 hour NG+ runs still the way to go?

I think the fastest way would be to go kill a Drake over and over. If you're dragonforging a full set of equipment, then yeah a NG+ run might be faster. Does BBI change in NG+ though?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The dragons in Bitterblack have a higher chance to dragonforge equipment, something near 100% on 3 star stuff and a non zero chance on 0 star stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RatHat posted:

I think the fastest way would be to go kill a Drake over and over. If you're dragonforging a full set of equipment, then yeah a NG+ run might be faster. Does BBI change in NG+ though?
The problem with the Drake farming is that you actually have to forge the gear to 3 stars for even a shot at it, and then it's only like 18% for the major drakes. The 1 or 2 star chances are like single digit success rates. It's fine if you have the mats though.

The way to do this in the old game was to just farm Online Ur-Dragon when he was going down every other day. The current gen is like a week+ though so I'm not too hopeful.

^^ dang, 100%? Your best odds are like 30% in DD via offline Ur-Dragon, outside of online Ur-Dragon and Grigori. That's great news.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ahah I just sat down and plinked Satan to death over like 30 minutes with my magic archer. Normal attacks because my specials did 0 damage. So I finally kill him and he turns into his final form and I literally cannot hurt him no matter what I do. How are you guys beating him as magic archer? Ricochet shot does nothing to him. I'm a maxed out Magic Archer.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Curse dragons seem to have a really good chance for dragonforging stuff, I've even had them forge a few things that were completely un-upgraded. The dark bishop and his pet dragon count, they respawn and are pretty easy to kill. You could try to use the bait too.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So I got a few vocation levels in sorcerer last night and am kinda digging it. What spells are the most useful and which ones should I avoid? I kinda wonder the same thing for the other classes as well. I always just stick to the same skills but I feel like there are always others that could be cool but I don't know if they're gonna be cool enough to replace something like cutting wind or fivefold arrow.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Azaael posted:

Well I have my sort of attempt to get the Amon look down. It's almost there. Not 100% but I think I have it fairly close. Amon himself:

Pawn(newer shots with updated arm gear. My main guy isn't modeled much after anyone-he's just a big rear end undead elf looking guy.)

It's fun to create.

Is that Hellfire armor?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maelstrom, Bolide and Gicel are all great. Lassitude is great with a quick cast time. Voidspell cures EVERYTHING, even Petrification. Fulmination, Petrification, and Necromancy are pretty bad, don't use them. Exequy can be kinda fun as a gimmick spell but it takes too long to kill stuff for it to be practical.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The big change-log mentions that there's a quest to kill a Gorecyclops in the Shadow Fort. When does that pop up? After the Hydra, maybe?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Dominic White posted:

The big change-log mentions that there's a quest to kill a Gorecyclops in the Shadow Fort. When does that pop up? After the Hydra, maybe?
Given that there is a cyclops there normally before post-game, probably before post-game. That's how the Soulflayer Canyon one worked anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I ran through shadow fort to go do the hydra quest and there was no gore cyclops to be seen. Maybe later?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

gibbed posted:

Given that there is a cyclops there normally before post-game, probably before post-game. That's how the Soulflayer Canyon one worked anyway.

It mentioned that it's the Condemned type - the gigantic chained prisoners with the damaging spike armor - they're easily as tough as Hydras, if not moreso, so I'd imagine that it'd come after. It'd be an amazing dick move for the player to stumble onto something like that before they're ready.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It mentioned that it's the Condemned type - the gigantic chained prisoners with the damaging spike armor - they're easily as tough as Hydras, if not moreso, so I'd imagine that it'd come after. It'd be an amazing dick move for the player to stumble onto something like that before they're ready.
In the case of the Soulflayer Canyon one, you had to take a quest from Bitterblack for it to show up. I'd imagine this is the same.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

So I got a few vocation levels in sorcerer last night and am kinda digging it. What spells are the most useful and which ones should I avoid? I kinda wonder the same thing for the other classes as well. I always just stick to the same skills but I feel like there are always others that could be cool but I don't know if they're gonna be cool enough to replace something like cutting wind or fivefold arrow.

