Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land

THNDRTHF posted:

lemme use this poo poo on my mixtape if nobody has claimed it
You got it man. And I haven't been hiding out, I posted something about a week or so ago :P 17 days ago but who's countin

SHOPPA 4 LYFE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
bet

murder was the case

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 1, 2013

T2_
Oct 13, 2011
dope

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
yeah, like that one a lot. got me pumped for work this morning.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I like it a lot too, but is that a Klan hood on the image?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
/\ fixed

naw just some poo poo i painted yesterday, hadn't thought of that till you said something, maybe subconsciously it is i dunno

its some abstract teeth lookin poo poo but i see what you mean haha

\/ fixed

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 1, 2013

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Yeah I definitely thought it was a klan hood when I saw it on instagram and thought it was weird/didn't get it.

Track is dope though. I like the chops and effects when the vocals get weird.

Ladle Lady posted:

That's the only song that kind of thing is done on. I was attempting to do that cliche thing where 'it sounds like two dudes but it's actually one!!!' and clearly it didn't work this time. I definitely, definitively memorize each verse in and out before I record.

Word my fault for only listening to the first one.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 1, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
my homie wildcard dropped a video today:

Wildcard - "Suicide King Blues"

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
Woohoo another one. I'm productive this week.

Itchy trigger finger. Coming in a few.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 2, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
its private

gotta share the secret link

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
Here it is https://soundcloud.com/majinjuu/work-flow

e: For some reason, i can't sem to get the levels on this right. It sounds fine in Ableton, but when I listen to it in my car (which has a pretty good system) the sub comes out too loud, and the kicks too low. Guess I'll have to go back and gently caress with it tonight.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 2, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I monitor on some Behringer Truth 8" things directly coming out of my external soundcard, which gives me "studio" sound. I then export the song and play it in iTunes through my found stereo (home amp, 1 aiwa speaker and 1 bose speaker) - I have it set up so that if it redlines my monitors that means it crackles in the home speakers.

So I turn everything up as loud as it goes, and reductively manage volumes till they are the right proportion, then I max out on the master channel until just below the loudest before the speakers crack. It works p good for me. I don't actually pay attention to redlining the master channel, since I can output into my MV8800 and add about another 6db to the signal chain.

It makes my poo poo really loving loud, but still clean. It's good to use several sources for monitoring, and to be really familiar with your equipment. I use a feather in front of the bass port to check low end frequency volume that can't be easily reproduced by the speakers and heard by your naked ears.

mmmm naked ears

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember

THNDRTHF posted:

I monitor on some Behringer Truth 8" things directly coming out of my external soundcard, which gives me "studio" sound. I then export the song and play it in iTunes through my found stereo (home amp, 1 aiwa speaker and 1 bose speaker) - I have it set up so that if it redlines my monitors that means it crackles in the home speakers.

So I turn everything up as loud as it goes, and reductively manage volumes till they are the right proportion, then I max out on the master channel until just below the loudest before the speakers crack. It works p good for me. I don't actually pay attention to redlining the master channel, since I can output into my MV8800 and add about another 6db to the signal chain.

It makes my poo poo really loving loud, but still clean. It's good to use several sources for monitoring, and to be really familiar with your equipment. I use a feather in front of the bass port to check low end frequency volume that can't be easily reproduced by the speakers and heard by your naked ears.

mmmm naked ears

Yeah, as soon as I get some quality monitors (something small but effective like the 8 inches you got) i'll be able to mix more efficiently. I won't be level checking in my car on the way to work after that.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Actually a car is a great second set of ears after the studio monitors.

Studio monitors tend to make your song sound better than it will elsewhere because your speakers have the fullest response and therefore will reproduce pretty good sound even at bad levels.

So a "real world" set of ears is a good second test to keep your mix on track. I used to bump poo poo in my car as a final version, if there were no 'popping' sounds then it was a greenlight.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
here's something i mixed/mastered last week - it's been up one day and has 8,000 views

it's not exactly hiphop but you get the idea: https://soundcloud.com/thisistrapmusic/the-insurgents-switch

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember

THNDRTHF posted:

here's something i mixed/mastered last week - it's been up one day and has 8,000 views

it's not exactly hiphop but you get the idea: https://soundcloud.com/thisistrapmusic/the-insurgents-switch

I think it qualifies. I want Missy Elliot to just bust in.