Maelstrom/Seism, Gicel, Miasma and High Fulmination (regular isn't worth it except as a stepping stone to the upgraded one) are all great and never leave my hotbar no matter what.

Maelstrom and Seism both fall into the category of "long charge time and stupid high damage over a huge area", Malestrom is better in pretty much every way but some enemies resist it completely so Seism is a nice "gently caress the world" alternative.

Gicel shoots the ice spikes out in front of you and if you line it up right you can hit every single attack spot in some bosses multiple times, I've used it to 2-shot the drake before, and that was just because I didn't feel like using any of the periapts to buff.

Miasma is overlooked a lot because it isn't very flashy but it hits rather rapidly on anything within the field so if you wait for the right time you can get an enemy stuck in it while they are in their resting off attack animation for nice damage, and the spell charges ridiculously fast for a Sorc spell. All that added damage from the poison status effect doesn't hurt either.

Fulmination is really underwhelming in it's first form because the field it generates around you is really small and doesn't do enough damage to be worth it, but High Fulmination literally melts everything in a 20 ft radius from you, and does enough damage that trash mobs can't easily get through it to hit you without getting fried. It also does the "hit every boss part rapidly" thing. I use it to fight Ogres because the damage is obscene and they seem to get perma-stunlocked by it, Bitterblack isle also has some bosses weak to lightning and this makes short work of them.

Bolide is really neat looking but the meteors aren't targeted so a large majority of them will miss, you will do more damage in the same time span casting any other spell unless you get REALLY lucky.

Pass on the instant kill spells because enemies never decide to stand still in your giant glowing death trap and that kinda defeats the point.

Also make sure to make use of your charge shot and basic mage spells! Ingle never goes out of style, especially with 30% casting time reduction.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Millions posted:

Holy god drat, that's going in the OP. If anyone else has any good screenshots of their Arisen/Pawn that are based on any real people or fictional characters, post them! The showcase section of the OP has been pretty barren since the beginning of the thread.

Samurai Sanders you never posted your Bowie pawn from vanilla DD :colbert:

He-Man and Nier, for a sufficient daily intake of beefcake.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

gibbed posted:

In the case of the Soulflayer Canyon one, you had to take a quest from Bitterblack for it to show up. I'd imagine this is the same.

Where is this guy, by the way? I took the quest from the board on BBI but I wandered around in the whole area and couldn't find anything aside from the usual harpy mobs and such.

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Where is this guy, by the way? I took the quest from the board on BBI but I wandered around in the whole area and couldn't find anything aside from the usual harpy mobs and such.

I found mine in the spot where you cross the ravine where the normal cyclops usually shows up, near the exit (or entrance if you entered from the Greatwall). It's one of the small guys, not the huge prisoner ones.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Lunethex posted:

Is that Hellfire armor?

Except the gloves and the helm, yes. Cloak, greaves, and chest are all Hellfire. Gloves are Sinner's for now, until I get the Hellfire upgrade(the Sinner's gauntlets miss the red.) The headpiece is the..Dragon Wing thing, I actually forget the proper name of it off the top of my head.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I added a bunch of pawns to the OP. Everybody make sure you're not image leeching from Capcom!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My pawn just came back from helping someone named Gwen, and I guess she was well liked because she got a crapton of curatives and gear as gifts. :stare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know what the amount of Rift crystals you get from having your pawn rented is based on? Time? Experience? If it's time, it might be possible to game the system with a friend by hiring your friend's pawn and then leaving your console on for a few days.

EDIT: It does cap at 1 million though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 1, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

What in the hell? I got Aelinore as my beloved even though I haven't talked to her in forever and she's supposed to be dead.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Anyone know what the amount of Rift crystals you get from having your pawn rented is based on? Time? Experience? If it's time, it might be possible to game the system with a friend by hiring your friend's pawn and then leaving your console on for a few days.

EDIT: It does cap at 1 million though.

No it's based on the EXP they earn. You can game the system by having people repeatedly hire your pawn and 5 star them though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Miijhal posted:

What in the hell? I got Aelinore as my beloved even though I haven't talked to her in forever and she's supposed to be dead.

Who else did you have at max affinity? I've never been able to have anyone but Aelinore unless I skip the last quest in her arc, rescuing her from the Duke's lovely old summer house not too long before fighting the dragon.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

titties posted:

Who else did you have at max affinity? I've never been able to have anyone but Aelinore unless I skip the last quest in her arc, rescuing her from the Duke's lovely old summer house not too long before fighting the dragon.

Pretty much everyone else. I also didn't do that quest to save her because it glitched out, and the last play-through I straight up tossed her off the castle to her death.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Did someone just summon my pawn Jaie? They gave them a ton of gear thanks!

Is there any way I can tell who the last person who hired my pawn was? I'd like to friend add them for being so cool

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That was probably me, I started on playthrough 2 and was bringing along goon pawns and seeing if I had anything better in my storage for them. If you want you can friend me and then borrow my higher level warrior pawn for free instead of rift crystals if there is a big level gap.

If anyone needs some unidentified tier 3 bitter black items I have a fair bit in storage because I need about 2 million rift crystals to check it all it. It's a shame you can't trade any of the DLC gear :( The new lantern is so much better and there is a tier 3 ring that makes it so water doesn't put it out.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Is there any way I can tell who the last person who hired my pawn was? I'd like to friend add them for being so cool

You can only see their online IDs once during that period after resting and receiving gifts, critique, and rift crystals, after that, it's gone forever!

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Speaking of gifting, how can you give items to other people's pawn that aren't random crap? I want to give some worthwhile stuff for pawns that really helped me out (or a forgery or two), but I can't ever give anything other than stuff like berries or twigs.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Some stuff can't be gifted. To gift equipment you have to equip it on the pawn, so you can only gift equipment their vocation can use. Equipment for hybrid vocations can't be gifted at all.

Lunethex posted:

You can only see their online IDs once during that period after resting and receiving gifts, critique, and rift crystals, after that, it's gone forever!

On PS3 you can see players you've been connected to recently on the dashboard, not sure about 360.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Karanas posted:

Speaking of gifting, how can you give items to other people's pawn that aren't random crap? I want to give some worthwhile stuff for pawns that really helped me out (or a forgery or two), but I can't ever give anything other than stuff like berries or twigs.

You gift equipment by equipping it to their pawn.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lunethex posted:

In the Rift, you can search pawns that your pawn has met in their travels, I believe.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

gibbed posted:

In the Rift, you can search pawns that your pawn has met in their travels, I believe.

Is this list in any sort of order?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

TescoBag posted:

It was me. I think he did well with a Chimera despite is level. I gave him all the duplicate clothes he could carry but we didn't find pants...

After restarting a save for DA I miss my Golden Belt. But this time I found a nice white wolf hat. I still love pawn chatter : "Never mind the beast, I'll take the loot!" Acquisitor is the best pawn inclination.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, seeing how much better Fulmination seems to do against enemies on Bitterblack Isle, I've reshuffled my Sorcerer Pawn's skills. Just Fulmination. Will see how well it works tomorrow.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

TescoBag posted:

Is this list in any sort of order?
Doesn't seem to be sorted in any particular way, unfortunately.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

^^^ Some stuff can't be gifted. To gift equipment you have to equip it on the pawn, so you can only gift equipment their vocation can use. Equipment for hybrid vocations can't be gifted at all.

On PS3 you can see players you've been connected to recently on the dashboard, not sure about 360.

They don't show up in Players Met. You have to be directly connected with another player for their name to appear there. Also it shows the game you were with that person on, so for example the latest person I played with directly was back on the 22nd on Resident Evil 6.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Godsbane Dragonblood farming :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I wasn't ready to start a new character for Dark Arisen, but I did want a little something to freshen up the game aside from the new area / creatures / gear. As I mentioned, I've been playing through the story this time using only the gear I have found during this playthrough.

It has added a bit of fun, I find myself looking forward to the next drop again, as well as switching classes just to use the new thing I found. It draws the combat out a little more because I can't one-shot everything, some stuff takes 2 shots. It's also nice to see that some of the new items are in the loot tables for the overworld.

Some boring screens:

ONWARD

All-Girl All-Goon Murder Squad: Dark Arisen

(clockwise) The Jiggler, Cersei, Murder-chan, Bronson

• Locked thread