The beat I posted before has been reequalized/otherwise tuned up.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Anyone ever tried making tracks *in* their car with a laptop plugged into the aux jack? Might be fun.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
just cruisin on the 405 gettin down on some deep roots no big deal officer

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
You think I could get the stems from that Switch track? I think I'd like to try and remix it. Try and maintain the vibe from the intro without trappin too hard.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I'm sorry but no loving way lol.

I can send you something that I own, but that doesn't belong to me.

Here's a photo of French Montana wearing my friends jacket (hung out last night) in his new video that came out yesterday:

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
also i think i met 3 dudes from A$AP mob last night (not sure the level of involvement but...), and 2 dudes from GQ magazine

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

SHOPPA 4 LYFE posted:

You think I could get the stems from that Switch track? I think I'd like to try and remix it. Try and maintain the vibe from the intro without trappin too hard.

actually you know what that answer was too harsh - how about this - i will ask the kids and get back to you - i will at least ask, who knows maybe they are down...it's a favor for you fuxin with me on that beat

let's build regardless, i will check but can't promise anything except i'm gonna murk that poo poo you sent me

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember

THNDRTHF posted:

actually you know what that answer was too harsh - how about this - i will ask the kids and get back to you - i will at least ask, who knows maybe they are down...it's a favor for you fuxin with me on that beat

let's build regardless, i will check but can't promise anything except i'm gonna murk that poo poo you sent me

Yeah man, i'm just getting my stuff out there, so I know it's a big favor. And yes I'm always down to collab, no matter the size of the project.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

some new poo poo for y'all ft. a bunch of harry nilsson bits chopped up
https://soundcloud.com/weirdbeer/nilsson-trillsson

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
this is like a hug from a girl with big titties
https://soundcloud.com/ill-sgimoto/10-soul-in-the-hole

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I like it. The way you use the samples is Moodymannesque (albeit in a hip-hop style, not housey). Maybe the bass is too loud/compressed?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Thoogsby posted:

this is like a hug from a girl with big titties
https://soundcloud.com/ill-sgimoto/10-soul-in-the-hole

did you make this poo poo or are you just showing us stuff you like

e: im asking bc i'm super into this poo poo

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 9, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

THNDRTHF posted:

did you make this poo poo or are you just showing us stuff you like

e: im asking bc i'm super into this poo poo

no its just super dope

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i agree i was about to fly you out to new york son hahah

thanks tho, i literally listened to that all last night working on some design :420:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

my pleasure. I bought his tape this morning, it's loaded with this poo poo.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember

THNDRTHF posted:

i agree i was about to fly you out to new york son hahah

thanks tho, i literally listened to that all last night working on some design :420:

hey i wanna go to new york.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
word lol

let's see if i can get enough play off this tape for a followup release lets see whats good, where are you right now?

e: nm nola, well poo poo im tryin to get down there maybe we gotta do a goon rapper exchange program or some poo poo haha

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember

THNDRTHF posted:

word lol

let's see if i can get enough play off this tape for a followup release lets see whats good, where are you right now?

e: nm nola, well poo poo im tryin to get down there maybe we gotta do a goon rapper exchange program or some poo poo haha

haha we can work something out. I'm looking to move out of where i am right now.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Chwoka posted:

i'm high on life. peep my next mixtape: "livin' the spice of life."

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
each one teach one

http://vimeo.com/25318752

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

you ableton guys use the ableton groove pool or do you turn the grid off and write the swing in by hand?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
^^ Depends on my mood. If I'm doing something that lends itself to being very quantized, I'll usually throw some kind of groove from the pool on there just to make it less robotic. Also sometimes I just take a breakbeat and recreate the pattern via midi (all the way down to lining up my midi notes to like .0001 seconds of the timing of the original part) then save that as a groove just so I can have it around later.

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.

this is really top 5 illest videos i've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Sick man, I'm downloading this.

This is just a test I'm doing after months of being too busy with work. I'm sampling Pink Reason, David Harvey, Galaxy 2 galaxy, Naturecore (pre-Vegan Reich band), and probably somebody else I forgot.

• Locked thread